Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Jamie the Great
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jamie the Great » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:41 pm

I would highly recommend Gankutsuo

It's a scifi take on the classic 'The Count of Monte Cristo'

It centers around Albert who meets the Count of Monte Cristo and is all about coming to grips with the truth and becoming an adult. But at what costs? Dun dun daahhhh!
If you aren't a scifi fan - don't worry about it. There are plenty of references it the late ages of France and the scifi isn't mind boggleling or anything. But the best part is... THE ANIMATION!! The art and animation is breathtaking.
Believe me, even if you know the story it isn't dull at all.

If you like a good plot, great animation, and lots-o-revenge then this is the one for you!

It's also won....

April 2005, Gankutsuou won the "Notable Entry Award" for the Television Category, Tokyo Anime Award at the Tokyo International Anime Fair 2005. As such, it was selected as one of the three best TV programmes among 233 entries for this category.

On 2nd October 2005, Gankutsuou received the "Best Picture Award" in the TV section at the 10th Animation Kobe festival, in Kobe, Japan.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:05 am

I thought that the animation was a little headache inducing before I got used to it. It's a cool idea (although not a novel one), especially since the textures were made by some famous designer, but it made it hard sometimes to tell what was in front of what. Aside from that, once you get used to the textures, it was a really good series. I'd second the recommendation. BTW, Gonzo is also doing an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet (3 ep will be aired this week) that's turning out to be pretty decent.

Jamie the Great
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jamie the Great » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:51 am

Ornette wrote:I thought that the animation was a little headache inducing before I got used to it.

I thought that as well but you do get use to it.

At least I reccomended something other than Elfin Lied

(it's good but not the best thing I've ever seen)

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:04 pm

There's a very good anime i'm recommending and it's kinda old too.
It's name is

City hunter (Nicky Larson in fr)

I saw this anime at my age of 6, even tough theres kinda some nudity.

It's about some inspector with pro aimbot gun skills and he works together witha woman.
Well the funny thing is that he accepts missions from beautifull ladys mostly haha :D. You can already guess what's so funny about that anime i think.

The best thing of al is, the woman with who he works with is always hitting him with a huge 1 ton(2000 lb+) hammer :D. The reason is because he always gots attracted by beautifull ladys ;).

I haven't found a torrent of it but i like the French version of it even tough i only check anime Japanese with subs.

ps: i gues you guys got to wait like 10 years before i'm finished with my pro jesus anime ><
Last edited by Ejinathan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:15 pm

^
City Hunter has a live action movie starring Jackie Chan. In one scene he dresses up like the characters from Street Fighter II and kicks some ass.
Last edited by BrikHaus on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:17 pm

BrikHaus wrote:^
City Hunter has a live action movie starring Jackie Chan. In one scene he dresses up like the characters from Street Fight II and kicks some ass.

I searched that movie everywhere and no succes >< I really wanna check it!

Btw thx for the clarification BrikHaus ^^ now at last i know from where that scene comes from :D.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri May 04, 2007 10:18 pm

GIANT ROBO: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

I just finished the final episode of this stunning OAV. It is seven episodes in length and took six years to produce! I haven't been able to find an exact figure so far, but apparently the budget for these seven episodes was larger than that of some entire anime series. Watching the quality of the animation and listening to the quality of the music, you can really tell they spared no expense at creating a memorable show.

The story is pretty simple: an evil organization called Big Fire is intent on conquering the world, and the Experts of Justice are the only ones who can stop them. Each Expert has a special skill, and our main character's, Daisaku, skill is piloting the most powerful robot in the world, Giant Robo. Sounds a little tired, sure, but the series is amazing nonetheless. One thing that was sort of surprising to me, is that this really isn't a mecha show at all. There aren't a lot of robot battles. Most of the fighting occurs on the ground between the human characters. Amidst all the fighting, there is a lot of character development, and you really get to know everyone quite well, despite the short episode count. The final episode, when you see Daisaku break down into tears as he realizes how his "wish" is the mirror image of the villain's was actually pretty powerful. All around, the characters and story (despite having a straightforward plot) were very memorable. Just don't get too attached to anyone, as characters do have a tendency to die in this show.

The animation itself has a retro-futuristic look, similar to that of "The Big O," although this OAV came before that series. It is directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa. The style is quite a lot different than most anime out there, and catches you off-guard at first, but it works well and you soon learn to like it. Each episode runs about 40 minutes. The battles are beautifully drawn. The quality and fluidity of the animation itself is right up there with feature-length anime movies like something Miyazaki would create. And the fact that this was all done without any CGI whatsoever makes it all the more impressive. It began production in 1992, but you wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't made today. The music is also incredible. Each episode has nearly 30 minutes of music that is unique from the other episodes. The other 10 (estimated, obviously) are reused opening/ending/character themes. It is all classical music, composed by Masamichi Amano, and performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir. The music is really powerful and integral to the show.

Also of note, since this is based on a classic manga, and began production in 1992, it has influenced a lot of other anime series. There are a few things in Eva that certainly must be a nod of recognition from Anno. For example, Giant Robo may (or may not, it is ambiguous) be inhabited by the spirit of Daisaku's deceased father, the city in the final episode can descend beneath the ground, and the Eye of Vogler is a giant floating black sphere which might be an influence of Leliel.

