What was the saddest moment in a movie for you?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Some of them have been mentioned in this thread already: Once Upon a Time in the West, Haruhi, Kurosawa films and Grave of the Fireflies. You might as well add all films by Hirokazu Koreeda and Yi yi.

From films I've seen recently, the most unforgettable is Lee Sang-il's Villain. Late in the film, the victim's father delivers a speech over a montage that pretty much summarizes the problems of the young generation. It's delivered with such raw power and honesty that I kept rewatching that one scene dozens of times. It's a shame I deleted the film already since I want to see it again. There was also one sequence in Toshiaki Toyoda's 9 Souls that was very haunting for me. After being rejected by the society many times, one of the escapees resorts to his last resort - only to be rejected yet again. The following sequence shows him kicking his bag around, paralleled with kids kicking a football around - and this song is played in the background. It's one of those grand cinematic moments that will stick with me for the rest of my life.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Very depressing 1:12, any idea what the song lyrics are?

http://www.harptabs.com/song.php?ID=11685
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 pm

@DevRei17
Wow thanks , young maidens should indeed fall in love.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 am

There are only two movies that have made me cry in my life.

One of them is The Shawshank Redemption. Brooks's letter got me on two separate occasions.

The other is, um, the first Mister Bean movie. I was very young at the time, but the final scene seemed really touching to me for some reason.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Cruel Thesis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cruel Thesis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 am

The scene in Cool Hand Luke where Luke gets a letter informing him of his mothers death.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 am

Lilya 4-ever. That movie... rips the heart out of your chest and feeds it back to you. Lots of RAGE also involved.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Grave of the Fireflies made me cry for about twenty minutes after watching it. The climax of Saving Private Ryan and Roy's death in Blade Runner both made me tear up a bit. [/quote]
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

John
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby John » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:The swing scene from Ikiru:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AoKhCMSKNU

Ok, I can't stop watching this scene. I've gotta find this movie.

Reading everyone's depressive posts reminds me when I was watching a free online FPS game, but then a modder started playing and killing all of them, then someone in despair shouted "That's it! Everyone, let's commit a mass suicide!"
I hope that doesn't happen here...

Also adding Captain America ending. I loved how they changed it from the comic. Why can't they make more wonderful moments in comic adaptations?
We'll destroy everything , and we'll keep destroying it until it looks like all the bad things -all the sad things- never even happened at all.

McDirty
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby McDirty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Yea I know this scene is mentioned a lot, but Watership Down always puts a tear to my eye whenever I watch this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkirtbpz5h4

Besides, I think Bright Eyes is amongst the most emotional songs every composed.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm

I found the battle against unit 3 in 2.22 to be sad (makes me a little sadder now after watching the series) Also Mufasa’s death in the lion king was pretty sad for me as well.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:56 pm

None, primarily due to the fact that the characters are fictional.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:43 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:None, primarily due to the fact that the characters are fictional.

Except, of course, when they're not, such as in the case of stories based on real life.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:Except, of course, when they're not, such as in the case of stories based on real life.

Then they're fictionalized.

Of course, good fiction makes us reflect on things that are real, so it's kind of a moot point to begin with.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Then they're fictionalized.

I just don't think going "Hah hah, this is SO not real!" works when watching something like Schindler's List.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 am

It works on all types of movies including that one because that is how I look at things.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:52 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I just don't think going "Hah hah, this is SO not real!" works when watching something like Schindler's List.
As a medium, film is inherently manipulative. Something like Schindler's List is especially manipulative because it's based on fact. Instead of making a documentary on Oscar Schindler, the film instead casts actors, dramatizes events, forces perspective, and plays with editing in order for you to empathize with what's going on on screen.

Not that documentaries aren't manipulative either, but that's a different issue.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 am

I don't see how film is particularly more manipulative or deceitful than any form of fiction. It doesn't matter whether you're being taken in by camera angles or rhetorical strategies.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:53 am

^I didn't say it was. I defended the point that it's not unlikely for someone to be emotionally unaffected by a movie, be it Schindler's List or something else, based solely on the fact that these movies are representations removed from reality. There isn't much of a difference between empathizing with Oscar Schindler as a fictionalized character and empathizing with Colonel Quaritch on the same grounds.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:51 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:It works on all types of movies including that one because that is how I look at things.

Then why do you watch movies?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Then why do you watch movies?

Because Twin Drive's a moron. Haven't you been paying attention? :P
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Return to “Film and Video”