Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Love is affirmed? Meh, I WANT MOR BLOOD! BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:27 am

Sei: "A berserker system ?"

Mao: "No way, something like that is against tournament rules."

That is insane. They don't have strict rules on team sizes, gunpla class or arsenals, but they have a rule for a player augmented system that only existed in a fictional tv show?

It's like these rules were written by Gundam fan site forum members, aware that they themselves were in a tv show and that such a system would come to exist in their world. :tongue:

Anyway, I like how Aila's abilities were explained, it has me believing for the first time that she was a bigger threat than Neils.

The fight in this episode was... "meh", perhaps by necessity given the character conflict. I am still absorbed in the unfettered glory of the meijin's last fight, nothing before or sense has compared. So I'm excited to see that we'll be veiwing his semifinal match against another under-built up opponent, it'll hopefully be just as gritty as the last.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:23 am

Gundam Build Fighters episode 22
Episode was pretty good although I do feel that it felt a little rushed introducing the new character kind of wished there was more of a build up to it rather than just coming out of no where. Guess we won't be getting the championship match next episode though judging by the preview though.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED

Jesus Yamato how horrifying

Well, I guess two days break after finishing SEED is enough. TL;DR version is that the famous copypasta is remarkably accurate and I'd only considerably dispute one claim in it.

Gundam SEED is waste of potential. The setting and its racial-genetic conflict setup provides good ground for science fiction exploration and probing various themes related to eugenics, basis of human value and where to draw limits of human person. The Natural-Coordinator split differs just enough from Newtype theme of UC Gundam while remaining fitting expansion whereas the politically fractured ZAFT and Federation together with third player Orb give more than enough material for political drama and power plays a la LoGH.

But of course pretty much none of this is ever done. What marks SEED all around is remarkable superficiality. The setting may be brimming with ideas and story opens avenues to explore but it's as if creators were blindfolded and as blind's stick they only had cheap plastic copy of 0079. No wonder they won't really get anywhere and keep stumbling over once the terrain gets more rough.

SEED quickly turns into decent but uninspired rehash of classic original Gundam with few modern twists in presentation and development. This doesn't make it bad series per se but it is extremely damning for early 00s series to perform more poorly than 1979 pioneer with almost every element they share. The obligatory improvements to art and animation brought by passing of time and greater resources aside I can't think of anything SEED does unambiguously better - and even visually SEED is inferior, gaudy experience despite its raw production superiority thanks to questionable design work all around and inedible aesthetic. Gundam was way ahead of its contemporaries in almost every respect whereas SEED failed to meet the standards of early 00s - and quite often those of 1979 to boot!

The elements that aren't 0079 rehash in turn are almost uniformly terrible. Almost every change and deviation from the formula is for the worse which is pretty incredible in itself. This is where the superficiality of the whole series really becomes apparent. The extensive, underdeveloped cast is for most part so-so and exceptions to so-soness tend to be "fucking terrible" instead of "actually good". The main conflict is skin-deep and underdeveloped and there's no attempt at making the outbreak of Natural-Coordinator convincing beyond "they're Different!", all authorities are bloodthirsty genocidial nutsos and every decent character eventually ends up on side of Jesus...

Gundam is no LoGH and that's ok but is it too much to ask there's even one factor in the conflict that doesn't play right in hands of the pacifist strawman argument SEED spends biggest part of its second half making?

Specifics of narrative do no better than this general evaluation of main conflict. Kira dons on a Plot Armor of God, melodrama is laughable for most part, the attempts at gory WAR IS HELL drama are hamfisted (saying this as someone who doesn't mind the little girl getting her head blown off in Be Invoked), people get randomly resurrected, stealing Gundams is like stealing candies, characters often act in completely irrational ways without explanation and series's second half is largerly extended effort in laughable, contrived anti-war rhetoric led by the worst Purity Sue character in Gundam and comically OP and self-righteous jackass we have as main character.

