Iron Man 3

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:So this is RDJ's last contracted movie as IM, I wonder if he will return.

For the right price, I'm sure he will.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:For the right price, I'm sure he will.

Hopefully the right price isn't too much since he already made a shitload of money for all the films he was in. Asking for double the amount he earned will probably result in Disney searching for a new actor.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 pm

I saw this today. Best Marvel movie yet, better than the first one, way better than 2. I was pleased that it had an actual story to tell, rather than being a commercial for the next Avengers. I like how it was prepared to break from the style of the first two. I'm glad they replaced Favreau- this was a better directed film. It also nicely complimented Iron Man 1, and is more of a sequel thematically than 2 was, as that entry was all over the map and both rehashed and missed the point of the first one.

I almost hope that they let Iron Man rest for a while and recast the part after some Avengers appearances. The "Tony Stark Will Return" bit at the end of the credits reminded me of James Bond.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm

It will probably be in Avengers 2; making an Iron Man 4 seems a little garish at this point.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri May 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Imma be seeing Iron Man 3 tonight with a few bros (read: coworkers) of mine. It'll be fucking epic.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sat May 11, 2013 2:33 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It will probably be in Avengers 2; making an Iron Man 4 seems a little garish at this point.

Not necessarily. I mean, the Cineverse is spreading out into cosmic superheroes, and Iron Man is a current member of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics...

And its kinda sounding like Avengers 2 is not going to be the Thanos sequel. They might use a B-roster (Iron Patriot) for it and save RDJ for Avengers 3.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Sat May 11, 2013 3:51 pm

I wouldn't mind not seeing Iron Man in the Avengers 2, as they could introduce more 1 or 2 more new characters, but his actual replacement would most likely be Ant-Man.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun May 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Saw IM3 a couple days ago.

Man, what a great start to the summer movie season. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. Loved the fact that they really focused on Tony as a character. Loved that each of the good guys got their own moments of awesomeness. Loved the big plot twist (you know the one). Great action scenes, sufficiently spread out.

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:I wouldn't mind not seeing Iron Man in the Avengers 2, as they could introduce more 1 or 2 more new characters, but his actual replacement would most likely be Ant-Man.

The problem with this is that RDJ is probably one of the biggest draws to these movies. He's got a charismatic character that really isn't matched by anyone else on the Avengers' roster IMO. It'd be a really bad move financially to not bring him back for at LEAST Avengers 2 (which I kinda think will be the last movie that RDJ will play Iron Man in....I mean, the dude's a bona-fide movie star right now, but remember he's also a dude who likes to challenge himself with interesting roles.....just look at the his resume. You can only play a character so many times before it becomes stale. He's already enormously rich from these movies, so he doesn't really have anything to lose by not playing Iron Man anymore.)

Then again, IM3 also felt as though it completed Tony's arc that began in the first film.....so I wouldn't complain if he didn't come back for another solo Iron Man film......but something in me just wants him to at least be in Avengers 2 and have a glorious death scene and then be done with the character. Because I honestly don't think anyone could come anywhere near as close as him playing Tony Stark.....even moreso that Sean Connery playing James Bond, RDJ is just THAT identifiable as that character.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun May 12, 2013 10:31 pm

I saw IM3 last week. I haven't seen IM2 for comparison, but I will say on the whole I liked it a lot more than the first movie in the trilogy.

Some thoughts that occurred to me while watching this:
SPOILER: Show
Oh hey! Pepper's not just a woman that cries "help!" so Tony can come rescue her in this movie! There was a bit of a nice role reversal in that she was the one saving Tony's ass for once. That's cool.

Although, she does have kind of a dick move where she insists on sleeping by herself after Tony accidentally calls one of his suits on her. I mean, I know she's not happy with his obsession with the Iron Man suit, but he did just confess that he's suffering from some form of PSTD after the events of The Avengers, and he was obviously having a nightmare when she was trying to wake him up. I'd be a little spooked too, but my first response wouldn't be "I'm going to go sleep on the couch now."

Aldrich's aims as a villain kind of confuse me, as he seems to swing back and forth between trying to kill Tony and recruit him to work for AIM. I don't understand spending most of the movie trying to kill him, then at the end revealing it was all part of his plan to get him to solve the problem of Extremis.

Maya's role in the movie was really kind of unnecessary. Her sole purpose seems to have been to give us this one "oh shit" moment that we'd already kind of put together from the other parts of the movie.

Speaking of Aldritch and Maya, I really didn't like the idea of playing them up as Tony's "demons". It sort of implies that everyone Tony was a dick to have the potential of being supervillains, and that their motivation doesn't really stem out of the fact that they were sort of broken people to begin with, but that it's Tony's fault that they're the bad guys. I just think it sort of cheapens their role as bad guys just to say that Tony created them as well.

