What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:43 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Image

Gee, I wonder how long it has been since I watched an anime unspoilered.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Gee, I wonder how long it has been since I watched an anime unspoilered.

Geez, I don't think "then we blow the island" actually happened in it (or then my memory sucks again). And flying boulder shit happened in the end of ep 1.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Oh, I saw that boulder shit and thought that the island´s really gonna explode.
Sorry.

:/

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Watched Haurou Masuko. It was pretty good.
SPOILER: Show
I was surprised that the black-haired girl got the part she wanted but the kid with glasses got the other lead role.

Now all I have to do is wait impatiently for subs for Madoka and Fractale. :impatient:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm now half way through Linebarrels of Iron. All I can say at this point is that the fights have gotten better, but it's still waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fanservicey.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Guess you have decided not to come to Japan? as the movie will be out next weekend and very soon spoilers will be all over the place.

Kawamori even banned the track information or any clip to be played for the MacrossF sountrack, and draw the following as an apology to fan:

Perhaps you can rewatch the last movie Itsuwari no Utahime instead? I bet you must have already owned the DVD not just legally suspicious download?

And after all the pimping by Xard (and a bunch of EGF-ers) I have decided to spend 1300 yen to see what the hype is about. So I got this advance ticket yesterday:
Now I think to prepare myself at least I should watch Itsuwari no Utahime first? Must I watch the TV series as well?

View Original PostXard wrote:It truly impressed me in all ways (esp. art and animation which was mesmerizing, only thing that bothered me were those bug eyes) and the ending made me cry like few things before or since.

Embarrassing, to say the least

There is nothing to be ashamed of. This is how AIR the anime is supposed to affect the watchers. Sometimes I look nostalgically at those days when I was more innocent and more sensitive to feelings. AIR has conceited plot and character designs, but there is still a touching story written with sincerity. One day you may look back at those days more fondly than now... (feeling old myself now... (:| ) I think AIR as a starting point of anime journey is actually a good choice.......

View Original PostXard wrote: Really, I think Katanagatari was (or at least so I approached it) historical fantasy series through and through down to the "find magical item X" macguffin plot. It could've been straight out of some RPG.

I don't really think the magical items are just macguffin because unlike typical macguffin each katana offers a certain lesson to the protagonists (and thus the readers). In a typical macguffin what the item is does not matter, but I believe Nishio meticulously thought out what 12 katana should be like before writing them into the novel.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Not sure what you mean by "Finally", considering they did shows like Maria+Holic, Natsu no Arashi, Pani Poni Dash, etc. which are great quality throughout (even multiple seasons) that were produced alongside (same season) shows like Zetsubou Sensei and Bakemonogatari. I'd even throw Hidamari in there if it didn't look so simple to begin with.

Maria+Holic (early 2009) is GREAT, but Pani Poni Dash was from late 2005 so it seems to be long before the "shortage period" of 2009 that Xard was saying. For 2009-2010 works by Shaft, I would include Dance in the VampireBund, Hidamari Sketch 3rd season, Natsu no Arashi 2nd season and Arakawa Under the Bridge 1st & 2nd season (and of course Soredemo Machi wa mawatteiru).

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:The only changes in BD releases in the majority of anime is perhaps increasing the female characters' breasts, if at all

One thing I want to add for BD changes is that definitely MORE THAN character appearance changes are made during BD/DVD release. Fans in Japan are adept at checking changes made in BD and they could detect even correction of crack lines of a stone in the background or the shadow of leaves on a tree. I often have difficulty telling the changes even after I looked closely at the pre and after pics side by side on the web. What is clear is that almost ALL BD/DVD release have good number of changes made over the broadcast version -- and most are not really that visible to untrained eyes. Those that are made to the characters are only the small portion of changes that are most visible.
Last edited by symbv on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Watched Madoka. The episode was alright but things happened far to easily.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Front line report from the INFINITE STRATOS Ep.7 front:

FRANCE has fallen. Next target GERMANY !

How beautiful and charming France is....

SPOILER: Show

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:He's like a rapey Kaworu who paints.
Kind of like if EvilMangaKaworu had been taught to paint rather than play the piano.
So then he really isn’t any different from a usual Ishida character... BRB, downloading subs.
View Original PostXard wrote:Head. Is. Awesome. Fuck yes you are the best villain (well, closest to such thing) in ages! ... Think of Head as some sort of mix of Kaworu and Akio and you get close. Of course SD has much, much more going for it than just Akira Ishida.
And here I thought those troll scripts were the closest you’d ever get to that. Yep, I’m definitely going to watch, and hopefully pick up on what more it has along the way.
Honestly, Takuto is nearly my favourite mecha protagonist ever and character of rarest kind - awesome male lead.
Just out of curiosity, how and why?
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 am

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:So then he really isn’t any different from a usual Ishida character...

