What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:56 am

I tried a couple of episodes of Katanagatari when it came out and while it didn't do the full Shinbo/SHAFT thing, it too suffered from NisioisiN logorrhea.

Perhaps I should go back and log the series I didn't even make it to the 3-episode (or equivalent) mark with on my MAL.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:"the subject of too much derision on /a/"

Is that even a meaningful way to judge a series?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Generally, yes. There is a surprising amount of truth, I've found, in the accusation that /a/ doesn't talk about good anime.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So, recs?

Checked your MAL and you it looks like you liked Kemonozume. You have it at a 9, same as me. I'd recommend pretty much anything else by the director, Masaaki Yuasa.

Go with Tatami Galaxy if you want a TV series (11 episodes), or Mind Game if you want a movie.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Hating to be a party-pooper here, but I was tacitly implying the same "what to watch on Crunchyroll" as Faz, for similar reasons.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Katanagatari is the only Nisio work I would ever rewatch. 3 episode rule sucks btw because you will miss the glorious troll episode that follows.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:43 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The roster ended up being Saki:the Nationals, Yuki Yuna, Hanasaku Iroha, and Prisma Illya, and really there wasn't a one that inclined me to go on after a couple of episodes. Even Saki has lost the charm it had in the first season, with of embarrassing levels of frankly prurient fan-service in lieu of magical girl mah-jong.

So, recs?

You sound like you're hard to please, out of the mentioned shows I've only watched Hanasaku Iroha but I consider it the best SoL anime I've seen (not that I've seen many). I'll still recommend you Kyousougiga though, I probably sound like a broken record at this point but I feel that this series deserved much more praise than it got and I want to spread the word about how good it is. I don't know if it's up your alley but it's worth giving it a shot, you should drop it if the first few episodes don't charm you, as you probably won't like the rest of it anyway.

Keep in mind that Kyousougiga has an episode 0, which is just an improved version of the OVA that originated the anime and is not part of the series, which confused a lot of people when it was airing because it starts in media res, it's also a bit more "hyper" than the series proper. Watching episode 0 intrigued me and got me interested in the series, though I think it has the opposite effect for some people. You can start from episode 0 or episode 1, but you shouldn't judge it based on episode 0 alone as it's not an entirely accurate sample of what the show is like.

Also, apparently you're into sports anime so I think Ping Pong is a safe recommendation, if you don't have a problem with its peculiar style it's a great show to watch, I don't think it's on Crunchyroll but it's worth going out of your way for this one.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:41 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So, recs?

I also watched Nanana's Buried Treasure on Crunchy recently, a very simple 11 episode anime, good enough to keep watching even if to just kill time. I enjoyed it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:37 am

Cross Ange episode 7

So Salia channels her inner Sailor Moon and it is GLORIOUS! :D Also, Rosalie and Chris finally warm up to Ange after she saves their asses which I assume is something Hilda wouldn't do since she abandons the duo after they acknowledge Ange's coolness in doing so even with a cold. Why is Salia the only one with an issue about Ange spending days in an island with a man, even blushing about it? I SMELL A LOVE TRIANGLE!!! :wink:

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:48 pm

I recall some bitching over Cross Ange taking a dark turn with Ange being subjected to sexual assault. Not sure on the details but honestly I don't care; it looks like a pretty crappy show, and cartoon characters doing nasty things to other cartoon characters is nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Most of the comments I'd seen seemed to view the whole thing as fetish fuel fap fodder (complete with disappointment when Jesus Yamato arrived to turn everything straight).

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:What to watch on Crunchyroll. Preferably something already finished airing just so I can binge.

If “coming of age” is a theme you dig, then I would recommend Silver Spoon (two seasons, 22 eps total) and Erin (50 eps). I see neither is on your MAL.

I picked these up after two recent (and positive) reviews from THEM.
Silver Spoon’s agricultural school-setting alone makes it vastly more interesting and original compared to other shows of its genre; it’s occasionally educational; occasionally funny; character designs are varied and appealing; no fan-service, just clean fun. Unless animal mess is considered unclean fun. Something about S1E4 just makes you want to smile.

Erin’s art style is deceptive for its generally mature tone, reminds me of Now and Then, Here and There, although not nearly as soul-destroying. I’m currently 32 episodes in and it’s been a leisurely paced, but often emotional journey so far, and I’m really not sure where it’ll end up- which is a good thing. There are several time skips as the story progresses, so don’t think you’ll be watching Erin’s happy, village life forever.

Don’t fancy either?: Charlie Brown’s Bizarre Adventure.

Just bear in mind that these are recommendations from someone who once suggested Mr. Tines watch School Days.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:41 pm

I'd second Erin, but be warned the first 7 episodes are glacially paced, and I only made my way through them on the strength of it being an adaptation from the same author as Seirei no Moribito, which I'd enjoyed the previous year.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

I'm confused. B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:20 am

Rage of Bahamut

What the... A clip show seven episodes in?!? Is there only going to be 14?

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'd second Erin, but be warned the first 7 episodes are glacially paced, and I only made my way through them on the strength of it being an adaptation from the same author as Seirei no Moribito, which I'd enjoyed the previous year.

Based on that, I'd say see Sword of the Stranger, but that's not available.

Maybe Rurouni Kenshin? It's alright up into the Kyoto arc, after that it hits the second half with filler hell.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: I'm confused. B/

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Rage of Bahamut

What the... A clip show seven episodes in?!?

Budget problems. Not surprising considering the quality of the animation so far. It was inevitable, the last episode had already toned down a bit the action scenes and a recap episode was the natural next step.

Hopefully they don´t run into any more problems until the end of the anime.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:37 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Silver Spoon’s agricultural school-setting alone makes it vastly more interesting and original compared to other shows of its genre; it’s occasionally educational; occasionally funny; character designs are varied and appealing; no fan-service, just clean fun. Unless animal mess is considered unclean fun. Something about S1E4 just makes you want to smile.

Yeah, Silver Spoon is pretty good, it starts out as a nice comedy but turns into something more part way through, without losing its humorous prowess, the tonal shift is done so subtly that it got me by surprise. The second half of season two is particularly good.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:01 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Yeah, Silver Spoon is pretty good, it starts out as a nice comedy but turns into something more part way through, without losing its humorous prowess, the tonal shift is done so subtly that it got me by surprise. The second half of season two is particularly good.

Seconded. It is one of the most pleasant anime shows of the past few years.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:31 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Erin (50 eps)

Heeeuuuuggghhh...

I also like short anime series.

But I might give it a go.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 pm

I think I mentioned Expelled from Paradise in a thread a while back. The BD was released three days ago around the time of the theater release, so I'm just waiting for subs before I watch it. I might just watch it without subs, though.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I'm confused. B/

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Maybe Rurouni Kenshin? .
I hadn't noticed that being snuck in. I think I shall give it a whirl.

Return to “Old Stickies”