Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:39 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:^
This sums up my feelings on it too. The reason for that seems to be rather simple - the head-scriptwritress jumped ship for reasons unknown. The Mech-Episode is the first one not concocted by her. It's a bummer, because this show started off phenomenally.

I wasn't aware of that, I guess it's another one of those 'what could have been' moments. I did think that the show went on a sudden swerve in tone and writing around episode 8, but wasn't sure why.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I wasn't aware of that, I guess it's another one of those 'what could have been' moments. I did think that the show went on a sudden swerve in tone and writing around episode 8, but wasn't sure why.

I'm kind of mixed here; on the one hand I definitely recognize the shift people are talking about, but on the other I don't feel like the last few episodes were asspulls at all -- it's like this was where the story was always meant to go, but not necessarily how it was supposed to get there. I am admittedly curious about what happened with the scriptwriter, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Flip Flappers was really good throughout, and vastly exceeded my expectations going into it. The ending indeed wasn't as perfect as it could've been, but the show still accomplished a ton and tackled its themes well while being engaging and stylish as heck. The presentation and consistent use of subtext felt very much in the style of Penguindrum, and even though it didn't quite manage to live up to its ancestry there, watching it was a great experience and I'm always glad to see anime creators taking chances on interesting projects like that.

Also, from what I understand, the story was already laid out by the head writer before she left the project, so even the episodes she didn't personally write every word of are still her story.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Also, from what I understand, the story was already laid out by the head writer before she left the project, so even the episodes she didn't personally write every word of are still her story.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that fits with what we saw.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Started Konosuba 2.
Rewatched the first season beforehand, which was very easy to do; besides being only 10 episodes long- it was every bit as entertaining as the first viewing.
I’m very happy to see that they kept the distinctively ugly-but-not-hideous art style going for season two.
Reading some of the comments on Crunchy is quite funny; seems a lot of people think the art style somehow looks worse.

Looks fabulous to me.

Interviews With Monster Girls
One ep in. It has my interest. Is nobody going to comment on that uniform design? It’s stunning.

Fuuka
This’ll be the second show I watch based on a comic I read beforehand, the first being Yamada-Kun and the 7 Witches- which was about as forgettable as… what was it called?…
Enjoying it so far. I guess I’m just happy to hear the characters voiced and relive the humble beginnings of the story, before the truck came in. Speaking of- how will this adaptation end?
Do they really have the guts to remain faithful to that part?

Seiren
Very reminiscent of Amagami, which was a guilty pleasure.
First 3 eps have been bad; the current story isn’t engaging and the characters are uninteresting and poorly written. Will check back with ep5, when presumably a new arc will begin.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
About 7:3 on the Annoying/Amusing scale. Will give it one more episode.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Caught up on the first three episodes of Masamune-kun's Revenge. While the majority of the main characters are deplorable in their own way, that ain't stopping me from watching their possible evolutions into better souls in the long run.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Third episode of Little Witch Academia (2017) was another charming blast of fun.

Once again, I must reiterate that I'm loving that Yo Yoshinari & Trigger are focused (for now) on the show being family friendly. No disturbingly intricately animated fetish shots of the clearly underage witches putting an overly phallic broom between fleshy underage thighs. Anime's I love have those blemish beats/shots and they really are a detriment to the work as a whole. I really hope Trigger won't betray that purism as the story proceeds throughout the remaining 20+ episodes. I assume Hiroyuki Imaishii might have a hand in an episode at some point (not a fact, just a guess) & while I adore his work I do have my fingers crossed that he keeps the pervier aspects of his directorial style on the bench.

Pure joy.

And while best girl Amanda O'Neill doesn't get to do too much in Episode 3 she's officially reintroduced.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Started Konosuba 2.
Rewatched the first season beforehand, which was very easy to do; besides being only 10 episodes long- it was every bit as entertaining as the first viewing.
I’m very happy to see that they kept the distinctively ugly-but-not-hideous art style going for season two.
Reading some of the comments on Crunchy is quite funny; seems a lot of people think the art style somehow looks worse.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why people think it looks worse. Part of the complaint seems to be that the characters take on a more cartoony style during some comedic moments, which wasn't used much in the first season, but that seems to be more of a stylistic choice rather than a drop in quality. In any case, as a comedy series I wasn't expecting them to pull some ufotable-level graphics on us.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Watched the movie with my dad and I think I succeeded in converting him to anime because he told me by the end that he loved it. Even during the viewing, he was in as much awe as I was about the animation quality for it's time as well as the love triangle.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:06 pm

The new little witch academia anime is crazy good. This is turning out like when each of the oavs came out and I watched each of them like 10 times except I've been doing that with the episodes. Even though it's the beginning of the year and only four episodes are out I'll be pretty surprised if I end up liking another 2017 anime more then this.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:24 am

Masamune-kun's Revenge episode 4 takes proper time to flesh out Aki's reasoning behind being her Cruel Princess persona, which will most likely be put to the test with the introduction of OP/ED girl who takes a shine to Christianity which is rare as far as I know of Japan and it's relationship with religion.

Episode 15 of Aquarion was thought to be one of the least liked due to Pierre's presence taking center stage but it managed to make his character sympathetic with a case of lost love.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:09 am

Kimi No Na Wa: Talk about unexpected success. This movie blew up in Japan and other parts of Asia and has basically garanteed Makoto Shinkai the spot as one of the Directors to look out for in the next few years. But is the movie really that good? Heh...

