Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat May 30, 2015 6:14 pm

UBW

Dr. Gil removing the cancer

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Zeta Gundam 1-3:

The LOLTOMINO is already flowing freely, but to be honest it actually works pretty well. The first episode was kinda ludicrous but 2 and 3 are much, much better.

SPOILER: Show
Poor Kamille's mum though... :sniffle:

enjoy the ride

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat May 30, 2015 6:15 pm

KAMIYUU
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Kinda didnt want to see this... Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 31, 2015 4:05 am

Knight of Sidonia: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Ep. 8

Okay... so Izana's Grandma was apparently a Final Fantasy Heroine in a prior life... -o-;

Bit confused though, I thought the Grandma last season had implied that she was keeping her lack of aging a secret from Izana ?

Not really digging the shipping hijinks to be quite honest. Especially annoying last episode, where the senior female pilot decided out of the blue that she liked Nagate.

Also a bit confused of how En's suspicion of Nagate has switched around to her liking him too. I get that the this twist was coming, but it felt like they forewent the explanation and just said "fuck it, she wants him now."
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 31, 2015 9:07 pm

Plastic Memories #9: This remains the anime of the season. I still don't know where they're going with it, but I hope they don't wuss out. Tear out my heart, you fuckers, but give me something real!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun May 31, 2015 9:57 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:UBW

Dr. Gil removing the cancer
That end bit with Shinji fucking killed me. I haven't looked for a webm/gif of it yet but I hope there is one. Instant comedy.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:39 pm

^All the various minor muckups in previous episodes may have been worth it to just that Gil scene.

Of course it was probably supposed to be horrible, but it was massively satisfying.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Just gross. I don't even mean the hentai Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:47 am

Grisaia No Kajitsu & No Rakuen

Wow, this series is... trashy. Felt gross just watching it.

You get the sense that a twist is coming when they play-up the high school hi jinks just a little too straight, with small deviations around the edges. But I wouldn't say said twist is worth sticking around for.

Grisaia is not without its moments, those here in the second season between the protag and his master seemed decent enough. But overall, it feels like I'm devoting brain space to a pretty mediocre (though at times, heavy handed) series.

Didn't know what to think quite honestly with the final, dramatic tale of the oldest girl in the last few episodes of the first season. On the one hand, the drama and the utter horror of the event I felt were well done, on the otherhand... Panty shots. Seriously, WTF?!?

The writers retroactively toned the events down slightly in the 2nd season, showing that the victims regained their senses to an extent... But admittedly, I was a bit disappointed by this. As gruesome, and hard to watch as those events were, it was the only thing that was proving at all memorable, without feeling simply exploitive.

... Or just tacked on, as Serieously-I'm-Not-Sousuke-Saghara protag backstory was proving to be, with his... Eh, yandere (?) relationship to the head terrorist, and its layer upon layer of tragedy. Seriously, the boys from Rainbow would be pitying this guy.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 am

Your Lie in April - I finished this, and feel wrung out, though the last third touched me personally much less than the earlier parts (see my previous entry above). I can recommend this show to anyone who is interested in the pain that performers can go through; it is indeed remarkably authentically shown, as I can testify from personal experience. Although the graphics concerned are fanciful, they get the feelings over very well.

The show is in fact absolutely beautiful throughout. Colourful, varied, good character designs, excellent animation, and (naturally!) wonderful music. A special word for the animation of the piano playing: it was varied, from successive stills, through approximate movements, to closeups that I suspect were rotoscoped, but much better integrated than often happens. In no case was there the kind of error that makes me blench, where the hands move the wrong way for the music or the like. The printed music we could see was always the actual music being heard, and the covers were editions I could recognise and name.

As for the story, the musical journey of all the participants was well shown and convincing. It's enough for you to know that it can happen like that. The later part of the story changes its focus in some respects, showing more of the conflict in the MC's love interests (in both directions). But there are also interesting developments as we see the MC's understanding of his mother change as he sees
SPOILER: Show
Kaori in hospital - first viewing Kaori's illness as a manifestation of cruelty towards him, like his mother's, and then coming to understand, to the contrary, that like Kaori his mother was doing what she did for him - and whereas throughout the series his mother has been shown faceless, in his last visualisation of her, she finally has a complete face and he can look her in the eye.
These later episodes don't drag for me, but they are admittedly slower in pace, and could perhaps have been pruned by an episode - there is a fair amount of repeated animation here.

