What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:02 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Man, Spanish moe Ideon
Yeah, I can't stop thinking Cosmo when I see pictures of this guy.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 pm

What show is that?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Shingeki no Bahamut. It's based on a video game I think?

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Mobile phone card game.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:12 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:If you are insecure about your manhood you never had one in the first place.

So true I literally put it on my Bookface.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Cross Ange episode 2

IDK why but that Ange/Zola attempted rape scene had me feeling uncomfortable, and I don't usually get that way since I watch a lot of hentai on a daily basis. Either way, the fan service in all other scenes held my interest very naturally. As for Ange's constant denial of her situation, in the end it cost her dearly and I have a feeling that even if she does do well in the next episode, certain bullies are gonna take out the losses on her.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Just got done watching. Holy shit that bridge scene. This is just like my fantasy adventure stories. Also that ED jesus christu. Full song when?

I WILL FOLLLLLLLLLLOW YOU
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Saw it coming really... BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:59 am

Cross Ange episode 2

I laughed when CoCo died. So very, very hard...

Both owing to the manner, and to her name.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:08 pm

...So the first two episodes of Parasyte -the maxim- were pretty awesome. I mean, Kana Hanazawa and Aya Hirano in the same anime? Sign me up.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:32 am

Terror in Resonance

This nagged at me after I'd decided not to bother, and I went back and watched the whole thing in the end.

What a frustrating series! So much good, and so much bad... Basically, the plotting was execrable. The boys' motivations and their response were so out of scale with each other that it was ludicrous, as also was what Five was allowed to get away with, given her position. The political stuff going back to the Japanese defeat in WW-II could have been interesting, but was patched in clumsily.

But many scenes were well done, and justified watching for a while. The character designs were mostly good, though some of the animation was distinctly mediocre. The music was excellent - well, it was by Yoko Kanno, so that was a given.

Was it worth it? Well, maybe not really - but still, there are things I will remember from it, so perhaps. If I had handed it in as a school essay, it would have been marked:

α/γ - see me after class
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:51 am

View Original PostRay wrote:
Shes kind've a Mary Sue. The paragon girl who is perfect at anything and everything the boys can do. Which, maybe was new at the time, but now every other female character is like that. . .

Just hold out until the Black Rose arc, when it starts to venture more into psychoanalytical Eva territory.

SPOILER: Show

I'd also say the Utena becomes more of a deconstruction of a Mary Sue, particularly in later arcs....it's all a matter of endurance to get to that point.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 pm

I finished Victory Gundam. It took me about 4 months to watch, and despite it being 51 episodes long it felt like nothing happened. It had scores of really irritating and weird characters (heavily female this time around, because of reasons), most of whom die. Towards the end I had no clue what was going on with Katejina, though I didn't really understand her in any parts of the show she appeared in. I liked most of the battle scenes though, for whatever that's worth. Maybe that's why I never gave up on it.

I don't know what this adds to the UC timeline, but I don't think I'll ever revisit this to try and find out. Next Gundam up for me is SEED.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:57 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The Unlimited Blade Works adaptation does seem to be off to a great start. Watched the prologue with wife and even she's interested.

The first episode of Fate/Zero killed me with boredom. Is it more of the same?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:The first episode of Fate/Zero killed me with boredom. Is it more of the same?
No.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I finished Victory Gundam. It took me about 4 months to watch, and despite it being 51 episodes long it felt like nothing happened. It had scores of really irritating and weird characters (heavily female this time around, because of reasons), most of whom die. Towards the end I had no clue what was going on with Katejina, though I didn't really understand her in any parts of the show she appeared in. I liked most of the battle scenes though, for whatever that's worth. Maybe that's why I never gave up on it.

I don't know what this adds to the UC timeline, but I don't think I'll ever revisit this to try and find out. Next Gundam up for me is SEED.

