What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Recently watched episode 9 of Ranma 1/2. While the importance of the episode's title concerning Akane's hair change doesn't hold importance all the way through, it's still an interesting turn of events in how she finds closure concerning her puppy love for Dr. Tofu. As for the rest, a bit of fanservice with female Ranma is a joy and not weird considering Ranma's circumstances of his Jusenkyo curse.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:19 am

I've resumed watching Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. I'm currently on episode 19.

This has got to be the most schizophrenic show I've ever seen. First it wanted to be an alien invasion apocalypse show, then it turned into Top Gun with giant robots, then it was a cold war thriller with aliens, and now it has decided it wants to be a love triangle harem anime. :lol:

Judging by the next time preview at the end of the episode, the show is going to get super serious from here on out (there's only 6 episodes left, after all), and apparently episode 20 is going to be a clip show. :facepalm:

I can't wait to see how all these themes and subplots are going to get tied together in the final episodes (if the show can actually manage to do that.)
[Redacted]

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:19 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I've come to despise Moe style anime. It usually just comes off as lazy.

Despising an art form due to the way it's used is a little harsh, don't you think?

Personally, while it doesn't hold a candle to more wholesome design -like, say, Nausicaa- nor does it intend to, i appreciate moe style a lot. It's something very much outside my cultural background of violent westener so it can be a bit alien at times but i can't help sympathizing a lot with the style. Due to it's nature the aesthetics are far more ephemereal/scarce (compare it to the ornate 80's "Old Anime") and much more subtle but they're still very much there.

Besides, how can someone despise Azunyan? :tongue:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:46 am

I wish I could get back and still despise moe. I'm already too deep in the lore.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rodeo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:54 pm

I recently finished the four part OVA Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals aka just Final Fantasy. Pretty solid adventure series for the most part. The story cookie cutter (about what you'd expect since it's based on a video game) but that's largely made up for by the beautiful art, the backgrounds and environments have an almost Moebius-like look to them at times, though I'm not sure if he was actually a source of inspiration here, as was the case in Dragon's Heaven. Anyway, the character designs are top notch and the animation is pretty great too, especially in the second episode. That said, the lack of substance does come back to haunt the show in the end, the conclusion is definitely nothing to write home about, then again what do you expect from an OVA that wasn't even produced by Gainax?
Overall I'd give it a three out of five. Here are two other shows which I recently completed which I found to be inferior:

KO Century Beast
Full Metal Panic

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Cross Ange episode 11

No Sylvia, this ain't the time to second doubt your actions on Ange and expect us to feel sorry for you. As for Ange and Hilda going back into action, they work well together and I think Hilda may be developing lustful feelings for her considering how she blushed when Ange held on to her and then when Salia does the same thing, Hilda comments it doesn't feel the same. :shifty:

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Done with Star Driver. The finale was crazy and had some neat animation, though the ending kind of had me scratching my balls and asking myself why. Fun ride, glad I watched it, thank you based Ginga Bishounen.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:21 am

Ok, I've finished Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. Just as I predicted, the story got really dark after the clip show episode. This extremist group pops out of nowhere and pulls an End of Evangelion, attacking the guys who are trying to save the human race from the aliens.

I won't spoil things any further, but I will say that I'm not too happy with the way the last half of the series was handled plot-wise. After the USSR front line arc, the plot seems to morph into something completely different than it started out as, and it's a really jarring transition. Entire subplots are basically dismissed and ignored like they never happened, and when the extremist group appears it feels like the writers pulled it out of their asses.

Nevertheless it did have a good ending, and the series as a whole has great music, awesome mechs, a beautiful art style, and plenty of (mostly) likeable characters who actually develop over the course of time. I just wish the writers had stayed closer to the original tone of the series. 8 out of 10 overall.
[Redacted]

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Started watching the Tenchi Muyo! OVA series today, currently done with the first episode. Watched it in it's subbed format mostly to hear Ai Orikasa as Ryoko and she doesn't disappoint in making Ryoko so playful in her torturing of Tenchi.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:30 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Ok, I've finished Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. Just as I predicted, the story got really dark after the clip show episode. This extremist group pops out of nowhere and pulls an End of Evangelion, attacking the guys who are trying to save the human race from the aliens.

