Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:49 am

All the characters were assholes at the end except Da Mayor. That was the point. That nobody is immune to being racist, being victims of racism, or committing acts of violence.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:58 am

Back when I watched it the film riled me up so bad I wanted to go out in the streets to beat people up. Obviously Spike didn't want that, but it was the inevitable result for me and many other viewers. Heck, even some reviewers wanted to stop the film's release in case it starts riots. When you pit a bunch of assholes fighting each other in a film about racism, you're doing something wrong.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 am

View Original PostOz wrote:I prefer even white guilt films to Do the Right Thing since all it manages to do is make me hate other races more than ever. The climax of the film turns all the characters into stereotyped assholes.

Uh if a film portraying people of "other races" exhibiting their own forms of selfish, violent, prejudiced and hateful behavior - just like, you know, the rest of humanity - as opposed to embodying "progressive" stereotypes of saintly victimhood makes you "hate other races" more... I mean, you might want to think about that.

(And note that I am making a distinction between "portraying people of differing groups with negative characteristics" and "portraying people of differing groups with stereotypically negative characteristics".)
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Heck, even some reviewers wanted to stop the film's release in case it starts riots.

And it's kind of racist of them to assume that black people would become so engulfed by their inner Afrikan rage that they would then go out and murder the nearest white people just because they saw violence on screen.

Just out of curiosity why do you think that these same reviewers don't give Scorsese shit for the actual violence that really did happen which was inspired by Taxi Driver and The Last Temptation of Christ?

When you pit a bunch of assholes fighting each other in a film about racism, you're doing something wrong.

It's a film about exploring how racism leads to violent situations with people that otherwise are able to tolerate each others' existence.

Not all examples of racism involve the KKK or white people from the 1950's denying black people jobs and whatnot.

DTRT's goal here is to acknowledge these other forms of racism and racial violence exist in the contemporary United States.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:24 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Uh if a film portraying people of "other races" exhibiting their own forms of selfish, violent, prejudiced and hateful behavior - just like, you know, the rest of humanity - as opposed to embodying "progressive" stereotypes of saintly victimhood makes you "hate other races" more... I mean, you might want to think about that.

You make it sound like DTRT did something good with that exploration. It sounds good as an idea, but the way Spike handled it ignored that aspect and provoked me in the exact wrong way. That is the problem.

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:And it's kind of racist of them to assume that black people would become so engulfed by their inner Afrikan rage that they would then go out and murder the nearest white people just because they saw violence on screen.

I was not aware they only hinted at that - I was under the impression they were worried about riots in overall. From what I have understood, the film did rile up people back when it was released, but no riots took place.

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Just out of curiosity why do you think that these same reviewers don't give Scorsese shit for the actual violence that really did happen which was inspired by Taxi Driver and The Last Temptation of Christ?

Uhh, because those two films didn't touch upon a subject as touchy and explosive as racism? You're veering off into a general racism tangent if you are trying to prove the complaints themselves were racist.

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:DTRT's goal here is to acknowledge these other forms of racism and racial violence exist in the contemporary United States.

And I never even denied that part. What I'm saying is that in my opinion the end result doesn't work in its favor, instead I found it unnecessarily provocative and frustrating.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:58 am

Last Life in the Universe

Quite a melancholic little movie, but I enjoyed it immensely. 9/10.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 am

The Wolverine - Filled with awesome action sequences such as the bullet train roof scene and the development of the romance between Logan and Mariko as well as the kawaiiness that is the bodyguard Yukio, this movie is an excellent way to spend two hours of your life. Kudos to that scene where Logan fights Shingen and accepts he's the Wolverine.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 am

The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. I saw the trailer for the second film a few days ago, so I decided to check out the 1st film in hopes of watching the desolation of smaug in a month. I must say, the movie was bloody amazing. Even though it lacks action and has a slow start, I feel the overall experience is rich enough. Middle Earth really radiates danger, like everywhere you go is not safe! Overall I liked it, good film, can't wait for movie 2 to see if it stacks up to the original trilogy

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

^ i'm surprised you liked it at all... most people i've heard talking about the first Hobbit film kept saying how inferior it was to the LotR trilogy (:lol:) and that it took too many artistic liberties with the story and such. i never once heard them discuss the entertainment aspect of the movie, which was indeed, tremendous. Regardless, i, for one, am excited for The Desolation of Smaug to hit theaters in December.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I sat down & re-watched Akira again for the 458856735 time.
Still a good film that stands up well to the movies of today (animated or not)

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:11 am

Battleship
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Full of pee-stamp to this one.

Though, Liam Neeson was good.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Watch every horrible film.