Kid sidekick. Kid. Sidekick.

The movie went a long way towards fleshing out Tony's character. Up until now, he's felt like a Marvel knockoff of Batman, using his parent's fortune and an inherent skill set to fight [s]gangsters[/s] terrorists. Really, to compare: Tony at least turns his technologies towards bettering the world - need underwater work done? There's a suit to do that. Need heavy lifting done? There's a suit for that. He sees the effect of how his company changes the world and attempts to steer it towards doing good. Bruce, on the other hand, sits in his mansion and hides from his problems. There's no real interest in doing charity work, he just has someone write a check and it's someone else's problem. He just sits around in his mansion's basement, going out at night to beat up people.

The PTSD angle in this movie was especially interesting, as it forced Tony (in the early parts of the movie) to realize that he did have a problem, and that he should be working to better himself as well. I think by the end it just kind of turned into a 'I'm just going to breathe heavily for a few seconds then continue on like nothing's wrong'. Ultimately it seemed like a somewhat blown angle to better understand Tony's psyche.

The Mandarin - holy shit, Ben Kingsley knocked it out of the park with this one.

One interesting difference between the Batman and IM movies, now that I bring it up The Mandarin, is that in Batman, the problems are always external - some outside force, envious of the status quo, is always lurking on the outside, waiting to get in and corrupt the system. Therefore, draconian measures and vigilantism by someone who knows best is necessary to maintain order. IM3 kind of spins it a bit in the other direction - terrorism isn't necessarily the product of someone just wanting to overthrow the status quo, but that it is sometimes fueled and funded by the policies of the status quo. IM3 just feels like a more nuanced take on the issue.

Just kind of disjointed rambling about what was going through my head during the movie - professional film critic I am not.[/spoiler]
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 13, 2013 2:44 am

Might as well throw in my two cents:

Saw it today. It reminded me of why I no longer bother with Hollywood action movies these days.

It was nice that Pepper got a moment at the end, but for the rest of the movie she was largely useless. The whole Damsel in Distress thing is just so damn tiresome, and Hollywood knows it's tiresome and that people are getting sick of it, but they just keep on doing it. They act like putting female extras in physical roles is enough, and that does help a bit, but when your main female character is still an object to be rescued it doesn't really matter in the long run.

What would I have liked to see? Operation: House Party presumably brought the suit Tony designed for Pepper in a previous movie (I think; I didn't pay too much attention to them, so I might be splicing in stuff from the comics), so let her use it. Having her come up in a suit and legitimately save Tony's ass rather than doing it practically by accident would have been cool, and we had the perfect setup for it here. It's sad that they bungled that opportunity.

I didn't care for Killian as a villain. He had no credible motivation for doing what he was doing, and his abilities didn't fit the premise (Tony's been doing this for years, and he has experience fighting with the Avengers. How does some schmuck with no combat experience to speak of manage to go toe to toe with him? I don't care if he has superpowers due to the Extremis virus, that doesn't give him skills!). Maya was similarly disappointing (and how did getting shot kill her? Didn't she have the virus as well?).

I liked the kid, but Tony was way too cavalier with him. Even resilient kids can't take that much shit in stride. This also highlights my general issue with the tone of the movie: it was too damn smug, too impressed with itself, too determined to show how laid back it was. This is a problem with Hollywood action movies in general these days, but the IM movies really personify it (chalk it up to Whedonization, I guess).

Overall I thought it was better than the first two films, mainly because it had a more focused and coherent storyline. The Mandarin was brilliant and RDJ's performance was pretty good for the most part. But the DiD trope and the tone are black eyes for the piece, and even Ben Kingsley's superb performance as the Mandarin isn't enough to offset the fact that the villains are lame. If I were to sum it up in a sentence I'd say it was a pretty good action flick that was disappointing in that it could have been superior -- so many blown opportunities, it's just sad man. :(

I will say this, though: the post-credits scene was pure gold.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 am

Holy shit: http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/2874581-robert-downey-jr-wants-mega-millions-for-two-sequels-to-the-avengers/
He wants more than seven percent box office gross and a hunnert. I guess this isn't too terrible, give Avengers 1.5 billion return (on a 220 million investment). But only for two more Avengers movies. I guess that means no more Iron Man?
He's "leading his cast mates in a battle for better deals." Good on him.

Space Sweeper
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Space Sweeper » Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Just saw it two days ago. I absolutely adored it.

