What anime are you watching right now? Jan 2013

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 am

2patrician4you :tongue:

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:You should probably buy some tissues before the story reaches certain point.:boohoo:

Unspoilering because

a) this is not spoiler

b) if anyone knows anything about Clannad that would be its reputation as BAWLL fest for man children and aspiringers

c) the purpose of reply that is nothing but spoilers (when you don't want to spoil) is lost to me.

Anyway, only faggots cry when watching anime so don't worry.

...oh wait

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Seeing as how AMV Hell 1 came out in AD 200fucking4, I am not in the least surprised by this.

yeahh.... 4 was last good AMV Hell so this is not. Speaking of which

4. AMV Hell 2
3. AMV Hell 4
2. AMV Hell 0
1. AMV Hell 3

rest shit, bow down to the superior taste

EDIT

hahaha "superior taste" fuck me, this stupid blobberyfest gets increasingly close to turning me into minced meat.

Clannad After Story ep 15

welp

This show has been such terrifying curveball thrown out from (seeming) nowhere I still haven't got over denial all together. But can you blame me when it's fucking Jun Maeda of all people. It's like that time you're separated from your fatty friend for summer and then when you meet him again he's all slim, toned and tanned or Tomino making series in which being woman doesn't suck or Uwe Boll getting knocked out in boxing ring by film critic.

No wonder the guy quit writing VNs after this, knowing he'd never top it (now if he only had had same discretion with writing anime originals I wouldn't have had to go through the stream of nonsense that was Angel Beats). Clannad as a whole has been almost entirely free of pits he falls into after first two arcs or so - and even those were pretty nice - and this despite working with all of his pet scenarios and admittedly schmaltzy story elements. More importantly the ridiculous sort of overblown melodrama that defines the genre so often has either been nearly completely absent or legit part of scenaros - this with the same time surprising, seemingly out of nowhere subtetly in developing drama and characters. It takes the easy way out very rarely as handling of Tomoya's shit tier home life and relationship with dad shows. The balance struck between lolanimeisms and zany over the top comedy and heartfelt drama is also succesful on scale that is incredibly rare.

More than any of that AS past ep 9 has hit a nerve deep within me with such intensity and prolonged lenght I doubt I'll make it till end with my dignity intact: and no being long ago spoilered to what's going to happen doesn't help at all, if anything it makes everything just worse.

Unless the last stretch of show hits AnoHana levels of miffy nonsense or turns into equivalent of Aku no Hana there's no way this won't stand out as Mt. Everest on endless plain of anime adapted from VNs.

Also

Best Dad Ever or Best Dad Ever? Talk about antidote to countless Gendos of animoe.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Currently airing, a comedy show that starts as a gritty JRPG fantasy but the twist is that the Demon Overlord flees to the human world and works at McDonalds for sustenance.
His subordinate becomes his housewife, he's being stalked by a tsundere hero, his big tit loli junior at work falls for him, hilarity ensues.
It doesn't seem to be all laughs and fluff though, as it does seem to get somewhat more serious after episode 3, too early to tell though.

Not as funny as OreImo but still pretty damn good.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Is the english title "The Devil Gets a Job"? I was interested in seeing this for the title alone, didn't know it was out already, will check it out.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:AMV Hell 1 came out in 2004, I am not in the least surprised
    erm…your point being?
View Original PostTheBard wrote:3. AMV Hell 4
2. AMV Hell 0
1. AMV Hell 3
Anyway, before I do the Soranowoto rewatch- I'm giving Fate Zero a look in.
When the characters aren’t standing around talking and giving me more and more reason to hate them all (minus comic-relief Alexander the Great)- the action sequences are pretty entertaining.
I seem to recall a lot of bitching in this thread last year because Saber is underpowered in this outing or something… I’m probably remembering wrong, because she seems perfectly badass as far as I can tell.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:
    erm…your point being?

