Spring Breakers

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Spring Breakers

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Harmony Korine.

James Franco.

SELENA GOMEZ.

I wish Korine would stop pretending he can pull off another 'Gummo' and just retire. He has a hot wife and critics fap all over him, so why continue making this shit?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

uh...because it enables him to make money filming James Franco picking up jailbait?? besides, never write off a pretentious no-budget director: whatshisname who did Begotten languished in the realm of Marilyn Manson music videos for like a decade before he made Shadow of the Vampire.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:whatshisname who did Begotten languished in the realm of Marilyn Manson music videos for like a decade

Is it just me or is that incredibly fitting? Considering the visual style of Begotten.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm

meh. manson always worked in shlock-Americana and ironic shlock-Americana, sauteed together over the flame of Victorian fetishism (and later teenie Gothic shit in general) and when all else fails given a dash of fascist kitsch iconography to liven things up. the single-minded "look how fucking ugly and cheap i can make this shit, fucking look at it" aesthetic of Begotten doesn't really align itself with Manson's razzle-dazzle cult-of-outrage approach except on the level that they're both trying much harder to look scary than their ability to look scary could support (a point made nowhere better than Merhige's "Antichrist Superstar" video). A closer comparison to Merhige's aesthetic, if we're talking about mid-90s metal sensations, would probs be like Mayhem or something else comically lo-fi, visceral, and dumb. But Mayhem, being composed of a bunch of smelly, alcoholic Scandinavian teenagers, certainly did not have whatever contacts brought Manson and Merhige together, and probably would have gotten bored with Begotten after the first few minutes anyway.

e: more on topic, i'll probably watch this movie, if only to see how viciously Korine can mock me for having a prurient interest in his concept
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:41 am

I want to see Korine team up with Todd Solondz to create the most soul-crushing film ever. It would be incredible.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:I want to see Korine team up with Hideaki Anno to create the most mutually masturbatory film ever. It would be incredible.

Fixed for you.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”