Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Saw From Up on Poppy Hill and enjoyed. High school kids in the early '60s trying to save the clubhouse from being torn down and two fated characters brought together. A big bonus is that the original version of Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto is an insert song!

Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns
Watched these 2 back to back since they're related. I enjoyed Whisper much more. TCR is decent but Haru is one of the weakest heroines in a Ghibli film I've seen so far.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:08 am

Watched When Marnie Was There last week. It was a really nice film. I think it was better - I certainly enjoyed it more - than Ghibli's last Yonebayashi-directed, English novel-adapted work. I especially found Anna an interesting protagonist, more so than the average "Ghibli girl" but not as much as, say, The Wind Rises's Jiro or Howl's Moving Castle's Sophie. The resetting of the novel in Japan gave the "twist" to the novel regarding Marnie's identity a neat extra layer, though I do wonder what people who
SPOILER: Show
disliked the incest angle
in From up on Poppy Hill will think of it.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:24 pm

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:46 pm

This is the end. . .Hold your breath and count to ten.

I think I just died a little inside. . .

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:30 pm

It feels like someone just punched me in the gut.

Goddamn.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:09 pm

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 pm

We've known this was coming for over a year now, so it's no real surprise.

Hayao and Takahata are old and retiring. Goro doesn't really want to work in animation. Yonebayashi's stuff hasn't been as successful as needed. The way the studio is set up they need strong directors, and they don't have any at this point. They can't do their Ghibli thing until they figure that issue out. That's why they're putting their Ghibli thing on ice, to see if they actually can figure this out.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:42 pm

It was inevitable with Miyazaki retiring. Better for the studio to leave on a high note than go into a long slide into failure and mediocrity. Ghibli alumni will find their place elsewhere in the anime industry for years to come, and there's no doubt about that.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:52 pm

But what will this mean for Nausicaa II? Will Khara just do it themsleves, or will it be a joint venture kind of thing?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 pm

The worst part is that, with Ghibli gone, there's pretty much nothing enjoyable left in the anime film industry. Except the fourth Eva movie, whenever it happens.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:07 pm

As much as I'd love Anno and khara doing more Nausicaa, is it really feasible to fit the rest of the manga into only one movie? Does khara even want to get into working on yet another multi-film project after finishing their first, 8+ years one?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Pointy chins and CG God Warriors? No thanks

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Maybe we got a bad translation?

- Suicidahlia

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:14 pm

:facepalm: More likely.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:43 pm

More confirmation on NOT closing down Ghibli in the immediate future. Come to think of it, John Lasseter would probably have been the first non-Japanese person to know about it if they were closing. Disney might even respond to it in some way. I know PIXAR at least would have.

Now we know not to read the fan-subs when it comes to big business announcements from foreign companies, don’t we. ;)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:56 pm

The question that needs to be asked now is what are the good options for Ghibli. The main problem is that all the studio's films appear to be more creator-driven than production-driven, especially in the case of Miyazaki's films. As TM mentioned earlier, there are now no more strong directors as Miyazaki is retired and it's very unlikely that Takahata will start a new project in the next year or two. If they want to stay in production, they best thing I can think of is that they return to the way they made movies from the time of the studio's founding until the early 90s, where they hired the animators they needed from project to project. I have no clue what other options they have.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:07 am

Hiromasa Yonebayashi is proving to be a strong director for Ghibli, but he hasn’t reached household name status like Miyazaki or Takahata have just yet. If they cultivate/guide that talent more, increasing his notoriety, he could be a key player along with Takahata in keeping good quality Ghibli films in production.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:17 am

. . .several billion otaku simultaneously sigh in relief.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 am

Another thing worth mentioning is that in ~4 days some special magazine issue will come out that will be edited by Toshio Suzuki and have interviews with Hideaki and Moyoko about Hayao Miyazaki, interview with Goro about his father and the studio, and most interestingly an interview with DWANGO's Nobuo Kawakami.

Keep in mind Kawakami is on khara's board of directors.

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3196.html

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 am

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Anime and Manga”