Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2015 to now

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: Re: Erased

As someone who has read the entire manga, I feel it did several things stronger than the show, including a more convoluted yet believable ending. Show is a definite 10/10 regardless.

SPOILER: Show
Rather than the admittedly goofy rooftop shenanigans of the show finale, there is a it-would-take-a-few-episodes confrontation at a hospital retreat involving Kumi and a sort of scavanger hunt. Yashiro similarly plans to murder Kumi and frame Satoru, but when foiled demands to know how Satoru has done this. Satoru outright confesses he's lived the 5th grade 3 times now and 2005 twice, which he says no one in the world but Yashiro would believe and Yashiro, believing him, does agree. The final confrontation is on a wooden bridge and with fire instead, and Satoru saves Yashiro who then no longer sees a thread hanging from his own head and laughs.

But the biggest thing missing from the entire show finale is the comradre between adult Kenya and Satoru, to the point where it renders Kenya sort of useless to the show ultimately. Everything beforehand built to this, and to them having another staircase discussion about the case, and to Kenya becoming a lawyer investigating Satoru's case and leaving notebooks of his investigation for Satoru to read that help him recover his memories. In all, I feel the manga's more convoluted and longer post-drowning ending is stronger than the show's.

Both have the same fanboy shipper infuriation of Kayo not 'waiting for' Satoru to wake up, which is so stupid and absurd I only mention it for an opportunity to laugh at it. Go back to watching Key shit, immature losers. Of course Kayo would have moved on. Grow up. Also both have him meeting Airi at the end in the snow, though the manga just handles that better too with some inspirational final lines about the future being blank and it being up to us to leave our footprints in the snow, yet more thematic fitting with the rest of the show.

So basically long story short, I think the show needed to be more episodes long and follow the manga ending personally.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 pm

I was happy with the ending of Erased (Boku Machi). Although much abbreviated compared with the rather extended ending of the manga (was that unfinished when the show was being planned, perhaps?), I felt that it still did what was needed and kept the pacing appropriate. In some ways, it was better than the manga even, as the manga went on with the sort of cat-and-mouse games that had been happening before the big event, while the anime went almost straight towards its final resolution in one sweep. I see what you mean about Kenya; but I didn't really find it a problem.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Yeah, I thought it was pretty great overall. I have mixed feelings about the show's central MacGuffin and the whole coma bit, as it comes across as a plot device that sort of petered out rather than as the central mover such a thing somewhat ought to be, but the show's strengths make me more than willing to overlook it and move on. I love the characters, and I love how everyone turned out, and I especially love the fact that Misato became a part of the group. I very much expected her to be unceremoniously forgotten, and in any other show that's exactly what would have happened. Instead we see multiple instances of her mending fences with Satoru and the group and finding her own happiness, and I think that's fantastic. Hooray for supporting characters getting their well-deserved happy endings!

The only thing that would have made it better is a final scene with Satoru and his mom (because let's face it, she is undeniably the best girl of the lot), but I'm well satisfied with what we got.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm happy with the ending of Erased. I didn't like the manga ending at all, so this one was a welcome change, though I admit, it still feels rushed and a bit goofy.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Actually, the moment that really got to me was the OP of episode 11; a very simple change, and completely devastating (and indeed, now I think of it, a direct representation of the English title).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Maybe now that it's over Goatjesus will make some videos about Evangelion again.

He made some very funny/informative videos about Erased on his channel I highly recommend you all check out.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The only thing that would have made it better is a final scene with Satoru and his mom

Yea, halfway through the final episode I found myself wondering, "what the hell happened to his mom?" And then I was like, oh yea, she was the one taking care of him for multiple hours a day for more than a decade. Definitely should have seen her once more, but alas, I still enjoyed the episode and the series.

Justacrazyguy wrote: a bit goofy.

Yea, goofy is the best word to describe it. I do love an anime that gives a solid conclusion though, as opposed to setting up a sequel with one final dramatic shot of some long forgotten enemy. Though I wouldn't mind a second season in which Satoru goes back to 1987 to prevent his school from winning the ice hockey championship to stick it to the guy who beat him in the speed skating race :wink:

I really loved that epilogue though, even if it was a bit sentimental.The whole thing with the essay about watching the final episode of the anime and tying it into his own life and his experiences with people was something I could definitely relate to and was a nice final word on the series as a whole. Reminded me just a bit of old Shinji talking about his memories of hanging out with his buddies in episode 26'.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2015 to now B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:31 am

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt Ep 1 and 2.