They are currently producing a new 13-episode TV series of "Giant Robo." Unfortunatley, the original creator of the manga, as well as the director of the OAV, are both deceased and are obviously not involved. As a result the new series is regrettably not going to be in the same continuity as the OAV. Neverthless, the OAV is amazing, and highly recommended to anyone who considers themselves an anime fan.

EVERYTHING FOR BIG FIRE!

CRUSH THEM, GIANT ROBO!

Please check out "Giant Robo." If you're looking for something fun and entertaining with amazing animation, then this is for you.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat May 05, 2007 10:34 am

I saw some of the Giant Robo Live action, and the OVA looks badass, I need to get around to watching that.

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Sat May 19, 2007 5:26 pm

soljerameelguy wrote:GRENADIER

Boobs that reload guns. Need I say more?

A very good anime and it's not all about boobs, it's about something very preciouse called " love".
Even tough it looks ecchi with boobs reload guns , it stil became one of my fav anime. Watch it now people !

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 19, 2007 5:45 pm

I was a little disappointed with Grenadier. The first and last episodes were both excellent, but everything in between was mediocre. I'd love to know how many bullets she actually kept between her breasts.
Awesomely Shitty

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:40 am

Grenadier is an anime I put in the decent catagory. I liked it and I don't regret buying the series but I wish more work was put into it. I have to agree with BrikHaus on the first and last episodes being the best but I also found some of the other ones in-between good as well. But as many as I found good I also found ones that were just so-so.

And it's been a while so I will recommend another anime. Ai Yori Aoshi. It is another rom/com harem anime but very much different from the rest of its ilk. It is much more subdued and the story moves at a very different pace. It isn't one of those rom/coms where you yell at the central characters to get together already and makes you wait till the very end for them to do it. It actually happens quite early in the anime but because of certain situations they have to keep there relationship a secret, even from their friends. The comedy aspects of the anime come from that particular predicament.

Here is the Wiki article about the series if you are interested in learning more
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 20, 2007 8:01 am

BrikHaus wrote:I was a little disappointed with Grenadier. The first and last episodes were both excellent, but everything in between was mediocre. I'd love to know how many bullets she actually kept between her breasts.

I thought the same about the series. A lot of the episodes in the middle had some of the dumbest dialogue. Doesn't Rushuna run out of ammo at one point in the show? It's too bad we don't see her "refill her ammo cache" otherwise we could just count the shots.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun May 20, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm watching Ergo Proxy right now and I'm LOVING IT!
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Sun May 20, 2007 6:03 pm

damn now i just remember an order of my mate watching Ergo proxy :D

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu May 24, 2007 6:52 pm

i recomend Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!

(yea i know long ass title) i like because its a not-so-normal high school romance anime. the couple is interesting enough. plus it has explosions... then again a lot of anime does.

Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! is a story centering around Mamoru Yoshimura, a young high school boy who gets accepted into a prestigious school for students endowed with the power of Beatrice due to his high intellect. Right after first entering the school on his first day, he meets the mysterious Ayako Takasu, also known as the Beatrice's Angel of Death, who is a pretty and popular female student whose Beatrice powers exceed most others. Moments later, Ayako, who has been known to never show a smile, suddenly confesses her strong feelings for Mamoru, despite having never met him before. That same day, he is brought in as a member of the student council as Ayako's aid as he becomes involved with the dangers and mysteries related to the power of Beatrice.

EDIT: its only in Japan right now if you want to watch it check out on youtube(Japanese with english subs).

pic of Mamoru(green hair) and Ayako(blue hair):
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 25, 2007 1:18 am

Kaminoyouni wrote:EDIT: its only in Japan right now if you want to watch it check out on youtube(Japanese with english subs).

In before drama.
The video quality from youtube is generally regarded as outright horrible, and a source of last resort for fansubs.

"Fansubs available from the usual sources" or "still only in fansub" are sufficient statements.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 am

Mr. Tines wrote:In before drama.
The video quality from youtube is generally regarded as outright horrible, and a source of last resort for fansubs.
well it works for me as its a site where i can watch stuff without have to download the latest video plug in or new program just to watch one episode.... although i am open to suggestions if you have somewhere better in mind.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri May 25, 2007 9:39 am

Kaminoyouni wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:In before drama.
well it works for me as its a site where i can watch stuff without have to download the latest video plug in or new program just to watch one episode.... although i am open to suggestions if you have somewhere better in mind.

CCCP (probably the most complete for windows)
VLC (windows, mac, linux, BSD)
mplayer (most complete but command line based)

My 2 year old version of mplayer has played everything I've ever downloaded in every file format no matter how old or bleeding edge. Video and audio codecs don't change very often. The newest codec is probably h264/mp4-10/AVC which came out in 2003, and once the standard has been drafted and accepted, it rarely ever changes. With a decent player and somewhere like tokyo toshokan (where fansubbers post their torrents), you'll probably have the episode downloaded before it shows up on Youtube (if it's a show that's currently being aired) plus you get to choose who is doing the translation.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Ornette wrote:mplayer (most complete but command line based)

Also MPUI which places enough of a UI over it so you never have to worry about the command line.

----------------------

Player and related advice moved to first post.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:25 am

Dam, I really need to update the first post :shock: . I have really gotten behind in my posting here. I might update it in a few weeks when I have some time after my exams.

Sorry to the EM forums crew for my absence :wink:
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Return to “Anime and Manga”