Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Tue May 08, 2007 1:47 pm

I think you read a little too much into my metaphor. Can't blame you though, it was pretty enthralling, if I do say so myself!

(Pats self on back)
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue May 08, 2007 3:53 pm

BrikHaus wrote:She acts like a human because she used to be a human. Her body is full prosthetic, but her mind is that of a real person. Watch the series. It blows that piece of shit movie away.

I have the movie and have seen it in both dubs and subs, and while i really liked the style and the visuals, the rest of it wasn't that great. I didn't like either version(dubs and subs) of the acting or the script.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Bean Bandit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Tue May 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Fantastic.

Other than Metalocalypse, AS has majorly been becoming a pain in the ass. I hear they're running Blood+, but I haven't watched it. Only seen a couple eps of Trinity Blood. I'm tired of Morel Orel ads every five-seconds...
What do you like to play? ...Pokemon! Pokemon?

Ya see, the kids, they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage. Ya see?

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Adult Swim isn't showing anime anymore? And they're still showing 12 oz. Mouse? :evil:
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue May 22, 2007 10:26 pm

ferrarimanf355 wrote:Adult Swim isn't showing anime anymore? <snip>
Only on Saturday nights. :( Really, really sucks for me. I can only afford basic cable right now so I cannot get any premium/"on demand"/satellite channels/shows and see the Anime Channel or the FUNimation Channel. However, does anybody here think those or any other channels that show anime any good? [SARCASM/DISCLAIMER/WARNING] What I really mean to say is are they worth pirating over?? :lol:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:07 am

OK folks, pardon the necromancy here (and technically double posting in this thread), but I thought I should remind you all to set your Tivo, or at least be aware, that starting this evening at 11PM ET/PT and 10PM CT is "Ani-Monday", a new anime programming block on the Sci-Fi Channel.

For tonight, the North American television premiere of Ghost in the Shell SAC: Solid State Society, which will be released on DVD on June 2 in the UK and on July 3 in the US.

Next week, starting June 18, the series' TOKKO and Noein as well as Street Fighter II V will begin running. In the coming weeks and months, other films and series like Ninja Scroll, Blood: The Last Vampire, Read or Die and Blackjack will also be shown.

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:09 am

Adult swim reall let GiTS:SSS get away? How
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:30 pm

slothen wrote:
I have the movie and have seen it in both dubs and subs, and while i really liked the style and the visuals, the rest of it wasn't that great. I didn't like either version(dubs and subs) of the acting or the script.

You can replicate the entire movie just by screeching at the top of you lungs and looking sideways while walking, then getting punched in the balls. The GitS movie is pretentious, and pretty shallow at best. The second movie is just as ad, but I can actually forgive that because of the fucking beautiful animation.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:41 pm

Executor wrote:You can replicate the entire movie just by screeching at the top of you lungs and looking sideways while walking, then getting punched in the balls. The GitS movie is pretentious, and pretty shallow at best. The second movie is just as bad, but I can actually forgive that because of the fucking beautiful animation.
QFT

And frankly, that kind of sums up the state of anime right now, IMO.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:44 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:

Ironic considering the movie came out over 10 years ago.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:54 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:QFT

Actually, GitS was released in 1996-97, actually. Anyways, I do agree that it was an overated, mediocre movie. It's not the worst I've ever sseen, but lord knows it's the opposite of a good movie.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:56 pm

Executor wrote:You can replicate the entire movie just by screeching at the top of you lungs and looking sideways while walking, then getting punched in the balls. The GitS movie is pretentious, and pretty shallow at best. The second movie is just as ad, but I can actually forgive that because of the fucking beautiful animation.

I don't see how the original GitS movie is any more pretentious than SE Lain or the series. I prefer it over the newer movie. It's been about 10 years since I've seen it but I didn't think the animation was any worse than Innocence, which had a style that I wasn't into at all: simple cell shaded characters against detailed backgrounds. And your description of replicating that movie is as non-sequitor as you can get, if anything, that's a good description for playing the new Ninja Gaiden game.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:05 pm

Ornette wrote:I don't see how the original GitS movie is any more pretentious than SE Lain or the series. I prefer it over the newer movie. It's been about 10 years since I've seen it but I didn't think the animation was any worse than Innocence, which had a style that I wasn't into at all: simple cell shaded characters against detailed backgrounds. And your description of replicating that movie is as non-sequitor as you can get, if anything, that's a good description for playing the new Ninja Gaiden game.