Liking what I see thus far. The characters had more depth, and the narrative is less one-sided than I initially thought; "plucky Zeon amputee defeats callous, blood thirsty Federation Pilot".

Characterization is both more indirect, and minimal than I would have figured for a series like this. More is conveyed in small moments and reactions than actual words.

I doubt this *quality* would last through a whole 20-something run, but as a 4 part ova run, it will likely result in this being a decent, tight story.

Japan's Shinto-inspired ethos has produced many "unified whole" stories of protagonists learning to first complete themselves before taking on the threats in the world around them. It's interesting to see that trope subtly subverted here.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 am

Heroic Legend Of Arslan:

This is great, a fantasy version of the crusades. I love the Turkish Arabic inspired aesthetic and architecture, characters and mythology. While I did like Magi well enough, I didn't really feel like it captured the spirit of the middle eastern cultures that inspired it like it is here. This world isn't cartoony, it's harsh, but it's realistic and flawed. Like Game Of Thrones, this seems realistic because this was our world once. Albeit an exaggerated version of it

So far, it is decent and enjoyable, but the series does have it's . . . problems.

The characters are mostly one note, there aren't that many real 'Fantasy' elements to it, at least not so far. But it they are compelling and enjoyable enough that I stayed up to the wee hours of the morning watching the series concerned for their wellbeing and a desire to see them succeed, so it must be doing something right.

Personally I find everything surrounding the main characters more compelling than the characters themselves, the flawed belief systems of both the European inspired nation and Arslans homeland are intriguing, the European nation takes their beliefs too far and are often quite hypocritical, while the Arabic inspired land isn't exactly in the moral right either.

I also appreciate how unlike Fullmetal Alchemist and Magi they keep the out of the blue Chibi transformations to a bare minimum.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2015 to now BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:14 am

Digimon Adventure Tri 2: Ketsui (Ep 5-8)

My Geekout play-by-play  SPOILER: Show
^HI KEN!

I LOVE YOU JOU-SEMPAI !

Ah Matt, Tai's right, you haven't changed... you're still a massive dick.

V

Oh Izzy, HOW CAN YOU ABANDON YOUR POST FOR THIS?!? You can't even see her pantsu like that.

There was a time man, back in DA 1x04? Or even during the last movie? Then, Mimi could do *anything* at you and you could not be paid to give a sh*t! Just where did that autistic stoicism of yours get to? Did you stash it in your Billy-esce blue overalls?

MEGA EVOLUTION WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scanners_head:

Honestly, I really like where they're going with the characterizations, even the Tai crap that I initially called out as OOC, and more Matt's thing. It seems Kari and T.K. won't get much focus here; they're just playing bit roles in the other characters' arcs. But, meh, 8 characters was too much to go around, somebody was going to get the shaft, and it might as well be the youngins considering the rest of the old team got it in 02.

If there's one thing on the character front I would complain about, it's that Tai took too long to expose what exactly was bothering him. I don't mind it bothering him (collateral damage), and I don't mind this dawning on him *suddenly* after years on-again-off-again adventures; just that they hung onto the revelation for an episode longer than they should have. It created one of the few instances where I found myself agreeing with Matt. "Let it out already!"

So, as Mimi confirmed, it seems Ken didn't stop existing in their minds... but it's not clear if that means that they also recall him being an ally. Everything is still pretty ambiguous.

The agent lady also knows who Ken is, and was surprised by his appearance. But it's clear she's not forthcoming about everything she represents:

Finally, I just have to laugh at how many of the changes made to the Adventure premise in Tri, is coming from them simply adopting aspects from Tamers. The only way the "Bureau" could be anymore "Hypno", is if their headquarters was the The Tokyo Government Building. Not that I mind... if anything, I could take this as a sign of the Tri creators acknowledging something that worked.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:57 pm

So the Season 2 kids did die?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:10 pm

I still find it impossible to care about Tri at all.
I feel like this sequel didn't need to happen tbh.

Also they will never do Taiora so adventure is dead to me.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:24 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:So the Season 2 kids did die?

Whatever happened to them must be more than just that, as the Digi destined didn't seem to at anytime miss them or wonder where they were. Yet, they still knew who Ken was when he showed up.

The "bureau" however does know of the other three, and equally knows that they're missing (and still tracks the rest of them in a "Big Brother" fashion.)

It's highly probable that the Digidestined are now fighting either the Wormon and Veemon, or copies of them, as a dark Imperialdramon shows up along with Ken. The Imperialdramon could even enter fighter-mode.
I'll never understand how exactly Palmon didn't just *die* when she was attacked by it (a mega), but, meh.