I should have expected it, really, even after the fan reactions-- I almost didn't see it in theaters because of that. It would have been a mistake I'd end up regretting. I had tremendous amounts of fun watching it, the dialogue was sharp, snappy, fast paced, infinitely quotable, and hilarious, with the actors at the top of their game-- as always, Robert Downey Jr. is an absolute blast to watch. This is his best work to date... I could watch him forever. The script was also the road less traveled, surprising, and engaging, as I should expect from Shane Black. You can just tell that everybody is having a blast when watching the movie-- the audience loved it as well.

One of my favorite things was the relationship between Stark and Harley-- the chemistry between them; they were connected! :lol: Stark treats him like anyone else, and as a result, it's some of the funniest, most memorable s tuff in the movie. The action was also a lot of fun in how it played out, complemented by some great effects and well choreographed scenarios. The humor never dies during these, even when things look dire. It's a focused and incessantly enjoyable film through and through.

On the twist...
The Mandarin fake-out was an absolutely brilliant, bold, and ballsy move by Shane Black and I applaud Marvel for allowing it. I was highly anticipating this big bad performance from Ben Kingsley, but what we get is a hilarious and scrawny one? Wonderful. The fake-out also worked on a meta-media level; he was this anticipated (in one form or another) face of menace and dread to both people looking to see the movie, advertised as such in posters, trailers, and TV spots, and in the movie he was the face of dread, evil, and terror for the entire nation. It wasn't disappointment I felt when I found out it was an act, but I burst out into a fit of laughter; one of the greatest spun jokes in recent memory.

The problem is that people took it far too seriously and allowed it to ruin the movie for them. Where we found Kingsley's character to be a ruse, Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian who provided a strong, competent, and cunning villain. He had elements of all of those prior and then some. I realize people wanted to see the Mandarin as presented in previous media, but his presence was felt through Killian. It was an unexpected route, and worked marvelously. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie nearly as much if they played the villain scenario straight.

I know I may be overselling it, but I really did genuinely enjoy it. Biggest issue it had was with the first 15 or so minutes with the awkward editing and pacing; just felt like something of an off-start to the movie (though the first moments were great).
The Evangelion Complex - An examination and comparison of the themes and visual language of Evangelion

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 13, 2013 8:55 pm

If RDJ wants to lead a battle to "give his cast mates better deals" he should extend that to the crew as well. Fuck him. These superstars are paid way too much anyway. Any role is replacable nowadays. ESPECIALLY in the comic book genre. His head has grown a bit too large if he thinks comic book fans will cause an uproar if he OR ANY of the Avengers crew is recast. If Marvel doesn't hire a new actor to "play" Tony Stark/Iron Man this year then they'll do it a few years down the line. It's not like comic book fans are averse to that. They just want to see "More Adventures with Their Favorite Character" & General Audiences will take anything.
Marvel wants a Long Con with their Cinematic Universe. Something that will go on for Decades. EVERY role is planned to be recast at some point just like how every rendition of the characters on the page has been reformatted to fit the times.

Marvel, you've already proven to the world actors whining for more power only ends in failure - Edward Norton anybody coughcough - so put RDJ in his place. The Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't center around Iron Man anymore. Now it centers around THE AVENGERS the Team. Pull a James Bond, Marvel. Recast Robert Downey Jr with a George Lazenby & accept you're probably gonna take a beating for that one film. But then people will be so hungry to see "Tony Stark" again that you're in the clear & have the absolute freedom to cast WHOEVER you want! You could even Roger Moore it & people would go!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Marvel, you've already proven to the world actors whining for more power only ends in failure - Edward Norton anybody coughcough - so put RDJ in his place. The Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't center around Iron Man anymore. Now it centers around THE AVENGERS the Team. Pull a James Bond, Marvel. Recast Robert Downey Jr with a George Lazenby & accept you're probably gonna take a beating for that one film. But then people will be so hungry to see "Tony Stark" again that you're in the clear & have the absolute freedom to cast WHOEVER you want! You could even Roger Moore it & people would go!

Well, you certainly seem eager to throw out the face of the entire Marvel cinematic enterprise. It's one thing to toss out the person headlining a box office bomb that happened while Marvel was still in the middle of planning out the movie Marvelverse, it's a different thing entirely to dump the star of the headlining franchise.

Also I don't seem to get why you picked George Lazenby as a terrible James Bond, he was great in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and the only reason he didn't come back in the next movie was that he was already booked by the time the Bond people let him know they wanted him to star in Diamonds Are Forever. I think in this case if Marvel pulled a James Bond they'd probably end up with Pierce Brosnan and the franchise would slide into mediocrity. Face it, at this point Iron Man *is* RDJ, and I doubt his replacement would bring the same gravitas to the role.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 pm

My issue is with Movie Star salaries. I was busy on another project but had a few friends work on 'The Avengers' & from their mouths regarding the actors - "those motherfuckers spend 90% of their time in their trailers playing XBox while the crew makes sure everything is perfect so the actors just have to recite their lines". The movie was designed from the ground up so even the actors can't fuck it up. All the actors were there for a lot less of the final action sequence Guys like Chris Hemsworth & Chris Evans were upset that they weren't getting the same deal on 'The Avengers' as Robert Downey Jr was. Well the truth is nobody goes to see 'Thor' or 'Captain America' for Chris Hemsworth & Chris Evans, they go to the theaters to see Thor & Captain America.

