Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AsukaisLiterallyMe
Embryo

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaisLiterallyMe » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:54 pm

Liked a Sayla Mass picture on Pixiv, which means I've been bombarded by art that directly caters to my nostalgia. Might pickup Zeta Gundam again.

Dropped it when I saw it was still featuring: an obnoxious MC, melodrama silliness (I like some melodrama but not that much),and more instances where I can see where the original's author's vision ends and the tv people's meddling begins.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:48 am

Been slowly getting into the Gundam grid as the months and years go on; as I'm writing this I decided to fire the torpedos and watch CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK with barely any context. Very happy with my decision.

Laughing my ass off that there's Looney Tunes SFX in it.

A shame I never got Gundampilled back in the 2010s. Like back when this thread was new. Oh well.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:52 am

O boy, welcome to the rabbit hole. I have so far successfully avoided CCA on grounds of really not vibing with old Tomino's style of directing, but it's on the chopping block sooner or later
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 am

Tomino's too based for me to hate him. No matter if he's good or bad, I'm just happy he did so much work where it's obvious he worked on it.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm

I really loved Turn A, so when he's good, he's GOOD, but all the earlier stuff of his that I tried beforehand had too sluggish a pacing and too much nothing of note happening for me to get into. I'm gonna get back on that eventually (I survived Victory, can't be much worse than that), but for now, other things sound like a much better time lol
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:07 pm

Try his non-Gundam stuff if you ever get a moment. I have a hunch Ideon's gonna make you have second thoughts.

AsukaisLiterallyMe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaisLiterallyMe » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:49 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Been slowly getting into the Gundam grid as the months and years go on; as I'm writing this I decided to fire the torpedos and watch CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK with barely any context. Very happy with my decision.

Laughing my ass off that there's Looney Tunes SFX in it.

A shame I never got Gundampilled back in the 2010s. Like back when this thread was new. Oh well.

Oh right there was a reason why I was forcing myself through the melodrama, Char's Counter Attack.

Sigh.

Back to the hole eventually.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:21 pm

There are no brakes on the Witch train, holy shit.
The visuals of the new OP and ED have SO MANY implications

AsukaisLiterallyMe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaisLiterallyMe » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:47 pm

Is Witch from Mercury the one where one of its characters punches someone so hard they get brain damage?

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:53 pm

This episode was good but felt awfully fast paced to me. Like I was surprised how quickly we went from those girls joining the school to already trying to kill people.

View Original PostAsukaisLiterallyMe wrote:Is Witch from Mercury the one where one of its characters punches someone so hard they get brain damage?
Witch From Mercury is the one with a Witch that is from the planet Mercury.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:01 pm

View Original PostAsukaisLiterallyMe wrote:Is Witch from Mercury the one where one of its characters punches someone so hard they get brain damage?

I don't think there was brain damage, but otherwise you're right.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:08 pm

Found out that someone did a scanlation for the Gundam X manga including Newtype Warrior Jamil Neate and Next Prologue and also Gigantis' Counterattack, gave those a read.
the X stuff is a decent fast-forward through the show with some nice art (although in doing so unfortunately guts the parts of the show that live off of having a slower pacing, if they are included at all); the two sidestories were neat(e), but ultimately nothing special.

Gigantis Counterattack meanwhile is a giant shitpost about Amuro, Char and Judao fighting the actual Ideon that Zeon remnants dug up on an asteroid somewhere and, while funny, is not precisely something that I can give a read recommendation to :tongue:

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:14 am

I finished the Turn A compilation movies. They're not good at representing the show really, far too choppy and from what I can tell are made entirely from pre-existing footage. The beginning of the first movie that goes up until the Turn A itself actually appears is noticeably bad I think- I thought the show elided over too much here but the movie is just ridiculously frenetic. When things slow down though the movies occasionally work and it makes me wonder if this might have worked lot better as a trilogy.

Time to move on to the G-Reco, uh, quintology?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Yeah, recap movies are rarely good; only examples I've seen myself that did it right were the Nanoha ones and very specific parts of the Age Memory of Eden duology (specifically the rewrite of the start, which was great, and the somewhat successful attempt at salvaging the end, the rest was positively atrocious); although I hear that the G Reco movies are a significant improvement over the show, and the bits of them that I've seen do fall in line with that. although by the same token, given how much of G Reco's problems were structural, I'll need to wait and see how much they're able to fix

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:29 am

This week's G-Witch, holy heck.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:This week's G-Witch, holy heck.

It was so good!

SPOILER: Show
Prospera is now a confirmed Gendo
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:23 pm

Yeah for real. We've gone from Utena to EVA!!!!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:35 pm

Yeah uh
[ [ A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A ] ]
My money is on Quiet Zero bein something akin to Angel Halo, remote-controlling people's minds through Gund. Also HOLY FUCK Sophie is dead, HOLY FUCK that delivery of Norea's last line and HOLY FUCK THE EVERYTHING.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:56 pm

Doing a fucking Victory Gundam plotline would be pretty funny in a way tbh, but I'd trust this show to do it well.

It would put the Aerial having such a V2ish color scheme (Honestly in both seasons) in different light too.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:41 pm

Speaking of plot devices from other Gundam shows, the title for next week's episode, "Father and Child" is the same title for an episode in Zeta when Kamille's dad get's killed.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Anime and Manga”