Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TraxXavier
Lilith

Where do you get your animes from?

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Fri May 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Where do you get your Animes from?
I noticed in the last years there are less and less sources for Animes.

I believe this question as formulated is not against the rules :|
If you are afraid your answer may be, than just PM me ;)
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Crunchyroll, Hulu and Funimation. Then Amazon.

If you're asking where to illegally download/steal them, then that's against the rules.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation, and some companies are putting episodes on youtube now like certain Gundam titles and Rightstuf has a few series on youtube. Amazon, Rightstuf and occassionally brick and mortar stores but thats more hit and miss
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri May 29, 2015 12:40 pm

I've never really paid attention to where I get the ones I watch.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri May 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Japan.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm

I buy DVD/BD/manga/books from Amazon (us, uk, fr, de, jp), eBay, AbeBooks, otaku.co.uk, CDJapan, Madman (Aus), Siren (Aus) according to where I can get the best deal (or buy at all). Obviously my players are all-region. Delivery to the UK is slowest from the US - both Japan and Australia get things here faster for less money. A couple of times I've used an agent to buy in Japan and post to me, when I can't find a vendor that will do it direct.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri May 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Right Stuf sales.

Really mainstream stuff is sometimes cheaper on Amazon.

Buying direct from licensors at anime conventions is sometimes as cheap as Right Stuf's sales, but that seems to have changed in recent years.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 29, 2015 3:20 pm

For legal streaming, i use Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc.. Whoever licensed it usually has it on their site.

For physical copies, i just shop around online and see if RightStuf, Amazon, or the licensor's site has it the cheapest.

Illegal streaming is incredibly stupid, don't do that.

Sometimes, if the show is not otherwise available, I might torrent it, but naming the sites I use is against the rules.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri May 29, 2015 3:42 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Illegal streaming is incredibly stupid, don't do that.

If i had an option outside of america i would do legal streaming, but nope, i cant watch 90% of the things on crunchyroll or funimation because loluk.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 29, 2015 3:45 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:If i had an option outside of america i would do legal streaming, but nope, i cant watch 90% of the things on crunchyroll or funimation because loluk.

I use proxies for things not available in the US. Really, if you're streaming from unofficial sites, you might as well torrent it to get higher quality video and audio, with no buffering.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 pm

You cant find torrents that are still seeded for all anime, specifically older anime.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 29, 2015 3:49 pm

True enough.
/hj

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Fri May 29, 2015 4:03 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Illegal streaming is incredibly stupid, don't do that.

Why?

I mean in most EU countries streaming (as watching) is not illegal no mater the source. (only the one that provides the stream is operating on the wrong site of the law)

but back to legal streaming...
why funimation says that the video is not available in my territory?
What countries VPN do I need to watch it?

And since we are at it, i remember that Hulu is also such geoblocked $!&/§ with that countries IP does it work?
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:06 pm

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:but back to legal streaming...
why funimation says that the video is not available in my territory?
What countries VPN do I need to watch it?
US, not sure if Canada will work
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Funi and Hulu are essentially US only, which is really off-pissing when that means they effectively hog rights for the whole Anglosphere (into which Scandinavia is honorarily adopted) without delivering. Being Britbong is suffering.

I've really not tracked the fansub scene for years now, since when it collapsed down to being little more than Funi and Crunchy rips, often with bloated encodes (and from low quality hard-subbed video masters in the case of Funi), for all the current stuff. Gone are the good old days of painstaking encodes from the original Japanese transit streams; in their place you get meme-laden speedsubs, because waiting a week or so after airing is too much for the ADHD kiddies.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Fri May 29, 2015 4:35 pm

youtube because I'm a lazy ho

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri May 29, 2015 4:51 pm

I get my anime from the pits of hell themselves.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 29, 2015 5:19 pm

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:Why?

Shit video quality most of the time, subs are usually really poor translations, and the few sites with decent quality constantly stop to buffer.
/hj

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri May 29, 2015 5:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Funi and Hulu are essentially US only, which is really off-pissing when that means they effectively hog rights for the whole Anglosphere (into which Scandinavia is honorarily adopted) without delivering. Being Britbong is suffering.

Even if they were available in my country I would never give crunchyshills & co money anyway.

:pirate: and when I like something I buy the copies from one of the various online stores.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Physical copies (which haven't been in forever because the stuff I'm waiting for isn't out Stateside yet) Righstuf which has incredibly low prices for their bargain bin (lots of old school stuff), or Amazon.

Digital/streaming: Crunchyroll or Hulu/Neon Alley, since for the shows I watch, they're free. I love the idea of iTunes/Amazon etc downloads, but don't have the right means to set that up right now. Probably someday I will.

I understand the reasons are all about distribution/etc rights, but I still find it sucky how Neon Alley/Hulu is for us in the U.S. only, when it should be for Canada/Mexico too. I mean, it's supposed to be a NORTH American service, no?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Anime and Manga”