Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:05 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Me after the OVA: ;____;

What a time for my usual source of these things to be down for days as the result of an extended DDOS attack (from Japan, apparently)!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:What a time for my usual source of these things to be down for days as the result of an extended DDOS attack (from Japan, apparently)!

Yeah, we have the same source as most of the people here I assume. Was the attack really from Japan? I guess they had enough of the gaijin disregarding their copyrights. :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:10 am

I've seen network traces showing clearly that it was from Japan. However, the conspiracy theory that it was the Japanese government no less is not widely accepted. Japan is a good place for anyone to mount a DDOS attack from because of the widespread prevalence of fast FTTH connections.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:10 am

Perfect. ;_;
It felt like it should feel. Not and ending to the series, but a good bye. Beautiful, funny, AWESOME action.
I feel kinda sad now, but hey, we might get the TTGL crossover!
It has been fun. Thanks Nakashima, Imaishi, Sushio and everyone at Trigger.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:31 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:However, the conspiracy theory that it was the Japanese government no less is not widely accepted. Japan is a good place for anyone to mount a DDOS attack from because of the widespread prevalence of fast FTTH connections.

I was joking about the copyright thing but if I were to believe any conspiracy theory I'd go with a coalition of anime producers rather than the Japanese government.

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 pm

Just finished the OVA. I enjoyed all the Rei. Mots we've seen of her in the whole show. Plus she actually had more than one line.

Satsuki still best.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm

View Original PostQuadhonk wrote:Satsuki still best.

Ryuko best. ;)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

The OVA was very good, unlike a lot of OVAs it wasn't just a fanservice episode and it actually explored what happened after the end of the series. Calling it episode 25 is really appropriate.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:50 pm

^ Haven't watched it yet - I will when I get home from work - but reading that excites me more than anything! I wouldn't say I was worried but I was concerned for a while that the OVA would've been nothing more than "Kill La Kill: The Obligatory Beach Volleyball Episode Every Anime Gives You At Some Point"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:33 pm

So darn good. I was smiling throughout the entire thing-- this may be the most satisfactory ending in an anime that I've seen in a while. It addressed some really important points, and was good catharsis on a lot of levels.

SPOILER: Show
GIANT ROBOT CONFIRMED

Also, that EoE reference. :lol:
An unknown object is approaching at high speed! (They even used the word yari.)

A little disappointed that we're not going to get a beach episode, but this was a more than acceptable substitute.

WAY STATUS: NOT LOST [X] :klkmako: :klkmako: :klkmako:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:15 pm

That was perfect. What a farewell. I'm a puddle of tears here. Just as I was about to get a bit over it here comes the OVA to remind me again how much fun this series was. I'm not one to share personal things so easily but I try and articulate my emotional opinion here.

This show was something I honestly looked forward to each week. Ever since the announcement in the Newtype issue and reading Imaishi and Nakashima's interview that just sparkled of joy and primed with hype, I was thoroughly interested in the project. It will come to no surprise to anyone here when I say, once the ball started rolling there wasn't a single day I wouldn't think about it and I guess that will hold on for a long. It came at the time when I felt a bit depressed - hard job, family problems, loneliness, lack of interest in anything beyond the minimum. It was a phase were I started to get jaded by anime, when I began to lose the childish excitement I always connected with the medium.

But then Kill la Kill punched itself into my life, and I enjoyed it as a whole so much that to this day I still can't exactly pin down why exactly.

The animation wasn't too great, it was even laughable at times. The story itself, although intriguing, wasn't anything I hadn't seen or read before. The references to music, other media and pop culture was clever at times and blunt at others. The characters, I will readily admit, did suit my tastes to the T, but they were not particular complex or anything. However, I think the overall greatness of this show was just how exciting it felt and how entertaining the story was told.

You can tell that the staff put their heart into it, it was the studios money-baby and all of it's hopes and dreams put into a rocket ship and sent to Earth in hopes of survival. It wasn't just some generic light novel high school garbage. It was a callback to the old times when people still cared about entertaining the masses with every inch of their talent and money didn't rule everything. The finer details would escape anybody who was looking for flaws or were too bored to notice the care that went into making it's overall shine sparkle.

I won't claim this to be some kind of masterpiece or underrated gem. I totally understand when people can't get into it and I won't say this show is perfect for anybody to watch or has some grant artistic merit. I will say it hooked me because it had heart and it was fun.

It was genuinely fun.

