The Dark Knight Rises

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm a little worried about this film now...I mean Bane's gang ride around in tumblers? At least Bane doesn't look like a lame wrestler.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Honestly can't get too excited about set photos of Batman fighting Bane.
Not when fuzzy pics of the ComicCon presentation of Ridley Scott's It Is/It Isn't Alien Prequel PROMETHEUS hit the net today!!!

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4228/afootagesnaps.jpg

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm

and now for more spolierific productions stills and stuff

************SPOILERS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**************

one

two (in HD)

my thoughts so far:
SPOILER: Show
I am really excited about this football stadium scene

I had wanted such a scene to happen during that show 24 during a Lakers game at the Staples Center or a USC or UCLA football game in the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl

it makes me wonder if this is going to be like Die Hard, The Last Boy Scout, or Sudden Death (which are good things IMO)

as for the Selina Kyle Catwoman look, I...am not sure yet

maybe I have too many perverted thoughts that linger about Batman Returns or I am WAY too nostalgic for Batman: TAS, but it just looks odd

perhaps this incarnation of Selina Kyle plays the role of a double agent, acting like she is "inspired" by Batman's vigilantism as he takes her under his wing (which explains her using the Batpod in those stills) only to stab him in the back in the end?

coupled with the earlier productions stills involving Bane with a tumbler, it makes me assume part of TDKR's story line involves Wayne Enterprise's technology getting stolen and copied by the bad guys
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:32 pm

These photos are blasting my high hopes like torpedos.

Selina looks bad. The costume is hideously generic, and who could possibly think the blue glowy thingy is a good idea? Worst of all, there's nothing cat-like about it. That's not much of a Catwoman, is it? This is especially galling since her current extremely awesome costume in the comics would already work perfectly in live action.

I can only hope there's some truth to the rumors that these pictures depict an early prototype suit before Selina really gets her look down.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I can only hope there's some truth to the rumors that these pictures depict an early prototype suit before Selina really gets her look down.

Well, they did the same thing with Batman in Batman Begins. In fact, he was just some dude on black clothes and a ski-mask wielding the hinge of a stapler before he got his look all sorted out.

At the same time, I can't think of a way to introduce any type of cat persona into a costume and character in a way that has the same realistic feel in which Nolan has been presenting his trilogy so far. It might be doable, and if it is doable then Nolan and his team would be the guys to figure it out. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:At the same time, I can't think of a way to introduce any type of cat persona into a costume and character in a way that has the same realistic feel in which Nolan has been presenting his trilogy so far. It might be doable, and if it is doable then Nolan and his team would be the guys to figure it out.

You act like that's some monumental challenge, when in fact, they have their work cut out for them. Here's the design by Darwyn Cooke that's currently in use:

SPOILER: Show

Functional, believable, yet with subtle cat elements. No bizarre blue thingies. Tell me that wouldn't work in live action.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 pm

It's not the functioning or the look of a cat costume that's the problem, it's more about giving a her a realistic purpose to wear the costume.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:It's not the functioning or the look of a cat costume that's the problem, it's more about giving a her a realistic purpose to wear the costume.
I don't think Nolan has to worry about that. He didn't exactly give Bruce Wayne a realistic purpose to run around dressed as a bat, he just pulled it right out of the comic books: it looks cool, the character is obsessed with bats, and it's scary. Following the same line of thought, Selina Kyle should be a piece of cake. They could even draw from her segment in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, though that's more noir than Nolan's taken his films.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:It's not the functioning or the look of a cat costume that's the problem, it's more about giving a her a realistic purpose to wear the costume.

That's simple. She sees the effect Batman has and takes him as an inspiration. It would put her in the headlines, obfuscate the fact that she's a thief and give her a presence that unhinges her enemies. A Selina Kyle that's the least bit faithful should be very playful and have a love of cats. It's not exactly hard to go from there.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 am

Keep in mind that the character has never been officially called "Catwoman", only Selina Kyle. I'm pretty sure Nolan can handle it just fine - we've only seen stills so far.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Kenshin Sephiroth
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Kenshin Sephiroth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 pm

God, I hope Bane breaks the Batman's back. Whatta twist!
"Sentient ice cream."

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:40 am

Batwing got a GERWALK mode, lol

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/1314254883365.jpg/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/1314255004692.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

Dude, that's Badass.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 pm

I love that the first photo of the Batwing has a large NO TURNS sign in the upper right hand corner. A sign you know Batman is not going to obey.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:47 pm

That's downtown Pittsburgh. The one thing about the filming here that is pretty cool is the amount of snow they generate. I had to drop someone off at the bus station the other day and drove near where they were filming and the air was filled with snowflakes like it was a snow storm, on an 85 degree day.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:48 pm

and now Nolan has signed on a mystery woman character

if there is any way she ends up being this character, I will practically explode while I sing this song

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

You know what? Christopher Nolan isn't really very good with female characters.

As far as I've been able to determine, the only good female character in a Christopher Nolan movie has been Hillary Swank's character in Insomnia - which he just happened not to write. Carrie-Anne Moss's role in Memento was all right too, I suppose, but too irrelevant to the narrative to really count. It's kind of noteworthy for him to even have more than a single token female in any given script.

That, more than anything, is what worries me about Catwoman's involvement.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:24 am

^ Well, he doesn't cast them very well half of the time. I never liked how either actress portrayed Rachael in Nolan's Batman movies. Though I do like Ellen Page in Inception, and Cobb's wife was portrayed very well inside the film. We'll see what happens with Nolan's female characters in Rises.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm really inclined to blame the writing. Nolan's women simply do not have the finesse or psychological depth that his men do. A big part of that is that all his leads and most developed characters have been male, but even so, I don't think his female characters make the grade as members of the supporting cast either. They're lucky if they even have a role driving the development of male characters. Let's face it, Ariadne in Inception didn't really have a purpose aside from inviting exposition, and Cobb's wife wasn't even a real character most of the time, merely an aspect of Cobb and a fairly abstract source of drama.

And Rachel... well, despite being actor-impaired, she was actually pretty decent in Batman Begins. The Dark Knight pretty much ruined her, by doing away with her character arc in favor of making her the sidekick of a newly-introduced male character and defining her solely by being a love interest. And then she was stuffed in the fridge.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I disagree with you on Ariadne and Cobb's wife, especially the latter (good Lord!!)

but, I have to agree with you on Rachel

looking back, I almost forgot how much Rachel was cut out of TDK compared with Batman Begins with the resulting gap of time being absorbed by Harvey Dent

I do think that the appearance of Selina Kyle implies a new love interest and that should be very interesting for obvious reasons

Anne Hathaway may not be Natalie Portman, but she is far from that English supermodel from Transformers 3: Dark (Side) of the Moon

Return to “Film and Video”