In fact Lacus and Kira are respectively two vortexes of pure suck that are usually the direct or indirect cause whenever series starts to stumble down. Very good example of awful writing in SEED is the "heroic sacrifice" in episode 40 that makes zero sense and it's only done in order to cement Lacus's status as The Great 16 Year Old Miss Perfect Idol Wise Queen Of Our Age Oh Lacus-Sama<3 uhhh I mean, Lacus's status as the leader of "good guys". Speaking of said late game good guys, their "great" plan the series ideologically imbues with value and rightenousness seem to be to dick around battlefields proclaiming their faux-pacifism. Only reason they ever achieve anything is due to ridiculous amount of plothax.

Seriously fuck this show

I'd say the series pretty clearly loses its shit around ep 30 or so which marks the point when series starts to fellate Kira and all of his actions and whatever potential there was earlier gets wasted. Also tellingly Kira's already rather obnoxious and weakly established cliched character (MAMORU MAMORU in the worst way possible) goes through sudden and inexplicable pseudo-Enlightenment as part of the worst character development I've seen in long time. Lacus is even worse! I'm supposed to believe this goofy brainless chick from early series that couldn't tell she's not on ZAFT ship is also capable political and military leader, able guerilla, morally perfect and seemingly omniscient wise voice of reason in the conflict? Also she's pop idol to boot.

Yeahhhh how bout no.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERP HOLY SHIT CAN THIS SERIES SUCK KIRA'S DICK ANY HARDER

Technically Fukuda's direction isn't any more impressive than the ability he and his wife show in telling a story. Mostly it's unnoticeable one way or another but he sabotages countless potentially decent scenes with AWFUL use of flashbacks. In fact I've never seen flashbacks in any series done as poorly as in SEED where they're constant and overplayed presence. I'd say typical episode has at least 3 minutes worth of flashbacks to previous episodes! Often to same scenes even. Only thing more poorly directed than this are some corny as hell musical interludes when some j-pop song plays and we get schmaltzy montages of poor bishie friends having to fight each other ;__;

Also there're downright unexplained things a la Gundam Wing. Mu La Flaga an Rau for example have obvious Newtype abilities in setting that doesn't really have Newtypes per se and no explanation for their abilities is given whatsoever. The ultimately glossed over SPACE WHALE thing also bothers me.

Such a lovely, modest lad

So writing and directing in SEED ranges from average to seriously supbar. Does it make up in other regards? Like, maybe action is great or something? Ha, as if. Apparently I accidentally watched the HD remaster version of SEED with minor changes (there's new FictionJunction song as 2nd ED) which presents the footage is as good form as it has ever appeared before.

It still looks like ass for most part. The thin colours and general "bloodless" feel of SEED speaks of average early 00s attempt at digital production and CG is weak for most part. This would be excusable if this wasn't Sunrise's biggest flagship product we're talking about and how good Stand Alone Complex (also 2002 series) still looks in contrast. The REAL travesty that ruins the aesthetics are Hirai's horrible sameface designs. When most of the time the visual palette consists of Hirai characters, non-descript and generic military facilities and Mobile Suits and director makes no effort to compensate for this with some creativity in style the responsibility for making the series interesting to watch falls squarely on designs provided.

Hirai's sameface designs are poor in general and most Mobile Suit designs range from tired UC rehashes to stupid (DOG SUITS) or plain unwieldy nonsense that looks great on toys but makes zero sense as machine of warfare (see first pic in this post). There are some exceptions and best mechanical designs in SEED are genuinely great: Astray units for example and Archangel/Dominion are probably the best ship designs I've seen in any Gundam show, period. Well, I guess for balance we have Lacus's pink battleship...

So hey!!! The action might deliver then! Yeah I bet SEED has good mecha action that vindicates the series!