First things first, the movie looks and sounds great. The animation, compared to Shinkais previous movies has noticeably improved, something that, if the internet doesn't deceive me, comes from the large number of top animators present. Some of the sequences, especially towards the end of the movie, were spectacular.

The story is typical Shinkai: love and distance. Prepare for tons of dramatic moments towards the end and maybe a tear or two,if you feel inclined in that direction. If you like his previous work you'll like this one. If not, it isn't this movie that's going to change your mind.

In conclusion, a good movie, but perhaps one that foretells the same stories getting tired soon. Still, that moment clearly hasn't arrived yet, and Shinkai has plenty of the time to change his bag of tricks(although I get the feeling he won't).

Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato: The conclusion of the Yamato franchise, or it would have been, had they not decided to make Yamato 2, 3 and another movie soon after. That said, some fans do consider this movie the true end for the series, and I can see why.

First off, the movie looks great, you aren't going to find many better looking anime from that period, that's certain. And it isn't just a good looking movie, the battle choreography is probably the best in the series, which is high praise. For those that have watched the original series, you know there are some stellar actions scenes there, so this movie surpassing that is a great feat.

The soundtrack is superb as well. The music used in the original series was good, the OP and a couple of other tracks sticking out in my memory, but the movie elevates the soundtrack to a new level. I have no words to describe it, other than the tracks fitting the action and drama perfectly.

The story is simple, a new threat appears, and only Yamato can stop it. Obviously, there a couple of twists along the way and old faces reappearing unexpectedly, but aside from the ending, the story goes along in a straightforward way.

But that ending, damn.

SPOILER: Show
Having nearly the entire Yamato crew perish in one of the most intense battles ever is insane. The final battle by itself is already superb, but the constant death adds this layer of desperation that elevates the conflict. I must admit that the final sacrifice Kodai makes to save the universe is fantastic and I can't understand why, back in the day the movie was released, they compared this sacrifice to the Kamikaze. The situation is vastly different!

Amazing movie, I heartily recommend it. Hopefully 2202 is a worthy remake!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Apparently- 48 hours lasts four days according to Crunchyroll. I’m not complaining.

Really enjoying Interviews With Monster Girls so far. Just hoping those innocent, school-girl crushes don’t go any further than that…

Robersora convinced me to give Keijo!x8 a chance. Turns out the show is quite entertaining indeed.
Some of the puns were fantastic, “shoryu-cans” being my personal favourite.
Not exactly a match for Battle Athletes, but a fun and compact one-cour sports show.

Konosuba2 ep4. Oh Darkness, you were missed. Can’t remember the last time I laughed so frequently, felt like I was watching 20 minutes of (good) stand-up.

Fuuka ep6. Oh Lordy…
This has to be a sick in-joke.

First episode to deviate a bit from the comic; expanding Koyuki’s backstory was fine, but filling the last 6 minutes with bathing scenes seemed desperate.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:33 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:First episode to deviate a bit from the comic; expanding Koyuki’s backstory was fine, but filling the last 6 minutes with bathing scenes seemed desperate.

As long as they keep deviating from the manga I'll take it.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Digging the ever changing dynamic of the main relationship in Masamune-kun's Revenge episode 5 as well as the Christian new girl who as well as Yoshino has a hidden motive behind meeting the MC.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:52 am

I finally got my hands on MACROSS 7.

I'll be posting my full thoughts on it once I've watched the whole thing. But just judging from the first five or so episodes. . . Why did this series get all the hate it did? Why did Xard (RIP) go on a tangent about how this 'raped' macross?

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:47 am

Gabriel DropOut – Two eps in. Cute girls doing un-cute things. We have two Angels: one lazy and unmotivated, the other a sadist; and two Demons: one nice, the other hilariously inept.
Amusing so far. I like the idea of angels and demons not acting the way clichés dictate they do.

Fuuka ep 8 – Story deviation continues! Is that a TV original ending on the horizon?
There was no way the festival performance would ever sound as good as the comic pretended it did; it was rather cringe worthy.

Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid – Wasn’t impressed with the first episode, but the show’s characters and humour has grown on me. Some of the animation can be nice and liquid too, the brief rough housing scene in ep 2 being the highlight.

Interviews with Monster girls ep 7 – While I wouldn’t call this a bad episode per se, it is the first to leave me unsatisfied. That was a very short 20 minutes. Too short.
The promise of the show’s title has effectively been fulfilled (the monster girls have all been interviewed now), so what more can be expected of the next 5 episodes exactly?

Masamune-kun’s Revenge – This is an odd one. The characters are all unlikeable by design, so I don’t like any of them. Well done?
<shrugs shoulders> I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone, but the show is harmless enough background noise during exercises, so I’m still watching it casually.
Who knows- maybe we’ll get a School Days tier ending that’ll justify its existence, but I’m not counting on it.

What’s up with those stupid, white brow-things on Koiwai’s forehead? And those green eye highlights annoy me.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 am

Little Witch Academia (2017) continues to be wonderful. I am curious to see when/if the show will play around with the other characters a bit more but loving every second to date.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Anyone else watching Kuzu no Honkai? I've never really gotten into "shoujo" stuff before (I guess Ikuhara's stuff is kind of derived from that general aesthetic), but Kuzo no Honkai is something else. The direction is really pleasant, and the characters are fascinating and horrifying because they are "scum," in a way that is uncomfortably real and relatable.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 pm

The first episode really put me off, and I saw no reason to continue. The name says it - it's a scummy story about scummy people, and the first episodes showed no hint of any wrinkle that might make it interesting (unless a bit of fan-service does that for you, I suppose).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”