So far, yeah, though given Enokido's penchant for WHAT A TWEEST I wouldn't count on him staying that way: coming up on Sunday is his backstory episode, after all. And already Kaworu isn't the only NGE character he reminds me of - or even the one he reminds me of the most.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:So far, yeah, though given Enokido's penchant for WHAT A TWEEST I wouldn't count on him staying that way: coming up on Sunday is his backstory episode, after all. And already Kaworu isn't the only NGE character he reminds me of - or even the one he reminds me of the most.
Would you mind explaining that? I don't mind spoilers so you don't have to worry about dancing around anything important.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 am

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:Would you mind explaining that? I don't mind spoilers so you don't have to worry about dancing around anything important.

He gives off a strong vibe of Akio Ohtori, which is to be expected, same writer after all. But almost as strong, I would say, is his resemblance to
for the benefit of anyone who does mind spoilers  SPOILER: Show
Gendou: the thoroughly morally ambiguous father of the protagonist who can't face the failings of his past (possibly including the comatose state of his close friend and/or the death of the protagonist's mother, although it's not yet been made clear whether she's dead or just permanently estranged from him somehow) and so tries to drown them out by a callous abandonment of his son and a series of purely physical and vaguely self-destructive relationships with other women. At the same time he schemes some kind of apocalyptic event which will bring him the world he craves, abusing those around him as he sees fit. At the same time, however, it seems that he knows less about the powers he is manipulating than he thinks he does, and his plan for the entire conflict is driven by his emotions rather than because he actually knows what he's doing. A lot of it is standard-issue Freudian stuff of course, but it often comes off as Gendou-ish in execution.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 am

symbv wrote: Some wuxia novels also had similar treatment regarding good guys and bad guys. Yet another factor that reminded me of the wuxia literature I read....
Interesting. Like most others here, I’ve read zero wuxia literature :lol:

symbv wrote: I think most people expected some characters to last a bit longer.
I kinda wish a few characters lasted a lot longer, myself. I was a little disappointed by how quickly Shichika’s sister was killed off, but the story moved so quickly that it wouldn’t have made much sense for her plot to last any longer than it did. The main characters whose deaths I really wished could have been avoided were the sake lady with the 1000 swords—if only out of pure enjoyment of her character—and Houou, who deserved better than what he got.

As far as the dialogues go… :shrug: Some were great, others dragged, and many felt very boring to me.

symbv wrote: Well, if he died perhaps it would be satisfactory :) Hitei-Hime is not hurt at all despite what she did and how she contributed to Togame's death, and yet ended up pairing with Shichika. Many watchers found it difficult to understand.
Yeah, I guess I can understand why it’d spark some anger, but it’s a very fitting ending. By Togame’s own admission, she & Hitei were almost exactly the same, too alike in seemingly every way. Hitei was only Shichika’s enemy because she was Togame’s enemy. There was no fundamental difference between the two, at least in their mindsets, ambitions, etc. I was quite glad the two of them end up together at the end, actually.

Killing Shichika off at that point would have been an example of being predictable in a way that was “doing it wrong”

Xard wrote: Houou's fate hit me hard. It was so unfair and out of the left field - the guy was despite all one of the more honorable characters in the whole cast and pretty cool dude in general. To meet end like that's just...gahh. It wasn't the storyline itself but the way it was executed. Bluntly, coldly and without any sympathy.
yeah really. I kept hoping he’d return to sanity near the end, overcome the possession somehow from within, but that never happened. Of all guys, to take that awesome character and crush him like that was just… man

I was somewhat surprised the Penguin kid was killed off, actually. I didn’t think they’d go THAT far, but then again… it’s fitting but still sad.

Xard wrote: and number of "absurdist jidaigeki" pieces I know are... yeah I can't come up with any. Comparison to yakuza etc. genres isn't meaningful because Katanagatari isn't yakuza or noir or anything like that when it comes to genre.
none of that was really the point, either. Absurdist drama is pretty common, so I just didn’t see it as any big deal combining that with something resembling jidaigeki. Also, I could name at least one example of an “absurdist jidaigeki”. It’s nothing like Katanagatari, though.

Xard wrote: Really, I think Katanagatari was (or at least so I approached it) historical fantasy series through and through down to the "find magical item X" macguffin plot. It could've been straight out of some RPG.

