EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:It was produced by the infamous hackmaster Joseph Lai. Here's a short explanation of his typical modus operandi, and Wikipedia has a nicely detailed article about his arguably more famous compatriot Godfrey Ho.

Thanks Dr.Nick. The wikipedia article said Godfrey Ho was referred to as "Ed Wood of Hong Kong Cinema" but he does not even have a wikipedia article in Chinese :lol: I never heard of him either. I guess he must be a lot more famous in the west...

As for Sucker Punch, the link Xard posted http://io9.com/5785590/sucker-punch-goes-beyond-awful-to-become-commentary-on-the-death-of-moviemaking -- I find I am more inclined towards the comments (e.g. "I'm not saying you're a plant or anything, but ooh boy this post sounds like an advertisement. ") and, yes, it does get me curious to want to check this flick.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 am

Death Valley: The Revenge of Bloody Bill and it was fantastic (where does Asylum come up with these ideas?).
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:50 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Bullshit, Jackie Brown is awesome. It's the only time in Tarantino's life that he's managed to be subtle, probably because the script is based off an Elmore Leonard novel. It's definitely one of his best films, despite or even because it's free of the more fanboyish set pieces of his other films. You should definitely see it.

well, yeah. Just like Reservoir Dogs it has been on my to watch list for years lol. I'll get to it eventually.

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:He'd rather live of a hermetic lifestyle of dead tree humping and poetry writing than spend all his time discussing a fifteen-year-old Japanime. He's just that exciting.

Same as ever I'd say but he rather not spending all his time "discussing a fifteen-year-old Japanime" is not in his character.

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I know I am.I'll probably even watch the crappy third one, too.

Question is matter of obtaining it to me. I'm not willing to pay for it, a friend had it on DVD. But he doesn't have Bride...

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Really? That's an odd thing to get upset about. I did in fact re-read Lovecraft's original short story before seeing the film again, and S.T. Joshi notes the headless zombie bit is basically when the story stops taking itself seriously. (Because West's whole shtick was that the body is a machine that could function independently without a soul, and then for no reason he does a 180 and decides that individual human parts can somehow function without being attached to a body.) I've always known it was absurd, but I've just kind of gone with it because it was bloody hysterical and such an integral part of a wacky story.

It must be so hard being a killjoy.

It's not that I couldn't go with it, I'm just saying that is the latest point after which film stops utterly working without turning off one's more critical faculties. Or as I said in previous post:, you stop thinking at that point if you don't want to be thrown out from the film.

So yes, it's utter nonsense writing but something I can let slide.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Thanks Dr.Nick. The wikipedia article said Godfrey Ho was referred to as "Ed Wood of Hong Kong Cinema" but he does not even have a wikipedia article in Chinese :lol: I never heard of him either. I guess he must be a lot more famous in the west...

Well reading my big quote would explain that:

Anime fans, who seem to be the bulk of the people who have stumbled across this lost work of art, may not have any idea who Joseph Lai is. They wouldn’t even think to suspect that having his name attached to a project is in any way significant. Ahh, but we fans of old kungfu B-movies — we know better, don’t we? And we can impart our knowledge to the purely anime fans who have not ventured into the dark realm of crappy slapdash ninja films. Lai forms a mysterious triumvirate along with Thomas Tang and Godfrey Ho — indeed there are those who swear the three men are actually the same man, or are some sort of super-being that can split a single consciousness into three separate entities with, I assume, cheesy 1970s pencil-thin mustaches and Amber-vision sunglasses. Lai (and when I refer to Joseph Lai, I am by default also referring to Thomas Tang and Godfrey Ho) Is best known for coming out of relatively nowhere to produce an unheard of number of movies in an extremely short period of time. Binding these films together was the presence of ninjas.

And there’s no doubt that they are ninjas, even if they’re white guys (most often, Italian b-movie staple Richard Harrison) because they often wear headbands that say “Ninja!!!!” on them, in that jagged “Oriental” font. The Tang/Ho/Lai uni-mind was able to produce, direct, and distribute so many films because their style of filmmaking was to buy up a couple cheap Hong Kong or Filipino films, splice them all together, then inject some new scenes of white guy ninjas and try, via dubbing, to tie the whole thing together into some sort of story that might flirt on occasion with coherency without ever actually committing to the concept.

