Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:00 pm

IBO is great, and ep 13 was especially so - yes the start was weepy, but justifiably so, and well done IMO. As for romance, well, it's awkward at those ages, so that's enough to cover most instances of its awkwardness in the show.

Thunderbolt - meh. Lots of blown up mobile suits, and not a lot to show for it. The remaining episodes will have to do a lot of work to make something worthwhile of it, I feel. (Next ep, sometime in Feb, it seems.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:34 pm

One of the things about Thunderbolt that I didn't like was that the mobile suits appeared to be super advanced for UC 0079. I realize that the multiple shields and other items were more for getting through the debris field than enemy fire, but it seems too much. In fact the best description I have for the show is immature.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Gundam Unicorn is getting a TV anime adaption. It will start airing this April. No word yet if it is a brand new adaption or if it will be a simple TV edit from the movies.

Curious to see if this TV series will adapt the new Unicorn novel.....
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:12 pm

I read the ANN article. If this is supposed to be a reedit of the OVAs, how the hell can they get 2 cours worth of episodes from what's available? By my estimate, I could only get 14 or 15 episodes out of the 7 OVAs, and that's not taking the new OPs & Eds into consideration. And it doesn't appear that they'll be making new animation for this either.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:34 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I read the ANN article. If this is supposed to be a reedit of the OVAs, how the hell can they get 2 cours worth of episodes from what's available? By my estimate, I could only get 14 or 15 episodes out of the 7 OVAs, and that's not taking the new OPs & Eds into consideration. And it doesn't appear that they'll be making new animation for this either.

I forget the exact runtime, and can't easily find it now, but IIRC my math placed it at around 19 standard length episodes. When you add in OP and ED for each you could easily stretch it to a couple of short cours (10-12 eps each). I don't see them getting a full 26 eps out of it but 22-24 should be doable.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I read the ANN article. If this is supposed to be a reedit of the OVAs, how the hell can they get 2 cours worth of episodes from what's available? By my estimate, I could only get 14 or 15 episodes out of the 7 OVAs, and that's not taking the new OPs & Eds into consideration. And it doesn't appear that they'll be making new animation for this either.

You probably missed the part where it says that there will be new animation footage.

''The anime is being reedited for the television version, and it will also feature a new opening and ending theme with new animated footage.''

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-20/gundam-uc-anime-gets-tv-broadcast-with-new-opening-ending-themes/.98914

I didn't post the link before because i reported the news when it appeared on Japanese blogs (which also confirm new scenes). Since this is a 2-cour anime it will probably have 24-26 episodes, so unless they add new scenes, the existing material won't be enough. Also, there will be a new line of Gunpla based on the TV Series. It's a shame though that this will be an edit and not a faithful adaption of the novels. This is simply a promotion for the new novel.

But hey, Japanese will love this. The ratings of IBO are flopping, the BD/DVD sales are bad and the it's gunpla line isn't doing so well either. Japanese doesn't seem to like it so much but there is a rumor about a second season so who knows. Maybe Sunrise will green-light a second season based on the reception from the west just like it happened with Build Fighters.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 am

That reads to me as if the new footage is for the new OP and ED - though I agree it's not entirely unambiguous.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:27 am

Agreed that that reads as new OP and ED, and edited content from the OVAs (probably rearranged so that it makes sense in an episodic format). Don't see anything indicating new content there.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:12 am

Voice actor Junichi Kanemaru confirmed on Twitter that Chiaki Morosawa has passed away. She was the co-creator and main writer of the Gundam SEED series, which was directed by her husband Mitsuo Fukuda. They also worked on Gear Fighter Dendoh together.

Gundam Seed is one of the best Gundam series. She revitalized Gundam and the overall mecha genre when both were dead/dying and made the CE the best and favorite era of the Gundam fans after UC.

RIP.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Two quarters is 6 months, that's 24 episodes. (24eps x 21min each = 504mins). The OVA's have a total run time of 437min.

504 - 437 = 67min

Are we getting more than an hour worth of new scenes?!?! That's like another episode.. :uhh:

Voice actor Junichi Kanemaru confirmed on Twitter that Chiaki Morosawa has passed away. She was the co-creator and main writer of the Gundam SEED series, which was directed by her husband Mitsuo Fukuda.

View Original PostDima wrote:Gundam Seed is one of the best Gundam series. She revitalized Gundam and the overall mecha genre when both were dead/dying and made the CE the best and favorite era of the Gundam fans after UC.

RIP.

I am really sad about this, do we know the cause of death?

I really enjoyed Gundam Seed growing up and it's my favorite Gundam series out of them all. It also had the best mech designs and the best openings/endings. Sigh.. Sad :(

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:45 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I am really sad about this, do we know the cause of death?

Unfortunately, she was ill since the Gundam SEED Destiny days.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:10 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Gundam Seed is one of the best Gundam series. She revitalized Gundam and the overall mecha genre when both were dead/dying and made the CE the best and favorite era of the Gundam fans after UC.

All of that's highly debatable, but even so it's sad her illness has taken its toll. I hope her friends and family are doing okay.

View Original PostStan wrote:Two quarters is 6 months, that's 24 episodes. (24eps x 21min each = 504mins). The OVA's have a total run time of 437min.