A lot of Katejina's motivation is explained in the first episode actually. You can read up on it if you are interested

post/580133/Gundam-In-All-Its-Incarnations/#580133

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:G Reco Episode 3

The Capital Army certainly has a... creative approach to putting someone "under arrest" or "guarding" secret equipment.

At first I thought it was just the cheerleaders falling under some " well, they're in a skirt" clause for how able they are in getting people in and out of custody.

But no, the Capital Army is just like this all the time it seems. Going by the preview, it seems the Ameria people will be the same way.

Maybe it's like an honor system that everyone expects, but no one follows?

A bit late response but after ep 4 I'm starting to feel confident about what's going on.

They put Aida in a prison tower until they realized she was an Amerian. The plates on Aida's G-Self identified her both as a registered and independent unit in the Ameria's army therefore she demanded to be treated according to accepted POW agreement, dumbly giving herself away that she is not in fact a pirate as she initially claimed. Apparently, in this case, they can't treat her as a criminal, but should call for sanctions on the representative country/party instead, especially after this week's episode it turned out that she is actually the daughter of a high profile Amerian.

Later Klim threatened to destroy the elevator, so the Colonel decides to hand out Aida but sends Bellri along to investigate the G-Self and likely to confirm the pirates doing/hiding as well as also providing an excuse to militarise an army.

I'm fairly certain the Colonel is scheming big and part of it was letting her and Bellri go. Bell's mom is as good as dead since they're going to need a scapegoat for a war to start, and framing Bell's mom is step 1.

Anyhow, episode 4 was great. Good to see Tomino hasn't lost his touch when it comes to mecha chorography. I was at the edge of my seat during the combat.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:35 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:A lot of Katejina's motivation is explained in the first episode actually. You can read up on it if you are interested

post/580133/Gundam-In-All-Its-Incarnations/#580133
This was really helpful (in that it helped me understand a wonky Tomino character as much as one is able to), I started watching V so long ago and took so many "breaks" that the Katejina from early on is something of a hazy memory. Thanks.

Seconding comments on G Reco 04. That fight at the end, good lord.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:41 am

A couple of seasons ago I replied to a post about WIXOSS's first episode, which said it had a strong Madoka vibe, saying that I didn't really feel it. I kind of have to eat my hat on that one, as the show did turn out to be seemingly influenced by Madoka in several ways.

I hope I won't be making the opposite mistake this time when I say that Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru has a very strong Madoka vibe. From artistic choices to thematic choices, this project smells like it would never have happened if Madoka wasn't created. That said, I won't judge it too harshly for that. The first two episodes were kind of fun, and if they do decide to go the Madoka route then I'm anxious to see what kind of SUFFERING we're in for.

I'm also watching like 15 other shows this season, but none of them are particularly worth commenting on, except maybe UBW and Parasyte. Rhinos and dickhands abound.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:53 am

Everyone keeps talking about Parasyte. Guess I'll have to watch it -- better than cockroaches from Mars.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Eleven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Eleven » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:04 am

I binge-watched Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika yesterday. It couldn't live up to its immense hype, but I cried. Me crying because of a movie or series is a rare event and some kind of personal quality seal. :wink:

I am thinking about watching the movies, of wich I heard that the first two are simply retelling the story, but the third one provides a new / different ending with a big twist. I was (more or less) satisfied with the TV ending.
Will I therefore regret watching the third movie? Is there any point in watching the first two?
I apologize for any grammar mistakes, as I am not a native speaker.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:24 am

I've not watched the first two movies, but my understanding of the consensus is that they add nothing, and don't give any different spin on the series. The third is absolutely gorgeous visually, but I found the way it fucked with the conclusion already reached to be a travesty, and done in an unsatisfying way at that (too sudden and unconvincing a change in Homura's behaviour - though many disagree). If you decide to watch it, do find an opportunity to listen to the two versions of the sound track, though - some of the differences in characterisation are interesting in themselves (and then, the different music at the end).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Old Stickies”