[TV] A Game of Thrones

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:40 am

I didn't get into the show until I happened to find that HBO was running a daylong marathon of the first season about a month after the second had ended. I'd heard a bunch of friends saying really good things about it and figured I'd give it a shot. I started at the beginning of the first episode and stayed on my couch for the next 10 hours. The first ep has a great hook, which carries you into the second episode and by the time the second episode was finished, I, myself was hooked.

Give the first two episodes a shot. If you don't want to proceed further, then drop it. Simple as that.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:50 am

It was the summer after GoT first came out and I'd never even heard of it. A friend told me a little about the show and it sounded interesting enough, so we started watching it. I found it confusing, but quite compelling, and before I knew it we were out of episodes.

I'm with Guy Nacks. Give the first couple of eps a chance, Paul. You might be pleasantly surprised!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 am

Yes, it's brutal, but it's a crapsack world and people gotta do what they gotta do. It's not just for shock's sake though, despite how various bloggers protray it... the world is incredibly well put together with detailed history, complicated but understandable cross motives, and just enough fantastic elements to keep you guessing.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:40 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I have yet to read anything that makes me want to try it.
While GRRM's writing may have developed over the decades since his early works in Analog in the '70s, I'd placed him on my "do not bother" list long before the open-ended multi-volume fantasy doorstop danger signs started flashing -- and well before my almost complete burn-out on fantasy in general in the late '80s. I would say that nothing I've read has given me cause to revise my original verdict, either.

This causes surprise from time to time when people IRL just assume that it'd be on my watch list.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:13 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Well, there is child harm even in the pilot, but it's not for no reason at all. Same goes for the ep you watched. There was a reason why
SPOILER: Show
Stannis burned his daughter
, warped though it was, but without the context of prior episodes, to an outside viewer it just looks like the show sideswiped and just went "Let's burn the FUCK out of this kid!"

There is no context that makes this remotely okay. If my primary motivation for watching a show is to see major characters die horribly that's a danger sign I'm keen to heed. I'm glad people have their fun and all, but I want no part of it -- GoT can die in a fire for all I care.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 am

Actually the primary reason you watch the show is for the main character interactions, tyrion, arya, jon snow ect. they make the show worth it.
Its easy to look at a random episode of GoT and go "oh its only for the shock factor" instead of i dont know- actually watching the first episode for context and realizing that not every episode is like that?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:42 am

Okay, for context here's the deal with Stannis:

Following the death of the previous king, his brother, the realm has been in a pretty much endless war of ascension. Nobles and peasants are dying in great numbers as the various territories of the once united kingdom are coming apart at the seams, and meanwhile there's an army of magic ice zombies growing to the north that will descend upon these depopulated and broken lands in apocalyptic fashion soon.

Stannis is the only claimant to the throne who takes this supernatural threat seriously, and for good reason; he's advised by a priestess of a mysterious fire god from another continent with demonstrable powers. This priestess is convinced by various prophesies that Stannis is the reborn mythical hero Azor Ahai who will save the world from this doom as he has in previous cycles. The red god's favors always require sacrifice however, preferably the blood of kings and their families, and the legend of the hero of the last cycle tells that he had to kill his beloved wife to forge the sword of destiny, Lightbringer.

Now, given this proper framing does it make more sense how Stannis sacrificing his daughter to appease the red god before a battle that he hopes will be the first step in rebuilding the unified kingdoms that will be required to prevent the ice zombies from destroying the world? That's why you need to watch the whole show.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 am

^ Actually, I've been following the show since season one and Melisandre's motivations aren't as clear to me, you are talking as someone who has read the books. The fact that she actually believes in the Lord of Light is clear enough, but regarding Stannis, it's hard to tell if she actually believes he is a savior or if he's just another pawn she's using to fulfill the will of her lord.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 am

Well, fair enough, but it doesn't matter to understanding Stannis' choice there. It does however add context to the fact that Stannis likely isn't the chosen one at all, and has been mislead (as many others have) by trying to force prophesy to occur on their terms.

My point is that he isn't just a monster. He's a serious, determined, moral man who loves his family, respects the law, and does what is required of him by duty and faith as best he can in his limited understanding of the situation. Because he's in this particular story that means he's pretty much screwed... rigidly honorable people don't tend to last long in Westeros.
Last edited by NemZ on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:28 am

But if you can't even keep your family safe and sound, what savior can you be? :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:37 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Well, fair enough, but it doesn't matter to understanding Stannis' choice there.

Agreed, he's been led to believe it. Without this context Shireen's death scene is just unnecessary cruelty.

It was good to see Stannis' regret in the final episode though, it's not explicit but you can clearly see it in his face. The look of disappointment just before he lifts his sword to fight a battle he knows is lost, and the way he simply accepts his death, urging his killer to "do her duty" with his final words. He knew he deserved to be punished for what he did.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:43 am

I never gave a shits about Stannis. His path was filled with failures and dumb decisions. The actor wasn't good at selling the character either. I'm glad he is out of the show.

The whole season was mostly awful too, save for ep 8. The good characters are all already dead or damned to do nothing - feels like nothing actually happened. I can only hope this set things up for something better.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:53 am

And while i was defending GoT as a whole i must also agree with fireball here, this season was pretty damn weak.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:48 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Now, given this proper framing does it make more sense how Stannis sacrificing his daughter to appease the red god before a battle that he hopes will be the first step in rebuilding the unified kingdoms that will be required to prevent the ice zombies from destroying the world? That's why you need to watch the whole show.

No, that just tells me the whole damn setting just needs to go away, and that the ice zombies can't do their thing fast enough.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:10 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, that just tells me the whole damn setting just needs to go away, and that the ice zombies can't do their thing fast enough.

Stannis is not much worse than Gendo if you think about it. He's probably a better person even, given that he actually shows remorse for what he did to his daughter.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:10 pm

The Middle Ages weren't all sunshines and rainbows, man.

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Stannis is not much worse than Gendo if you think about it. He's probably a better person even, given that he actually shows remorse for what he did to his daughter.

I literally just though of this. Gendo does end up showing some remorse as well, though, but their intentions are very similar in nature.

But yeah, let's write off the whole damn show because things sometimes get nasty.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:39 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:There was a reason why
Stannis burned his daughter
, warped though it was,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several people have suggested giving this a go. Is it more recommended to go with the books or the series?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:51 pm

This show doesn't have enough forced melodrama for you.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:53 pm

It depends some things are better in the books and some people prefer things in the show, sansa and the hound's relationship is explored and shown MUCH better in the books and sansa as a whole is a stronger character there, tyrion people go either way, in the books he while still being a mostly decent person in a den of snakes is not exactly the saintliest person in the world either whereas tyrion in the show is a more positive person, there are plenty of other things that you could go either way on but personally i would watch the show if you just want to get familiar with the world and characters as its an easier entry point.

Books if you want to get to around where season 5 is and not face-palm and see how it can be done better.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:55 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several people have suggested giving this a go. Is it more recommended to go with the books or the series?

I haven't read the books, but the series (at least the first couple seasons) has the seal of approval from the author of the books himself, who actually serves as a co-executive producer on the show.

Obviously, the books are going to be more in depth than the show is, but to say that the show doesn't have depth or developed characters is a gross misrepresentation.

Book readers have lately been complaining more and more because the show is beginning to outpace what Martin has written thus far and have changed things up more in recent seasons, but the first few seasons (so I've heard) follow the first few books much more closely.

Return to “Film and Video”