Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars

Absolutely loved it! My 2nd most favorite ST movie after the first live action especially since it's written by the first film's screenwriter. Knowing now that Invasion was written by somebody else probably more than ever solidifies why I never really got into it. Casper Van Dien showing off his vocal chops as a more mature sounding Rico and Dina Meyer coming back as Dizzy in the most plot driven of ways (no spoilers :tongue: ) was nostalgic at it's very best.

I saw that not long back and I agree its really excellent, every one who liked Starship Troopers this ones well worth watching. ^_^

SPOILER: Show
Like everything was great and my only mini nit pick was the Sky Marshal Amy Snapp doing everything for popularity I just wished that they'd beefed that out with more like she wanted Mars resources hence why she wanted to destroy the planet as then they could mine them after it blew up. Oh yeah and I wish they'd had more of a conversation where Jonny goes Carl so you want to tell me why you posed as my dead girlfriend but made it serious and not about gay panic jokes. As it could have made for interesting long conversation if done really well and no I'm not implying Carls gay it's more it could have been an adult conversation between to comrades and how far people will go in war to get shit done as that was always one of the themes of the first movie that you do what ever it takes to kill bugs
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:06 pm

WALL-E. I forgot how damn good it is, it's no wonder I was obsessed with it for like two years when I was a kid. The final movie is a goddamn masterpiece, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see Trash Planet as it would've been made in 1994, complete with Gels in place of humans, and the spartacus-style robot revolution against them. On a side note, the PS2, PSP, and PC version of the video game adaptation are absolutely fantastic, and definitely my favorite licensed game of all time.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 am

Last night, I watched ARRIVAL for the first time, and my god, I should really stop judging movies before I see them. I remember seeing the theatrical poster and I was like, "oh, ANOTHER Hollywood sci fi movie, can't wait to watch more exploding aliens. Oh hey and this one's space ship is shaped like a banana, that's new", and while an alien DID explode at one point, I'm so glad I was wrong about this film. The twist came completely out of left field, but I can't wait to watch it again and see where they hinted at it. My only issue is that
SPOILER: Show
Louise still went through with the future she saw, despite knowing how everything went, and didn't even attempt to change anything. I read up on the short story it was based on, The Story of Your Life, and it further elaborated on the concept of free will and the butterfly effect, which I think would've been really cool to see be implemented into the movie, but I can see why they didn't. So much time was taken up by Louise and Ian talking to the Heptapods and teaching them, that there wasn't much time in the two hour space they were given to explore chaos theory and free will after the twist took place.
All in all, I'm really glad I watched this film, and I can't wait to see how it impacts how big budget science fiction movies are made from now on. Next I'm going to marathon the Jurassic Park series, and maybe I won't hate Jurassic World as much as I did the first time.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 am

Watched The Darkest Hour. The way Oldman pulled off Churchill feels like he's the real deal, a lot of chutzpah and anxiety in closed-door moments. Eminently quotable, found myself laughing and moved, and once it was over I rose from my chair and applauded. Damn awesome, it should be the bookend to Downfall/Der Untergang.

His outbursts is now one of my favorite scenes, a Churchill who once pursued painting as a means of de-stressing himself, pitted against a Hitler who was also a half-assed painter and was aiming to empty all the museums of the time for his own art museum in Linz.

whether it was, uh, part of my duty e-e-entering into... ...into negotiations with, um... ...that... ...that corporal... ...uh, that child. Monster of wickedness. That butcher. That savage. Monstrous savage. That wicked... Housepainter.

Housepainter!
Last edited by soul.assassin on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am

Godzilla VS King Ghidorah. Stupid cheesy fun, I love it.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Damn awesome, it should be the bookend to Downfall/Der Untergang.

If you’re comparing it to that masterpiece, then I have to watch it!
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Did the movie address Churchill drug addiction?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Did the movie address how Churchill fucked India up the ass during the Bengal famine?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 am

Did the movie address Churchill drug addiction?

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Did the movie address how Churchill fucked India up the ass during the Bengal famine?

No, and no. Of course the film is not without its critics, mostly coming from the left.

The film mainly concerns about the decision whether to surrender or fight on. Gallipoli was one of several of the known hot buttons which launches him into rage, as well as some of his earlier mistakes mentioned by his political opponents.

Full stop before this thread goes political.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Saw Annihilation tonight. Great, atmospheric horror-sci-fi, very dreamlike and intense.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 am

Mute.

Soooo on this Friday night I chose to stay in, have a bottle of wine with a friend and watch Duncan Jones' MUTE. This has been a film we've looked forward to for a long time because Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code, Warcraft) has always referred to the movie as his passion project. An idea he's been working on since before he even came up with Moon. And it sure feels like it.

