EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:06 am

View Original PostXard wrote:I was going to ask about that...wikipedia's "reception" section at least seems to give positive accounts of the film but :chinscratch:
"Not nearly as good as the first one" is how I'd describe it, but I only saw it once and can't remember anything about it except for the opening sequence. Unlike 28 Days Later, which I liked enough to see at least twice in the past several years, 28 Weeks struck me more as a bland action movie that had little of memorable value to it.

I thought there was talk of a third one, but I don't know what happened to that. Maybe 28 Weeks' crumminess put them off.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:40 am

^ "28 Months Later" has been in development hell for some time. It has been brought back up now and then, but there has been no concrete development ever since it was announced.

Edward Yang's Yi yi: This is still my favorite film of all time - excluding EoE. It really doesn't get any better than this.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Mutant Species and it was without a doubt one of the best movies I've ever seen. Totally worth the watch and fantastic. With that said I now have a top 200 favorite movies list.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I was going to ask about that...wikipedia's "reception" section at least seems to give positive accounts of the film but :chinscratch:
Wikipedia doesn't know what it's talking about. The first half of the movie was alright, but then it turned into crap with one generic action scene after another. Which is no surprise considering the director only ever worked on commercials before making this movie.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:35 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Whatever you do, don't watch 28 Weeks Later. It's fucking terrible.

I liked it, even though it is nowhere near as good as 28 Days Later.

Past few days I've watched a few things (in order);
American Pie - Had to watch this one for studies. Was pretty bad, but not as horribly terrible as I had expected. Still bad though.
The Proposition (2005) - Really cool Australian western, with apparently really accurate period portrayal of aboriginal culture. Had to watch this to cleanse my palate after American Pie. Also Nick Cave, so instantly awesome.
The Thing (2011) - Took a lot of things from the original, but managed to come up with it's own ideas too which I thought was really cool. I thought the CG was fine, and most of the creatures and the people changing was pretty cool. The spaceship was kinda lame, and the ending wasn't as solid as the original, but the way they tie it in to the original with the helicopter dog chase is pretty well done. Overall an enjoyable film.
The Thing (1984) - Watched this immediately after getting back from the cinema, and it was great. It was nice watching them back to back and seeing all the homages to the original that the prequel put in, not to mention that accuracy of the set designs between the films. This is still the better film though, and the special effects still look amazing, especially with the knowledge that there was no CGI.
Submarine (2010) - Awesome film. Really funny, really well directed. Music from the lead singer of the Arctic Monkeys was really cool. Never would have thought Ayoade could produce something like this.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Was forced to watch this. It was the second time I'd seen it, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than what I remember. Even though I think Brad and Janet are stupid as balls, it's still a funny movie.
Last edited by Fazmotron on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:I liked it, even though it is nowhere near as good as 28 Days Later.
What exactly did you like about it? I found it to be more of an insult to the original then anything.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 pm

I dunno exactly. I suppose it is kinda brainless, but I did like the sniper bits, and some of the characters, plus the kids weren't annoying little shits which is something apparently hard to accomplish in films, atleast the ones I've seen. I really liked the first scene too. I guess I just really liked the rage virus so much that I was willing to forgive any film that continued that concept.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:51 am

Last edited by toe mash on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:00 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:The Thing (2011) - Took a lot of things from the original, but managed to come up with it's own ideas too which I thought was really cool.

Like what? I didn't hate the film, but I found it uninspired on pretty much all accounts.

Fazmotron wrote:I thought the CG was fine, and most of the creatures and the people changing was pretty cool.

Now I'm wondering if we saw the same movie. The CGI was awful. The Thing looked like a video game character most of the time.

Fazmotron wrote:The spaceship was kinda lame, and the ending wasn't as solid as the original, but the way they tie it in to the original with the helicopter dog chase is pretty well done.

No wait, that sounds like the same movie all right.

Fazmotron wrote:The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Was forced to watch this. It was the second time I'd seen it, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than what I remember. Even though I think Brad and Janet are stupid as balls, it's still a funny movie.

Oh shit. I probably watched that about four times this year. For some reason, I didn't even think of mentioning it. Or did I?

Oz, did I mention it?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 am

^ Nope, it hasn't been mentioned in this thread before. Should I add those 4 times?
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 am

Yes, kindly do that, please.

