What anime are you watching right now? 2H15 to 1H16

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Since I've been living with my sister for a while, I've been watching a couple. bear with me now, since there's quite a few:

Dragon Ball Super

Okay, so I know there are a lot of people who are sort of against DBZ because of its annoying filler fighting episodes and how "edgy" it is, but I believe this is going in the right direction for a Dragon Ball series. It's a lot more lighthearted so far, some more character development, despite some I'm not terribly fond of (Gohan and Videl.....), and so far, lying out the foundations for potential quality action. I'm going to say that I haven't watched DBZ or DB in 11 years, but this show has gotten me back into it. I feel like people can appreciate the show more if they watch it more for the slice of life moments as opposed to the fighting.

Himoto! Umaru chan
Basically, there's this girl who is a mary-sue at her school. Like, she's perfect in every single way, her character is the equivalent of half of the personalities I've seen people give their Sonic OCs, but then when she gets home, she turns into orange hamster bean girl who lounges about on her computer and drinks soda while eating junk food. This anime is just....yeah I see a trend here of anime series post 2010: they're pretty much shows that speak to otakus or NEETs, which I find to be a really interesting trend.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
this show is basically what if the Japanese government banned indecency, public and private, including sexual references and foul language, and you can get arrested for this stuff. I really love it so far and I think I'll continue the series

Monster Musume
because monster girls are glorious

But yeah the point is, I have many shows to keep up with, and I honestly haven't watched anime as much as I do now since I'm staying with my older sister. I mostly have her to thank.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Michiko and Hatchin: Holy shit, is this a good anime. Picture pre-cartel modern Mexico, populated with a cast from Brazil, with a story centering on a mother and daughter on the run told in the style of Cowboy Bebop. That's what Michiko and Hatchin is, and it's glorious. Michiko is simultaneously badass and horribly flawed, and Hatchin is one of the best child protagonists I think I've ever seen. Add in the fact that Michiko succeeds and fails in equal measure, keeping the viewer on edge, and that the endings are all kinds of subverted and you wind up with a true masterpiece. Specifically,

SPOILER: Show
Shinsuke's end is deliciously ironic, and Satoshi's end is wonderfully ignominious. And then we have Michiko turning herself in, and that timeskip, and the final frame . . . absolutely glorious.

I saw the first four episodes of this at Otakon, and the first ep had me hooked. The fourth had me going "whoa, did not see that coming." I saw the next four that night, three more the next morning, one at the airport, two more on the plane, three when I got home, and the rest today. I can't remember ever marathoning a show that fast, but this one sucked me in and said "hey, I'm awesome, watch me!" And it paid off, in spades.

Go watch this, folks. It's great stuff.

Gate: We had another show about a portal between Japan and a fantasy world (can't remember the title, if that tells you anything about the impression it left), but Gate does it better. More politics, more nitty-gritty day-to-day shit, more believability in general. And the MC is still a fucking anime otaku. It's proof that execution matters as much as concept. We're only four eps in, but they're pretty good eps. I like where this is going.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:05 pm

^ Michiko and Hatchin is the show I'm postponing my already late Kill la Kill experience to to watch. After seeing an episode on Toonami in the background of me doing something else, I read up on the filmmakers and am sold on it.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Michiko and Hatchin

Im watching it on toonami as well, I'm really enjoying it so far. Only 5 episodes in and no plans to drop it anytime soon. :)
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:31 pm

I heard about Michiko and Hachin a long time ago and added it to the black hole that is my backlog, I'll try to get to it one of these days.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Gate: We had another show about a portal between Japan and a fantasy world (can't remember the title, if that tells you anything about the impression it left)

That would be Outbreak Company (I didn't remember the title either, had to look it up). Show was not memorable at all, but this is still one of the best BGMs I've seen in anime.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:39 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:That would be Outbreak Company (I didn't remember the title either, had to look it up).

Right, Outbreak Company. I tried to like it at the time, but Gate surpasses it on every level, so in hindsight it looks kind of pathetic. Mind you, I don't know where Gate's going; it could wind up being horrible. But so far it looks pretty good, and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until it brings the suck.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:17 am

Gate does wind up going somewhere...........that somewhere just isn't very good.
Which is a shame because it starts out promising.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Gate is okay so far. It suffers from censorship and the common modern saturated colors that make it look like Disneyland instead of Middle-earth.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:19 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:It suffers from censorship

Blood or boobs (or both)?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:22 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Blood or boobs (or both)?

I haven't noticed examples of either, honestly.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Look im fine with some censoring as we can wait for the BD, as long as it never gets as bad as this:
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:55 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Blood or boobs (or both)?

Mostly voilence. They watered it down to pg 13 level. They cut down on the amount of blood, that they don't even show people dying in an anime about war.

In Rory's case her introduction is censored which actually takes away some of her character background.

pic related, manga

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:36 pm

I think there's a big difference between "anime elects not to exhibit scenes of graphic violence" and "anime is censored." The question lies with who is making the decision -- the creators, or the network. If it's the former, there's no censorship since what they created is being broadcast unedited. If it's the latter, there's censorship. The two are not the same.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:41 pm

But again, if the animators choose not to represent something which is part of the manga which they are adapting, that is a form of censorship, yes? After all, the decision to not to include the violence or whatever is being taken by someone other than the person who put it in originally.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:50 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But again, if the animators choose not to represent something which is part of the manga which they are adapting, that is a form of censorship, yes? After all, the decision to not to include the violence or whatever is being taken by someone other than the person who put it in originally.

I disagree. To me it's only censorship if it comes at the hands of a third party -- either the network, or (in extreme cases) the government. If it's a creative decision I don't think it can rightly called censorship. After all, the author of the manga isn't creating the show -- that's a different team, and they'll make their own choices (as they should). If you were to call them cowardly for making the decisions they did I might agree, but that's a very different matter from censorship as we commonly understand the term.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:To me it's only censorship if it comes at the hands of a third party

But self-censorship is a thing. Not really the case here as it's not the original author doing it though.

I'm ok with this kind of censorship, not in the sense that I like it, but this way of doing it makes the experience more enjoyable than having blacked out screens. I wouldn't even know what I was missing if it wasn't pointed out.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if the show was ecchi or edgy, apparently it's edgy, so I may watch it.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:54 am

Maybe I should mention that the author is an ex-soldier and the anime is sponsored by the JSDF among others. They are following the story pretty closely except for censoring the voilent parts. Surely you wouldn't want to discourage potential NEET recruits by showing how unpleasant conflict could get.

This week's episode was Sunrise

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Watched the first four episodes of Shimoneta. Ayame best girl.

Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:11 pm

Watched episode 5 of Aquarion Logos. If you haven't picked this show up, DO IT since this is the beach episode so swimsuit fanservice is OVER 9000 and the loli gets chilly so what do the ladies do? Why, get nude and provide a breast party OF COURSE! :shifty: :devil:

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:35 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Watched episode 5 of Aquarion Logos. If you haven't picked this show up, DO IT since this is the beach episode so swimsuit fanservice is OVER 9000 and the loli gets chilly so what do the ladies do? Why, get nude and provide a breast party OF COURSE! :shifty: :devil:

...But is there anything that makes it different from another 5000 shows? Because at the end of the day someone can just watch Hentai if that is what they want.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Return to “Old Stickies”