Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:29 pm

>Judging the best version of Ghost in the Shell without having seen it just because there isn't any nudity.
Lol i'm sorry what?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:38 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:>Judging the best version of Ghost in the Shell without having seen it just because there isn't any nudity.
Lol i'm sorry what?

The 1995 film is universally agreed to be the best version. I have never even heard of someone claiming anything else is even close to the 95 film. Even the Manga. I consider it to be better then Akira.
And I was not judging Stand Alone Complex's quality, I was judging the visuals I have seen in the trailers and the major's visual appearance.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Standard issue does not equal humanlike.

The major's body in-universe is at least top end or something, she uses her appearance as a weapon all that time. I mean, that's why she walks around in a hot female prosthetic body in the first place. She can be anything she wants.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have an off the shelf body most of the time. It seems to be able to take some serious punishment. I'm just thinking of the film and the two TV series I've seen where she gets her head crushed, limbs ripped off, shot, massive blunt trauma, etc and keeps going and she regularly shrugs off jumps and impacts that would splatter a normal human.

I mean, her petite little female body takes more punishment than Batou. (Isn't he prosthetic, too?) She's a tank with boobs.

Will USAGITS get some points if they touch on the ambiguity as to whether the major was even originally biologically female? That's an open question in some versions of the story.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:17 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:The 1995 film is universally agreed to be the best version. I have never even heard of someone claiming anything else is even close to the 95 film. Even the Manga. I consider it to be better then Akira.
And I was not judging Stand Alone Complex's quality, I was judging the visuals I have seen in the trailers and the major's visual appearance.

I saw the dub, and was confused by how Motoko is given a cold, vaguely robotic voice, even though all of the characters have been technologically altered, too.

How's the 2.0 version?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Chuckman: Yeah, it's mentioned rather explicitly (in the movie, manga, and series) that the Major's body (in fact, all of the Section 9 personnel) have premiums in cyborg body maintenance. What's more, they are all combat cyborgs, so they already have premiums on top of really sturdy bodies (think of a special tactics unit rolling out with top-of-the-line IWI Tavors with the best in optics and custom ammunition versus a cop or soldier rolling with an M4 that's been used by eighteen other people).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:56 am

http://collider.com/ghost-in-the-shell- ... y-details/
We’re not doing Puppetmaster. It’s not Laughing Man. It involves Kuze. The Kuze story. The big thing we are doing here is that we’re not necessarily doing an origins backstory, but we are addressing her sense of self and resolving how she defines herself in terms of memories. That’s one of the main thrusts in the story. Inspired by that episode of Affection in Second Gig. It’s bits and pieces of those mixed together.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:55 am

^ well now my expectations for this have collapsed in on themselves to form a black hole. (:|

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 am

I would pay infinite yen if the Individual 11

SPOILER: Show
go cyber-Mishima in full Live Action glory.

wikipedia wrote: The Individual Eleven (個別の11人 Kobetsu no Jū-ichi-nin?) is a fictional terrorist group that Public Security Section 9 deal with in Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG. Their motives are to suppress the refugees into despair and show Japan that they do not belong.

It is an epic for our times.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:40 am

View Original PostRay wrote:^ well now my expectations for this have collapsed in on themselves to form a black hole. (:|

Haha, classic Ray.

Pretty happy they decided to roll with Kuze as the antagonist.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:53 am

I'm more interested in the stuff they said at the bottom regarding getting the details of the world right. The setting doesn't feature a predictive future, but one meant to provoke specific ideas in the audience. Other details like the usage of cables instead of wireless, etc. I'm happy the film seems like it'll really look and feel like GitS.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Tachikoma: Hmm. So tell me, why do we have to bother with mutual security guarantees these days? I mean Japan's got a military, doesn't it?

Tachikoma: Yes, in the current administration is ultra-hawkish, but with Imperial America's economy in the toilet now, they wanna negotiate a new Security Treaty while we're in a position to hold the upper hand. They probably wanna get back at them from losing face last century.