Terrible internet "comedy" may be funny at its point of origin, but rarely remains that way once everyone has had nine fucking years and god knows how many installments to think about how dull its premise is. Like, I'm pretty sure that by this point the runtime of the AMV Hell franchise exceeds that of Seven Samurai. How much humor, exactly, can one wring out of Japanese cartoons saying un-Japanese-cartoon-like things?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Terrible internet "comedy" may be funny at its point of origin, but rarely remains that way once everyone has had nine fucking years and god knows how many installments to think about how dull its premise is. Like, I'm pretty sure that by this point the runtime of the AMV Hell franchise exceeds that of Seven Samurai. How much humor, exactly, can one wring out of Japanese cartoons saying un-Japanese-cartoon-like things?

That was my take ten seconds into the first installment.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 pm

More than any of that AS past ep 9 has hit a nerve deep within me with such intensity and prolonged lenght I doubt I'll make it till end with my dignity intact

The fuckers had me. The fuckers had me more times than I care to count.

At times I felt like I was watching a miracle, then at others I was being used and discarded by the milking machine. I haven't been this badly manhandled in a cry bitch, cry fashion in ages and to make it worse it's just like watching Hitchcock build tension: even when you see the mechanisms, even when you know what they're blatantly doing IT FUCKING WORKS. Then came the whatever the fuck Gainax ending which spoilers somehow managed to make more incomprehensible and I didn't even whatever the fuck. Now I'm just utterly finished without anything sensible say one way or another. So might as well:

Clannad is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and SADNESS. The normal viewer can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 pm

God, those eyes...

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Fixed.

As for me, I'm watching Gall Force: The Revolution, the obscure 1996 remake of the 1980s OVA "Gall Force". So far, everything's been great: in fact, I'm enjoying it as much, if not I'll dare say more, than (most) of the original OVAs. While the first four OVAs were great, the Earth Arc is wasted potential by dictionary definition and New Era seemed to have its own path before practically copy-pasting the first movie.

This remake, however, is to Gall Force what Tokyo 2040 was to the original BGC OVA: it takes the best aspects and does them in the style of the 90s. It has, if you ask me, better pacing, the same quality in terms of animation, good (albeit 100% generic 90s) art, all the while keeping the elements that make it feel like Gall Force (like the LoGH-tier guided beam spam).

Enough text-block.
Go watch it.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:25 am

Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 2: I dont really have a lot to say about this except that a lot of shit happened and not really in a good way, everything felt a little too clustered and the pace went too fast additionally the characters and the story just became more generic and predictable. However there was some good action in it hell the whole episode is just action and the Valvrave's method of powering up was pretty unique.
*sigh* just kill me already.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 am

Kara No Kyoukai (or: Garden of Sinners): Mainly the first 4 films.
... wow. Just... wow. This... has got to be... some of the best animated films I have ever seen so far. The animation: f*cking breathtaking! Characters: f*cking awesome! Story: deep, complex and excellent. I've only seen the first 4 so far, and really can't wait to finish the later films! Ufotable: the best company to rely on when it comes to Type-Moon franchises. Speaking of which:

Fate/Zero (Episode 1- Blu-ray version)
Simply put: I love it. They've done a terrific job opening the show and presenting how these wars came to be and the purposes. Characters were well-defined, the music is awesome (remember: I've only seen the first episode) and DAT ENDING OF EPISODE. ... awesome. Gets me hooked to see the later episodes. Brings Fate/Stay Night from Studio Deen to shame. ...
SPOILER: Show

No really, after experiencing Fate/Zero with watching this episode and reading some of the light novel (putting a suspension on reading the light novel for now)... it's hard to continue Fate/Stay Night Anime. After 18 episodes, I'm giving up. Simply put: read the VN of Fate/Stay Night. You can watch the anime of Fate/Zero and/or read the light novel (long yet excellent and detailed read! Though, I have to stop 1/3 of the story because I'm reading it at such a bad time! Make sure you have lots of time in your hands, because trust me, it'll eat up your weeks if reading both F/SN VN and F/Z light novel.)

P.S.: UFOTABLE, WHY YOU NO REMAKE FATE/STAY NIGHT AND GIVE ANIME TSUKIHIME EXISTENCE?!

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:36 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Oh, i admit i'm surprised since i thought my review was cringe inducing rather than something someone would want to read.

