What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Watching Rick and Morty with my dad. It's basically the western version of Space Dandy, in that it comes up with a ridiculous but original concept for every single episode (and I watched Space Dandy with my dad, too).
Probably the most hilarious cartoon that I've ever seen.

S2EP4  SPOILER: Show
My dad and I couldn't stop laughing when Mr. Poopy Butthole turned out to be real. And when he got inserted into the opening... I just LOVE how this show is not willing to do one-time gags like so many other adult cartoons out there. So refreshing.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:06 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:The first few episodes are really rough, but once it gets to the swing of things it gets REALLY good.
The 11 minutes per episode is both a blessing and a curse, a blessing because the earlier, rougher episodes dont overstay their welcome (not that they are bad but the cookiecat episode for example shouldn't have been any longer than it was) and its a curse because the later episode leave you wanting more.

What should episode when I get around to watching it, or when the show picks up steam?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:15 am

Breaking Bad.
Just finished season 3.
SPOILER: Show
I don't think I've ever felt more tense watching a television show than I did at the end of that episode.
And I don't think I've ever been more surprised by an episode ending than I was with the episode previous.
The plot is a multicellular organism. But unlike Walt, it doesn't have cancer.
Incredibly well done series.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:05 pm

I've finally started getting around to Steven Universe (Finished the first half of the first season) and I'm pretty damn impressed. I like Adventure Time and Regular Show a lot, but with the way this series is progressing, it might as well be better then those two shows.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Steven Universe IS better than Regular Show & Adventure Time. In my opinion Regular Show is solid but slight & Adventure Time is wonderfully inventive but never emotionally connects because instead of being honest they avoid real emotion through cutesy word play. Finn's never sad, he's just "All wonky dongle in my chest chongles".

Steven Universe though really gets into character work & solid narrative continuity. It's a show that I can see ending in two years with a hell of a final season because the writers are definitely working towards an endgame. A true rarity in American televised animation with the only comparison I can think of being "Avatar: The Last Airbender" & "The Legend of Korra".

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Steven Universe IS better than Regular Show & Adventure Time. In my opinion Regular Show is solid but slight & Adventure Time is wonderfully inventive but never emotionally connects because instead of being honest they avoid real emotion through cutesy word play. Finn's never sad, he's just "All wonky dongle in my chest chongles".

Steven Universe though really gets into character work & solid narrative continuity. It's a show that I can see ending in two years with a hell of a final season because the writers are definitely working towards an endgame. A true rarity in American televised animation with the only comparison I can think of being "Avatar: The Last Airbender" & "The Legend of Korra".

The main problem with adventure time is any time there is real progression we just go right back to status quo within a few episodes.

Also on a slightly related note, Last one out of Beach city just blows all the "we cant have bubbline because kids show" arguments out the water and then runs over the arguments corpses.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:46 am

Still haven't resumed watching Daredevil S2.
Stopped after the first 4 episodes. Have no idea why, they were monumental.
Need to finish it before Luke Cage comes out.

Blindspot S2 just started so I'm watching that.

Need to watch Peaky Blinders S3 still.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Adventure Time is wonderfully inventive but never emotionally connects because instead of being honest they avoid real emotion through cutesy word play. Finn's never sad, he's just "All wonky dongle in my chest chongles".

I've seen him react with different emotions when faced with a situation. It just so happens that Finn as a character is naturally optimistic, and if he didn't have that trait, Adventure Time's dark side would arguably show much more.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:The main problem with adventure time is any time there is real progression we just go right back to status quo within a few

This can be applied to all shows. I guess sometimes, I do want it to go back to the dramatic stuff, but I love seeing it build it's world in comedic ways.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:41 pm

I can't be the only person here that watches Mr Robot.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:42 pm

I recommended it a month or so ago in this very thread.
SPOILER: Show
View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Image

I don’t know whether this show has been brought up on this forum or not, as I’ve been in self-imposed exile for nearly a year due to various factors, but it needs to be talked about.

This show took almost everyone by surprise when it premiered last summer on (of all networks) USA, and has singlehandedly catapulted that network into the spotlight much the same way Breaking Bad did for AMC. It won 2 Golden Globes, including Best Dramatic TV Series and Best Supporting Actor for Christian Slater. The plot of the show focuses on twentysomething hacker, Elliot Alderson, who lives in NYC and works at a cybersecurity firm. He has significant psychological issues stemming from his upbringing and he utilizes hacking as both a defense mechanism and as a method to connect with others.