Tachikoma: Huh? What lost of face last century?

Tachikoma: To put it simply, I guess the memories of losing the war built up somewhere is that meant. And because the Article 9 wild card of our constitution is still in effect, the Self-Defense Army can't operate outside the country in any official capacity. We can't own nuclear weapons, either. The 20th century's Security Treaty was signed at the expense of our pride, however, the two worked pretty well as an implicitly indivisible team, America was the spear and Japan's the shield. But our country's now at the point where they face a different kind of threat namely economic issues, I bet this new agreement stem from the desire to protect each other's vulnerable spots. There you go!

Tachikoma: Gosh, you're just a boggling wealth of knowledge. Synchronize that last data with me, OK?

So damn true. But does Scarjo have the carjones - for this unvarshined, shining, double barrelled TRUTH?

Snow: You Yanks carry the standard for being a fundamentally sloppy lot.

So. Damn. True. [tearing up a little] ;_;
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:10 am

View Original PostRay wrote:^ well now my expectations for this have collapsed in on themselves to form a black hole. (:|

I mean, if you wanted to see the Puppetmaster, I could always lend you the Mamoru Oshii film on DVD. I think the Japanese Blu-ray also has English subs.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:46 am

:boingy:
The sexy cloak skin is in!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uR2BA3MFQE

I will say tho, the background behind the shots of the guy getting kicked look great but the back ground behind Scar while she is de-cloaking look poorer.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:06 pm

^ not impressed the CGI looks fake. I've seen better digital effects in one of the Matrix sequels.

Second of all why copy that particular scene from The First Ghost in the Shell movie if you aren't going to do the plot of the first Ghost in the Shell movie Justice?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:13 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Second of all why copy that particular scene from The First Ghost in the Shell movie if you aren't going to do the plot of the first Ghost in the Shell movie Justice?

Just because they aren't just remaking the same story over again doesn't mean they won't do the themes and mythos justice.
Just saying.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Batman v Superman nearly copied that scene in Dark Knight Returns where Superman and Batman fight shot-for-shot. Just because something has fan service doesn't mean the rest of the movie will be any good.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:30 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Batman v Superman nearly copied that scene in Dark Knight Returns where Superman and Batman fight shot-for-shot. Just because something has fan service doesn't mean the rest of the movie will be any good.

You have zero evidence to support the idea that it will be badly made.
Scar Jo's casting is a creative choice you don't agree with not a film making flaw.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:16 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:^ not impressed the CGI looks fake. I've seen better digital effects in one of the Matrix sequels.

Second of all why copy that particular scene from The First Ghost in the Shell movie if you aren't going to do the plot of the first Ghost in the Shell movie Justice?

*Better CGI in the Matrix. My brain can't even process how inane this is.

They're pulling a lot from the original movie, but adding elements from the other GitS renditions, namely second gig. Why should they have to stick to one particular plot and not be able to add elements of others? Merging pieces from the different GitS series makes more sense, that way they can do what they want with the plot and the themes they want to utilize.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:18 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:You have zero evidence to support the idea that it will be badly made.
Scar Jo's casting is a creative choice you don't agree with not a film making flaw.

Just because I disagree with one major flaw a movie has, must mean I dislike the movie ONLY for that particular flaw? Flawless logic! :facepalm:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:48 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Second of all why copy that particular scene from The First Ghost in the Shell movie if you aren't going to do the plot of the first Ghost in the Shell movie Justice?

Some dude getting beat up in the water by a cloaked Major may have been in the first movie, but is that really a scenario exclusive to the plot of that first movie? There's context for situation in the original, but for this clip we aren't burdened with any of that; it's literally just a dude getting beat up, and that could apply to any scenario one wants. Seems to me they adapted a bunch of visually striking scenes and other ideas from various parts of the franchise into their story. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, if you're going to judge a clip out of context for CGI that can only be seen in a few frames (hardly even seconds) you must really be grasping for things to shit on.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Film and Video”