Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 am

Watched Gone Girl today.

The film is pretty damn good. I've never read the book (although I want to do so now), but the film does a good job of exploring the themes of commitment and interpersonal relationships, with a bit of subtext on public perception of a character and how the outward perception of marriage differs from its internal workings and difficulties. The plot managed to surprise me several times; whenever I thought it was going to do something predictable it managed to subvert my expectations. I've never actually seriously watched a film starring Ben Affleck or Rosamund Pike before but both of them were great in their roles; the dynamic between the two is what drives much of the film's plot and themes. The film manages to be disturbing on a psychological level by exploring human relationships, and it's very unnerving at times. Reznor's soundtrack is also amazing, adding an air of distortion and darkness to certain scenes while creating a sense of false happiness or sincerity in others. Overall it's very well done, and probably one of the more thought-provoking films I've seen this year.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 am

Chinatown, The Maltese Falcon,Double Indemnity

Chinatown as I am doing a term paper on it, the other two for comparison as film-noir played straight, to justify why Chinatown is a revisionism of the film-noir genre.

THey are all very good, and thinks Hollywood better think about going back to basics, and stop assuming the audience is stupid- people could handle the three mentioned, they can always handle something like it or heavier.

I especially like Chinatown due to the really dark overtone, and a superbly downer ending.
A nice representation of the corruption of authority, the pessimistic nature of humankind. (And a nice balance of the aura of competence from the detective even though after closer inspection, he was tumbling about in the dark- not too sure how they did it, but it works)
I feel old

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:17 pm

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Everyone and their mother said this movie was bad
and you shouldn't watch it. I came into it thinking it would be total crap. Boy was I
mistaken, in fact I really, really liked it!!
Easily the best SM movie yet.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:04 pm

review for a movie i watched last year i forgot to put up

COLD IN JULY (2014) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO63ccU6ce0
- utterly fantastic film
- a extremely 80s & john carpenter style film especially the score, its a thriller, western, mystery, elements of slasher movies in there, crime drama, revenge, corrupt cops all thrown in to a blender.
- the trumative cast of michael c hall, sam shepard & don johnson (who i have not seen in forever) is phenomenal together, c hall is the fish out of water, sam is the dark troubled one, and don is the fun wild card.
- what you think this film is going to be about and what the trailer leads you to believe is wrapped up in the first 30 minutes, this is a film with layers upon layers and twist after twist.
- praying for a sequel as there are a good number of loose ends left, and i would love to see this cast together again, its unlikely as the film pretty much flew under the radar, but one can hope.
- Highly Recommend

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:39 am

Wall-E.

Robots in love. This was just what I needed. It's really cute. As per usual, the animation was excellent. It kind of reminds me of idiocracy, but in space...with fat people. Adiposocracy, perhaps.

For the first fucking time, I actually cried watching an animated movie. I must be pregnant.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:01 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:For the first fucking time, I actually cried watching an animated movie. I must be pregnant.

Someone obviously hasn't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:24 am

Only God Forgives - actually saw this a couple days ago, but it's still in my mind today so might as well post it. Short version: bloody brilliant film, one of the best I've seen in a while. A perfectly paced meditation on consequence, the visually rich film plays out more like a dream than the crime story it depicts. It's a flawed comparison, but the closest I can summarize it would be to imagine a bare-bones mob revenge story told with a directorial method that combines the hyper-stylization of Wong Kar Wai and the meditative, dream-like quality of David Lynch. Refn's talent really shines.

Bronson - Another one of Refn's films, this time featuring Tom Hardy as the titular Charlie Bronson--'stage' name of Britain's most famous criminal, Michael Peterson. It follows the violent man as he skips around prisons and nuthouses. Extremely stylized and masterfully shot, the real highlight of this film is without doubt Hardy's performance. He sinks into the role so well that it's difficult to see him as an actor beneath the character of Bronson. His charisma, his unapologetic stare, and his visceral brutality draw the viewer in to the film's world and it doesn't let go.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:16 am

Awesome, glad to see you liked OGF, Merri. As the anti-Drive, it's probably my favourite Refn, and I recently bought the Blu-ray as well. The visuals and Cliff Martinez' soundtrack ('Bride of Chang' and 'Sister, Pt. 1' in particular) are simply awe-inducing.

Someone obviously hasn't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet.

I concur.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:35 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Awesome, glad to see you liked OGF, Merri. As the anti-Drive, it's probably my favourite Refn, and I recently bought the Blu-ray as well. The visuals and Cliff Martinez' soundtrack ('Bride of Chang' and 'Sister, Pt. 1' in particular) are simply awe-inducing.
I saw the first half of Drive but still haven't finished it due to a simple lack of opportunity. I really enjoyed what I saw, though. That said, I'm not sure what what you mean by OGF's status as the anti-Drive; it seems to lay well outside the scope of anything I saw addressed in Drive. While the visual cues were similar (as consequence of maintaining same director, really), there didn't seem to be any parallels.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Refn has stated in interviews that OGF is sort of the other side of the coin to Drive. It purposefully harnesses the exact same methods and storytelling devices - in the way it's shot, the mute protagonist (which is even played by the same actor) and very minimal use of exposition to name a few examples - all to create a very different end product, almost the complete opposite in-fact, which was the director's intention; to deconstruct/critique the popularity of the predecessor. Hence, "the anti-Drive" label.
Last edited by Blue Monday on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Merri likes OGF? What the fuck. That's first worthwhile intimation I've ever heard to end it isn't shit. Gahh. Now I may actually have to watch it sooner or later.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:59 pm

I liked Drive, and while I see parallels with OGF (also the twist where the righteous is not the protagonist and all that) OGF was probably not as good as Drive. Still enjoyed it, and I love the Thai police captain. Lovely chap.
I feel old

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Real human bean...

If you've seen and liked Drive and Only God Forgives, I recommend Valhalla Rising. Not quite at the level of those two, but it's another good film from Refn.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 am

Lucy -- it's like all of the Matrix trilogy mashed into one and tries to explore what if a woman's mind surpasses matter, space and even time.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:16 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Now I may actually have to watch it sooner or later.

Not sure if you'd like it or not, Xard. Would be keen to read your thoughts though. Just expect a beautifully shot, ponderous and hypnotically paced film that's story-lite.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:08 am

Its a damn shame that Refn gets so much praise for his recent films, yet in my opinion, his best works are the first two Pusher films, which I never see anyone talk about. Especially the second one, With Blood On My Hands which is in my top 10 films.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:09 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Lucy -- it's like all of the Matrix trilogy mashed into one and tries to explore what if a woman's mind surpasses matter, space and even time.

It wasn't a great movie, I think, but it was certainly a fun one to watch. One of those popcorn movies where you can just shut your brain off and have a fun time.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:18 am

Last night I got around to seeing the ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD: THE MOVIE. It was a little emotional, I won't lie, since I followed the character since 2006. Have a mixed opinion on it (the B-movie he was aiming for works in some aspects, not in others), but overall, I'm more thankful that it exists more than it not existing.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:32 am

i kept hearing for a bit that Refn was going to direct a remake of maniac cop.
and apparently highly respected comic writer Ed Brubaker was to be the screenwriter.

:bigeyes:
:D

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:39 am

Refn's next films are titled I Walk With the Dead and The Neon Demon. I love them already.

Return to “Film and Video”