SEED has the most awful mecha action in Gundam series I've ever seen:

I was almost rolling on floor due to its awfulness at some parts. While series starts out perfectly fine it eventually devolves into BEAMSPAM AND RETARDED POSING episode after episode after episode. It's as if these war machines don't work unless you remember to waste time striking silly pose before your each attack. This is terrible in itself but then you add BEAMSPAM and results are just...man. Blergh.

As if this wasn't awful enough for action choreography SEED endlessly recycles footage and towards end of the series the fight scenes are clip shows of cuts I've seen many times before more often than not. :facepalm:

I haven't seen this shitty mecha combat in long going mecha series since Macross 7 but even Macross 7 has excuse of being focused on almost everything but mecha action even in "action scenes"!

Add on this bunch of smaller grievances (early in series it's clearly established the vulcan cannons in heads of mobile suits are useless against other mobile suits but elite pilots who supposedly know wtf they're doing keep wasting ammo against other mobile suit units till the very final episode) and we get series that consists of awful action for most part. Majority of remaining time is covered by awful character interaction or longwinded flashbacks.

But hey, it had Astrays at least!

I want to end this review on positive note because above might make it seem I dislike it as much as I dislike Wing which is not true. SEED is very bad but it's far more coherent and doesn't genuinely start to suck before second half. While it's never great the first 30 episodes are mostly decent watch, there are some ok characters (Athrun, Murrue, La Flaga), some good action setpieces despite all the awful mentioned above (Siege of Orb is pretty fine all in all) and incredibly enough the female characters manage to look attractive whenever particular frame don't make them look like space aliens, I guess. So SEED wasn't all that painful to watch.

Most notably SEED has very good music. The BGM are generally excellent and while I didn't care much for electo-pop OPs the best insert songs were downright stunning. In particular contributions from Yuki Kajiura were simply fantastic.

All in all it's easy to see why SEED was huge hit back when. It's decently enough made 0079 rehash to attract old school fans who hadn't got anything to their liking since Char's Counterattack, its angsty and melodramatic character relationships speak to modern shonen demographic as well as fujoshi, there's great number of male and female bishies and if this was first Gundam you saw I can imagine getting captivated by what you see for real. Some of the problems and shortcomings of the series are only apparent if you've seen older Gundam.

I can even understand undying popularity of Kira and Lacus due to their wish fulfillment/self insert/sue max. nature very well. While I'm no happier with it I can now understand why Kira Jesus Yamato rules the Newtype male character polls.

Still, all in all SEED was rather bad show that managed to rise above average far too rarely.

Verdict: Gospel according to beamspam.

4/10

Well, that's about it. Thank God I don't need to bother with SEED anym-

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm

^10/10 review right there, Xard. I rewatched it recently myself and can't bring myself to believe why I even bothered defending it before.

I was expecting you to be much, much harsher, however. Can't wait for your GSD review

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm

very good review Xard, I can't wait to see you face your destiny :lol:

but yeah looking back on seed when I first watched it back in the day I liked the show a lot. I watched it as it aired on T.V. over here and I enjoyed it each week but upon rewatching the show it's flaws became really obvious and I lost a lot of love I had for the show.
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Holy fuck, I should sue Sunrise for continuously trying to kill me

Show keeps being amazing as long as no one is spamming Build Knuckles.

can't wait for the Gundam Valhalla next week

SUNRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE

View Original PostXard wrote:Most notably SEED has very good music. The BGM are generally excellent and while I didn't care much for electo-pop OPs the best insert songs were downright stunning. In particular contributions from Yuki Kajiura were simply fantastic.

SEED is shit but that track was really beautiful.

Godspeed with Destiny. You will need it, soldier :salute:

just in case you are interested, I found my SEED review again.

post/567808/What-anime-are-you-watching-right-now-May-2012/#567808

Yeah, we are unsurprisingly on the same page.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:22 pm

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:I was expecting you to be much, much harsher, however. Can't wait for your GSD review

Oh, the score (low as it is) probably will drop over time if that's what you mean, looking at my MAL stats in general. If you meant I wasn't verbally as abusive as I could've, well, the thing is while SEED was definetly substandard series and downright bad in some respects it was still nevertheless more entertaining than not watch, even if towards the end that value was derived from seeing what the hell they're going to do next.

