Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 am

View Original Postairman4 wrote:everybody know you are a anime fan dude , no shame/gay about this del toro ,

View Original Postairman4 wrote:no shame/gay about this del toro ,

View Original Postairman4 wrote:no shame/gay

View Original Postairman4 wrote: be a man.

SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:52 am

View Original Postairman4 wrote:Pacific Ripp ?

By that logic Eva is just as much of a rip-off, considering it recycled the monoeye from Gunbuster and 500 different Zeonic designs.

and of course
the consultants

That's a troll-edited fake list unless proven otherwise.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:30 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:By that logic Eva is just as much of a rip-off, considering it recycled the monoeye from Gunbuster and 500 different Zeonic designs.

That's a troll-edited fake list unless proven otherwise.

Ok for the troll list , so the pictures i posted have nothing to do with the pic of eva 00 ? (camera plans , bridges , placement of the robot etc)

Okay.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:48 am

Well, aside the facts that character personalities, some settings, robots remind of Eva and other mecha shows, does it have anything original? (Haven't seen it yet)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:55 am

Finally, I have time to talk about this.

Nyan and Freaky have the right of it re: the script. Dialogue was weak as hell, characters were bland and boring, and the performances were serviceable but uninspiring. I'll also add that the choice to set most of the battles at night was irksome; we saw Kaiju stomping around during the day but never got a decent fight in daylight, and that's a pretty stark contrast to the source material.

To expand on that: the lack of prosthetics/setpieces really hurt the film IMO. Ever since Transformers rolled out the trend toward overly complex CGI had dominated the Hollywood movie industry, and while it was better here than elsewhere it still wasn't as good as some of the basic prop work we saw even 30-50 years ago. CGI should be one tool of many, not your go-to workhorse for all of your visual effects. As such I have to break with the pack and say I really wasn't impressed with the battle scenes; they had their moments, but it was too much, too fast, and too repetitive. They just didn't work for me.

As for the movie in general: profound "meh" all around. The characters mostly avoided devolving into stereotypes, which is high praise for an action flick, but between the criticisms above and
SPOILER: Show
the ending
I just can't get all that hyped about it. It was a lot better than I expected, though.

Airman, Gigi, Seele-01: Confirmation bias at work fellas. I saw pretty much nothing from Eva in this show. Nothing. Mako as Rei? Don't make me laugh. She's not a schizoid person, and you're confusing "generic passive Asian chick" with "Rei". Asian girls always act like that when they aren't doing martial arts sequences. That's the stereotype, and you can see it in any Hollywood movie ever made with Asian women in the supporting cast. It's really annoying, but it's not a rip-off of Eva by any means. And Unit 00? Did you guys even stop to consider the fact that that Jaeger has three arms, is red, and plays with buzzsaws? Giving the mech a monoeye doesn't make del Toro a liar, particularly when that feature's the only thing the mechs have in common.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:16 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:so the pictures i posted have nothing to do with the pic of eva 00 ? (camera plans , bridges , placement of the robot etc)

Of course the shots look similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the head component was a legit Eva reference. The crux of the matter is, why should anyone's reaction to these shout-outs be anything more than "That's neat"?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Guys, I came to see a film about giant robots smashing the shit out of alien monsters. I got a film about giant robots smashing the shit out of alien monsters. Would it have been nice if there was a little more story? Yes. However, since I wasn't paying attention to how well-developed the characters were or even particularly to things that didn't make sense, I got the movie that I paid to go see and I was very satisfied with it.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:34 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Of course the shots look similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the head component was a legit Eva reference. The crux of the matter is, why should anyone's reaction to these shout-outs be anything more than "That's neat"?

I'm a fan of eva , i'm a fan of del toro
I mean come on , we are not insulting del toro by poiting those

In rebuild movies you have movies reference too , you don't see people insulting the guy wich is saying that the plan in the 3.33 beginning is similar to an old french movie or on another domain saying that 12 monkeys film is very inspired by another old movie

I mean , i dont like when someone just discuss those similar points , that's all.