Also, by popular demand, LEOMON IS HERE Y'ALL!!!! And he actually contributes to the fight, it's f****** awesome.

Also they will never do Taiora so adventure is dead to me.

They're openly pushing the both of them on Sora here (and Mimi on Izzy), but... I've come to terms with the outcome; Matt and Sora understand each other far better, this was evident back in season 1. Even now, Matt has always been a bit more mature than Tai.

Tai right now is where Matt was 6 years ago when he lost his own will to fight. Surprisingly, Matt is not so much sympathetic, as irate, so take "more mature" with a grain of salt.

I feel like this sequel didn't need to happen tbh.

What they've done with just Joe alone, his heart-wrenching isolation in the face of trying to become an adult, while things from childhood still cling to him, sold this entire concept for me.

Mimi equally now has depth that she scarcely had in Adventure.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation

Postby robersora » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Winter 2016 happened and a franchise I dislike hooked me with it’s breathtaking presentation.
The second Episode of Thunderbolt was extremely beautiful and breathtakingly directed. That’s all I have to say, really. Might be the first Gundam I don’t drop - because besides the presentation Gundam does what it does best - bore me to tears.
4/10

A franchise I like offered everything but breathtaking presentation.
Digimon tri continued to look barely functional, but my nostalgia goggles are thick enough, and the writing is rather competent overall, so I don’t mind indulging into it. At least the fight scenes have been handled with care. Something rather peculiar is the rather calm feel this series exudes. I can’t put my finger down on why that is, though.
I can feel that the creators of tri have been huge fans of the series and know exactly how to service the fans. The focus on Mimi and Joey and their problems tied nicely into the story, and the final showdown felt earned.
After this batch of Episodes (no, I won’t call it a movie - a movie operates on another level in terms of animation quality in my head), I’m really sold on this project and I’m really looking forward to the next batch of Episodes. 6/10

The Durarara saga, on the other hand, finally came to a close. And it was pretty entertaining. Yes, it was rough, yes it stumbled pretty hard midway through, but in the end it payed off in a huge anti-climax, converging almost all the story lines into one whole - which is a surprising feat on it’s own. But as this is Durarara, overall not much has changed for the main character Ikebukuro.
Overall, I’m glad, they’ve revived this series, and while I would have loved to see a more high-quality approach, the craziness we got left me feel satisfied. I don’t regret I didn’t jump ship halfway through. This series’ aesthetic, design and soundtrack catered exactly my tastes and the idea of a sprawling city always fascinated me. The end product didn’t change me as a person, nor ended I thinking a lot about this series when it wasn’t on, but this is one of the rare instances, in which I got so invested in the franchise just for indulging purposes, my mind elevated it to a higher level of appreciation it actually deserves.
7/10

Talking about franchises that I love more because of Stockholm Syndrome and catering to my aesthetic needs, than actual impact in my life, Koyomimonogatari finished strong with seemingly rather important final Episodes. Going into the finale, this will be interesting. 5/10

As for other shorts this season, Galko-chan was raunchy and quite amusing with a surprising amount of ♥ sprinkled over it.
In the end it even boasts a cute little message about being friendship and not being ashamed of your own body. Also there’s likable characters which on top of all the good things about this series are not all drawn the same way. The short runtime of the Episodes was the perfect format for this series, I truly was never bored. 6/10
Sushi Police is kind of a mess. I came for the Gorillaz style presentation, and because Perfume was allegedly responsible for the title music… and stayed… because it was short … and kind of quirky … and weird… and I couldn’t sleep. I don’t recommend it, though. It kinda makes fun of national stereotypes. There’s great lines like „he discovered the dark side of sushi“ and „Japanese sushi was a mistake“. And the Statue of Liberty creates Sushilla. Yeah… Quirky! … I guess… I also learned quite a bit about Sushi history. It’s seems rather important that all the other stuff you eat in tandem with eat sanitizes your mouth in some way. Who knew. 2/10
Welp, If you want something short and fun I recommend Galko over the Sushi Police. not that anybody would watch the latter…

If you want something really funny though, the darling of this season might be for you.
It’s rare for me to lol as often as this series made me, since comedy most comedy doesn’t work for me for some reason. Gross, mean-spirited stuff always makes me burst out laughing, though, stuff like Drawn Together. So awful people being awful to each other a.k.a. Konosuba was exactly my jam. But this show had me giggling a lot. And even when the jokes didn’t land, it at least managed to not bore me by staying entertaining. On top of that the show did a great job in incidental world building; I ended up pretty invested in this ridiculous world and I really came to like and root the characters. They are no great people by any means, but they are very charming. The art an animation would be rather serviceable in other series, but the crudeness of the animation actually enhanced the crudeness of the experience for me.
Konosuba might have been the most consistently funny comedy in Anime I have ever seen. If it manages to keep the hilarity high, I’m all for the impending second season. Strong 7 out of 10.

