Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Well, NGE homages other giant mecha and kaiju shows. Of course one will see similarities between this and NGE. It's kind of inevitable when these things start pulling from the same source for inspiration.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

SPOILER: Show

surprised no has drawn some connections to Mu luv alternative
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:30 am

Turns out Ellen McLain won't be doing full on Glados for the Movie.

Summary: Del Toro's a big Portal fan so he wanted to include the voice for the trailer, but in the movie the filter will be slightly different.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah. Clearly it isn't a reference to Eva because Eva never referenced WWII with names like "Ayanami" and "Soryu."

Silly filmmakers...

I don't think you quite got my point. One of the reasons why I've paid some attention to this project (aside from Del Toro) is the potential "big budget Hollywood mecha film influenced by Eva" deal. The early script draft certainly pointed into that direction. However the trailer and Del Toro's comments just makes the likelihood of any interesting evaisms being present much slighter than before.

Since I didn't care one bit for the footage shown either my interest in Pacific Rim is sinking faster than Titanic.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 am

I'm super excited for the film, clearly.

I like the idea of WWII imagery being present but there's gonna be a huge amount of anime references & influences present in the film that I think the marketing is going to keep down. A huge story in the film is the two pilots having to learn how to connect even though they don't speak the same language - He speaks English, She Japanese.

Also, I truly hope PACIFIC RIM is such a success that it makes doing a live action Evangelion an impossibilty. Any Hollywood live action Mecha movie to follow would be attacked & viewed as nothing more than a ripoff. Case in point: John Carter of Mars may have come first but by the time the movie hit is was derivative as hell (didn't help that they stripped Mars out of the title & left the movie with a reallly boring name).

Either way, whichever way Pacific Rim goes in regards to it's story it certainly is MY most anticpated stupid blockbuster of 2013. It's the only original mega-project out there that isn't a reboot or sequel to some superhero movie.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Since Del Toro has denied inspiration from NGE, I'm wondering how long it'll be until we start hearing how Pacific Rim "totally rips off Evangelion".

I just plain think the denial is suspicious or stupid. Either he's saying he's never seen Eva, or he's got memories that are part of his creative process and he's somehow magically managed to not use them.

Talk about absolute control of your subconscious mind, yo.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm

As much as I like Del Toro, and I don't want to jump on this cliche bandwagon of ripoff that people are building, I think he's lying. I swear I read an article where he said that it was AT LEAST inspired by NGE.

Also, about the script that's going around... How do people know it's real?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:44 pm

because, when leaked months and months ago, it correctly predicted material appearing in much more recent trailers? Granted it's probably not a final version, but there is no reason to assume it's bullshit either.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

What about Pacific Rim is specifically Eva that couldn't have come from other mecha anime that influenced Eva or that Eva influenced?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 pm

New trailer for Pacific Rim. This time it shows a lot more footage with the jaeger pilots duking it out in sychronized motions. And look their helmets....they're filled with some green-ish goo liquid? Pacific Rim's version of LCL?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ewefDmy44tM[/url]

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:10 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:New trailer for Pacific Rim. This time it shows a lot more footage with the jaeger pilots duking it out in sychronized motions. And look their helmets....they're filled with some green-ish goo liquid? Pacific Rim's version of LCL?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ewefDmy44tM[/url]

That last roar was ripped straight out of Jurassic Park. I would know. While in my "dinosaur phase" I watched those movies about 50 times each... per week.

That stuff could very well be some kind of synching fluid.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 am

^ Yeah the T-Rex roar near the end was pretty jarring for me too.... They really need to stop using that overused roar for every generic monster out there....

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:New trailer for Pacific Rim. This time it shows a lot more footage with the jaeger pilots duking it out in sychronized motions. And look their helmets....they're filled with some green-ish goo liquid? Pacific Rim's version of LCL?

Bruce Willis had something like that in Abyss, but it wasn't yellow...
I think we're being trolled.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 am

Bruce Willis?
No man, just no.

I don't even know what to think of Pacific Rim yet. Doesn't really look that interesting though.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Bruce Willis had something like that in Abyss, but it wasn't yellow...
I think we're being trolled.

That substance was a fluorocarbon used for liquid breathing. The technology is very real, but it hasn't been tested on humans yet. And yeah, as Faz said, that was Ed Harris in Abyss.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Movie looks lame, the monster looks like a Godzilla creature (not a good thing), mechs kinda look cool but they don't do much for me, the opening narration was lame and cliche, and I bet the cast of this movie will be filled with one dimensional characters. This will probably a movie for testosterone filled teenage boys or bros to high five each other for when the credits hit.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Movie looks lame, the monster looks like a Godzilla creature (not a good thing), mechs kinda look cool but they don't do much for me, the opening narration was lame and cliche, and I bet the cast of this movie will be filled with one dimensional characters. This will probably a movie for testosterone filled teenage boys or bros to high five each other for when the credits hit.

And what you were expecting?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:And what you were expecting?

Gospel 1.0: Dance Like You Can (Not) Win

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Something nice :(

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm

I was kinda hoping Del Toro would be the one to direct the LAEM. But now I'd say its much less likely he'd have anything to do with it.

On the plus side, this goes well it might revive interest in LAEM on the American side.

Return to “Film and Video”