Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Punch Line is a science fiction comedy about time travelling ghosts, genocidal cults, genetically engineered supersoldiers, political corruption, and international politics disguised as an ecchi gag comedy about panties and magical girls.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:53 pm

I thought I was the only one who liked Punch Line. -o-;

I don't think I'd call it series of the year but I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind another season.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:37 pm

The beautiful thing about it is that a second season is impossible. It's thirteen episodes and it's over and it can never be extended, and so it can never be ruined.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Would like to hear more. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 am

View Original PostEnki v.2 wrote:OK, OK, controversial rankings.

Series of the summer 2015 season: Classroom Crisis

I've been avoiding this series because all I hear is that it's boring or... just not mentioned, because people forget about it.

What sold you on it?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:46 pm

as a fellow Punch Line dropper, I await Enki's response. The show seemed too goofy and sentimental (and not in a good way), and by episode 3, I felt like there weren't going to be enough curveballs or "wow moments" in the future to keep me hooked.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:42 am

I also dropped Punch Line. It seemed like it wanted to be FLCL or the like but didn't have the chops to pull it off.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:33 pm

I watched the first ep of punchline, looks like it could be good, but unless it pulls some crazy shit i doubt it will be #1 of 2015 for me, that will most likely go to one punch man.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Would like to hear more. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:29 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I've been avoiding this series because all I hear is that it's boring or... just not mentioned, because people forget about it.

What sold you on it?

It's honestly just a really solid show. It makes the internal company politics of a spacecraft engine manufacturing conglomerate interesting. It has a wide array of really interesting characters, and some good character development. All of the bad guys are sympathetic and understandable, and it focuses on a really mundane kind of evil in its antagonists. Of the summer 2015 cour shows, it was really just the most complete package. It wasn't as entertaining as Punch Line, but it wasn't intended to be a gag show (or even to present as one).

Punch Line and Classroom Crisis are both shows that are way better than they should be based on their summaries or the initial impressions they make. As a result, they really shone out among the much larger collection of shows that were exactly what they advertised themselves to be or were perhaps a little worse than they seemed.

Defectron,
Punch Line's bread and butter is crazy shit. Like, multiple huge world-changing and spectacular plot twists per episode.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Suddenly, my watch list is long; how'd that happen? B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 am

View Original PostEnki v.2 wrote:It's honestly just a really solid show. It makes the internal company politics of a spacecraft engine manufacturing conglomerate interesting.

You're making me think it's Augustine's Laws: the Animation, but it can't possibly be that good.

Perhaps the spacecraft version of Daiguard? Though I'm getting the feeling that it's not a parody either.

Still, I'll leave it on my watch list for now.

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I watched the first ep of punchline, looks like it could be good, but unless it pulls some crazy shit i doubt it will be #1 of 2015 for me, that will most likely go to one punch man.

Wow, I honestly confused those two; I thought everyone was talking about "One Punch". -o-;
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Only read the manga, but One-Punch Man, while an interesting concept, was only good for a single story arc, because it never did much with the premise.

Series of 2015 is easily Yuri Kuma Arashi. Only series that i watched as it aired without ever being late and genuinely missed looking forward to new episodes after it ended.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:37 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Only read the manga, but One-Punch Man, while an interesting concept, was only good for a single story arc, because it never did much with the premise.

Series of 2015 is easily Yuri Kuma Arashi. Only series that i watched as it aired without ever being late and genuinely missed looking forward to new episodes after it ended.

Never heard of that one either, maybe I'll check that one out. Imo the best material in one punch man comes after the beginning arcs though.

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:49 pm

A whole lot of the appeal of Onepana man is being the gory version of apan man...who's like a bald humanoid bread super hero and it's superpopular in Japan. I never heard of it until I got into one punch man. Think of you childhood superhero becoming a 20yo adrenaline junkie having gory dreams. Obviously you are going to twist and make fun of superhero stuff tropes to make it a thing, it's a bunch of presents to the webcomic followers like killing Piccolo's dumber brother and it was never meant to be controversial although I wish it'd be more subversive. It's not like you have to browse tvtropes to get the jokes, going through the summer without air conditioner to save money instead of training your mind is pretty straightforward....and super ok as joke. The mang pulls it way better than the anime though.
We are at ep3 or something and it's like they are pretending to act and being goofy.
Still, seriously, it's all full of silly shit making fun of superheroes and it's genius

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:00 pm

@Defectron
Yuri Bear Storm was this year's 1-cour series from Ikuhara, airing in the first quarter.

@Thread
We seem to be running into the sand in the last few posts dealing with shows from the last few months for which no real established wisdom yet exists; and it's still too early to be declaring a series of the year.

There was a better controversial opinion thread on /a/ yesterday under the subject "6/10 anime" that opened with a a Mawaru Penguindrum image (possibly correct, possibly it's a 5/10), and ended up with some /a/nons posting lists of representative anime, one each from 10/10 to 1/10.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:23 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:@Defectron
Yuri Bear Storm was this year's 1-cour series from Ikuhara, airing in the first quarter.

@Thread
We seem to be running into the sand in the last few posts dealing with shows from the last few months for which no real established wisdom yet exists; and it's still too early to be declaring a series of the year.

There was a better controversial opinion thread on /a/ yesterday under the subject "6/10 anime" that opened with a a Mawaru Penguindrum image (possibly correct, possibly it's a 5/10), and ended up with some /a/nons posting lists of representative anime, one each from 10/10 to 1/10.

Well opman is my second favorite manga and so far the series has been pretty faithful tot he manga, so unless someone comes out with something really amazing or unless madhouse really drops the ball later it'll be hard to dethrone that as the best of 2015 for me.

As for controversial low and high rated opinions for me, I'm not sure how controversial this actually is but maybe somewhat?

1/10: Hamtaro

Because yeah out of all the anime I have ever seen I found that to be the least enjoyable, I know the show has some fans but damn I just could not sit all the way through a single episode of that show.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Speaking of thirteen episodes I really hate the whole thirteen episode limit placed on some adaptations as they seem to fail capture what the original story great.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:33 pm

View Original PostGAP wrote:they seem to fail capture what the original story great.
The list of anime adaptations that even match, let alone improve on, their original is a very short one, regardless of episode count.

Do you have any particular examples in mind?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:58 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The list of anime adaptations that even match, let alone improve on, their original is a very short one, regardless of episode count.

Do you have any particular examples in mind?

imo the first half of the urusei yatsura anime was an improvement over the manga, though the second half could've used some more work. I also liked hellsing ultimate a bit more then the hellsing manga.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Oh man, hellsing, I watched the tv thing and then the ultimate thing and then the manga and still wish to get back all the time lost. Just why not watching vampire hunter D once and moving on with things?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Because watching Alexander Anderson flip his gourd always makes for an amusing afternoon.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:56 pm

View Original PostGAP wrote:Speaking of thirteen episodes I really hate the whole thirteen episode limit placed on some adaptations as they seem to fail capture what the original story great.

I hated the Aku no Hana anime for doing this. I understand why it happened, but I'm not happy about it.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Return to “Anime and Manga”