Right now, yes, Robert Downey Jr is the face of Tony Stark & he is the face of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That's going to change very VERY soon. Kevin Feige & Marvel are in this for the long run because it's a business & they're not going to place the strenght of their universe in one actors hands. RDJ helped them through Phase One but things change. At the moment there are no plans to do another solo Iron Man movie & Tony Stark is not going to appear on screen again until 'The Avengers 2' in 2015. By then there will be two Thors, two Captain Americas, a Talking Racoon & Tree, trailers for Ant Man, a probably long-running TV show on ABC about SHIELD, concrete plans for a Dr. Strange movie, a possible Black Panther movie & more. By the time 'The Avengers 2' comes out the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to be about THE UNIVERSE. No one character is going to monopolize it all.

The economy worldwide is still fucked, especially in the film industry. Effects studios that do all the work to sell a movie crash - Rhytm & Hues went under even after making 'Life of Pi' NOT be just some Indian dude alone in a swimming pool - expensive location continues to shrivel, more & more practical effects work continues to die away as studios can pitch FX studio against FX studio to lower their prices, & more & more ways of cutting costs on production are being found. Except actor salaries which continue to rise. Exponentially. RDJ got over $50 million for what amounted to two months of work. If he wants to get north of $100 million + profit grosses for 3 months of work spread over 10 years than Marvel should fuck him over. Cause if too much money goes to RDJ's pocket & they need to cut corners in the production of the film itself you're NOT going to hear about the many behind the crew professionals who ultimately get screwed over so the studio can save a few bucks.

If Phase One was about setting up The Avengers, it makes sense they needed a face, a RDJ to do it.
Phase Two is about setting up the Marvel Universe as a whole, culminating in The Avengers II & they now have a whole team of heroes to help lead the way.
Phase Three is going to be even grander.

It's moving beyond one man & if that one man wants to hinder the universe so he can make more money than he already deserves, screw him. This is an industry that supports thousands of workers. They shouldn't start seeing their earnings from their work dwindle because one guy wants a little more for him & his buds.

* As for the Lazenby comment - yeah he was good in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" but when the film came out most people hated him because "He wasn't Sean Connery". Connery got his last shot at the character (the less we talk about that 'Never Say Never Again' the better) & then the franchise was able to move on BECAUSE recasting Bond was expected. The world loves Daniel Craig as Bond now but is aware the series will continue once he leaves BECAUSE the movies are about James Bond, not one man & his wallet. Eventually, the same thing has to happen to Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor, Black Widow & Nick Fury for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to continue as long as Marvel wants it. It's inevitable. People already accept Batman being recast every few years. Marvel heroes aren't immune from that. We've seen how many people play Bruce Banner in the past decade again?

This is a passionate issue for me because I've been on a few projects that have suffered greatly because of the selfish demands actors & above the title people have placed on the project. I've seen corners cut & I've seen people lose their jobs because "Actor X needs these new ammendments to his contract fulfilled" or "Actor Y needs his meals flown in from Paris every day".

I have to imagine Marvel has one or two medium level superhero projects in mind, really risky endeavors that might not turn Iron Man profits but would be really great vehicles that could be spear-headed by unique directors with some of their profits set aside... and if Marvel gives in to RDJ selfish needs I see those projects dying a painful death.

Nerd moment: To quote Spock - "The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few... or the one."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. RDJ makes a damn good Iron Man.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Russell Brand would be an excellent replacement for RDJ.....

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

I'd rather they bring RDJ back for Avengers/cameo work and develop other heroes into their own movies. It's actually a good thing that they were dumb enough to sell the film rights to FF, Spider-Man and X-Men off to other studios when Marvel was in financial trouble. It'll keep them from rolling the same cash cows over and over again.

I heard there's a new Blade in development. I'm excited about that. What Marvel movies need is Literally Dracula.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:02 pm

[Merged in. - Monk]

View Original PostRay wrote:But I have to disagree, Iron Man 3 was a slap in the face to everyone. Casual and diehard fans alike.

Oh, come on. IM3 is a solid story, WTF are you on about?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 pm

He's probably one of those fanboys who say they ruined the Mandarin, as is the most popular complaint I've heard about the film, to which I always reply:
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”