All Studio Trigger stuff goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 29, 2014 5:43 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Man, I can't wait to hear Nui and Ragyou.

Ah, I forgot about voicing those two. Ugh. :irked:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:06 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Aniplex LE and Japanese are the same except Japanese volume has only 2 episodes and they pay something around 80$. There are also no subs. So yes, US release is cheaper.

I'll thik about which set to buy then. It won't be in the near future anyways. The Japanese ones are more beautiful I'd say.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu May 29, 2014 6:28 pm

They are exactly the same looking. My only concern is if the Aniplex BDs are region free. Some of their releases are, some are not.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 pm

^ Didn't the Japanese edition have genga or something like that? This one has postal cards.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Aniplex LE and Japanese are the same except Japanese volume has only 2 episodes and they pay something around 80$. There are also no subs. So yes, US release is cheaper.

You're serious, 80$ for a two episodes BD!? :cringe:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:^ Didn't the Japanese edition have genga or something like that? This one has postal cards.

I thought you meant the box. You are right, there is a booklet that comes with illustrations.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You're serious, 80$ for a two episodes BD!? :cringe:

What's the matter? Is our gaijin to poor to afford glorious Nihongo animation?

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Thu May 29, 2014 9:44 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You're serious, 80$ for a two episodes BD!? :cringe:

That's how much Japanese BD prices are, usually. Anyway, Kill la Kill's two-cour, so the episode count is three after volume 1: nine volumes in total.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:06 pm

ANN did a series in 2012 on the anime economy and part 2 explains the Japanese DVD pricing.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri May 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Honestly, i'm willing to plunge down cash for the LE sets. You get the Blu-Ray only soundtrack discs, some goodies and the episodes. Just a bit of a shame they're pricy but i'm okay with sacrificing other purchases so I can get some KlK goodness in my personal collection while giving the right people the right money.

dubbing should be phased out altogether

fuck that. If i'm just really lazy one slow afternoon and want to enjoy anime I love but don't necessarily want to read subs so I can give the visuals my full attention, i'll just flip the English dub on and chill out, even if the English VAs are a bit inferior to the original Japanese VAs.

Yeah i've gotten to the point I can easily watch things subbed but if i'm multitasking and want to enjoy anime, English dubs are a great way to watch something without totally paying attention to it in the middle of working on something as well. Plus personally, my brain plays really strange tricks on me when I watch animation with non-English audio. It just doesn't quite feel right no matter how great the foreign language voice acting is.

Live action dubbing can go fuck itself though unless it's like Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 30, 2014 6:35 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:If i'm just really lazy one slow afternoon and want to enjoy anime I love but don't necessarily want to read subs so I can give the visuals my full attention, i'll just flip the English dub on and chill out, even if the English VAs are a bit inferior to the original Japanese VAs.

I feel ya on what you're saying, but have you heard this dub yet? :huh:

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri May 30, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:have you heard this dub yet?

Yeah. It only sounds like shit because the original VAs were incredibly immaculate in their roles, so anything below that would be a hard act to follow and look like trash if it turned out to be anything less than incredible, which seems to be the case.

In terms of English dubs in general, its nothing like genuine ass like the dubbed version of the Megaman X4 cutscenes or just straight up bored like the Ghost in the Shell movie dub. Its just adequate at most, though Nonon's English VA is uncanny.

But overall, I expect the dub to get better when we get deep into the show, much like KlK itself.
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 31, 2014 5:23 am

I will obviously get the LE, but that trailer was physically painful to listen to. Nonon was good, Mikisugi was alright, but the rest were terrible. That was 90s-era bad, and that's appalling on a work with this much buzz and hype associated with it. I can't imagine the casting director watched the original, there's just no way to get it so horribly wrong otherwise.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat May 31, 2014 2:07 pm