I won't spoil things any further, but I will say that I'm not too happy with the way the last half of the series was handled plot-wise. After the USSR front line arc, the plot seems to morph into something completely different than it started out as, and it's a really jarring transition. Entire subplots are basically dismissed and ignored like they never happened, and when the extremist group appears it feels like the writers pulled it out of their asses.

Nevertheless it did have a good ending, and the series as a whole has great music, awesome mechs, a beautiful art style, and plenty of (mostly) likeable characters who actually develop over the course of time. I just wish the writers had stayed closer to the original tone of the series. 8 out of 10 overall.
Stella and VG needed more screen time. :P. I agree with everything you wrote. It was the constant story transitions that hurt this series. Did you catch that last part after the end credits of the last episode?
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:41 pm

When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace: This looks like it's a harmless bit of SoL fluff, but the Hatoko subplot takes it to another level. Between her meltdown in ep 7 and the rich subtext of ep 9 I'm left thinking this show has way more substance to it than it has any right to have.
Last edited by Bagheera on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I think this is the season where things are false-flagging as SoL, just to entice the viewers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace: This looks like it's a harmless bit of SoL fluff, but the Hatoko subplot takes it to another level. Between her meltdown in ep 7 and the rich subtext of ep 9 I'm left thinking this show has way more substance than it has any right to have.

What show are you talking about?

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:54 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:What show are you talking about?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/25159/Inou ... no_Naka_de
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:01 pm

Ok, so that's actually the name of the show, I thought he was joking around with that title.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Cross Ange 1: This is awful, I'm going to watch all of it.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Cross Ange 1: This is awful, I'm going to watch all of it.

Believe it or not (in all seriousness), it gets better. Not a lot better, mind, but it goes from train wreck to halfway-decent show.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:15 am

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Stella and VG needed more screen time. :P. I agree with everything you wrote. It was the constant story transitions that hurt this series. Did you catch that last part after the end credits of the last episode?

Yeah I saw the part after the credits. Yui basically has a target painted on her back now. That one Soviet officer whose name I can never remember is still plotting... things and stuff. I never could figure out just what he was trying to accomplish. Apparently the extremist leader is planning to target Japan next? Oh, and you've got to love Cryska's inability to think of other people in anything other than battlefield terms. :lol:

I also agree with what you said about VG and Stella, they're two of my favorite characters. ^_^

By the way, am I imagining things or
SPOILER: Show
was that a THIRD scarlet twin in the back seat Christopher's TSF? When the cockpit module gets crushed the pod splits open for a second, and I could've sworn I saw a person in there.
[Redacted]

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 am

Just finished URUSEI YATSURA 2: BEAUTIFUL DREAMER.

I think I found my favorite Oshii film. I had no idea he was capable of creating a horror comedy like that.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Yeah I saw the part after the credits. Yui basically has a target painted on her back now. That one Soviet officer whose name I can never remember is still plotting... things and stuff. I never could figure out just what he was trying to accomplish. Apparently the extremist leader is planning to target Japan next? Oh, and you've got to love Cryska's inability to think of other people in anything other than battlefield terms. :lol:

I also agree with what you said about VG and Stella, they're two of my favorite characters. ^_^

By the way, am I imagining things or
was that a THIRD scarlet twin in the back seat Christopher's TSF? When the cockpit module gets crushed the pod splits open for a second, and I could've sworn I saw a person in there.
Is this the part you're talking about?
That scene happens so fast I hadn't noticed anything, but after watching it again it sort of looks like someone is in there.(though it is kind of hard to make out) It makes me think back to one of the earlier episodes when the soviets are harassing Cryska and Inia, but in the next episode Cryska is able to fend them off and has no memory of the day before, I remember wondering at the time if there were 2 Cryskas?( I can't remember if that ever got addressed, why she had no recollection of that) That system/pod that took control of there TSF reminded me of the dummy plug from Eva so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of clone inside.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Return to “Old Stickies”