Classically Shitty

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Classically Shitty

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Our very own BrikHaus' series that slaughters the sacred cows of cinema.
WARNING: Not for Cinephiles of the faint of heart.

2001: A Space Odyszzzzzzzz
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/2001-a-space-odyszzzzzzzz/

The Hustler
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/classically-shitty-the-hustler/

Breakfast at Tiffany's
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/classically-shitty-breakfast-at-tiffanys/

Citizen Kane - A Tale of Forbidden Love
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/classically-shitty-citizen-kane-a-tale-of-forbidden-love/

Blazing Saddles
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/classically-shitty-blazing-saddles/

Raging Bull
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/classically-shitty-raging-bull/

Brik Hates the Academy Awards: 80's Edition
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/brik-hates-the-academy-awards-80s-edition/

Serpico
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/classically-shitty-serpico/
Last edited by DevRei17 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Okay.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Damn, now I wish TDSA was still here, cuz he'd probably say something funny here. Well guess what I'll do the next best thing, I'll pretend to be TDSA!

2001 a space Odyssey was bad, the pacing was bad and the lighting could have been better. I think the monkey at the beginning of the movie could have used a lot more screentime, he was awesome.

Citizen Kane was Ok, but a lot of people try too hard to puit this movie on a pedastal. Transformers 2 was better!

And now I'm TK depressed...I will NEVER get over myself and therepy will NEVER be considered! Be thankful that your not an ugly old mule like me! I'm so ugly! But you, your not a mule your glorious!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 pm

logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm

When did Brikhaus ever have any taste?
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm

I agree with the views on 2001, 2010 was much better. But to me it seems that Brik blamed everything on the director because my recollection of the book was that many things were left as vague and not a whole lot of dialog accrued in the book, so by comparison you get slightly more out of the book. Wonder how he would rate Dune or Repo man
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:31 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:I agree with the views on 2001, 2010 was much better. But to me it seems that Brik blamed everything on the director because my recollection of the book was that many things were left as vague and not a whole lot of dialog accrued in the book, so by comparison you get slightly more out of the book.

Kubrick essentially manipulated Clarke into writing a literary narrative that didn't sync up with, and at several points contradicted, his film narrative, which may have in fact have been about an elaborate conspiracy that had nothing at all to do with extraterrestrial contact. Here's part one of a forty minute video that nobody here will watch that explains some juicy behind-the-scenes details and why 2001 may actually be a film-within-a-film. (The relevant information about Clarke and the book comes in at around the 6:30 mark.)

Point is that Kubrick had his hands stuffed in every pie, so if you don't like something in the film, you have nobody else to blame, because though film is a collaborative medium, Kubrick probably found a way to psychologically influence whoever was directly responsible to do things his way, all without them ever knowing it, because the man was essentially an evil wizard. Still, his only sin with 2001 was trying to get people to think outside their comfort zones, which some find instinctively abhorrent. Whatever, we all know 2001 is a polarizing film. Criticizing it for being long and boring displays about as much intellectual vigour as criticizing Eva for Shinji being whiner. Different strokes for different folks, gentlemen.

I like that Brik made a post mocking 2001; stuff like that's why we love him. I'm disappointed that he didn't bring his A-game, especially when dealing with such a revered film. His vitriol seems muted and there's an undercurrent of self-defensiveness. None of his jokes are particularly biting, there isn't any of his trademark colorful idiom and pointing out that HAL is the most lively character in the film unintentionally drives home the whole point about the evolution of intelligence, with humans becoming more machine-like and machines becoming more human.

Now, his Blazing Saddles review was spot on. The film plays out like a deliberate anti-comedy, where Brooks repeatedly sets up brilliant comic-set-pieces and then subverts them by either tossing out the punchline or having it just be some variation of "Get lost, nigger!" I really thought a film unafraid to deal with the issue of race would be wonderfully refreshing in our currently anal-retentive PC world, but any courage I could laud the filmmakers dissolved under the acidic force of the sheer lack of laughs.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:36 am

I approve of this thread.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

"Say hello to My..." Poorly delivered humor. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:51 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Now, his Blazing Saddles review was spot on. The film plays out like a deliberate anti-comedy, where Brooks repeatedly sets up brilliant comic-set-pieces and then subverts them by either tossing out the punchline or having it just be some variation of "Get lost, nigger!"

Oh thank God! I wasn't the only one.

The film left me tickled in some moments, but the by the end I was just empty, still waiting for the gut-bursting humor I had heard it so lauded for.