MUTE is certainly an interesting film. The movie makes choices both in character and narrative that certainly feel like the filmmaker has given it much personal thought. Duncan Jones even dedicates the film to his father (David Bowie, RIP) and the childhood nanny (Marion Skene) who helped raise him so I feel there's A TON of meaning going on in the behind the narrative and character actions.... alas the movie never connects with the viewer. It feels like a movie that went through 100 different variations over the years and even the futuristic setting (2050 Berlin) feels like an unnecessary addition thrown onto the film when one day Jones realized he had the clout to turn his nori into a Blade Runner-esque Neo noir. Seriously, aside from a shot or background element here & there the movie could easily have played out in 1950 or 2018 without affecting the narrative. I'd be curious to see Duncan Jones go into detail about how this idea evolved over the years - i.e. in 2001 my first idea for MUTE was the story of a mute bartender looking for character which years later evolved into the story of two AWOL military criminals who do surgeries for the mob that then evolved into Blade Runner but not. Sadly, the movie itself is an aimless mess.

A lot of the key elements of the movie feel removed from what the story is about. The main character Leo (Alexander Skarsgaard) is a mute Amish man living in a futuristic Berlin. His being mute doesn't really play into the movie (though it sounds like a cool element for a fun noir) nor does his being Amish in a world of hyper-technology so ultimately he just ends up being a protagonist who walks through the movie without a presence. The movie also deals with serious material in absolutely tone deaf ways. When one of the villains is callously revealed to be a full-on predatory pedophile the film doesn't really deal with that in a serious way, they instead merely use it as a form of "will he or won't he" with a child character in the third act. There is literally a sequence where one character calls the pedophile out after discovering his recording underage girls in dressing rooms (Character A by the way has known Character B's dangerous tendencies for a while yet still lets his young daughter be in the same room with this man), threatens to kill him and then the two immediately go out to the mall to get drunk and celebrate. It's odd. Not effective odd, just odd in the more "No one at Neflix really questioned some of these narrative decisions did they?" odd.

Ultimately MUTE is a long two hours. It's not without merit, again - the film is a very curious but pure example of how passion projects rarely translate well - but in the end it might very well be Duncan Jones' weakest movie.

A bummer. I went in with high hopes. 15 minutes in I was already so disengaged I was browsing things on my iPad.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:42 am

Weaker than Warcraft?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:04 am

I don't remember a thing about Warcraft. But, I also probably won't remember a thing about Mute a week from now. It's tough to say. I'd have to revisit both in the same period of time to be absolutely sure.... and that is something I will never force on myself.

I'm hoping now that Jones got these two projects out of his system he'll do something more akin to Source Code which while not revolutionary by any means, is a damn fine piece of entertainment that I can still vividly recall to this day. He does have a real talent.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Alien Resurrection (yeah, I'm ripping off Gendo Papa's formatting when he talked about Mute, but it's a good way to help me structure my thoughts)

About 2 or 3 years, I watched the first three Alien films for the first time with my brother, a long time fan of the series. They were pretty good (although I felt that Alien 3 was the best one), but I was curious to check out the oft reviled Alien Resurrection to see if it was really that bad. My brother, understandably, didn't want to rewatch it and I never took the initiative to watch it on my own time. However, when he came to visit over the weekend, I finally managed to convince him into watching the film with me.

So, Alien Resurrection. It's kind of a fascinating film, isn't it? Ever since Aliens, Fox had wanted to make a sequel that could easily be turned into a big name franchise - this was why Alien 3 went through so many different concepts and ideas before it became the film that it is (which is pretty hilarious considering how many things it does that are guaranteed to end a franchise right then and there, and that's not a bad thing).

I bring this up because Resurrection does a lot of things to make Alien a franchisable brand again - bringing back Ripley (now as a badass with Kung Fu Grip Action), introducing a ragtag gang of 'likeable' soldiers, introducing new Alien types, and leaving things pretty open for a future film. But at the same time, there's all kinds of really weird or disturbing ideas - the scientist who seems to hold a fetish towards the Xenomorphs, the failed Ripley clones, everything to do with the Newborn - that make the film feel like a perversion of being marketable. As if the director was saying "You want to make a franchise out of this? Alright, then you'll have to make a franchise out of THIS!"

It's actually pretty unsettling at times, and I gotta give it credit for that.

Otherwise, it's an okay film. The editing can be haphazard and thoughtless, shot composition ranges from overly wacky to really effective, the use of colour is drab and dull for no particular reason (having a cast with dark hair wearing dark clothes against mostly dark environments is almost never a good idea), a fair chunk of the dialogue contains writer Joss Whedon's usual nonsense of inappropriate cliché lines/pointless swearing/snarking for its own sake, and I have no clue as to why anyone is doing anything beyond 'don't die/Xenomorphs, man!'