Never saw SE Lain, so I can't comment on that show. The new Ninja Gaiden game, eh, I can forgive, because despite how hard it is, it's a fairly fun game, although the storyline sucks out loud.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:18 pm

Executor wrote:Never saw SE Lain, so I can't comment on that show. The new Ninja Gaiden game, eh, I can forgive, because despite how hard it is, it's a fairly fun game, although the storyline sucks out loud.

But you HAVE seen the GitS series and Innocence, right? Because I was neither talking about SE Lain nor the new game, but your comments (see, this is called discussion). I'll outline them again, firstly your non-sequitor description of the original movie, secondly with it somehow being pretentious, and lastly with the animation and style of the second movie.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:23 pm

Heh, I *just* noticed this post today on June 11th in time to see the GITS movie. Wow.

Sci-fi's standards are actually a bit stricter than AS's, so I'm worried that it might cut out some of the more violent scenes and replace all the harsher swear words with "frak". Though that might be better than the loud bleeps that AS uses.

As for AS "cheating on" anime, etc.... Adult Swim is not part of Cartoon Network, nor has it been for quite a while. It is a separate station showing on the same channel. While I prefer that they keep live action shows to a minimum, I like Saul of the Mole Men and occasionally find Tim & Eric pretty funny.

One of the main reasons Adult Swim was started was so they could show more mature anime, and they've come a long way in that regard. And one of the people (I can't remember who, all I remember is that it was a woman) stated that they're trying to push their comedy as close to the edge as they can so that they can do the same with anime. I can understand being upset that Adult Swim isn't showing more anime, but it's what most people (the people outside the anime community) watch AS for.

And, erm... as for Sci-Fi Channel showing EoE... Adult Swim would probably be able to show it if they muted the swearing and cut out the SFAiB scene and the later reference to it (and digitally erased Rei's nipples). Sci-Fi, however, would never be able to show it because of how extremely violent it is. The only basic cable network that I can currently think of that would allow EoE uncut is Comedy Central in its Secret Stash block, but, you know... EoE isn't a comedy (to most people).
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:50 pm

@Ornette:Perhaps we have different pretntion levels. Very well, I conceed.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:04 pm

NAveryW wrote: EoE isn't a comedy (to most people).
Meh, me and most of my friends laughed when we saw it. Although that could be due in part to our own commentaries and added lines.

But I'm glad I saw this thread, I was under the impression that it started next Monday, not this evening.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Executor wrote:@Ornette:Perhaps we have different pretntion levels. Very well, I conceed.

Of course they're different, you think the original GitS movie is pretentious, I don't think it is. But I wondered how you can think it's pretentious and Innocence isn't, seeing as the director's the same, the character designer's the same, and they're both based off of the same manga, only there's 9 years separating the 2.

NAveryW wrote:And, erm... as for Sci-Fi Channel showing EoE... Adult Swim would probably be able to show it if they muted the swearing and cut out the SFAiB scene and the later reference to it (and digitally erased Rei's nipples). Sci-Fi, however, would never be able to show it because of how extremely violent it is. The only basic cable network that I can currently think of that would allow EoE uncut is Comedy Central in its Secret Stash block, but, you know... EoE isn't a comedy (to most people).

EoE was aired on Encore a few years ago, I happened to be somewhere with cable at the time and was surprised to see it in the cable guide. AFAIK they didn't censor anything. Is Encore a cable network? (I'm a cable n00b).

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:12 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:
Meh, me and most of my friends laughed when we saw it. Although that could be due in part to our own commentaries and added lines.

But I'm glad I saw this thread, I was under the impression that it started next Monday, not this evening.

No, I just check my satillite. It's starting this eveening with, guess what...

Ghost In the Shell: Solid State Socites

ETA: It's starting after the usuall Season 4 Enterprise marathons on my satillite.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Executor wrote:
CorporalChaos wrote:

No, I just check my satillite. It's starting this eveening with, guess what...

Ghost In the Shell: Solid State Socites

ETA: It's starting after the usuall Season 4 Enterprise marathons on my satillite.
I could check my satellite too, but I really don't watch TV that much anymore.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Anime and Manga”