It's when series is offensively bad and mindnumbingly unpleasant watching experience is when I start spitting acid. Wing was like that for me and to this day it remains the most awful 50 episode stretch of anime I've ever seen.

Another thing is I know that if I was 14 years old and had never seen any other Gundam series before I would've loved SEED myself. It may be bad series in final analysis but it isn't offensively, obviously bad series with zero charm points. Even viewer as jaded as I found it okay series and definetly not worth the fuss for first 30 eps or so. If I was less experienced viewer (or more in love with beamspam+MC self inserting) I probably would've liked the series till the end despite its faults.

So SEED wasn't that unbearable viewing experience and it had enough clear charm points to make me understand why people would like it. Of course anyone saying SEED is best Gundam is terribly mistaken in my view but I can nevertheless understand why someone would hold that opinion.

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:but yeah looking back on seed when I first watched it back in the day I liked the show a lot. I watched it as it aired on T.V. over here and I enjoyed it each week but upon rewatching the show it's flaws became really obvious and I lost a lot of love I had for the show.

From what I can tell this seems to be really common experience in western fandom and sometimes the backlash against "mistakes of one's youth" one can see on, say, /m/ are clearly excessive IMO. Then there are great many anime fans who don't care much for mecha and whose only Gundam show is SEED to this day and they still tend to have fond feelings for the title. Though very people few like Destiny, at least.

In fact this seems to for Japan too. SEED is still popular and well liked (one could probably say same of SEED in context of anime fandom on the whole instead of "purists" like stereotypical channer) but its glory days are long gone and things people complain about SEED/Destiny on 2chan and like don't really differ from what we complain about.

View Original PostFireball wrote:SEED is shit but that track was really beautiful.

Yeah. There were 2-3 other FictionJunction tracks in it and I liked them too. See-Saw ED1 was okay too I guess, sasuga Kajiura. :shrug:

As for OST I didn't care much for the more generic synth driven numbers on the soundtrack but the orchestral and esp. choral stuff was great. Not Turn A tier of course (nothing is) but the score jumped at me positively quite few times and if we forget Turn A I don't remember that happening since Victory which had some amazing dramatic tracks.

View Original PostFireball wrote:just in case you are interested, I found my SEED review again.

post/567808/What-anime-are-you-watching-right-now-May-2012/#567808

Yeah, we are unsurprisingly on the same page.

Nice review and yeah, I definetly agree with all your points (including ones I didn't make in my review). I guess I too should've mentioned how ludicruously nonsensical most of Muerre's "commands" were, at least. :lol: I like how it was put here
[enemy fires lasers LASERS]
Murrue Ramius: EVADE!
[what the crew must be thinking: EVADE WHERE?]
[Murrue Ramius: THE FUCK DO I KNOW, BUT IF WE GET HIT MY BOOBS JIGGLE]
[Somehow, the Archangel moves just in time so the lasers miss]
Murrue Ramius: GOTTFRIEDS…
[what the crew must be thinking: …]
Murrue Ramius: FIRE!
[what the crew must be thinking: AT WHAT?]
[Murrue Ramius: THE FUCK DO IN KNOW, ONE OF THOSE GUNDAMS, THE BAD ONES OBVIOUSLY!]
[Gottfried laser cannons beams are never even shown]

By final episodes I was considering turning never ending "evade!" shouts into a drinking game. :lol:

Funnily enough Destiny has done so far much better job in this regard, the commands captains issue are actually more specific and thus much more sensible.

You wouldn't happen to have Destiny review lying around? :D

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Yeah. There were 2-3 other FictionJunction tracks in it and I liked them too. See-Saw ED1 was okay too I guess, sasuga Kajiura. :shrug:

I should mention Find the Way I found to be one of the best Gundam final songs. I felt really bad about Fllay when that song started.