Other than that yeah , pacific rim is great and all and also it's funny to see all those refences.

For "pacific ripp" it was a joke with the words
If that hurted your feeling then i'm sorry.

Anyway Rim is dying right now
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-pacific-rim-584939

Grown up killed it in america (maybe worldwide too)

Sandler superior to Jaeger for people ?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:Anyway Rim is dying right now
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-pacific-rim-584939

No, it ain't. It's not Monday yet, and the box offices weren't even close to closing for the opening weekend results at 8:18 am PDT Saturday. (The time of the article's posting.) I also find it hilarious that the headline states PR is getting third with it reports in the article itself that it's currently second to a film's total grossings after being in theaters for about two weeks.

I wonder if Hollywood Reporter was paid to advertise for a Sandler film, hence typing up stupid nonsense. It would be the first time things like this happened.

EDIT: Here's another article predicting PR's box office outcome, this time recognizing it's already outselling WWZ in ticket sales.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:and of course
the consultants
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:

The film was dedicated to Honda and Harryhausen. The special thanks had people like James Cameron and David Cronenberg in it. I forget who else was mentioned in the special thanks, but it wasn't Honda or Anno or anyone like that.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:02 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The film was dedicated to Honda and Harryhausen. The special thanks had people like James Cameron and David Cronenberg in it. I forget who else was mentioned in the special thanks, but it wasn't Honda or Anno or anyone like that.

I really wish he'd taken more leaves from Honda's and Harryhausen's books. Some suits, puppets, prosthetics, and stop-motion would have drastically improved the quality of the effects sequences (though I seem to be in the minority since I don't care for what was in the film, so perhaps that's a goal not worth pursuing).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:51 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:(camera plans , bridges , placement of the robot etc)

Anno said that he got that scene composition from the first episode of Combattler V:
Anno: Yeah, the first episode of _Con-V_ is the standard, orthodox way of doing it. All characters are gathered, and the robot is shown from the face first. In the manga _Mazinger_, beyond the startled face of Koji, there's the face of the robot. You have a robot, and it has a face. That's what the face is there for.

There's plenty of other shows that has done it before Eva.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Fun "turn off your brain and enjoy" movie! Loved the homage to Mecha and Kaijuu genres. Oh, (not reading 18+ pages right now) supposedly del Toro hasn't even seen Eva. Pacific Rim was more of a nod to '60's and '70's anime/movies.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:(not reading 18+ pages right now)
It took me a while to understand what you meant because I assumed you were talking about some adults only section of the website I wasn't aware of.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:41 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Fun "turn off your brain and enjoy" movie! Loved the homage to Mecha and Kaijuu genres. Oh, (not reading 18+ pages right now) supposedly del Toro hasn't even seen Eva. Pacific Rim was more of a nod to '60's and '70's anime/movies.

This was also the feeling I got. This is less cynical than Gundam even. Great movie, too.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:56 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Fun "turn off your brain and enjoy" movie!

I guess. The movie doesn't ask the viewer to do any critical thinking. I usually hear "turn your brain off" in defense of a film with major stupid plot holes or something (which I won't ever do), but this film didn't suffer from that in the slightest. If you want a movie where it's safe to cease from critical thinking for a while, Pacific Rim won't treat you like an idiot for it.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

It was a movie with giant robots and monsters smacking the shit out of each other. Plot? Character development? These are bonuses that I really didn't care about. I came to see giant robots, and giant robots were what I got. SSD pretty much summed up my opinions on the film.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:40 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I don't believe that Guillermo hasn't seen Eva. Character similarities are too close to be "just" "coinfidence.

Why would he lie?

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:10 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Why would he lie?

put yer tin foil hats on mates me spy conspiracy theories on the horizon.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Film and Video”