Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:31 am

The Great Wall 2017

Don't get me wrong its not a bad film but its not good ether it falls in to the okay plot line margin in my view. Its just kind of sad as this film has great ideas it has great Asian actors but there just not used to the max here and you can just feel that the Hollywood producer and writers have tightened the noose around Yimou Zhang's neck and really not allowed him to do his own thing which is unfair as when he gets to do his own thing like in house of flying daggers he's brilliant. I have to say this though the white saviour plot does hurt this film in a big way in fact I think had they cut Matt Damon out this would have been a better film because it just feels like he's there to be tacked on to Lin Mae's story line and being dragged along behind it in a really uncreative way. I also think the CGI kind of lets this down as the monsters all look to much the same and I wish they'd made the Queen and her Royal guard more colourful and unique.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:18 pm

I’m really tired of the “faceless army of indistinguishable and therefore morally expendable monsters” cliche. The only time I’ve liked it was in Edge of Tomorrow.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I’m really tired of the “faceless army of indistinguishable and therefore morally expendable monsters” cliche. The only time I’ve liked it was in Edge of Tomorrow.

I agree with that as it did work there really well and in some respects helped with Edge of Tomorrows tension as they moved under the breaches sand. I think with The Great Wall, it's just tragic because you have these really colouful beautiful Chinese sets and armour then you like pan to the monsters and there so bland and green. It just got to me because Chinese and Japanese culture has these awesome mythology monster designs yet none of this bright colour or design was used and when there piling up on the drabber CGI great wall no word of a lie they blend in with it horribly.

What they could have done.  SPOILER: Show

What they did.  SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:00 am

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

I like Ghostbusters 2 more than the first one. I like Golden Circle more than the first one. This movie is outrageous. If you thought the last movie was a bit much with it's sex scene and heads exploding? This movie tops BOTH of those in the most outrageous insane UN politically correct way possible. I am a bit disappointed though. I expected the movie to have the world drastically changed after the events of the last movie. But this is Matt Vaughn I guess. He cares more about making a movie fun to watch rather than getting caught up in details.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:02 am

I love Ghostbusters 2 and I’m always surprised that it seems so reviled, so we have that in common at least.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Dante's Peak

This was one of those movies that I frequently saw as a kid, growing up in the 90's--AKA, the "World-isn't-so-bad-so-lets-make-disaster-movies-because-those-seem-more-fear-inducing-and-relevant-than-any-films-about-war-or-terrorism- phase of Hollywood motion pictures.

It was also duelling with another volcano-based disaster film that would premiere a couple months later--the significantly more cheesy, less scientifically accurate, and less profitable Volcano

After rewatching it on cable, it's goddamn amazing how good it holds up, especially the effects work. The mid-to-late 1990s was truly the peak of special effects in Hollywood, where practical effects were still heavy, only slightly aided by CGI that is virtually undetectable. Every single effect from when the volcano begins erupting, save one obvious miniature shot that lasts all of 2 seconds, is outstanding.

It's still a pulse-pounding thrill ride that is surprisingly well-crafted for a disaster picture.

I cannot fathom why this only has a 5.9/10 on IMDB, it should be about a full point higher than that at least, or at most in the low 7's.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Bright 2017

I just wish this had been better there is so much in this that I loved I thought the concept of a modern magical world was deeply fascinating I like that it tugs on the problems of race and racial tensions. I just wish it wasn't so tropey in its story line and ideas of fantasy faces though (Elves high sociality Orcs dumb ect drug lords, gangs good cop, bad cop) and that Will Smith Character had just been more likeable because he's an asshole for way to long in this film.