Well, it was good review and reading it was pretty nostalgic experience beause the impact it had on you was similar to one Spirited Away had on me years ago. Really, the film changed the way how I viewed animation more than any other.

View Original PostDream wrote:(i'm only willing to watch Ghibli films on very specific/high conditions)

I don't really get what this means. Watching Ghibli film is about as safe bet as one can make with anime. Closest to swing and miss one can get is Earthsea and not even that is worthless.

View Original PostDream wrote:By the way, i'm surprised you find Spirited Away as the superior film (presumably on plane of aesthetics and splendor) compared to Princess Mononoke when you find the latter superior in terms of ambition and complexity.

Well, in the first place when it comes to Miyazaki's top five (Laputa, Totoro, Porco Rosso, Mononoke, Spirited Away) the internal order is rather arbitrary to me and deciding actors are fairly small and insignificant so you shouldn't read too much into it. Besides, it's not like ambition or complexity per se have anything to do with quality.

View Original PostDream wrote:Only point to which i would disagree to an extent is in fourth, while Porco is certainly not pretty or even particularly loveable in some occasions (One could possibly argue that Fio fills the role of Miyazaki girl, although even that gets a little "tainted" with the developing, ambiguous feelings of her partnership with Porco) i do believe he has a lot of appeal way beyond being a cynical loner, plus having such a rugged and "brute" protagonist is quite an interesting change of pace from the usual Ghibli protagonist.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marco. He's my favourite Ghibli main character and big reason why Porco Rosso is as good as it is. I'm just saying if you're mom wondering what to make your kids view while doing something else likes of Ponyo and Totoro are far more obvious choices than washed out antics of middleaged pig. Ditto for those looking for adventure or fantasy epics: again likes of Mononoke, Nausicaa and Laputa are far more obvious...and if you're ten year old girl there's absolutely no reason to pick Porco over Spirited Away since the latter film is pretty much squarely aimed at you.

Having said that I'm not sure where the impression of Porco not being box office hit comes from. It even sold slightly better than Kiki's Delivery Service which was their previous top seller at that point.

(it's not well known fact but while they sold tickets well neither Laputa or Totoro reached Nausicaa's level of box office success - and Ghibli's first HUGE hit was Kiki's Delivery Service. It's interesting to speculate why this was so and Totoro didn't already do the leap into biggest league: I suspect that goes down solely to fact Totoro was screened together with Grave of the Fireflies as double feature)

View Original PostDream wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean with "The preferences within the field, at least, seem to point towards more Japanized consensus on his best work than the perception of western audiences. " though.

Well I already detailed what I ment with diverging perceptions here. Basically you could say, due to circumstances not having anything to do with quality of films per se, westerners overrate man's late career in comparison to early a lot - or perhaps you can't speak of overrating with films as good as his... change that: Western viewers generally speaking underrate Miyazaki's early career and due to historical, language and cultural factors can't properly understand just how important and influential works of his early career are. Most of us have been aware of man's doing for barely 10 years whereas Japanese have intimately followed his career for over 40.

This underrating holds to some extent with Ghibli (no offence to film I dig but rating Howl far above his entire pre-Mononoke output is fucking absurd) but it gets really bad when it comes to his pre-Ghibli days. It's utterly lost to most western audiences just how insanely important and influential Takahata's and Miyazaki's early careers were for the industry.

Take for example Horus: Prince of Sun which is the most important anime feature ever made and which has defined Japanese anime more than any other work sans Astro Boy (and potentially Yamato). Second while Castle of Cagliostro is respected and well-liked feature western viewers familiar with and expecting works along the lines of Miyazaki's post-Laputa "mature" period consistently underrate it and rather understandably fail to see just how original and influential it has been.

Further on we really don't get at all where the occasional otaku resentment for Miyazaki as a "traitor" comes from, a vitriol that slips through from some of the things GAINAX guys like Anno and Okada have had to say on his work with Ghibli. The reason this is so is because we in general have no knowledge of the fact Miyazaki was basically viewed as GOD of otaku anime from Future Boy Conan to Laputa whose works embodied all the virtues and values "they shared".

