the best 80's film you've seen

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:25 am

Jodie Foster's hair is 80s as fuck in that movie, come on. See also: Shoulderpads.

Seriously, though, the cinematography is pure 80's. Nobody does alternating facial close ups for conversations anymore. The coda with Lecter following Dr. Chilton reminds me of the opening to Dr. No for some reason, though.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:46 pm

I thought of another film that I like that isn't on anyone's list: Crocodile Dundee. It's another comedy, but it's one that I like. Haven't seen it in a very long time.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Some things I'm suprised haven't been mentioned yet (my apologies if I just missed it earlier):

Highlander
Teen Wolf
The Burbs
Stand By Me
The Road Warrior
Beyond Thunderdome
The Last Dragon
Dune
The Dark Crystal
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
They Live
The Secret of Nimh
Weird Science
The Neverending Story
The Golden Child
Blues Brothers
The Lost Boys
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Batman
Gremlins
UHF
The Goonies
Escape from New York
Ladyhawk
The Last Starfighter
Roadhouse
Sixteen Candles
The Karate Kid
Spaceballs
The Wizard
Real Genius
Revenge of the Nerds

I have to say the film that distills the concept "80's movie" down to it's rawest elemental form I can possibly imagine is Solarbabies.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:49 am

They Live certainly deserves a mention.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 am

Stand by Me and Highlander are awesome films for their respective genres. Can't believe I forgot about them.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:44 am

@ NemZ High five on that list. Top pics would be The Neverending Story , lost boys, Golden child and the Secret of Nimh.

I'll add a few more that I haven't heard yet. ( Also making me realize that I watch too much TV.)

Dragnet
Trading Places
Coming to America...yes I know, another Eddie Murphy movie, but it's a classic. James Earl Jones is a trip. And that wedding scene....It was freakin hilarious!
She's having a baby...This movie introduced me to Kate Bush
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 am

Dragnet was awesome, especially that ending rap theme.

Well excuse me copper, mister crime-stopper, what is wrong with what we're doing?
We just like to dance in our goatskin pants around these ancient ruins.

...quite possibly the whitest rap ever.
Last edited by NemZ on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:52 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Dragnet was awesome, especially that ending rap theme.

Well excuse me copper, mister crime-stopper, what is wrong with what we're doing?

related:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtKUyfkBA2w[/url]
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Dragnet was awesome, especially that ending rap theme.

It is the worst rap ever. Can't believe they actually made a video for it. Speaking of rap, anybody see I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 am

Rocky IV. Stallone marches through Siberia to punch the communism out of the evil Ivan and single handedly ending the cold war.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Speaking of that, I always really liked First Blood.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:38 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:...anybody see I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

The scene with Kung Fu Joe and the cops gets me every time. That, and Chris Rock's cameo ('How much for just one rib?')

Hey, why limit our love for the 80s to the US? Some of Jackie Chan's most epic work was in the Eighties: Project A, Wheels on Meals (with one of the greatest fight scenes ever between Jackie and Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez) the 'Lucky Stars' and 'Police Story' films...great time for kung fu and stunt films.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:08 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:The scene with Kung Fu Joe and the cops gets me every time. That, and Chris Rock's cameo ('How much for just one rib?')

Hey, why limit our love for the 80s to the US? Some of Jackie Chan's most epic work was in the Eighties: Project A, Wheels on Meals (with one of the greatest fight scenes ever between Jackie and Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez) the 'Lucky Stars' and 'Police Story' films...great time for kung fu and stunt films.

The pimp and kung fu Joe were a trip. Those gold fish in the shoes. :lol:

And you're right, some good kung fu flicks did come out in the 80's. However I only remember the Shaolin masters one and 3 evil masters( It's called The Masters now).

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Definitely check out the ones on that list. Most of them are films starring not just Jackie Chan, but also Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

bigtotoro
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bigtotoro » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The Last Starfighter

Oh man... I grew up idolizing this movie. I doubt I knew what 3D animation was at the time, but I certainly liked what I saw. Interestingly, this was the first movie to try and pass off animated sequences as photo-real. It looks terrible by today's standards. But it was groundbreaking at the time, and it always makes the nostalgia sauce bubble up within me.
...and Catbus too!!!

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 am

It would definitely have to be SAVAGE STREETS.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9NGNh0HA4[/url]
That soundtrack, that over-acting, oh god, everything about this movie is fantastic.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Back to the Future is the best 80's movie in my mind
Last edited by Dataprime on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

SpaceBalls, I swear that movie cracks me up everytime I see it. Thank you, dad for introducing me to this movie. :lol:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:21 am

Some not yet mentioned:

The Fly
Forbidden Zone
The Great Muppet Caper
The Last Unicorn
The Little Mermaid

Forbidden Zone is a cult flick that most were unlikely to have seen at the time of its release... but definitely check it out, if you're not afraid. :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Some not yet mentioned:

The Fly
Forbidden Zone
The Great Muppet Caper
The Last Unicorn
The Little Mermaid

You like The Little Mermaid too? I think it's one of the best 80s, Disney AND Animated movies of all time :w00t:

Has anybody mentioned Aliens? Because that would be the best/favorite 80s movie of mine of all time. Sigourney Weaver as Ripley if fucking awesome ("Get away from her YOU BITCH").

Return to “Film and Video”