504 - 437 = 67min

Are we getting more than an hour worth of new scenes?!?! That's like another episode.. :uhh:

Don't forget we'll get 17 additional episodes of OP and ED credits, which is somewhere around 51 minutes. If they put together a clip show for the beginning of the second cour that would take care of it. Or they just start it a week late and run 11 episodes instead of 12 . . . that happens all the time.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:14 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Don't forget we'll get 17 additional episodes of OP and ED credits, which is somewhere around 51 minutes. If they put together a clip show for the beginning of the second cour that would take care of it. Or they just start it a week late and run 11 episodes instead of 12 . . . that happens all the time.

So I guess it's safe to pretty much assume we're not getting any new scenes for the most part :/
(Not counting the OP/ED/Next episode preview/and a potential mid season recap).

Yup, this seems totally pointless. Normally Gundam does a recap in the form of movies that are based on the TV series --- but in this case they did the opposite by making an anime series based on the "movies".

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:30 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:So I guess it's safe to pretty much assume we're not getting any new scenes for the most part :/
(Not counting the OP/ED/Next episode preview/and a potential mid season recap).

Yup, this seems totally pointless. Normally Gundam does a recap in the form of movies that are based on the TV series --- but in this case they did the opposite by making an anime series based on the "movies".

I find it hard to believe that there will not be new scenes at all but i wouldn't expect anything major. For example, the beginning and ending of each episode should be altered otherwise the pace will seem off, so there might be a new scene or two in there.

BTW, funny that 3 pages back i was discussing about a potential Unicorn TV series with some members and how many episodes would be if there was one . For example, a member said it would be an one cour anime, so 12 episodes (lol). The other said it would be around 19-20 episodes. Well, now we know that a simple edit will be a two-cour series . For the record, i said that a faithful adaption of the novel would be around 50 episodes (the novel is different from the OVA) so it seems i was right ^_^ , since a simple edit of the OVAs(which cut tons of content from the novel) will end up being 22-26 episodes.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Unfortunately, she was ill since the Gundam SEED Destiny days.

IIRC, it was one of the reasons that SEED never got the concluding movie that was spoken about back then. Guess it'll really never happen now. :(
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:IIRC, it was one of the reasons that SEED never got the concluding movie that was spoken about back then. Guess it'll really never happen now. :(

Yep. I remember she said that the scenario was already complete but her illness was causing delays. After the success of the HD versions of SEED and Destiny(based on the BD sales), i was really expecting that will hear again about the movie but now the chances are basically 0.

For what is worth, Fukuda in fall 2014 wrote this on Twitter "There has been some trouble with Cross Ange's schedule. A lot of people came to help, but work related to SEED has gotten into an urgent state of affairs. No New Year's for me." And in summer 2015, he posted again something similar (about work related to SEED). But this could mean anything, so don't get your hopes up. Movie was announced in 2006. 10 years have passed and i don't see why it will happen, especially after today's news. What i don't understand, is why Sunrise doesn't come out and declare the project dead once and for all.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:55 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Yep. I remember she said that the scenario was already complete but her illness was causing delays. After the success of the HD versions of SEED and Destiny(based on the BD sales), i was really expecting that will hear again about the movie but now the chances are basically 0.

For what is worth, Fukuda in fall 2014 wrote this on Twitter "There has been some trouble with Cross Ange's schedule. A lot of people came to help, but work related to SEED has gotten into an urgent state of affairs. No New Year's for me." And in summer 2015, he posted again something similar (about work related to SEED). But this could mean anything, so don't get your hopes up. Movie was announced in 2006. 10 years have passed and i don't see why it will happen, especially after today's news. What i don't understand, is why Sunrise doesn't come out and declare the project dead once and for all.

It will all come down to how far along the project is. If it's already being worked on, I think it will be competed and released eventually (whenever that will be).
However, if all they have is that scenario, on paper, and nothing else -- I don't think it will happen at this point. I think it actually would be better if the project would be put to rest with everything that's been going on in the last decade.

Somehow I think we shouldn't look to too much or expect anything major from those tweets. (inb4 SEED movie announced a few pages later lol).

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:22 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Somehow I think we shouldn't look to too much or expect anything major from those tweets. (inb4 SEED movie announced a few pages later lol).

Heh. Some strange things are happening in this board, i am telling you. Few pages back, i write a post about how Sunrise should adapt more UC in anime and poof! Gundam Thunderbolt is announced. 3 pages back, we are discussing about a Unicorn TV anime and how many episodes it could be and guess what. Gundam Unicorn TV is announced! In the general anime thread, i said that there is almost no chance of a new Berserk anime and days later, a new anime adaption is announced......

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:39 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Heh. Some strange things are happening in this board, i am telling you. Few pages back, i write a post about how Sunrise should adapt more UC in anime and poof! Gundam Thunderbolt is announced. 3 pages back, we are discussing about a Unicorn TV anime and how many episodes it could be and guess what. Gundam Unicorn TV is announced! In the general anime thread, i said that there is almost no chance of a new Berserk anime and days later, a new anime adaption is announced......

Wacky shit eh... I think I better start talking about the Bleach anime again :p

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 pm

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Anime and Manga”