What I mean with those within animation business itself leaning towards more "japanized consensus" is simply that in the industry circles internal order of Miyazaki's films resembles more that of Japanese fans than that of western fans. To give example

In 2003 Laputa Animation Festival was held in Japan with animators all over the world participating in it. The participant animators were asked to choose 150 best animations of all time and came up with highly interesting list that shows obvious biases towards Japanese, american and european animation due to lineup of participants. Here's the top 20 of the list with works directed or related to Miyazaki bolded:

1. Hedgehog in the Fog
(Ёжик в тумане, Yuri Norstein, RUSSIA /USSR, 1975)
2. Tale of Tales (Yuri Norstein, RUSSIA /USSR, 1979)
3. Fantasia (9 Disney directors, USA, 1940)
4. The Man Who Planted Trees
(L'homme qui plantait des arbres, Frédéric Back, CANADA, 1987)
5. The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep
(La bergère et le ramoneur, Paul Grimault, FRANCE, 1953)
6. Future Boy Conan (未来少年コナン, Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1978, 26 eps.)
7. My Neighbour Totoro (となりのトトロ, Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1988)
8. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (David Hand/Disney, USA, 1937)
9. Yellow Submarine (George Dunning, UK, 1968)
10. The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon
(わんぱく王子の大蛇退治, Yugo Serikawa/William Ross, Japan/USA, 1963)

11. Horus: Prince of the Sun
(太陽の王子 ホルスの大冒険, Isao Takahata, Japan, 1968)

12. Crac! (Frédéric Back, CANADA, 1981)
13. Mr. Bug Goes to Town
(aka Hoppity Goes to Town, Dave Fleischer, USA, 1941)
14. Wallace and Gromit in The Wrong Trousers (Nick Park, UK, 1993)
15. The Spider and the Tulip
(くもとちゅうりっぷ, Kenzo Masaoka, Japan, 1943)
16. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
(風の谷のナウシカ, Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1984)

17. The Snow Queen
(Снежная королева, Lev Atamanov, RUSSIA/USSR, 1957)
18. Blinkity Blank (Norman McLaren,CANADA, 1955)
19. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
(天空の城ラピュタ, Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1986)
20. Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
(ルパン三世, Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1979)

The first "late" period Miyazaki feature is 29. Spirited Away - Porco Rosso and Mononoke Hime were both in 130-135 range.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Started Fate/Zero last night. Only 5 episodes in and I'm hooked haha.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:45 pm

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:Started Fate/Zero last night. Only 5 episodes in and I'm hooked haha.

Funny, I'd think that you'd be hooked earlier. Me, before fully seeing episode 1, I was hooked from the light novel that it was based upon. the first few sentences didn't take long to get me sinked in. Somehow, the writing is SO GOOD! So many details that the anime probably didn't present! Main problem: it's 3 or 4 times longer than the Anime's length. (okay, so I've only seen 1 episode so far. Not fair, but boy, what a difference!)
(example: took me roughly 90 minutes to finish the prologue, and in the Anime's 1st episode, only 15 minutes are animated, containing some of the major details. ... big difference. In total, I'd probably spend 13 hours of the Prologue and 5 acts in a good pace. ... not kidding about its length.
Couldn't continue after ending Act 5 due to schoolwork. Will I return? That's the question I'll probably ponder. ... It's that addicting.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 pm

OreImo2 3

dat moodswing, I can't believe I actually got emotionally invested into OreImo

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Oreimo S2 ep.3: Jolly Green Giant gets backstory, it's awesome.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

So I was searching for Dango Daikazoku videos when I saw that Xard finished After Story-

[10:55:47 PM] instrumentalityxin: BWAHAWHAWHAWHHAWHAWHAEW
[10:55:52 PM] instrumentalityxin: I HAVE FOUND THE BEST THING
[10:55:56 PM] instrumentalityxin: YOU DONT EVEN KNOW
[10:55:58 PM] instrumentalityxin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3wSPOEkqHw
[10:56:46 PM] Xard: oh fuck you
[10:56:50 PM] Xard: not even listening to that last one

View Original PostXard wrote:Image

Clannad - Dango Daikazoku vs Linkin Park - In The End (Mashup)

why youtube why

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:27 pm

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:Fixed.