The end is well done, and rather unexpected. After the MC's final performance, we do not see the audience reaction, nor those of the competition judges, the rival performers, his friends, or his teacher. If we've been paying attention we should know what every one of those will be. Instead, we get him reading a letter which is a farewell from the other main character, with explanations of much that has happened, nearly all of which we should have been able to pick up from hints through the series, and including an explanation of the series title. And finally we get to see how his life will go on.

There is an OVA. Nice to have, but not adding anything. It shows the musical rivals getting to know one another as young children, and a large part of the animation is repeated from flashbacks during the series.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:14 am

Nice review, pw. I'm glad someone liked it as much as I did; I thought it retained its remarkable emotional impact throughout.

I watched Shin Getter Robo. The three protagonists and the professor were all really entertaining in their assholish ways. It was pretty good up until the last episode, when it became great. I guess it's good to know where TTGL drew from.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Kinda didnt want to see this... Bl

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:04 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Knight of Sidonia: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki Ep. 8
Not really digging the shipping hijinks to be quite honest. Especially annoying last episode, where the senior female pilot decided out of the blue that she liked Nagate.

Behind but I checked the scene out. Maybe the haremization is an attempt to lighten up an otherwise serious series.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:43 pm

I really like Euphonium but it also reminds why I don't like romance. Just focus on the music and spare us with the oh--I-have-suddenly-these-hidden-feelings-for-this-boy-which-I-never-gave-a-shit-about writing. Even the yuri-baiting made more sense.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 pm

I've been rewatching Busou Renkin; after a long enough interval to forget pretty much everything but that Papillon stole the show, it was quite an enjoyable ride -- fightan shonen with power-ups, done right.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

QUESTION! BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:55 pm

^... Wait, are you re-watching that because of Rurouni Kenshin by chance?

That aside, Busou Renkin felt... confused to me. Never quite understood why Papillon was even alive, given he can't gather *sustenance* like other homunculus.

"I'm an immortal who doesn't need to feed because I was terminally ill before I transformed!"

... That's was the only explanation I could grasp from it. It was like saying a vampire didn't need to draw blood, because as a human they suffered from throat cancer.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: QUESTION! BD

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:17 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:^... Wait, are you re-watching that because of Rurouni Kenshin by chance?
No -- simply because I'm belatedly in the process of getting my media collection organized, and it's near the start of the alphabet when looking for something to put on.

That aside, Busou Renkin felt... confused to me. Never quite understood why Papillon was even alive, given he can't gather *sustenance* like other homunculus.
He stays alive because his penis makes him genki.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Sad investment. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 am

Nisekoi

Disappointed, in part, because I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse.

The show started out well enough in the 1st season. The premise grabbed me, and I was interested to see how things would develop... but they don't. And they never will.

The show, when it's not displaying a Chitoge story, is just playing for time. Little different from the Manga itself, which is on its 172 chapter, and just now, the MC is figuring out details about Tachibana the reader picked out almost since her introduction some 130 chapters ago.

That the anime is equally dragging its feet was on full display with this latest episode. I had no issue with the parody, or showing off a spin-off to the main series. It was simply painful to see how slapdash a fashion it was thrown in, and then unceremoniously kicked out for the Haru story in the second half. It's like the writer or director took cues from the manga writer, and figure they too didn't have to put up pretenses anymore. They could just be lazy.

The MC himself is pretty boring, most of the characters are stuck in Romcom cliche rut, and the only interesting thing about the plot, the namesake "fake love" of the series, has been sent upriver in favor of invoking yet more love interests and pointless side stories that refuse to move the narritive foreward.

For myself, ultimately, the biggest thing that proved worthwhile about the show was for it to serve as a contrast to Oregairu, so I could discern why I liked the latter as much as I do.

Otherwise, I regret investing in a show that shows no inclination for a payoff.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:08 pm

I just noticed that Crunchy had added the Donyatsu anime to their catalog. Alas, in a dozen 2m shorts, it doesn't even reach the WTFness of

the first page of the manga  SPOILER: Show
let alone the continuing story.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Sad investment. Bl

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Nisekoi

The show started out well enough in the 1st season. The premise grabbed me, and I was interested to see how things would develop... but they don't. And they never will.