The film also reminded me off one of my favourite 80's movies which is Alien Nation from 1988 which does the same thing but with much more style and grace and got the misunderstandings of race way better in my view. I would like netflix to not give up on this though as it has the potential to be something so brilliant in the right hands like maybe they could do an eight season series on it and really flesh it out and break the dead weight tropey shackles and give it a whole new lease of life.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:22 pm

While it's not doing well with Critics. It's got an almost 90% Positive Audience Reception on RT. Netflix has already Greenlit a sequel.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:While it's not doing well with Critics. It's got an almost 90% Positive Audience Reception on RT. Netflix has already Greenlit a sequel.

Yeah I saw that the critic's really hated it I just hope the sequel really builds on the first film and shakes it up as I think it could be as good as Alien Nation if not better given the chance as its got all of the parts it just needs a really good director to put together in a sleeker more self aware manner. ^_^

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:39 am

I’m watching Bright. I’m only five minutes in but the concept of Will Smith playing the white guy in a buddy cop movie is Oscar worthy.
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:28 pm

In an interview once, in between talks of how awesome he thinks he is for getting where he is on his own, avatar of nepotism/sex offender Max Landis bragged about how he came up with the idea for a movie at lunch, wrote the entire script that very afternoon and then sold that first draft to executives for a cool couple million dollar payoff.

I'm positive Bright is that script.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:In an interview once, in between talks of how awesome he thinks he is for getting where he is on his own, avatar of nepotism/sex offender Max Landis bragged about how he came up with the idea for a movie at lunch, wrote the entire script that very afternoon and then sold that first draft to executives for a cool couple million dollar payoff.

I'm positive Bright is that script.

Reading this my heart just sank firstly because I didn't know Max Landis was a sex offender and that he wrote Bright and secondly because he's wants to do the American Werewolf In London reboot despite that his father is against it and he can not write that reboot like he wrote Bight and if he fucks it up it might be career ending because the original is a huge classic and still has one of the best werewolf transformations ever put to screen.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Wait what

Oh god damn it.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:21 pm

:facepalm:

I knew there was something just off about him, but I didn't think he was actually a molester.

Can I get a link to the newsstory did it just break?
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Going back to Bright for a second, I can totally see it being a first draft. It has some interesting ideas but it's very confused in place and they didn't follow their concepts to a logical conclusion. If the epic fantasy battle replaces the death of Jesus in this universe, why is Los Angeles called Los Angeles and why does the dialogue incorporate common Christian idioms into its language?

If there was a Jesus how do elves feel about him?

I wanted to see more about the weird shamanic Orc culture, too. Hopefully they just pull Landis off this and put it in the hands of a more competent writer for some sequels. It's probably too costly to do a TV series.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Going back to Bright for a second, I can totally see it being a first draft. It has some interesting ideas but it's very confused in place and they didn't follow their concepts to a logical conclusion.

That's a common thing in a LOT of Max Landis stories. Chronicle notwithstanding.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:38 pm

View Original PostRay wrote::facepalm:

Well now everything he's ever said about Superman kind of rings Hollow. I knew there was something just off about him, but I didn't think he was actually a molester.

Can I get a link to the newsstory did it just break?

https://movieweb.com/max-landis-accused ... uct-abuse/
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Chronicle is one of those movies that gets credit for being more inventive than it is just for not being a straight adaptation of an existing superhero. It's basically a serious take on Meteor Man.
the prophecy is true

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Chronicle is one of those movies that gets credit for being more inventive than it is just for not being a straight adaptation of an existing superhero. It's basically a serious take on Meteor Man.

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:https://movieweb.com/max-landis-accused-sexual-misconduct-abuse/

Fuck. When is this going to stop?

https://movieweb.com/dustin-hoffman-acc ... rontation/

...Jesus
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Dustin Hoffman. . . FUCK.

Sigh. . . well I guess it's up to me to get thread back on track.

BATMAN FOREVER
One of my guiltiest pleasures. I watched this all the time as a kid because I was a huge fan of Jim Carrey. His performance as Riddler elevates this films rewatch value immensely.

I'm just glad to watch a Superhero movie where we aren't at each others throat over it.

Return to “Film and Video”