Such nihilism and irreverence is anything but typical for the genre.
there is a LOT of unrelentingly dark fantasy stories out there, though. Maybe not so much in anime, but still… It might not be Slayers, but it’s definitely not the crushingly unrelenting depravity of Berserk :lol:

Xard wrote: overall the vision of story is incredibly bleak and nihilistic but because it's written in such flighty, non-seirous and irreverent way it feels much more uncaring than straight out depressive GRIMDARK would've felt.

I mean, even story of the incredibly cute "little snow girl" was depressive as hell.
:shrug: I dunno, it was just a reasonably dark take on that whole strength through overcoming adversity concept. It’s not like he gets all the way to the end only to fail at the feet of his enemy, or be crushed like a gnat while within sight of his goal, or some other depressing ending. That’s more like Sky Crawlers-nihilism :lol:

This applies to that little girl, too. She witnessed hell, but things get better. That’s why the story succeeds, it’s not all doom and gloom.

Synapsid wrote: Just out of curiosity, how and why?
I dunno about Xard’s reasoning, but I share the sentiment because the character is just awesome. He’s upbeat and reasonably innocent, plays the fool well and lets most negativity slide right off of him, and he can be one badass guy when shit hits the fan, yet none of these qualities are to overcompensating degrees. He’s a fun and all-around cool dude. Most of the mecha protagonists I’ve seen usually either embody some kind of extreme or try to appeal to some kind of “normal” standard. Shinji was the ultimate broken psychotic, Amuro was lolTomino, Simon went from pseudo-Shinji to ultra-manly, that one kid from Eureka Seven was a complete basketcase, etc. Takuto’s role in the narrative is like the stranger strolling into town to clean out all the rats, but instead of being the mischievous trickster-like character with dark, seemingly antiheroic qualities (a la Clint Eastwood or even Toshiro Mifune), Takuto retains his heroism in a way that appeals to all the traditional notions of heroics without sacrificing relatability. It’s difficult to craft a character that looks as natural chilling with his bro over a milkshake as he does piloting his giant robot, kicking ass and saving the day.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 am

I just finished episode 6 of the new season of Kimi ni Todoke....
UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
This show is WAY to stressful to enjoy. That one guy, I forget his name, the blond, he is an effing dick. I guess the show didn't really have one so they had to put it in.

It's like why can't those two just sit down and work it out? The preview for the next episode doesn't look any brighter either.. If they don't work things out by the time this season wraps up, there is going to be a hole in my wall.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I just finished episode 6 of the new season of Kimi ni Todoke....
UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
This show is WAY to stressful to enjoy. That one guy, I forget his name, the blond, he is an effing dick.
Yeah for real. Kent is a dick but Kazehaya needs to leap in front of a train already. He's pissing me off. Sawako would be better off without him, chillin with her fembros.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 am

I agree. He needs to step up. But in his head, he already confessed to her and she rejected him. And it's vise versa in her head!? Ugh. I can see how she could have misunderstood, because after years of mental abuse and loneliness she has a right to misunderstand things. They just need to start from scratch and sit down and work it out. But I guess there's not enough drama and hair pulling in that...
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:45 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I agree. He needs to step up. But in his head, he already confessed to her and she rejected him. And it's vise versa in her head!? Ugh.

Shoujo manga is full of attempts to work out what the other side thinks which often resulted in misunderstanding and misguidance. One important thing: I do not believe either thinks he/she has confessed. Both are still feeling the stones, so to speak. In Shoujo tradition, the moment of confession is often saved till the last moment -- this is an one-off try and if the other side is not ready and rejects then it is off forever, so there is a fear on both sides of actually making the confession. For this couple, one time one side thinks the distance has become shorter, but then something happens and then the distance suddenly looks further. Even Kurumi's antics failed to push them close enough to the point of confession. Now after a girl we have this boy that comes by who may be able to get the two closer yet.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 am

Watched Fractale. The episode was ok, although their pushing it a little to hard with the anti-fractale stuff. It would be nice to get the other side of the story.

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:18 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Kent is a dick but Kazehaya needs to leap in front of a train already. He's pissing me off.

I just keep waiting for him to DAZZLE the STAGE, and then get confused when he doesn't.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:The main characters whose deaths I really wished could have been avoided were the sake lady with the 1000 swords—if only out of pure enjoyment of her character

That was one of the most shocking episodes of anime I've ever seen. Meisai was practically Mother Teresa. Even if Shichica and Togame had managed to take away the thousand swords without killing her, that would still have been a horrifyingly immoral thing to do, considering what the swords were used for. No wonder that Shichika, once he learns to be a human instead of a killing machine, considers slaying Meisai to be his earliest loss in battle: The only possible way to "win" would have been to leave the temple and stop collecting the damn swords.

Return to “Old Stickies”