But only doubles in Clannad are Fujibayashi twins. :huh:

Aku no Rotoscope ep 3

Sorry miss, you aren't the potato girl I'm looking for.

Gotta admit the reverse-rape scene was well done. At the same time show's excrutiatingly slow, am I arthouse yet pacing has started to test the limits of my tolerance, as if this wasn't trying watch at it is.

OreImo ep 3

haha IO Saori has superior sense of fashion what do.

Hataraku Maou-sama ep 3

Still fun and actually seems to have decent plot, incredibly enough.

PLOT too and speaking of which Boobgirl is adorable whenever she starts spilling spaghetti. Apparently her seiyuu was Yuno from Croisee. I thought I had heard her ealier!

Attack on Pingu ep 3

I waited for this oh yes I did :hahaha:

On the derp side I'm starting to get genuinely mad at director at this point because he's not doing anything to alleviate my worries. Not only did this ep have plenty of bothersome budget saving going on the amount of let's-mimic-manga's-linework cuts went up and on average stood out in rather self-important, stylistic fashion that didn't really contribute much.

But my main reason for irateness is the ending derp:

What the FUCK was up with the shitty j-rock song that doesn't fit the title at all and the retarded Guilty Crown vibe it gave for everything? I was worrying about this from start but it really looks like Araki is going full Guilty Crown with choices of music and sound and NO I'M NOT PLEASED. Can't wait till random substandard Japanese hip hop will set the beat for muh Eoten slicing fests :hohum:

Last but definetly not least why is this adaptation so eager to slut the girls up and give them lipstick even when it doesn't suit their characters at all? Only the graceful Potato Girl has maintained her integrity. Why can't Mikasa look like in ED normally?

Tsundere Pikachu ep 2

shocking non-news of the day, loli Misaka is adorable

Welp, Attack of the Clones is coming sooner than I expected.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:33 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Aku no Rotoscope ep 3

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/snap2013042102h49m59s52.png/]Image[/URL]

Sorry miss, you aren't the potato girl I'm looking for.

My reaction for this post:

Thanks, Xard. I'm gonna get insomnia after taking that Advil PM just now. You've made a new enemy in the night.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:11 am

Area 88 (OVA)

that ambitiously grim ending :salute:

Pretty solid OVA and good preparation to set the mood for my Macrossathon. Lots of planeporn and nice 80s animation.

Verdict: How far to paradise?

View Original PostXard wrote:Aku no Rotoscope ep 3

Image[/URL]

Gotta say the rape scene was nicely traced though. Makes me think of the actors that did that.

I'm convinced this is one of those songs that goes with everything.

I waited for this oh yes I did :hahaha:

On the derp side I'm starting to get genuinely mad at director at this point because he's not doing anything to alleviate my worries. Not only did this ep have plenty of bothersome budget saving going on the amount of let's-mimic-manga's-linework cuts went up and on average stood out in rather self-important, stylistic fashion that didn't really contribute much.

But my main reason for irateness is the ending derp:

What the FUCK was up with the shitty j-rock song that doesn't fit the title at all and the retarded Guilty Crown vibe it gave for everything? I was worrying about this from start but it really looks like Araki is going full Guilty Crown with choices of music and sound and NO I'M NOT PLEASED. Can't wait till random substandard Japanese hip hop will set the beat for muh Eoten slicing fests :hohum:

Last but definetly not least why is this adaptation so eager to slut the girls up and give them lipstick even when it doesn't suit their characters at all? Only the graceful Potato Girl has maintained her integrity. Why can't Mikasa look like in ED normally?

I hear ya. The lips are bothering me more than anything else. Mikasa looks like 30 years old now, let alone the fact that she is a plain girl whose sex appeal stems from actions and not looks.

They were cutting some corners in this episode other than that I had no problems. Now I just need to see Hanji and Ravioli.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Old Stickies”