Many of the lines in the film, I find, are hilarious when used as voice overs for something else, but in context of the film they always just came off as flat or aimless.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: "Say hello to My..." Poorly delivered humor. B

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Many of the lines in the film, I find, are hilarious when used as voice overs for something else, but in context of the film they always just came off as flat or aimless.

So typical Mel Brooks, then.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

Oh, for god's sake.

Are we seriously having a book vs. film discussion? Please, and this one's for me, shove it up your collective assholes, be content film directors might want to communicate something differently in both form and method from a novelist, and get the fuck out.

Go read Eisenstein's Dialectical Approach to Film Form

This argument has jerked over and successfully been resolved since the 1910s
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Are we seriously having a book vs. film discussion?

No? I'm gonna go with "no". I mean, Mugwump talked about it a little bit, but more in a "this is why they were different" sense than in a "this one was better" sense. Everyone else is talking about overrated movies.

Please, and this one's for me, shove it up your collective assholes, be content film directors might want to communicate something differently in both form and method from a novelist, and get the fuck out.

Oh, calm down ya wanker. You're getting your shorts in a bunch over nothing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Oh, calm down ya wanker. You're getting your shorts in a bunch over nothing.

Well, this is the internet.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:07 pm

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:Well, this is EvaGeeks.

I corrected that for you.

But Internet also works.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:04 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Please, and this one's for me, shove it up your collective assholes, be content film directors might want to communicate something differently in both form and method from a novelist, and get the fuck out.

You're contributing more or less the gist of the single sentence I wrote in reply to Knightmare's single sentence, only with far more vitriol? I'm not really sure where this is coming from. At the risk of the paltry two sentence "discussion" we had on the film vs. book turning into a meta-argument about your dislike of an argument that was never really there, I'm almost tempted to ask how much of my post you read. I mean, come on now. Kubrick never adapted a novel so much as he used its narrative outline as a basis to tell a series of his own double-narratives, but it's especially interesting in the case of 2001, as he used a then unwritten hard sci-fi novel as a smoke-screen to distract from his own film, which was surreal and highly ambiguous.

Clarke's 2001 is not a novelization of the film, but an original literary work that used a variation of the surface narrative from the film, which is exactly the way Kubrick wanted it. If I must spell it out: there are no answers for the film in the book, which is what Knightmare himself said. He only said that Brik shouldn't blame Kubrick for being a pretentious egomaniac as his source-material was already vague, so I pointed out that the source material was in part Kubrick's, though it doesn't hold up in a comparative sense to the film under close examination.

The "quality" of a book vs. a film is a wretched and stupid debate, but it's always interesting to see how and why a filmmaker changes the narrative structure of a book to work in his medium of choice, which was the only reason I brought up information pertaining to the book at all. It's about ten times as interesting when it's a Kubrick film as he constantly encoded hidden messages or even dramatically altered the events of the narrative, but you wouldn't notice that from a superficial viewing. (I saw a very good case made that the Ludovico Technique wouldn't work at all, and Kubrick knew that, so in the film of A Clockwork Orange, Alex fakes his symptoms for sympathy. His version of the story is less about the nature of free will than it is political factions trying to BS their way into power through propaganda.)
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm one of those (apparently) strange and of-poor-taste people who adore Blazing Saddles. Then, I was exposed to it at a younger age, knowing nothing of its reputation except that my mom liked it (and she likes barely anything aside from crime procedure dramas and British mysteries). I seem to recall being fairly bewildered by it initially, but, as an adult (or the next best thing), I rather appreciate it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm not quite sure if this counts as 'Classically Shitty', but I feel it's of the same nature:
http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/brik-hates-the-academy-awards-80s-edition/

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:I'm not quite sure if this counts as 'Classically Shitty', but I feel it's of the same nature:

The Academy has never been all that well respected outside of LA anyways. It's almost normal to hate on the Oscars nowadays.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:The Academy has never been all that well respected outside of LA anyways. It's almost normal to hate on the Oscars nowadays.

Yet people still use the Oscars as a means of determining which movies they should and shouldn't watch. Nobody had even heard of "Amour" before a couple of months ago, and now a bunch of people I know have clamored to see it because it was nominated.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Yet people still use the Oscars as a means of determining which movies they should and shouldn't watch. Nobody had even heard of "Amour" before a couple of months ago, and now a bunch of people I know have clamored to see it because it was nominated.

Meh, I don't mind them so much as indicators of what's good to watch. By and large, the academy doesn't usually nominate shitty films so they work alright as guidelines. I just ignore the designations attached to said films ex. the nominations indicate Argo is a good picture but it's not the best picture of the year.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Film and Video”