Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm

The Living Daylights: Despite being action filled, it was the first James Bond film i had trouble following at times, mostly the villain's plot.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Megamind-blown. BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:27 am

Megamind. A quirky film with lot of cliched jokes but they did have the benefit of coming at unusual angles.

The voice actors were ~okay~. I never got over Jonah Hill being Jonah Hill, but I only found myself thinking "this is Will Farell bringing the hamm" in a handful of moments. Tiney Fey blended well, no issue with her.

That out of the way, I loved the premise, and was kind of blown away by the ending. Both by the false one which defied my expectations as it was, and the real one which included about 3 or 4 Chekov's guns (with one being an actual gun). This film makes real good use of prior established elements, something I'm a real sucker for and always take as a mark of a good film.

SPOILER: Show
They even showed what happened to the real Brendan after the end credits, whose fate I hadn't remembered and had kept expecting to pop-up to be the spoiler to Megamind's budding relationship-based-on-a-lie. But no, he was stuck as a dehydrated cube the whole time. BP
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 am

Total Recall (the reboot) -- some motifs of the original were still there, even the set of three tits on the streetwalker. But overall it was an okay action film, but more complicated with me wondering where or whom Quaid/Hauser is allied with.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:51 am

The Seventh Seal. ... Stop reading. Go see this. Why haven't you seen this? I don't care how you're going to see this, but... Watch it. Mandatory. End of story.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 am

247 Degrees Fahrenheit: If you're looking for a blood and guts horror movie, you won't find it here.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:The Seventh Seal. ... Stop reading. Go see this. Why haven't you seen this? I don't care how you're going to see this, but... Watch it. Mandatory. End of story.

Seen it. Loved it. Own it. My favorite Bergman.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I watched Life of Pi last night. On a scale of frog to walrus, i give it Marilyn Monroe.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 am

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:The Seventh Seal. ... Stop reading. Go see this. Why haven't you seen this? I don't care how you're going to see this, but... Watch it. Mandatory. End of story.

Good but overrated, arguing it isn't the best Bergman film always gave birth to some funny Jimbo hissyfits

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Scream 4: A solid sequel even if the dialogue at times reaches the Dawson's Creek level of believable.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Finished watching Don Camillo e l'Onorevole Peppone with my dad last night. He tells me this movie is a classic of Italian film, and I can see why. It was pretty darn funny, and it managed to portray very human characters as well.

Going to see Skyfall with my dad tonight! SO PUMPED!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:42 am

In The Heat Of The Night: This movie is great. Basically about a black detective getting "pulled" into a murder investigation in a small racist town in Mississippi during the late 60s. The scene where the chief looks at Tibbs' badge after finding out he's a cop is awesome, so is the "They call me MISTER Tibbs!" part.

Sidney Poitier is brilliant.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:04 am

I watched Benny and Joon (1993) last week. I think I saw parts of it when I was little. I liked it a lot, but I don't understand why the semi-realistic/semi-sad movies tend to be labelled as a "comedy" on the back of the case description... :shakehead:

Gotta love Johnny Depp sitting in his trees.

Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Undela Undela Undela la la la

Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Undela Undela Undela la la la
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:48 am

Dazed and Confused - Very enjoyable teen comedy. (Still think Almost Famous is better though.)

Also saw Au Hazard Balthazar which took me completely by surprise. Now I see why Xard has it on his top 10.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 am

Ruruoni Kenshin -- the live-action version. Worth my money, everyone actually cheered and laughed at the best parts, and well, damn, put that... uh, teen movie to shame.

In other words... DAMN FUCKIN' EPIC.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:27 am

Barefoot in the Park: Not a bad little film, but whoa was Jane Fonda sexy when she was younger - The shot of her standing in the hallway with nothing but a dress shirt on (Here)...

:fap:

Five Easy Pieces: Jack Nicholson is fucking amazing, that scene in the diner is hilarious, and again; not a bad little film. Had some interesting themes, but they weren't really handled too well. The music was great though, and I enjoyed the experience overall.

Vanilla Sky: Second time I've seen it. I really like this film, considering it's a pretty cliché "reality warp" story. But I put it down to the acting, crazy Tom Cruise is crazy, and the brilliant, brilliant soundtrack. I remember I saw the original Spanish version years ago but can't for the life of me recall what I thought of it at the time.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:06 pm

I can approach this one of two ways and I will do both.

The most recent movie I watched all the way through was The Dark Knight.

The most recent movie I watched for the first time ever was Looper. I regret that decision.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Holiday films time!

The Muppet Christmas Carol I have to admit, I had not seen that film since the days of VHS. Never did I revisit the film for a very long time. And revisiting the film recently is one grand experience. So many moments in there that I have not seen since. Thankfully, the film is still tolerable and has great moments that will make you feel happy throughout.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Just yesterday, I have managed to see this film in its entirety (NOT on ABC family, as it actually did last night! Saw it uncut. Believe me, some jokes work better when watching it as it is.) It's one of those films that has characters you can relate to (remember being one of those people that wanted a perfect family Christmas yet ended up not being perfect, but makes things overall satisfying and memorable?), it has great jokes, good set-up, and great writing from the late John Hughes (that's right: The John Hughes... before the mid-90's changed his screenplays into crap) It's a recommended Christmas film that one should see (but best to watch the film as it is for the first viewing.)

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:25 pm

^Funny you should say that; according to a pen pal of his, the reason John's movies took that mid-90s turn was mainly because of his kids; lose sight on what "happiness" was. It didn't help that he had a new opinion at Hollywood (he blamed "them" for killing a friend of his) as time went on.

Here, see for yourself.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:07 am

I do have to wonder why he felt that Hollywood killed this friend of his, i haven't read much of John Candy, but from the sounds of it he was never really forced into anything, and he died of a heart attack instead of exhaustion. Although i suppose that doesn't change the fact he started to feel differently about Hollywood and his concern for how it might affect his children. The blog post was rather sweet, by the way.

On topic: I watched Jacob's ladder.

Well, that was a weird (and occasionally unnerving) film. I knew there were going to be many aspects reminiscent of the Silent Hill franchise (this movie is confirmed to be a vast inspiration for the games) But i have to admit that the level and quantity of it was still rather surprising. The film being generally well-directed (specially in the hospital hallway scene, and the scene where Jacob's girlfriend is dancing with that... Thing) And the intrigue/directness of the plot with it's various levels of reality made it a very enjoyable and mindfucking watch.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:26 am

I love Jacob's Ladder. I just wish it weren't so "simple" by the end of it, if you know what I mean.

Return to “Film and Video”