I know I promised this a while ago, but you know......Too hard...... ;A;

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Battleship

Dat Mighty Mo dorifto

Oblivion

You know the worst thing about this movie was the trailer; because it spoiled everything. I probably would have still guessed the twists considering how much it borrowed from other SciFi but it took a huge chunk of investment away. That said, an alright movie. Nice visuals and a bit too much wub wub for my taste though.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Yeah, I liked Oblivion for the eye candy. I don't remember the score very well, though.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:24 pm

During the Reagan years, America gave us classic war films such as First Blood, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Platoon, Top Gun, Red Dawn, Megaforce and Rambo III, all realistic, thought-provoking pieces of of cinema.

And then there's Iron Eagle.

In fact, I first became aware of this film's existence when it was mentioned on Imgur as an early example of dueling scripts. Apparently, Top Gun was the pansy-ass arthouse film with romance and stuff, whereas Iron Eagle was the radical kid on the block.

The set-up: Doug Masters (Jason Gedrick) is a leather-jacket-wearing Hotshot Teenage Protagonist with aspirations of becoming fighter pilot like his dad because apparently recklessly rebellious teenagers crave nothing more than military discipline. Unfortunately said dad is shot down by the evil Bilyans (see what they did there?) during a patrol over disputed stretch of coastal waters, and the movie goes through great pains to convince us that the flight definitely wasn't part of any CIA shenanigans, no siree.

You might think the next plot development is pretty obvious. Doug begins harboring daddy-issue-fueled revenge fantasies, gets his act together and statrs working hard in order to be accepted into the Air Force Academy, and we get a brief time skip, after which we meet him as a fresh-off-the-oven fighter pilot, finally ready to blow up some generic arabs. A sane film like Hot Shots would certainly take this course, but Iron Eagle is not a sane film.

Instead, it turns out his dad is alive and imprisoned by the Bilyans, and as the US government is not willing to mount a risky and certainly destructive rescue mission, Doug gathers his flight club buddies in order to hack a local military base, steal some fighter jets and start a war in the Middle East, because no-one fucks with the Masters family. All of the teenagers immediately think this is the greatest idea ever, and the film essentially turns into reverse Wargames, with a bunch of kids trolling the hilariously incompetent US Air Force in order to ensure brown people will get bombed.

During their treasonous spy games the kids also enlist the help of a Magical Negro, played by Louis Gossett, Jr., who gives them a master class in amazing overacting. Together, they finalize a war plan that would make the Entebbe raid and Operation El Dorado Canyon look like pathetic airsoft games. The Masters-Negro plan involves attacking Bilya with two F-16s directly from the USA with, like, two aerial refuelings en route, and dropping something called the Hades Bomb. Considering how amazing the F-16s obviously are, it makes me wonder why the name of the movie has an eagle in it instead of falcon, but I digress. In short, the plan works, cluster bombs and napalm rain down on Bilya, oil refineries (which, depending on the shot, might also be wastewater treatment plants) go up in flames, Doug's dad is saved, and I'd like to think the world is thrust into a spiral of war and that Red Dawn is actually a sequel to this film. Go America!

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:27 am

^ That sounds like a brilliant film. :lol:

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:38 am

All is Lost is both a better and far less likable film than Gravity.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:40 am

Watched Man of Steel tonight.

The special effects and action sequences were fantastic. I mean, perfect. My only quibble is that at certain points they tried to mix a sort of realism with big flashy explosions and building chunks flying everywhere, like the film is afraid to go one way or the other with his powers. I didn't think about that at the time, though, so I consider that part a success. Clark's interactions with his mom were all great, too.

Yet everything they got right they got two things wrong. It just sort of... assumed Superman's ethos without examining it and confused a somber tone for genuine introspection. I think they could have made a stronger, bolder film cutting out the main villain entirely and saving him for a sequel.

There were also two major scenes/plot points that made absolutely no sense, and not on a nitpicking level, a pretty serious one. One of them could have been fixed with a couple of lines of dialogue, the other was just unnecessary.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dr. Talos
Adam

Postby Dr. Talos » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:04 am

Watched La Haine again. It was as brilliant as I remembered it. Stark and violent, an ode to hopeless despair and anguish solidified by excellent acting and brilliant camera work. It left me cold and needing a stiff drink. "It's about a society in freefall...' says it all really.

Also saw Oldboy. It's stylish, vibrant, violent and a lot of fun. The acting was good and some of the camera work and choreography was splendid, particularity in the famous hallway fight. Can't say I thought all that much of the plot, it was interesting enough but nothing to write home about.
Last edited by Dr. Talos on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:10 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Watched Man of Steel tonight.

I watched it the other day too and it had some ridiculous forced situations
SPOILER: Show
like Costner killing himself to save the dog or Superman snapping Zod's neck instead of just tossing his ass away. Not to mention the moment you realise that Zod wanted to terraform the earth with dubstep because he wouldn't let his people subject to a few headaches from the atmoshpere.

Guess it's hard to make a good Sups movie in this day and age. Still, probably the best Dragon Ball film we'll ever get.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Film and Video”