You wouldn't happen to have Destiny review lying around? :D

Yeah, here

post/576696/What-anime-are-you-watching-right-now-May-2012/#576696

SPOILER: Show
Sorry, it's the only Gundam series I never wrote anything about. I simply couldn't be bothered and was just glad it was over. And I mean really, what's there to say other than that it is plainly bad? Everyone knows it's bad, it would be just preaching to the choir. Seed at least had some positive things here and there that warranted the energy to write about, but Destiny, Destiny is just terrible and not even in the funny way.

However if you are up to the task I may chip in with two or three thoughts.

I noticed that was around the time you finished V Gundam. Oh, those reactions :hahaha:

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:35 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Oh, the score (low as it is) probably will drop over time if that's what you mean, looking at my MAL stats in general. If you meant I wasn't verbally as abusive as I could've, well, the thing is while SEED was definetly substandard series and downright bad in some respects it was still nevertheless more entertaining than not watch, even if towards the end that value was derived from seeing what the hell they're going to do next.

Meh, the acid you threw was enough. It's SEED Destiny the one that needs all the acid, base and magma thrown at it whenever possible, at any time and place.

Xard wrote:It's when series is offensively bad and mindnumbingly unpleasant watching experience is when I start spitting acid. Wing was like that for me and to this day it remains the most awful 50 episode stretch of anime I've ever seen.

Honestly, I think I enjoyed my rewatch of Wing more than the one of SEED, mainly because Wing was laughably bad and I had good grins and laughs out of it. SEED is just plain boring and, well...plain. At least in Wing you can make fun of the bipolarism and stupid shifts the characters do, Wufei's "A WOMAN", Quatre's gayness, etc.

Xard wrote:Another thing is I know that if I was 14 years old and had never seen any other Gundam series before I would've loved SEED myself. It may be bad series in final analysis but it isn't offensively, obviously bad series with zero charm points. Even viewer as jaded as I found it okay series and definetly not worth the fuss for first 30 eps or so. If I was less experienced viewer (or more in love with beamspam+MC self inserting) I probably would've liked the series till the end despite its faults.

Well, I can say that's pretty much what happened to me. I really liked SEED until a few years ago that I watched SEED Destiny. But the rewatch I did with the supposed "remaster" really didn't help its case.

Xard wrote:In fact this seems to for Japan too. SEED is still popular and well liked (one could probably say same of SEED in context of anime fandom on the whole instead of "purists" like stereotypical channer) but its glory days are long gone and things people complain about SEED/Destiny on 2chan and like don't really differ from what we complain about.

This is true. Not very long ago, many people on futaba were saying SEED was going to be forgotten in ten years from now because of how bland it was. More recent reviews have been much harsher, thanks to the "remaster".

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 am

Gundam Build Fighters episode 22

Commodore is 78, soo~ he got into Gundam when he was what, 43? And started battling at 70? Was this a mid-mid life crisis thing? -o-;

Mackenzie's Gunpla, I was all "is that a red Freedom?". If so, it'd be only the second time we'd seen a complete color pallet change of a protag bot. But no, the name drop and the afterimage clued me in. But I wasn't far off, the F91 is a definite influence on the Freedom.

Btw, I've only seen half of the F91 film, did it always have the mouth beam, or is that a mod? And was it the first to have the waistline beam rifles?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Yeah, the mouth beam is in the movie but it's more like a heat venting gimmick.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:59 pm

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

OLE

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 am

Build Fighters OST is out

[FLAMENCO INTENSIFIES INTENSIVELY]

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:30 am

man the build fighters ost is just so good, there are so many really good tracks

why is Yuki's theme the absolute best

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 am

The creepiest thing about Seed is probably how it's claimed to be an almost literal self-insertion fan-fic. I have no idea how much truth there is to it, but this image keeps popping up on /m/: those are supposedly Morosawa and Fukuda cosplaying Lacus and Kira, respectively.