Kill la Kill had me hooked in by it's overall charisma and the excitement I felt each week waiting for an episode. Every Thursday would become the highlight of my week, starting with following the live streams with others and then watching it subbed again often even twice or more. I would speculate and argue with fags on /a/ every day, I would scavenge fanworks and save every single picture that was remotely good looking and I even started to draw again. For people who don't know, once upon a time I made my master in art & design even wanted to become a fashion designer myself at one point. I would look out for interesting blog posts or discussions on message boards I never even went to before, try to decipher Japanese twitter posts with my laughable moon skills and decide to finally learn the language myself. I never had siblings but this show also teached me what sisterly love must feel like. It motivated me, steeled my resolve and it had a cheesy yet effective message I would inherit as my personal mantra that I can tell myself whenever I struggle

don't lose your way

So yeah, it was fun. It never tried to be very deep or explicitly something it isn't, it was just fun. I had the same flow of emotions that I felt watching a Saturday morning cartoon when I was a kid. I would run through my room in excitement and pretend to be one of the heroes fighting the evil while the pictures flickered through the screen and it felt simply good to be interested in something like that intently again.

I'm not sure of any other way to say it but I guess it's simply love.

I will never forget this time and for that I have to thank Trigger and will say this

perhaps Kill la Kill didn't save anime but it did save me.

*wipes away his own tears*
*salutes*

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:24 pm

That was beautiful. :lol:
I can identify with that. This series reminds of my childhood, getting excited buying the Dragon Ball comics, and especially today it has made me feel really good in a shitty part of my life.

A beautiful series.

Here, a ...more epic version of your pic I guess. Spent far too much time on this. xD

Edit: I LOVE how
the moment Ryuko is crushed by Senketsu's death and the moment she accepts it are similar visually, when she's falling down.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 pm

That OVA...

That was...

That was a Gunbuster tier ending.

VERDICT: I found my way.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:59 am

Lots to like, as everyone says. But it felt incompatible with the previous ending. We've already seen the girls having a normal life together; but now the normal life is only just returning and they're off (well, Ryuuko is) to live their lives independently.

I especially loved Ryuuko's expressions throughout this - when she congratulates Satsuki on pacifying Rei, and when she's leaving with Mako particularly.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:01 am

Although, we note from episode 24 that Ryuko and Mako react to Satsuki like they haven't seen her in a while. That would seem to jive with the OVA, where Satsuki says that she can see Ryuko whenever she wants. Or was there something that you saw that I missed?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 am

There is that, though I felt that was more in her mind's eye than walking down the road with an ice cream.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:25 am

I don't know what to say other than this was probably my favorite episode of Kill la Kill.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:38 am

Now this thread is in anime and manga? I'm not even sure if "better late than never" applies here.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:There is that, though I felt that was more in her mind's eye than walking down the road with an ice cream.

Why? There was no good reason for them to never see each other again.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Now this thread is in anime and manga? I'm not even sure if "better late than never" applies here.

I only just found out this new thing was released because I noticed this thread in the anime and manga subforum.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Huh, why is this thread now in the anime section? :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke:

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:

Is there a full size of it?

I didn't realise it but it's actually TTGL parallel

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:There is that, though I felt that was more in her mind's eye than walking down the road with an ice cream.

Trigger said before that the OVA would answer whether Satsuki and Ryuuko would live together or not and I'm satisfied with the way they handle it. The sisters are independent from each other but they can meet up whenever they want just like real grown ups.

The epilogue of episode 24 is the promised date and the start to a new life. They hadn't seen each other before hence the surprise about Satsuki's new hair cut, which btw wasn't just some gratuitous CHARACTER DEVOLPMENT but actually meaningful and a necessity after her side lock got cut.

What's so great about the OVA is that it bridged the gap between the old and the new Satsuki. We see her emptiness after her life goal has been fulfilled which is no easy thing to get used to when you just devoted your entire life for one cause. She didn't know what to do but then comes Rei, a character that gets finally some spotlight and who now also lacks a purpose after her "light" is gone. Satsuki understands what kind of horrible life she must have had to endure, after all, her life wasn't exactly easy either which is crucial to her decision to invest her resolve in a new goal.

And I liked that it clarified Satsuki did not just become a doting moe neesan. She's still all business and is going to use her leadership skills to create a better world with the help of Hououmaru but now she can also enjoy her life without any fears. By the end she trully has put her sword away. It also addressed how Rei was compatible with Absolute Domination by explaining her life fiber affinity. If I may say so, they made terrific use of Rei's character.

It was hilaroius to see the four Devas being annoyed by their own personalities and it was great how the fake Devas weren't just simply life fiber puppets but actual a creation from the tyranny. They literally had to face up their old ways and beat them with what they had learned.

Also something I forgot to mention, the school Mako says they are going to after they leave Honnouji is the same high school Gama went to and is in the same town Gama is going to work at.

And I loved how Senketsu is still there living on in Ryuuko's heart. I really felt depressed about that after episode 24 but this OVA made me happy that he isn't completely gone.

"I guess sailor uniforms really are something you grow out of some day!
But the days you spend wearing them don't go anywhere!"

fantastic

oh, did I mention that the school turned into a GIANT FUCKING MECHA!?

seriously that was a wonderful graduation

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Studio Trigger”