Next up: Grimgar, ERASED, Rakuko Shinjuku
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Winter 2016 happened and a franchise I dislike hooked me with it’s breathtaking presentation.
The second Episode of Thunderbolt was extremely beautiful and breathtakingly directed. That’s all I have to say, really. Might be the first Gundam I don’t drop - because besides the presentation Gundam does what it does best - bore me to tears.
4/10

You dropped G Gundam? YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN! NEVER!

A franchise I like offered everything but breathtaking presentation.
Digimon tri continued to look barely functional, but my nostalgia goggles are thick enough, and the writing is rather competent overall, so I don’t mind indulging into it. At least the fight scenes have been handled with care. Something rather peculiar is the rather calm feel this series exudes. I can’t put my finger down on why that is, though.
I can feel that the creators of tri have been huge fans of the series and know exactly how to service the fans. The focus on Mimi and Joey and their problems tied nicely into the story,

And not just the story; their crests, and their history.

Each character is having a crisis relevant to what their crests stand for.

Tai is having a crisis of Courage; of learning that your actions can have negative consequences for others, and that as a leader; you need to be able to accept this, or you will be crippled by self-doubt.

Matt is having a crisis of Friendship; it appears to him that Tai is rejecting not just his duty, but the bond that brought the two of them together, hence why we're flashed the image of them holding hands when they were 10. He's afraid not just for the people they're supposed to be protecting, but that he's losing a friend.

Joe is having a crisis of Sincerity; caught between becoming an adult, and being a Chosen Child, and feeling unable to fully commit to either.

Mimi is having a crisis of Purity; of learning how to properly express herself without compromising who she is. Like Matt to Tai; Mimi's crisis is tied into Joe's, as both are seeking how to be themselves. In parallel to what he did for her in S1, Joe *spiritually* takes Mimi under his wing here.

And it's clear, by the promo for part 3, that we'll see T.K. experience a crisis of Hope.

What's awesome, is that none of these crises they've brought up thus far are re-treads. They're all fresh angles on the virtues; different from the challenges in S1 that earned them their crests to start with.

... I' am a bit worried about Sora though, there's a very predictable "crisis of Love" for her to fall into. It'd actually be an opportune time to discuss what's been going on with her dad, but...

After this batch of Episodes (no, I won’t call it a movie - a movie operates on another level in terms of animation quality in my head), I’m really sold on this project and I’m really looking forward to the next batch of Episodes. 6/10

This next one will take almost twice as long to be released as part 2, hopefully that extra time is meant to iron out their "Quality!" issues.

Gross, mean-spirited stuff always makes me burst out laughing, though, stuff like Drawn Together. So awful people being awful to each other a.k.a. Konosuba was exactly my jam. But this show had me giggling a lot. And even when the jokes didn’t land, it at least managed to not bore me by staying entertaining.

Not a lot of slam dunks for me, but enough lay ups to get it through the game.

I did like the process of how each joke seemed to snowball into the next; you're kept on your toes to see how each new gag will alter the calculus for the MC.

robersora

Postby robersora » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:38 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:You dropped G Gundam? YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN!

I haven't tried that one actually.
I've tried (in chronological order)
- UC -> beautiful to look at, but I was lost amidst all the stuff I didn't know. This one's on me, because as I have learned later on Unicorn is the worst place to start.
- G Reco -> beautiful to look at, but the LOLTomino was too much for me to handle.
- Turn A -> Great designs, music, setting and characters, but the LOLTomino was too much for me to handle.
- IBO -> I had a great time with it, until they got stuck on that ship to earth for 600 Episodes.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Each character is having a crisis relevant to what their crests stand for.

:scanners_head:

I didn't notice the obvious. OH MY FUCKING GOD.

Man, now I love this series even more!

Two things, Joey's crest not Sincerity, it's Reliability. Which I think, makes much more sense. Gotamon couldn't rely on him anymore, because couldn't rely on himself and his role(s) in life.
Mimi's crest's not Purity, but Sincerity. The people are calling out that she's a nuisance, because of her foreign straight-forward manner.