The universe can be a weird place when a fan-fiction of a fan-fiction actually turns out pretty amazing.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:The creepiest thing about Seed is probably how it's claimed to be an almost literal self-insertion fan-fic. I have no idea how much truth there is to it, but this image keeps popping up on /m/: those are supposedly Morosawa and Fukuda cosplaying Lacus and Kira, respectively.

I'd say they're not 100% self-inserts, but rather just mouthpieces to voice whatever it is that Morosawa believes. Also, Fukuda's head there looks photoshopped, but I could be wrong.

Dr. Nick wrote:The universe can be a weird place when a fan-fiction of a fan-fiction actually turns out pretty amazing.

That's actually what they say. Play the game with one of those second-hand translators. They call Kira out for intervening in the fights. It's really telling when even someone who's generally regarded as a wuss like Shinji calls someone else out for BS (not pictured there). Old Ryoma a shit by the way.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Well, somehow I managed to watch Destiny in about 2 days or so. This isn't something I ever want to repeat and while the experience was not the most painful anime viewing experience I've had the aftertaste is almost incomparably horrid. Every thought I've directed at Destiny today makes it seem even worse and concurrently makes me feel like shit. I just want to forget this series's existence as quickly as possible but I doubt that'll happen.

This might just be the worst television anime series I have seen in my entire life. It's worse than Wing and School Days and only tv anime I have rated lower on MAL is Cosprayers but even its awfulness feels somehow inconsequential and meagre when I weight it against SEED Destiny. I had low expectations but even then I didn't expect something this bad! Only sorta-worse anime I can think of are garbage OVAs done by semi-amateurs on zero budget. Destiny was freaking flagship project and newest entry in anime's most lucrative franchise. How, just HOW, do you waste 15 million dollars on something this irredeemably bad? Even if contents were to be absurd you'd expect the production to be done remotely competently but no, fuck that too. This was a project ruined by incompetence that can only be described as mindblowing.

I have dislike for breaking reviews into neat "slots" or whatever as if you could break organic work like that into parts so cleanly (even worse if you rate each individual "part" for total score like MAL wants you to do for reviews) but frankly unless I adhere to such strict format I'll be writing here all night long about Destiny since it's such bottomless well of awfulness.

I also refuse to pollute my PC with Destiny screencaps so for pics I only have some shitty macros I quickly googled.

This review is going to be full of spoilers in case someone cares (no one should).

Gundam SEED Destiny

Story: More like "what story"? Destiny's main narrative is unfocused, slowly slumbering mess of shitty character drama, retarded mecha warfare and politics (even in comparison to first season) and fanfic tier bullshit and creepy Kira/Lacus worship. After explosive and honestly pretty gripping start Destiny just loses its shit completely. Before finally turning into awful rehash of already questionable SEED in its final stretch the series somehow wastes cour after cour on directionless mess. The restarted war makes very little sense, the whole conflict is extremely muddled and Destiny is constantly guilty of telling instead of showing to highest degree. While bad per se this is definetly put in the background and central stage is taken by EVEN WORSE aimless character drama going in endless circles of crying, stupid recycled fights and IQ dropping pontification about war and pacifism and whatnot. To a large degree Destiny's story is thin enough to be invisible and the skeletal framework that does exist is made of cliched, poor quality ingredients.

When we actually get something akin story with Durandal starting his evil mastermind plan and Logos getting wiped out (fucking Logos, the most awfully written and underutilized conspiracy ever) the end result is terribad rehash of SEED with new variety of bullshit as extra service. "Destiny Project" is probably the single most idiotic villain plan in Gundam if not mecha anime history and the whole faux-Star Wars finale seem to be something Morosawa pulled out of her fujoshi ass because they needed something for climax anf Fukuda wanted to put Durandal in Palpatine's throne room.