The movies they used were almost always dirt cheap nonsense, though from time to time I have seen one of their ninja movies and recognized at least one of the films that served as the source. Aside from splicing films together, dashing off a new script, and inserting random scenes of white guys in shiny metallic purple or red and yellow ninja outfits into the proceedings (and all movies could benefit from such insertions), they’d also steal music cues from whatever movie happened to be popular — which, to be fair, was hardly unique to the poverty row Lai/Tang/Ho operation, as even big budget films from Hong Kong during the 80s were known to lift cues and entire musical scores from other films. But while some films, say John Woo’s The Killer or Hard Boiled, lifted scores people might not recognize (save for the ten people in the world who rushed out to buy the Red Heat soundtrack). The cheaper films usually just used Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Mix all these ingredients together, and you literally have a nearly endless reservoir of movies than can be made, quite literally, in a few days. And so the world is blessed with titles like Ninja Phantom Heroes, Ninja in the Claws of the CIA, Ninja Diamond Force, and countless others. You could probably write a thousand-page tome by doing nothing but reviewing these ninja films, for their numbers are so great.

so yeah, he "directed" these turds for western market apparently

also

The evil general with the bulk of fat at the end of his neck is actually North Korean communist dictator Kim Il Sung. The scenes are taken from “Solar Adventure”, a South Korean cartoon made in the 1980s, where commies from the north ally themselves with space invaders. I kid you not.

LOL!

as for sucker punch, it's simply a bad film but :shrug:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 am

View Original PostXard wrote:as for sucker punch, it's simply a bad film but :shrug:

It's a movie about Zack Snyder's iPod playlist. That's really all there is to it.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Saw The King's Speech.

Kind of meh at times(not really, I just couldn't understand a word at times because I saw this in english class with a kind of dejected audience and on a shitty TV with worn speakers on top of it all), but I am impressed.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:02 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Light years below Pulp Fiction and definetly underperformed next to my expectations. Not a bad flick but resoundingly "meh" in general.

Looks like out of Tarantino's body of work only Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill duology are fantastic to me.

Funny, I was just planning to watch Reservoir Dogs for the first time. I hope I won't have the same reaction, out of his movies I also think Pulp Fiction (which I happened to watch with a friend just the other day..) and Kill Bill are the best. Also Jackie Brown was indeed kind of "meh"

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Hou Hsiao-Hsien's The Puppetmaster
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 pm

I have no plans to watch sucker punch ever. It just looked too stupid to me. When I saw the trailer for it I face palmed out of how stupid it looked to me
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:I have no plans to watch sucker punch ever.

Good call, you're missing nothing by making that decision.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Puppet Master(1989)One of the very few late 1980s horror films that I like. my favorite puppet is between blade or Pinhead
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:28 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Same as ever I'd say but he rather not spending all his time "discussing a fifteen-year-old Japanime" is not in his character.

It's about ten different things that's more or less congealed into a giant ball of resentment. I do miss using him as my homoerotic whipping boy in public, but he feels like he's finally accomplishing something with his poetry, so I guess he's happy and on the path to self-fulfillment.

I was shocked to discover that he didn't read Oedipus until last month and up to this point, though all the mother fucking was a conscious decision. Oe vey.

Xard wrote:It's not that I couldn't go with it, I'm just saying that is the latest point after which film stops utterly working without turning off one's more critical faculties. Or as I said in previous post:, you stop thinking at that point if you don't want to be thrown out from the film.

So yes, it's utter nonsense writing but something I can let slide.

I wonder how you'll react to Bride of Re-Animator, then. I saw it last night. (OZ PAY ATTENTION TO THIS TINY FACTOID IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS POST! It must suck for you having to read every post in this thread, especially with how dull it's been lately.)

It goes out of it's way to really establish what the short story did, but was glossed over in the original film, and that's that each human body part apparently has a separate consciousness unto itself. At one point, West surgically fuses five fingers and an eyeball, then reanimates it and it's run around as a moribund claymation spider. He later sews together an arm and a leg, and gets kicked and strangled. In other words, it's takes the absurd premise to a whole new level. It's also just as hilarious as the original, even if it can't commit to the melodrama that it tries to aspire to.

I'll spoiler the rest of my impressions in case you ever do get around to watching it.

Bride of Re-Animator  SPOILER: Show
I'm mostly disappointed with how uneven it feels. They bring back Dr. Hill, who just isn't as interesting this time around, and everything he does feels out of place. Yes, sewing bat wings to his severed head and having him fly around on them is damn ridiculous, but his attempt to enact revenge on West adds nothing to the film except to bring back a popular character and in fact detracts from it. The film tries to deal with Dan Cain's grief over losing his girlfriend Meg, even going so far as to project his feelings onto a terminal patient. In the end, her head is used along with Meg's preserved heart to create a female Frankenstein's monster so Dan can live under the illusion that Meg is alive in some way. Further complicating things is a new lady friend, an Italian reporter named Francesca he met while volunteering as a doctor in a civil war in Peru. The climactic scene where the bride finally comes to life could have been both genuinely moving, but Dan's ultimate rejection of the bride in favor of his living girl is a complete 180 from his previous, obsessed and almost hypnotized state, and ultimately feels rushed and weightless.