Here is a little bit info from a Trigger panel and recent late night event

• Trigger's future anime plans: Light novel adaptation in the fall, then LWA 2, Ninja Slayer, then Imaishi's next anime
  • Trigger would love to do a mecha anime in the future
  • They asked for suggestions for Trigger merchandise. Lots of suggestions for Guts merchandise and someone suggested a Takarada piggy bank. They were genuinely baffled why he's so popular in America (Captialism, ho!)
  • Yoshinari favorite LWA is Diana because "she's serious"
  • Yoshinari is Diana and Imaishi is Akko
  • Yoshinari likes Simon because he's a mirror image of Imaishi and he likes Imaishi but he's not gay (lol)
  • Nakashima is working on a Kill la Kill novel
  • Nakashima & Imaishi will definitely work together again in the future
  • At some point, Ragyou was the DAD. They invisioned him voiced by Keiji Fujiwara (oh my god)
  • They seriously considered killing Gamagoori
  • We will learn why Satsuki cut her hair in ep 25, and hopefully more about Hououmaru
  • While ep 24 is the end of the story of Kill la Kill, ep 25 will be the end of individual character arcs
  • Episode 25 isn't just an extra, it's a real continuation for episode 24. The big question "ARE RYUUKO AND SATSUKI LIVING TOGETHER" is finally going to get answered
  • The fourth drama CD is a serious story; it was at one point part of the actual TV show. It's the full tale of the month between episodes 18 and 19. It's about Nudist Beach and the Four Devas, but it's narrated from Senketsu's point of view.

Through the design process Ryuuko was:
-an abandoned street orphan who lived by playing the guitar
-a figure skater
-literally the girl from Sukeban Deka
-a straightforward rich ojousama

I'll post more regarding Ryuuko and the designs with the big character designer interview.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat May 31, 2014 2:16 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:that trailer was physically painful to listen to.

Now go back and rewatch Garzey's Wing. At worst, the KlK dub is on the same level as the English dubs for Genocyber, Mad Bull 34 and the old Guyver series, minus the needless profanity of the first two.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat May 31, 2014 3:52 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:but that trailer was physically painful to listen to.

Was it really that painful?
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:22 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Was it really that painful?

Not as painful as most are making it out to be, but still kinda grating for people who were big fans of the sub, myself included. It's a really difficult series to dub because the original voices were just spot-on.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat May 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Yeah I actually looked it up, it's pretty bad. The worst offenders in my opinion are Mako and Senketsu. I also get the feeling that this dub is going to be heavily localized.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 31, 2014 5:53 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:Now go back and rewatch Garzey's Wing. At worst, the KlK dub is on the same level as the English dubs for Genocyber, Mad Bull 34 and the old Guyver series, minus the needless profanity of the first two.

. . . and those are all terrible as well. The "average" U.S. dub is terrible. The bar is very low over here because animation dubbing is not given the credibility it has in Japan, and so most VAs are nowhere near as good. It's true that expectations are high with this show, but that's inevitable given the hype that made it a prospect for overseas distribution in the first place. Aniplex should have known about this, and they should have pulled out all the stops to make it the best it could possibly be. Instead they treated it as just another project, and as a result its chances of fizzling here are pretty high.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat May 31, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:It's a really difficult series to dub because the original voices were just spot-on.

pretty much this. people are so used to the original Japanese VAs, anything that isn't them is pretty much sacrilege in their eyes, even if the dub was abnormally good.

Plus we're just judging three damn minutes of footage, so i'm sure once we get to the parts of KlK that fucking matter, the English VAs will step up their game.

The "average" U.S. dub is terrible.

which won't be fixed until the people directing the dubs treat everything with grace. like having actual movie directors directing VAs.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 pm

Gamagoori is downright lousy, and Satsuki sounds like she came right out of a bad 90s dub. Ryuko sounds flatter than a banana squished by an elephant. Sanageyama and Inumuta are unremarkable, and although I like Sanageyama's accent, the guy just doesn't have any of the emotion.

Nonon - not bad, she actually seems to have a slight hiss in her voice. Aikuro - not bad in his "old man" voice, not bad at all. But what does he sound like when he's going "ping pong circulate"?

Mako and Senketsu - UGH, they're the worst imaginable!

Overall, it really is lousy. I find myself agreeing with most of the commentators going around here. And while it may have been only 3 minutes of dub, the fact is that the show itself managed to sell its characters and its setting in just about as much time. Aikuro with his "old sensei" voice, Gamagoori and Satsuki with the sheer thunder they brought, Ryuko with that "Yankee" hiss. There's just none of that in the dub.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Studio Trigger”