There's also some stupid as hell real world politics subtext with Fukuda pontificating multiple times in interviews this is informed by Iraq War and whatever. Well that's blatant to see but to be frank even Bush's intelligence should be insulted by the nonsense here. The response to SEED 9/11 terrorist act (best part of series by far, early eps were sorta fine) and on which entire series hangs is just absurd: its real world equivalent would be USA deciding to nuke shit out of off entire Middle-East and Indonesia after WTC strikes. Even with SEED's banzai kill all coordinators setting the whole political drama smells like bottled week old farts and only reason it happens is because without it there's no show.

I guess it kinda doesn't need to be spelled out but any sense of pacing is also out of whack thanks to retarded clip show episodes that bear little connection to main series and hilarious incompetence like derailing the climax with two Meer episodes out of nowhere, one of which takes place after the crazy wannabe-Lacus is dead already. How do you fuck this shit up so badly I don't even-

Last but not least the sheer RANDOM factor in writing cannot be overestimated. Storylines are shafted or snubbed right after first drum rolls and all in all it feels like the writers were making it up as they went. The way characters get randomly killed and resurrected is good example as is the entire Minerva cast getting derailed and end up playing role of unwitting goons for big bad DESPITE BEING NOMINAL MAIN HEROES. The obv. ment-to-be-inserted storyline of Minerva's captain barely happens at all, the Zetaesque Gundamjack of early episodes gets forgotten almost completely, Mu La Flaga is resurrected and brought back in the most idiotic way possible despite the fact we see him turn into space dust on screen in SEED's finale. This in turn sidelines the hinted at Waldstein-Murrue romance that never gets mentioned again. Rey being Rau clone ends up as casual "btw I'm a clone" revelation, Stella/Shinn arc is fucking awful take on Four/Kamille romance from Zeta which was kinda derp in the first place, all the Athrun romance bullshit and beyond retarded Cagalli breakup (followed by Shinn/Lunamaria pairing WHAT THE FUCK), Orb political kindergarten, Lacus pulling supergundams out of her pink ass, all the fucking plot armor....

Really, this is the only anime I've ever seen that has so bad focus issues it can't even decide who the main character is! No wonder it does even worse with side characters.

Anyway, Destiny's storyline and the way said story is told are both appalingly bad. It's stupider and more incomprehensible than Wing for chrissakes and AT LEAST WING KNEW WHO THE MAIN CHARACTERS WERE.

Characters: JUST KILL ME, PLEASE.

The new cast is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL and hilariously enough the main character of Stargazer receives in 5 minute montage more character development than 99% of new cast. Shinn Asuka is the worst mecha anime lead ever if not the worst anime lead ever period - he's so bad he ends up turning into a villain half time during final cour and has his show literally stolen from him by Kira Jesus Yamato!

I sorta liked Meyrin and Lunamaria. Both were flat (in character if not in physique) but Meyrin's moe personality was likeable for me whereas Lunamaria was sorta bro early on. Then again Lunamaria is awfully written character too that is completely derailed and Meyrin only does better by having almost zero screentime before her escape with Athrun. This isn't really her character's fault but my god the writing was awful in this regard too and the Meyrun/Athrun pairing by the end of it is biggest bullshit ever and seems to be only explanaible through Morosawa hating Cagalli.

So if new cast is worthless how about the old cast that has way too big presence on the show for its own good? Well, the few decent characters are almost all turned into complete and utter shit. Cagalli gets the worst of it, going from tolerable tomboy princess (though I always found her too much faux-badass to my taste) to infantile, crying shit woman who needs to get shit slapped out of her. Athrun, one of the few well written characters in original starts OOC as fuck, ends up going through supershitty repeat of his SEED character arc for no good reason and all in all reaches RUINED FOREVER status in astonishing speed. Mu La Flaga is similarly bastardized with awful characterization (Rou has no qualms about being fucking dickwad but turns into stoned moron when he ends up in Archangel, neither is Mu La Flaga I remember) after his already beyond brainless resurrection.