But at the same time, it's competently produced. A lot of the disturbing elements work really well, a couple of the action scenes manage to pack a punch, and the film managed to make laugh on more than a few occasions through committing to the sheer ridiculousness of its own nonsense (the sergeant guy nervously saluting his men after they got slaughtered in an escape pod genuinely had my brother and I breaking out in laughter). As something to watch for two hours, it's compelling enough to see through to the end.

I can totally understand why Alien fans hate this film, but I could never take it as a serious continuation considering how good a job Alien 3 did at ending the franchise. So I didn't, and on its own merits as some kind of weird curio, it's a decent watch.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 am

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Alien Resurrection [size=85]

So, Alien Resurrection. It's kind of a fascinating film, isn't it? Ever since Aliens, Fox had wanted to make a sequel that could easily be turned into a big name franchise - this was why Alien 3 went through so many different concepts and ideas before it became the film that it is (which is pretty hilarious considering how many things it does that are guaranteed to end a franchise right then and there, and that's not a bad thing).

I bring this up because Resurrection does a lot of things to make Alien a franchisable brand again - bringing back Ripley (now as a badass with Kung Fu Grip Action), introducing a ragtag gang of 'likeable' soldiers, introducing new Alien types, and leaving things pretty open for a future film. But at the same time, there's all kinds of really weird or disturbing ideas - the scientist who seems to hold a fetish towards the Xenomorphs, the failed Ripley clones, everything to do with the Newborn - that make the film feel like a perversion of being marketable. As if the director was saying "You want to make a franchise out of this? Alright, then you'll have to make a franchise out of THIS!"

It's actually pretty unsettling at times, and I gotta give it credit for that.

Otherwise, it's an okay film. The editing can be haphazard and thoughtless, shot composition ranges from overly wacky to really effective, the use of colour is drab and dull for no particular reason (having a cast with dark hair wearing dark clothes against mostly dark environments is almost never a good idea), a fair chunk of the dialogue contains writer Joss Whedon's usual nonsense of inappropriate cliché lines/pointless swearing/snarking for its own sake, and I have no clue as to why anyone is doing anything beyond 'don't die/Xenomorphs, man!'.

I agree with this as someone who prefers Alien Resurrection to Aliens 3 I like the idea of human like aliens as its so unsettling and I find the new born queen creepy as hell and the animatronic puppet moments in that film stood out to me so much and there done so well. I just wish though to this day that Josh had not written it because it doesn't delve deep enough in to what makes some one human and a monster its to much on the surface level. There was a dark horse that went in to this better called Aliens Labyrinth and it showed how the line between monster and human can over lap and is really disturbing on so many levels.

I also hated how this film never went in to more on about Weyland having androids build new androids models because that's some really jarring stuff in its self and its clear that Winona's character can lie, under stand deception even kill yet still come off as really human yet they never go in to how she can ignore the behaviour chip rules which Bishop had. I think that was what got me about the movie the concept was so good and the puppets department did so well it was just let down by boring stereotype characters who were there to die and the script which in the right hands could have been so amazing and dark and a great take on horror given the chance and its no surprise that I feel the same way about Event Horizon as that had a lot of similar problems to this movie.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm

The latest film that i saw was Perfect Blue. I personally enjoyed it, regardless of it's minor flaws. Overall, the 80's and the 90's are my personal favourite eras for Anime.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Julius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Julius » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

"Wild strawberries" by Ingmar Bergman, absolutely unforgettable,very poetic and sentimental,not in a frivolous way.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Darkest Hour. It was a good film, but a rather poor depiction of history.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Get Out did such an amazing job crafting an ambiguous atmosphere up until the big reveal. Then it transformed into a more standard horror movie.
It didn't drop the ball completely, but it kinda disappointed me, having seen Killing of A Sacred Deer rather recently, which managed to uphold the tension up until the very end.
But while Killing of A Sacred Deer is more consistent overall, Get Out is able to reach heights, Deer can only dream of.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 pm

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:Godzilla VS King Ghidorah. Stupid cheesy fun, I love it.

If you’re comparing it to that masterpiece, then I have to watch it!

I've seen that movie as well, in fact, I have an entire collection of Godzilla films. But sadly, for good or for worse, I've never seen Godzilla vs Megalon
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Darkest Hour. It was a good film, but a rather poor depiction of history.

Inaccuracy, just like The Patriot, leads to one to get and read a history book.

I do recall that many movies produced in the 40s are mostly to bring out the patriotic character, to rouse people into supporting the war effort, and so some facts have been glossed out in favor of propaganda. Hence I approached the film as if it's one of such films.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Film and Video”