What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri May 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Fair enough, fair enough. Your reasons were along what I expected, though it still baffles me K-ON!!'s final episode wasn't the most touching graduation episode since Azumanga Daioh...

I rather liked Azunyan tho' :ehh:

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Finished Bounty Dog. Megumi Hayashibara is the hottest boss ever. Or so I'm told. Incredibly enough, the western DVD release doesn't come with a Japanese audio track, and the picture quality is pretty bad. What the hell, do I have to ask symbv to find me some Japanese Laserdiscs so I can donate them to some competent ripping group?

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri May 06, 2011 4:56 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Incredibly enough, the western DVD release doesn't come with a Japanese audio track, and the picture quality is pretty bad.
"Manga Entertainment"

I liked that OVA.

MotionBlue
Embryo

Postby MotionBlue » Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Watching the newest Ano Hana. Anime of the year so far.
"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him ( just ) as certainly...."
- Sir James George Frazer

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri May 06, 2011 8:10 pm

As Merri admitted, he did not get it this time. And even the confusion about Merri's "liking" of season 1 was not really that. Enough said (as I have explained my point of view already).

K-On is considered the highest achievement of moe anime, and the character design was so successful that it even managed to attract more non-moe fans (and found them inspiring) than the moe core. But the gap of enjoying this anime (and its characters) between the west and the east is much much bigger than I could have imagined. I guess it may be a lost cause for one brought up in western culture to really get how one can be emotionally linked to moe characters (or moe in general). I should no longer try to explain why K-On and its characters are attractive and charming to the west any more. END.
Last edited by symbv on Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I guess it may be a lost cause for one brought up in western culture to really get how one can be emotionally linked to moe characters (or moe in general). I should no longer try to explain why K-On and its characters are attractive and charming to the west any more. END.

There's hope! There's hope! It's just mostly a lost cause. I'm sure there's more people like me but we're select and few....
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:There's hope! There's hope! It's just mostly a lost cause. I'm sure there's more people like me but we're select and few....

Thanks a lot IrkenEvangelion :) Your words are a ray of light in the pitch dark clouds that have come out enveloping everything around me. You are truly inspiring and your encouragement could not have come at a better moment :boohoo:
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri May 06, 2011 8:30 pm

:D! Believe it or not, I went through a horrible breakup about two years ago and it kept being dragged out and stuff happen blah blah blah. Needless to say I was out of commission for awhile. Long story short, it was the emotion 'bonds' I made with the characters that helped me get through it and become better than I was before. So anime has changed my life.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat May 07, 2011 2:14 am

Watched Gosick and the Land of Sickness OVA of Kino's Journey. Gosick was ok and it was nice to see the main guy do something by himself for a change. LoS was good but not nearly as good as the original series. It was a little to predictable.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Sat May 07, 2011 3:24 am

Marathoned Martian Sucessor Nadesico. Had I not decided to nap for three hours after the first disc, I would've seen the movie as well.
TELL ME THERE ARE FAN TRANSLATIONS OF THE GAMES!?
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Sat May 07, 2011 3:30 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Thanks a lot IrkenEvangelion :) Your words are a ray of light in the pitch dark clouds that have come out enveloping everything around me. You are truly inspiring and your encouragement could not have come at a better moment :boohoo:

If it makes you feel any better, symbv, K-On!! was the first anime I transferred when I got my new computer, mostly due to the fact that I could randomly turn on any episode any given night to fall asleep with a smile.

When I was trying to describe my professor for one of my courses to somebody, I couldn't think of any better way to describe her other than calling her very moe (she's a rather young Asian professor, and one day... wow, well... she's just very moe). Of course then I had to try to explain moe to that person....

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks kuwisdelu!! Your words really cheered me up quite a bit. I re-watched a couple of K-On!! episodes and I am still amazed how much the anime and their characters achieved with so little (particularly on the "plot" side that western viewers tend to get obsessed over). It deserves its reputation as the best moe anime yet made and I still would like to see it as the best introduction to moe anime for anybody new to the genre. Haruhi was also a very good moe anime (its main characters all covered with moe tags) but it also has heavy element of adventure, exploration of mystery and supernatural; while Strike Witches is restricted to the fan-service moe confined to the core fans of such inclination, and of course it also has the sci-fi and action elements. K-On!! is purely on day to day school life and this is in fact one reason why it managed to appeal to so broad range of fans and why so many students found it emotionally relevant.

As a small token of thanks I would like to share with you and IrkenEvangelion and whoever who really and truly appreciates moe and K-On the latest cover of Animage magazine and its insert poster

now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Moving on with Gundam -- after the interminable trek across Asia, our heroes have now reached Ireland, and met a stereotypical redheaded Irish girl with a stereotypical Irish name like ... Miharu?

View Original PostMerridian wrote:the WWII shit and the pantsless loli battlemachines do give it a leg up
See guys, Merri understands why I listed fanservice and pantsu as separate items.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:You spoke like one of those western fans who don't get moe or don't like moe...
That's probably because I am one. I understand moe as in broken-bird Asuka, but I want something else beside -- it's a spice, not a staple.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Sat May 07, 2011 3:11 pm

K-ON! is far too sugary sweet for my tastes. >> Hell, most moe shows leave me unentertained or sick from enough sugary sweetness to give people diabetus.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat May 07, 2011 7:23 pm

View Original PostAlastor wrote:K-ON! is far too sugary sweet for my tastes. >> Hell, most moe shows leave me unentertained or sick from enough sugary sweetness to give people diabetus.

There are far more sugary sweet things coming from Japan... the anime aimed at little girls in Japan is one example. Anyway, different things for different people.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's probably because I am one. I understand moe as in broken-bird Asuka, but I want something else beside -- it's a spice, not a staple.

I have expected you to be one. (You don't get Haruhi, right?) Guess I should have made it clearer in my post :) I like your analogy -- I can fully understand why some would just like it as spice, although it seems your taste is not that spicy :)
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat May 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Another disappointing episode of Deadman Wonderland this week. I've about had it with the amazing spineless Ganta.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Just finished Rose of Versailles, one word: Beautiful.

"OSCAR!!!"
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 am

View Original PostAlastor wrote:Marathoned Martian Sucessor Nadesico. Had I not decided to nap for three hours after the first disc, I would've seen the movie as well.
TELL ME THERE ARE FAN TRANSLATIONS OF THE GAMES!?

The answer is sadly a resounding NO. There was a Thumbnail Theater parody that summarized the plot of first game and the subsequent movie, but that's about it. Nadesico: The Mission is super obscure, and chances are it'll never be translated. The show is cursed, and it'll never get a proper conclusion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:You don't get Haruhi, right?
That's right; it's a series where I never understood all the hype. Indeed it was one of the significant points at which I realized the truth in the saying that /a/ never talks about good anime.

The first season was mildly amusing in places, and the shuffled-up airing order gave some sort of hook, but it felt like it was throwing out every possible anime cliché in the book, in the hope that maybe some of them would stick. The characters themselves were neutral at best, irritating at worst.

So when the second season rolled around I just watched with detached amusement all the rage it generated.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Sun May 08, 2011 6:03 am

Just finished Macross Plus
Great animation
Great sound track
Amazing story

This being my first Macross title I had no idea what to expect (expect for music and love triangles).I plan on watching SDF Macross next, so I can understand the newer stuff.

SPOILER: Show
The only thing that confused me was how fast Isamu was able to forgive Guld. If their coms where open the entire time Guld was mumbling to himself that would explaing things. (also makes me wonder why characters in mech anime feel the need to ALWAYS talk to their enemy)
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Return to “Old Stickies”