What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 am

Watching Rock Star now; it's more my thing than Glee. \m/

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:00 am

Finished How To Train Your Dragon earlier. It's awesome, haha. Toothless (The dragon) is so cute!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 am

Watched Battleship for fits of giggles. Ridiculous as hell, Eagleland all the way.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 pm

The Newsroom.

It's difficult to articulate my feelings on it. It's Sorkin's best idea, but worst execution. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "hindsight is twenty-twenty" angle. I mean, yes Sam Waterston's bleeding heart liberal newsman is always right, but then is he?

And that's not to say I love Sam Waterston's performance, it's spot-on. His shitting on generation Z in the first episode was glorious, he really had his heart in it. It honestly feels like the dialogue for each character is ferociously rushed and underdeveloped. But it's like getting glimpses of greatness, and then having to watch JIM AND MAGGIE RELATIONSHIP LOL in the next scene. On that note, some of Sorkin's piss poor writing is held up by some great performances. Like Rob Lowe in the West Wing, John Gallagher and Allison Pill make the most out of poorly written characters. Pill is literally a Pill in this show, and like Skylar in Breaking Bad, is probably making a career performance out of MAKING PEOPLE HATE THE SHIT OUT OF HER. Gallagher's Jim is probably the most under-utilized character archetype in the show -- there was potential for a great "mother to significant other" potential in there with him, Mackenzie (Emily Mortimer) and Pill, but it's tossed by the second episode for RELATIONSHIP DRAMA.

Also, on Emily Mortimer -- I'm not sure why I'm consumed with the inner desire to make her my real-life waifu. She's really not that intelligent, and her pseudo-intellectuality is really getting the better of me. But, jesus what I'd do to her. I realize why WILL MOTHERFUCKER MACAVOY (Jeff Daniels, in great form) is so bitter.

The constant zooms are pretty annoying on a technical level, and sometimes the TELEPHOTO OUT OF NOWHERE can get pretty annoying, but for the most part, it's a decent shooting of a Sorkin drama, which I'd never want to be on the camera end for. WIDE ANGLE SHOUTING SHOUTING WHIP-PAN MORE SHOUTING

When the series wraps up, expect a more fleshed out review on Forced Perspective
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:47 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:It's difficult to articulate my feelings on it. It's Sorkin's best idea, but worst execution. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "hindsight is twenty-twenty" angle. I mean, yes Sam Waterston's bleeding heart liberal newsman is always right, but then is he?

I generally find that he's appealing enough in his righteousness that I just don't care; I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and let him be right just to see him scold the fuck outta people who really ought to know better. It worked in Law and Order, it works here. Guess I'm just a Waterston mark. -o-;
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Finished watching Twin Peaks for the first time.

SPOILER: Show
I feel I shouldn't comment on it for some reason. I want to say I was disappointed in how a lot of the characters seem to have been killed for no reason in the last episode and how Annie felt like she was pulled straight from the anus of Mr. We-need-a-love-interest but whenever I think that to myself I can't help but feel that they were handled in this way for a reason that I'm just not noticing. Then there's it ending with Bob possessing Cooper. It just doesn't seem right to me, but it also seems done for a reason I just don't get. I would rewatch it to re-evaluate but it's more than 11 hours of footage and I'll be damned if I'm going through it all again for at least another year.

I liked everything in Black Lodge however, though I wonder why we didn't see anything of White Lodge. Again, I feel that's just something I missed. I'm guessing White Lodge being opened with love and Black Lodge being opened with fear is something that's supposed to retroactively apply to the rest of the show?

Actually, I just found out the show's run was cut short and that they were making it up as they went along mostly, so most of what I said can be attributed to that.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Truly Horrible LEARNING! BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:47 am

Horrible Histories. Take that, Hitler!

It's good to get the history geek in me a breath of fresh air now and again, that this is done in the style of Monty Python's Flying Circus skits is icing on the cake.

Because of this show, I can now correctly identify the British eras from here to the middle ages, and now know the source of the quote "Warts and all".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Murmur
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Murmur » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 am

A movie called Noroi. Probably Shiraishi's masterpiece. He grew a bit too arrogant after that, so Noroi is IMO his best movie.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:10 pm

I am currently watching animal cops. Because every dog needs a hero.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:10 am

Going through Parks & Recreation again. I am in celebritycrushlove with Aubrey Plaza and Rashida Jones.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Just finished watching Guillermo del Toro's The devil's Backbone I liked it very much, thr people who drop of Carlos never tell him That his father died in the war, but aside from that he movie had me tense throughout with Santi providing most of the scares. On to the two characters I just hated Jacinto the psychopath for what he did to Santi, I mean trowing him into that little pool come on! I'm glad Santi drowned his ass. I also hated the way he killed his girlfriend .Carmen the head if the orphanage wasn't on favorites list either but that's mostly for cheating on the old doctor Casares.

Overall the movie was great everybody should give it a watch.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Just finished Season 2 of Breaking Bad on Bluray. Damn is it good, although I worry that the second season finale is a bit too much of an implausible butterfly effect.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 pm

I've been watching the first season of FX's Wilfred on Netflix. Elijah Wood as an unemployed wash-up who watches over his hot neighbor's dog, whom he and only he sees as a man in a dog suit. It's absurd, surreal, and very funny. It's an open -- and altogether unimportant -- question whether Wood's character Ryan is nuts or if Wilfred really can talk and take hits from a bong. What's more important is if Wilfred is trying to help Ryan get his life together through liberal application of "tough love", or if he's just a self-servicing troll of the nth degree.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 am

Watch the Australian original version. Same dawg.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Just catched up with the last Breaking Bad episode. Man, how can they split the season like that? Now I have to wait a year. Feels bad man.
Last edited by Fireball on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Tried watching an episode of Scandal. The style was irritating.

Trying to watch an episode of Secret Garden. I'm now remembering that I don't like Korean dramas. I should start watching the first episodes of random Korean dramas and write play-by-plays of my reactions on my blog or something.

Only reason I tried watching either is because their lead actresses (Kerry Washington and Ha Ji-Won, respectively) are two of my Official Top #1 Super Idols.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 am

Watching Lip Service on Netflix. Tis good.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm actually unironically enjoying that Korean drama. Someone shoot me.

Seriously, despite the cheesy aesthetics, Ha Ji-Won and Hyun Bin are very amusing together.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:36 am

http://m.gizmodo.com/5947507/this-guy-proposed-to-his-girlfriend-by-faking-a-plane-crash

Best proposal ever

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:16 am

What a massive fucking douchebag.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Return to “Film and Video”