Man, I didn't see that coming. Really awesome. Yeah, from the Trailer we've seen the PATAMOOON. Seems like T.K. will be thrust in a hopeless situation, won't he.
I'm really curious to how they'll address Izzy's crest of wisdom though. Up until now, he seems as capable as he has always been... Also, Hikari's crest of Light will be interesting too.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I did like the process of how each joke seemed to snowball into the next; you're kept on your toes to see how each new gag will alter the calculus for the MC.

I can say nothing but shake my head violently in agreement.

The Gundam-clip you showed me had some lovely animation, great style and beautiful music. But it instantly bored me with on of my least favorite story-telling technique of them all. Instead of showing us what's happening, bystanders are explaining it to us.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:14 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Two things, Joey's crest not Sincerity, it's Reliability.

It's Seijitsu, which translates to Honesty/Sincerity/Faithfulness. Reliability was an intentionally wrong choice by Jeff Nimoy, as he thought Mimi and Joe's crest would be difficult for western audiences to differentiate. And I honestly don't blame him for that; even Joe's journey to getting his crest activated seems a bit of an afterthought in context.

Mimi's crest is a drop of water; which itself represents purity in... well, Buddhism or Shintoism, I'm not quite sure.
Rest assured, it is purity however.

Also, wisdom isn't *wrong* per se, but Izzy's Chishiki translates more easily as Knowledge or information.

Which I think, makes much more sense. Gotamon couldn't rely on him anymore

Gomamon. Gatomon (Tailmon) is Kari's partner.

Up until now, he seems as capable as he has always been... Also, Hikari's crest of Light will be interesting too.

I think the prophecy Izzy was sent will work into that. "Those who desire true power must know the darkness, and go beyond". Seems an ideal piece of advice for someone experiencing a "crisis of Light"... whatever that is.

The Gundam-clip you showed me had some lovely animation, great style and beautiful music. But it instantly bored me with on of my least favorite story-telling technique of them all. Instead of showing us what's happening, bystanders are explaining it to us.

In all fairness, it's perhaps the worst episode in the series. It comes out of no where, and the premise leaves you a bit muddled. All it's really doing is filling in Domon's backstory, which was pretty clear even before that.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 am

Since the last time I was here, I watched all of HE IS MY MASTER and EBICHU.

Let's just say that the latter amused me more than the former. MASTER did made me think the people who worked on it, and how there's this interesting progression of quality by each anime from its' director. And truth be told, for every 10 or so gags that fell flat, there was at least one gag that got a smile out of me. So I'm still glad I saw it.

Also saw the first episode of HANMARU KINDERGARDEN. Twas cute, that one is going to be a fun one to get through. But right now, I plan to go through PETITE PRINCESS YUCIE, and I'm enjoying on what I see. I'll report back when that's all done.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

robersora

Postby robersora » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:44 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:It's Seijitsu, which translates to Honesty/Sincerity/Faithfulness. Reliability was an intentionally wrong choice by Jeff Nimoy, as he thought Mimi and Joe's crest would be difficult for western audiences to differentiate. And I honestly don't blame him for that; even Joe's journey to getting his crest activated seems a bit of an afterthought in context.

Mimi's crest is a drop of water; which itself represents purity in... well, Buddhism or Shintoism, I'm not quite sure.
Rest assured, it is purity however.

Also, wisdom isn't *wrong* per se, but Izzy's Chishiki translates more easily as Knowledge or information.

:doh:

I really didn't think of checking if the translations are accurate. Sorry, I stand corrected. Still, I think Reliabilty and Sincerity would work with their respecive dilemmas.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Gomamon. Gatomon (Tailmon) is Kari's partner.

Yes, of course. My bad, sorry.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:In all fairness, it's perhaps the worst episode in the series. It comes out of no where, and the premise leaves you a bit muddled. All it's really doing is filling in Domon's backstory, which was pretty clear even before that.

Well, its goofiness had me hooked, more so than anything else in G Reco.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is over! That was a great ending, although it really can't top the climax of the previous episode. And second season is confirmed! I hope
I only wish they had more full Rakugo performances, but they only have so many minutes in an episode...
That funeral scene was powerful. The time skip was done so gracefully that seeing the characters aged doesn't hit you fully until that moment.

So EGF, what did you think of the best show of the season? There are people here that watched this anime, right?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Return to “Old Stickies”