Cowboys & Aliens starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:23 pm

I feel the need to defend my honor, however I have a hot date tonight and I cannot afford to be late.

Anyways, lets topic.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I feel the need to defend my honor, however I have a hot date tonight and I cannot afford to be late.

If you have another date in the future, I recommend watching Cowboys and Aliens when it comes out. I hear it's built around just having a lot of fun. :wink:

For some unexplained reason, this movie just fascinates me more and more. It might have something to do with it's simplicity (A.K.A. Cowboys and Aliens), but we'll see how it goes.

I still will probably wait for the cheap theater, though. Not because of the movie, but just because I'm as poor as dirt at the moment.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 am

Guys, I've came back from the future to tell you that I just got laid after renting Cowboys and Aliens 10th anniversary edition. I'm glad it finally got released on HVD, it was well worth the ninety dollars.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 am

No way. The dollar is still around?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Sounds a bit more fun than Monsters vs. Aliens. :rolleyes: Better be damn impressed. Plus, Craig + Favreau = Awesome film.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:37 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Plus, Craig + Favreau = Awesome film.

You're forgetting the baddest-ass U.S. President: Harrison Ford.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:You're forgetting the baddest-ass U.S. President: Harrison Ford.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:50 pm

^all joking aside, agreed

if only there was an IRL PotUS James Marshall

closer now on topic, as popcorn movie fun as this flick could be, my money on a more supreme enjoyment of a movie involving aliens is this, if only because it just SCREAMS Halo and it would be so awesome if Aaron Eckhart was MC, and it kind of reminds of Black Hawk Down in a very positive way
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:09 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:if only because it just SCREAMS Halo

Good god, I hope not. If they ever do make a Halo movie that wildly disparate from the fluff, like that thankfully aborted Blomkamp project, I'll consider the good karma Bungie built up from PiD, Marathon, Myth, and Halo 1-2 to finally be canceled out.

Which is not to say that Battle:LA looks utterly dreadful. I was hoping for something a bit more like the original plan for Alien 3, but evil military-industrial horror aliens overrunning Earth can be just as good as evil biohorror aliens overrunning Earth.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:28 pm

I saw Cowboys & Aliens, and it did not suck

What I LIKED about Cowboys & Aliens

1. HARRISON FORD. Oh my Lord, it has been since the Clinton Administration that he has been so great in a good movie. Why he has not been in more westerns is beyond me. I want the whole genre resurrected just so he can become the 21st century John Wayne. Damn was he good.

2. This is perhaps the first time that a sci-fi/western film has worked since maybe Back to the Future Part III, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. I think it worked so well because even though the plotline was very sci-fi, all the charcters and setting pretty much stayed like a western.

3. I know I gushed over Harrison Ford, but everybody acted well in this, even the aliens and that dog.

What I DISLIKED about Cowboys & Aliens

1. Almost nothing on the film's face, except for maybe some more back-story needing to be established before the action heated up as opposed to filling in the back-story via random (ADD?) dialogue throughout the film.

2. So many people's sour reaction. I know this is not the case among my friends, but a lot of people seem down on this movie as if they cannot wrap their heads around a sci-fi/western, thought it should just be a comedy, or they stupidly think The Smurfs in 3D is better or something. :rolleyes:

this is easily one of the best films of the year, which is not saying much due to its competition, but this turned out to be so much better than I could have imagined, and is perhaps the first over-promoted movie to actually be good since I could remember

when I first saw trailers for this earlier this year, I put my palm to my face and sighed in frustration at the absurdity of the title alone, got really annoyed at the ceaseless marketing SEVERAL MONTHS ago, and was not going to see it until people whose opinion I trust said it was actually quite good, and I saw it and was not disappointed
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 am

Should have posted this here, but I didn't see this thread on a quick inspection. Oh well, what can one do :\
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:11 am

I was hoping for Cowboys vs Pirates.
Oh well, better than nothing.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:52 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Are there any five year old boys on this forum? Besides Twin Drive, that is?

No, bad muggy! You stay to boys your age, its bad enough we have that problem in my own faith. (lol, a joke at my own expense, what good it it to laugh after all if you can't laugh at yourself?)
The movie wasn't so bad actually, I am usually game for anything with Harrison ford in it. The one thing that bugged me though was the inaccuracy. We have seen in our own history that when an advanced civilization comes into contact with a less advanced one that it doesn't fare well for the less evolved one, so to tell the truth instead of the bullshit ending with the westerners defeating the aliens, they should have had the aliens obliterate the entire lot of them. That's just my two cents though, its a good theatrical romp.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Besides Twin Drive, that is?

Tisk tisk Mug-Man. :tsk:

Anyway, I think I'll catch this when it gets on DVD as I've seen too many movies this summer.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Just watched it.

Relatively true to the original (except the end). No background, but thankfully, I read the original so I managed. (Not a lot of exposition from the film... not that hard to guess, but I would have liked a bit more)

That women who is actually an alien or something, cannot act as if she is in pain. I cringed at the fake panting and face palmed.

Also, people seem to fire more than six or eight shots from a single revolver (no obvious second as they are all slinging singles) with no obvious reloads. The pistols shown were with the ramrods, so should take a while anyway, but was quite annoyed at the fact that people can shoot more than most revolvers should be chambering.

Overall, entertaining.
I feel old

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Feb 07, 2011 wrote:I'm 20, fool.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Aug 27, 2011 wrote:Tisk tisk Mug-Man. :tsk:

Awesome. I burned you so hard that you had to respond twice.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 pm

I saw Cowboys & Aliens. It just washed over me & was forgotten the following day. I like Jon Favreau as a filmmaker but there was zero FUN in Cowboys & Aliens. It's not a great film but C&A should've had the fun pure escapist energy of his Zathura.

Thankfully a week later I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes & all my faith in fun Hollywood filmmaking was reassuring. In the scheme of Summer 2011 I'm surprised 20th Century Fox- a studio that mismanages their productions to death- delivered the two best escapist films of the summer with X-Men: First Class & Apes.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

MONKEYS! BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:13 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:In the scheme of Summer 2011 I'm surprised 20th Century Fox- a studio that mismanages their productions to death- delivered the two best escapist films of the summer with X-Men: First Class & Apes.

Your idea of escapism is the world on the cuff of being taken over by primates?

Papa, be honest, are you an ape infiltrator?

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Yes. But to be fair, in Rise we Apes didn't want to take over the planet. We just wanted to get away from Draco Malfoy & you crazy San Francisco..ans so we could make sweet simian love in the wild!

Return to “Film and Video”