Before I forget, I should also mention that I watched House III: The Horror Show, House 4 and The Excorcist II on Gasmask's stream. Oh, these lonely October weekends, filled with nothing but low-grade schlock. My opinions on them can be summed up as boring, hilariously campy nonsense and boring, respectively.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:19 am

Just saw Crazy, Stupid, Love tonight cause there was nothing else on. It wasn't half bad, it was funny enough and had a few good plot twists that kept the movie going.

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Like what? I didn't hate the film, but I found it uninspired on pretty much all accounts.

Just the Thing detection method they came up with, I thought that was kinda cool, not as effective as what Kurt Russell came up with, but still good enough. Maybe I was just surprised/happy that they didn't copy the original note for note or something like that.

Also, watching the two movies back to make made me notice that the Norwegians whenever they burnt something inside they just let it keep going and burn the rest of the building down, whereas the Americans actually put out their indoor fires pretty quickly.

Now I'm wondering if we saw the same movie. The CGI was awful. The Thing looked like a video game character most of the time.

I tend not to notice bad CGI in films that much any more, unless they are appallingly bad or stand out too greatly. I could tell generally when CG was used, but I thought the face merging and the first head split in the helicopter were really cool.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Yoshihiro Nishimura, Noboru Iguchi and Tak Sakaguchi's Mutant Girls Squad: :hitthetable: :hitthetable: :hitthetable:

This is as great as Japanese trash cinema will ever be. A poignant portrayal of a struggle between humans and mutants and the half-human, half-mutant lead character. It just happens to be filled with chainsaws coming out of girls' asses, boob swords, titty monsters and LOTS of splatter. There's even a deep Evangelion-esque scene in the mix along with tons of bizarre action, but it's great fun nevertheless. The soundtrack could have been better since I got sick of hearing the same theme tune for action sequences before the midpoint of the film. The special effects were quite ... amazing, if that's what you can call them. Some of the action sequences had an interesting choreography - and I would give this film the award for the "Most Beautifully Executed Death Scene" which involved all sorts of screwed up effects. And the climactic fight sequence is a must-see for film buffs. Too bad the whole thing is an uneven ride thanks to the three trash maestros fooling around without co-operation.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Horror of Dracula. My first Hammer Dracula movie and I'm a bit mixed. Overall it was great, but the pacing was just a tad slow and Dracula was quite under used.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 am

Rat Man, a terribad exploitation b-film which was hysterically funny unintentionally

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Rat Man, a terribad exploitation b-film which was hysterically funny unintentionally

Shit, I remember Ratbastard/Nodsri back in those Darkscribes days. :rofl:

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am

I forgot that I watched The Frighteners on blu-ray last weekend too.

I keep forgetting how good that movie is.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:14 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Shit, I remember Ratbastard/Nodsri back in those Darkscribes days. :rofl:

I gotta give Ratman some props for having one of the best tag lines ever

HE'S THE CRITTER FROM THE SHITTER

:rofl:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Masato Harada's Bounce Ko Gals: Man, this is one enigmatic film. With "enigmatic" I don't mean that it has a weird narrative or a puzzling premise, but rather that thematically it's all over the place. It doesn't have a single thing that would bring the entire film together. It starts out as a gloomy film about enjo kosai and even though it remains on the same subject, it doesn't deliver a moral or any big point about the society. At first it attacks the audience with straightforward rants about reckless girls who sell themselves and the nasty old men who are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money to get the said young girls. It provides a scarily realistic look into the types of people involved in enjo kosai, how they act and what they are thinking. But at some point it sort of leaves that open and moves forward to other things: a runaway girl trying to get to New York, a cold-blooded gangster running a hostess bar, corrupt authorities, weird fetishes and it ends just like a feel-good story that doesn't give a damn about what the girls did to get to that point. They are treated bad, but in the end everything is forgiven. I guess the point is that these girls are just like everyone else emotionally, but it's quite jarring to see the script accepting what they did throughout the film - the same goes for some of the other characters too. In short, it's complex and executed with brilliance (most of the time), but it's quite carefree and confusing thematically.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:HE'S THE CRITTER FROM THE SHITTER

:rofl:

I was gonna comment on that, that's fucking hilarious lols

Return to “Film and Video”