I understand this, and agree completely. I'm still enjoying the show; it's simply more fun to watch than The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, for instance, while being hugely less interesting than Oregairu.

But I agree with what you are saying about it going nowhere. They've lost interest in the locket and keys, and the Fake Love of the title is taking a back seat - so now it's just wacky highjinks, really. I'm pretty sure I'll see the season through, but I doubt I'll pick it up again in the future.

I'm liking Plastic Memories though; a love story that's not a harem, for one thing!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Sad investment. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:06 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I understand this, and agree completely. I'm still enjoying the show; it's simply more fun to watch than The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, for instance, while being hugely less interesting than Oregairu.

I don't blame Nisekoi entirely for its troubles, as it's serialized in Shounen Jump, which means a long, drawn out publication was invetible, thus the writer was going to have to resort to cliches and feet dragging to keep things from ending.

There was potential for a good story if narritive had been allowed to be tighter. As it stands, it just feels like a longer, mediocre Love Hina, with better stylization.

I can certainly relate though, in seeing the image of the show being somewhat redeemed in your eyes if you were watching something even worse at the same time. In my case, I've been watching Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, and the characterization there are just painful with how horribly cliche and wafer thin they are, especially after coming right off of Oregairu.

If not for competent world building, and my love for drawn out, knuckle busting, no-holds-barred fight scenes, I would have dropped it immediately.

Nisekoi however suffers in comparison too, because there's yet another slice of life show I've latched onto, one that seems to answer the problems I had with the former.

Ore Monogatari.

This show is, in my estimation, nigh the Kung Fu Panda of slice of life, Romcom anime, in that it's intentionally breaking the rule, by having the MC be a huge, lumbering oaf instead of a bishounen or "average-looking" archetype. This, while the actual series bishounen is regulated to the friend/3rd wheel, who doesn't have a girlfriend (!) (or a stated love interest).

But even in breaking the rules, it's not being malicious or spiteful about it. Like Panda, it's a good-natured ribbing on its home genre, while living up what the genre is as its core. In its case, a good natured love story.

The show starts out slow, as both of the male characters are rather typed lipped about emotional matters, and the MC has to struggle in realizing that he, and not his "cool" friend, is the object of the main girl's affection.

But once the show gets going, it seemingly just keeps moving from strength to strength, with stories that don't rehash each other, but instead compliment what came before, building upon the growing relationship between the MC and the girl, and how this effects the MC's relationship with his friend.

BTW, the confession part is done with by episode 3, which means the bulk of the story has been about the two leads sorting through the nuances of having, not just wishing for a relationship. I only wish Nisekoi had that kind of courage.

The MC does have another, one-sided love interest as it turned out, but he doesn't know about it, and her actions only end helping to further uplift the series pairing. She also isn't a series regular.

So in the end, the show is really just two guys, one girl, and no love triangle. What a concept. -o-;

If there 's one thing I'd fault the series with, it's the comparatively exploitive Shounen bits where the MC breaks into hero-action mode. He's built for it of course, but it feels a tad contrived.

Regardless, this too is meant to contrast yet again how he isn't the typical bishounen protagonist, so I can forgive it.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Yeah, Ore Monogatri has been fantastic--I've only seen the first 4 episodes, but it hits the right buttons with me. I can't wait to jump back into it.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Minor eye catch Bp

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I'm liking Plastic Memories though; a love story that's not a harem, for one thing!

Because I found out that Oregairu Zoku has evidently been making subtle (and not so subtle) changes to its OP as episodes have progressed, for Plastic Memories I payed halfway attention, even as I was skipping through it.

What I'm catching is that they're changing how Isla is looking at the MC in final few seconds. She starts out in ep 2 looking at him nonchantly then turning her gaze downward. By episode 4 she looks back at him, looking dejected. By episode 6 she slowly breaks into a smile. By episode 7 she's smiling from the start, and now in episode 9 she's looking to side in slight embrassment.

A small easter egg, one that probably runs together into one seamless action, yet the individual pieces help to signify what the state of Isla's relationship is with the MC in a given episode. A nice touch.

Return to “Old Stickies”