Especially since while this is going on, their lab is being attacked by zombies under Dr. Hill's control, so the danger is negated, because it practically stops so the emotional climax can happen. If they were going to have these threads intersect like this they should have actually let them... intersect. Dr. Hill is never in the same room as the Bride, who if you recall, has Meg's heart, and Dr. Hill was in obsessive stalkery love with her. They could have done something really interesting with that, but they were content to have him fly around and bark cheesy dialogue. They either should have cut Hill out all together and focused on the cat and mouse game between the detective and West as they create the bride, or have actually had him have a meaningful presence in the bride plot, instead of neglecting him to a pointless b-plot. On the plus side, Jeffry Combs is still great as West, especially in the scenes where he uses Dan's broken heart to manipulate him into following his blind ambition. I also dug how the story used more material from the Reanimator story, even if things turned out completely differently.

It was still really good campy shlock, but I feel so much more could have done with it and that it's ultimately a missed opportunity.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:06 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^ Thanks for writing about this movie which I did not know. I went to check about this and found a bunch of Chinese/Taiwanese movie review sites praising the powerful subtlety of this movie and its presentation style. The trailer also looks promising. It will be a movie I am adding to my to-watch list !!

It looked very promising on a superficial level to me, too. I will say that the cinematography and acting are both superb, but overall, I was very disappointed with the film. The symbolism is all too easy to crack through, and once you've done so, what you have is an insubstantial viewing experience. The movie was trying to say a lot more than it actually did, IMO.

I'm trying to watch more Non-HouTsaiYang Taiwanese cinema. It seems like so many people try to simplify Taiwan to those three guys, who really only represent a fraction of the nation's cinematic output. I liked Au Revoir, Taipei, which was a nice little lightweight mainstream Rom Com Caper, and Parking, which was an interesting little art film that fell short of its ambitions but was still very satisfying overall. I'm looking forward to watching Cape No. 7, the big commercial breakthrough in local cinema from a few years back, Formosa Mambo, and You Are The Apple of My Eye (this year's big blockbuster hit, directed by one of Taiwan's most popular authors) as soon as possible.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 am

^ What is a bit surprisingly is that the blogs in Chinese seem overwhelmingly in favor of this film. So it got me really curious as to how special or different it is compared to other arthouse movies from Taiwan for example.

View Original PostXard wrote:Well reading my big quote would explain that:

Well actually I read that quote but still I could not figure out why Geoffrey Ho is totally unknown in Hong Kong, as cheap movies and shitty tastes are something HK movie industry is pretty good at (with the corresponding audience).

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Saw The King's Speech.
Kind of meh at times(not really, I just couldn't understand a word at times because I saw this in english class with a kind of dejected audience and on a shitty TV with worn speakers on top of it all), but I am impressed.

Ahh....The Received Pronunication... Something I kind of miss from my days living in England.... Films like this (and the Queen) satisfied this yearning inside me :wink:
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:19 am

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:I have no plans to watch sucker punch ever. It just looked too stupid to me. When I saw the trailer for it I face palmed out of how stupid it looked to me

Madoka is better than Sucker Punch.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:27 am

^ How dare you put the two side by side??? LOL
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Just saw Wings of Honneamise.
Since this was made in 1987, I do not have to tell you how overdone everything felt to me.
:lol:
Some elements of the film felt kind of dragged out and unnecessary(Assassin, etc.), but all in all, I enjoyed it very much.

And those Opening and Ending credits are awesome.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:26 pm

Watched lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring. Of the three movies it is my least favourite but it is still a very good movie
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Well actually I read that quote but still I could not figure out why Geoffrey Ho is totally unknown in Hong Kong, as cheap movies and shitty tastes are something HK movie industry is pretty good at (with the corresponding audience).

If its any consolation, even I don't know Geoffrey Ho, and I'm like the biggest HK film geek here. Also, there's no page for him on LoveHKFilm.com, which is the best English-language online resource for all things Hong Kong film related, IMO.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Saintly, but with a price. B(

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:02 am

Boondock Saints, I like the film, but I suddenly remembered why I didn't want to see it again.

SPOILER: Show
Willem Dafoe, in drag, BEGGING for it... Dear God, WHY WON'T PORN MAKE IT GO AWAY?!?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:26 pm

A friend of mine loaned me Malick's Tree of Life this week, so I finally got around to watching it. It was underwhelming, but OK. It did manage to get me to write my first review in awhile, though:
Submitted to Forced Perspective.

If anyone is willing to help me out, I'd like to add screen caps but my computer doesn't have a BD drive in it. Wordy walls of text are kind of unfriendly without Brad Pitt's dashingly gloomy face to look at.

Return to “Film and Video”