Murrie is the only major SEED character who sorta survives unscathed but even she suffers from the awkward narrative shifts and lack of focus.

aaaaand then there's Kira Jesus Yamato and Fucking Lacus. Both take after their worst traits exhibited towards end of SEED and become the most terribly written Sue Couple I have seen in all anime. Kira's endless godmoding and Lacus's ridiculous nonsense (Lacus's part in the story in general is incredibly awkwardly written, even by Destiny standards!!!) nauseate me more than any other character in the franchise history after Releena Peacecraft.

So yes, Destiny's characterization is as good as its story: fucking terrible.

Directing/Animation/Editing/Action/Pretty Much Everything Else: If Morosawa is the hackiest writer I've seen write mecha anime then Fukuda is the hackiest director to ever touch Gundam. I knew this with SEED already but oh boy oh boy oh boy does Fukuda surpass himself with Destiny.

Everything I complained about directing, endless flashback bs and recycled footage in SEED holds for Destiny - only with even greater intensity. Above sections already make it clear Destiny is awfully directed series but when you add on it senseless and constant bombardment of flashbacks (I lost count how many times I saw Shinn's family die or Athrun give that fucking ring to Cagalli), shitty and awkwardly placed clipshow episodes AND recycling about 90% of footage for every action scene...

How in God's name this guy ever got a chance to take director's chair for Gundam. His production management was obviously disastrous and his artistic sensibilities under Uwe Boll.

But yes, Destiny has same shitty Hiraifaces same shitty directing same shitty recycling of footage except in greater "depth" than ever before. I have seen many shitty anime before but I've never seen epic "climax" that is almost entirely recycled footage!!! What the fuck.

Music is still the only decently done part in here and even it isn't as good as in SEED in my opinion.

As for mobile suit designs the "originals" are awful but what's even more awful is tired, beyond pale recycling of classic UC suits mainly from 0079. I didn't know if I should've laughed or cried when Zaku was turned into ZAKU.

How do you fix Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny:

You can't do anything to this mess because it's so screwed from the groundwork up and trying to "fix Destiny" would require demotion of the fuckwit hack couple of Fukuda/Morisawa who are directly responsible for laying enormous production effort to waste and somehow managing to create series that rivals Roots Search and Garzey's Wing in sheer awfulness.

Apparently SRW fixes Destiny but it has the considerable canonhax of other, much better series and characters being usable in the process. Short of Bright slapping Kira silly and Ranka and Sheryl making Blue Cosmos listen to their song and subsequently let go of their barbarious ways I have no idea how series this bad could be salvaged.

Verdict: When I started writing this post I was wondering if even Cosprayers is as bad as Destiny. Having written all that: no it's not, which means SEED Destiny is the worst anime series I have ever seen.

1/10

The "director's cut" version of final episode gave some closure to Shinn but that's about it for improvements. Amazingly Mobile Suit Gundam Seed C.E.73: Stargazer was pretty decent if sadly rushed due to its format choice. At the very least it proved you can do something decent in the C.E. universe as long as you keep the monster couple away from the work in question.
Last edited by Xard on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:28 pm

really nice review you pretty hit the nail on the head with things that are wrong with destiny. Even back when I saw the show airing on T.V. even then I thought it was a pretty bad show. I got really mad each week when there was another recap show and I was very butt hurt about the whole finale. So I guess even the me of many years ago who had shit taste knew that destiny was bad :lol:

also glad to hear you liked Stargazer. I wish stargazer was a bit longer I liked it quite a bit for what it was and I just loved Gundam Batman.

haha well in anycase least you're done with C.E. gundams sucks you got two really bad entries in the series left in the form of the 00 movie and Gundam AGE :lol:

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Prepare your anus, Xard. You know what's coming next.

Return to “Anime and Manga”