The concept becomes more high-stakes when he becomes recruited by a mysterious man (played by Christian Slater, in a career-resurrecting role) only known by his alias “Mr. Robot” into an Anonymous-type hacking collective with goals of a Fight Club-esque nature: Bringing down corporate influence...but with hackers. The show not only explores Elliot’s own psyche (doing so in a Dexter-like fashion), but also focuses on his past, his friend from childhood and their shared tragic history, an ambitious yuppie who serves as the primary antagonist for the first season, and a few other side characters.

As far as the technical aspects of the show, it doesn’t take it very long for it to find its own voice: The cinematography is unique to the series and shot composition feels avant-garde compared with all other television shows airing right now. It is also a very much an auteur-driven affair, with show creator Sam Esmail writing and directing several episodes himself (After the success of the first season, Esmail was given carte blanche to direct every single episode of Season 2, which premiers later this summer). The music is also synthy/electronic, and fits the mood of the show perfectly.

Performance-wise, Rami Malek is just awesome. This role, which features a morally ambiguous main character and the frequent presence of first-person narration, could very well have been a Dexter Morgan clone (you may also notice dashes of Shinji Ikari here and there) but Malek makes it his own thing, and infuses the character with such tortured psychological depth that you’ll walk out of the first season believing that Elliot Alderson is a worthy character in his own right.

I could go on and on and on, but I don't want to make this into more of a wall of text than it actually is. The first season is 10 episodes, and it receives my highest recommendation to check out. Also, do NOT research this show on IMDB or visit tvtropes because of spoilers.

It's probably the most auteur-driven show on television right now. And the one which probably has the strongest stylistic trademark and voice.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:54 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:[Mr. Robot is] probably the most auteur-driven show on television right now. And the one which probably has the strongest stylistic trademark and voice.

It shows how far TV has come to show itself as equal to movies.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:37 pm

That's a good writetup.

Honestly I think all the top writing is in TV right now. A TV series that doesn't limit itself to encapsulated plots/syndication style writing can do so much more than a movie. It's like a novel vs. a short story. Short stories can be very good but there are things they can't do and vice versa. Consider Supergirl the tv show vs. the Snyder movies.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:43 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:A TV series that doesn't limit itself to encapsulated plots/syndication style writing can do so much more than a movie. It's like a novel vs. a short story. Short stories can be very good but there are things they can't do and vice versa.

Tangentially related, but I'm currently watching Deep Space Nine on Netflix. I remember watching with my parents while it was airing in the '90s, but recall almost nothing about it other than then character names and the general premise. For those that don't know, this was the ST series where the writers really started pushing serialization and multiple episode arcs per season. There's still a bunch of bottle shows and filler episodes because each season was roughly 25 episodes long and they needed to pad out their seasonal requirements, but it feels unlike any other ST series ever created.

It feels like a 2010s iteration of Star Trek.

Honestly, I never think I'd hear myself saying this, as a lifelong TNG fan, but....DS9 is better, in large part due to shit having consequences from episode to episode and the sense of a larger unfolding story encompassing nearly all aspects in the series and not just the load of one-offs from literally every other ST series, which always kept the status quo at the end of an episode. It makes me care more about the characters (the good quality of the writing doesn't hurt either) and what happens to them and gives the series a real sense of SCALE.

The best part about it is that I can filter out low-rated and/or unnecessary filler episodes from my binge and concentrate on those that impact some aspect of the overall story...or are just highly regarded episodes.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:10 pm

^Remember, the last several episodes of the show can be considered one complete story. It could be described as a televised novel. By the way, what season are you on?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Nearly finished with Season 5.

There have been many standout episodes and two-partners, but I have to single out "The Visitor" for accomplishing the very rare feat of making be cry, which is a feat for any fictional content, let alone a Star Trek episode.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:00 am

Watched the first two episodes of the Akagi live action J-drama. Good, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi from the anime, and skips ahead straight to Namek. On the other hand, being made more recently, it looks like it's going further into the match (up to episode 39 equivalent).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 am

Anybody else watch the Dirk Gently premiere on BBC America? It's basically The Big Lebowski as written by Douglas Adams.

Here's a quick trailer.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:51 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote: It's basically The Big Lebowski as written by Douglas Adams.

You've sold me.

Watched the trailer. Seems like Dr. Who meets The Big Lebowski. Still looks neat though.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:37 am

No, I mean it literally is based on something Adam's wrote. But yes, I guess the Dr. Who vibe is there as well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:55 am

My memory of this adaptation has faded somewhat (it broadcast a while ago here). I seem to recall it was OK - but the books have far more richness and detail which it couldn't hope to emulate.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Film and Video”