Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Rather not. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 am

View Original PostDima wrote:No you can't. OVA doesn't refer only to the animation effort but also to the writing quality in terms of pacing.

That isn't point at quality, that's a parameter: "write a story that fits x minutes instead of y".

To say anime with longer runtimes are somehow inherently *better* than those with shorter would completely ignore how entire genres make using short run times an art form.

Gundam Unicorn has a series runtime just short of a 22 episode anime. With some adjustments, it could very well have been adapted that way, or even shorter if need be.

For example a Unicorn TV series adaption could never work with fewer than 50 episodes.

Based on what? There's no reason to think you couldn't get the same plot points across in three ~22 minute segments vs one ~50 minute segment, which all but the final episode occupied.

Some events intra-episode would have to be switched around to prevent awkward cut offs (or not, even Gundam isn't a stranger to multiple-part stories), otherwise it works just fine.

Alaska Slim wrote:ZZ disproves it, what's good about that story was told in the latter half. If it had started with the bloat in the first arc far more streamlined, or even just absent, it would have been far better for it.
ZZ is basically the ''third'' season.

Deflection; this has nothing to do with the point I was making here.

ZZ had the 50 episode template, and yet it clearly didn't need that many episodes, as it spent most of the first arc simply playing around. The introduction of the characters could have been far more truncated, and nothing of substance would have been lost.

Gundam does not need 50 episodes simply for being Gundam, the runtime needed to tell a story depends on the kind and scope of the story the writer is trying to make, not on the happenstance of simply being part of a franchise.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:30 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Gundam Unicorn has a series runtime just short of a 22 episode anime. With some adjustments, it could very well have been adapted that way, or even shorter if need be.

How do you figure? It was seven 50-minute episodes, which amounts to 16 standard anime-length episodes. If anything I think it could be trimmed to a single cour.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:How do you figure? It was seven 50-minute episodes

The last one was 90 min, the math I'm doing puts it at about 20.

For the sake of adjustment for narrative flow, I'd assume content added, but content cut down could just as easily happen.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:40 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:The last one was 90 min, the math I'm doing puts it at about 20.

Forgot about the last ep. But even so that's 18 eps, not 20.

Either way, your point stands. Definitely don't need 50 eps to tell that story.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:51 am

Don't forget the extra OPs and EDs, and maybe PVs too - they add another ep's worth.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:19 pm

ANN put out a guide to the Gundam franchise

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

I wonder if this could bring up some interesting debate?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Is it because it's CGI? IDC. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 pm

I don't get the hate for IGLOO there. Sure, it wasn't War in a Pocket, or even the good parts 08th MS team, but I found it very entertaining and it certainly holds its ground against Stardust Memory, or Gundam S--d, which he gave "maybes" for. I liked how the characters would put their sweat, blood & tears into one project, would come out with a semi-good result, only to return to the commander that would always tell them "Yeah, everything you did was pointless, here's your next crummy assignment". Suffer, people, SUFFER! :devil:

I didn't even think all the Feddie stories were bad, the Shinigami crap was just in the way is all.

Also, a "maybe" for CCA... the **** dude. :irked:

Still, I'd agree that the "Cosmic Era" probably has the best music... if nothing else.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:50 am

"One of the major criticisms is that this show doesn't appear to fit into the Universal Century. We never hear about the Zanscare Empire before or after this and it occurs so far after the One Year War it doesn't seem related to anything else in this timeline."

There are many things wrong with Victory Gundam but this isn't one of it. :coffee:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:56 am

Biggest issue with everything post Unicorn in the timeline is that the series are so unevenly spaced out, there's too little continuity with nearly 30 years inbetween CCA and F91, F91 Gundam should have really become a series like it was intended to be and then have it all start from there. This is probably why they started making AU shows, though the ones post Turn A aren't really anything to write home about with their general schlock.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:36 pm

If you are going to do SEED might as well do Stargazer its only like 20 mins
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:There are many things wrong with Victory Gundam but this isn't one of it. :coffee:

I've never seen it, but what exactly is wrong with it? I kept hearing that Tomino went nuts or something.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I've never seen it, but what exactly is wrong with it? I kept hearing that Tomino went nuts or something.

Good ol' kill 'em all Tomino.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Sunrise merged with Bandai over Tomino's objections and started meddling with the production. For instance, the first episode was originally intended to be ep 4, but pressure from Bandai to show the Gundam from the start led to a confusing change to the early episode order. Another affair was with the merchandise interest to have battleships in the series, while the main stage was on Earth. As a result they had to put tires on battleships and Mobile Suits ride motorcycles. Tomino fell into deep depressions and from the frustration came a bipolar anime that is full of idiosyncrasies and CRUAZY. Tomino hates it so much that he put a "Don't buy this series!" on the DVD box.

The show has some good parts though, I personally enjoyed it. I liked the Mobile Suit designs, the fight choreography is one of the best, I still listen to the music from time to time and it has Katejina "I will cut your balls off and eat them" Loos.

I wouldn't recommend V Gundam to any newcomer but it can be quite fascinating to stare into the abyss of a person that has obviously some issues.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 pm

I know that the show is supposed to be released here sometime next year, so with this info, I'm going to wait until I'm able to see it before I would purchase it. Thanks.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:22 am

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt is getting anime adaption

http://gundam-tb.net/

Get hype!

Also confirmed in the manga's 6th volume

There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 am

Nice, more U.C.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:29 am

First trailer of Thunderbolt will be screened in theaters before the showing of Origin 2.

There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:36 pm

So, Iron-Blooded Orphans: This is the first Gundam series that's caught my attention since Turn-A Gundam. I watched Unicorn, of course, and suffered through Seed and 00 like everyone else, but I thought they (and everything else that's some in the meantime) were utter drek. But IBO . . . this isn't bad. It's Gundam, but it has its own identity. But, more importantly, it's interesting. I haven't been able to say that about a Gundam show for years now.

I have great faith in the writing crew, and I hope this show takes us to great places. My fingers are crossed, Sunrise; prove to me that you're not an utter waste of space at this point.

Edit: But, one thing: Gundam Barbatos? I'm getting visions of the damn Elmeth all over again. Why go with a recognized name if you're not gonna do it right?

Also, Orga needs a haircut in a bad way.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:28 am

Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin III - Dawn of Rebellion will be released in Spring 2016

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0D5dv4hX2I

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Funny, evil thing... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Edit: But, one thing: Gundam Barbatos? I'm getting visions of the damn Elmeth all over again. Why go with a recognized name if you're not gonna do it right?

Eh... actually, it's the name of a type of demon (just found this out myself):

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/barbatos/

Return to “Anime and Manga”