The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Crazy Penguin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Penguin [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:54 pm

The name changes are probably due to the fact that this movie will be made up of a bunch of America white guys and guyettes. You'd think that they'd at least try to keep the first letters of each name though. I'm glad that all they did with Ray's name was change the spelling though.

I imagine they'll rename Shinji to Shawn. Or at least they should to keep the "Sh" beginning. Blah.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 13:20 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Plum wrote:look this thread is to long and i don't want to read it so can sum 1 just pm me and tell me if thers going to be a eva live moive in the us?

if you really wanted to know, you would have read at least a few pages and found out.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 13:34 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm

As a random side note, here's a fine comment from http://eva.trivialbeing.net/ :
[quote]Written by Misty Yuy
[b]God you guys who arn't suportive of the new movie are a bunch of *****s. Sheesh

Can't you guys like GET a FOOKIN' grip and LIVE with it.. For christs sake the whole world does NOT revolve around you and what YOU want.. if you dont like it then DON"T BOTHER WATCHING IT. It is as simple as that but don't go fookin' it up for the rest of the world who want this. Thats just so god damn selfish of you lot who detest it. From what I have seen so far the production scetches look really sweet.

You all act like it's gonna be the end of Anime and the KILLING of Evangelion.. For christs sake IT"S NOT GOPNNA DIE DAMNIT! It's still gonna be around it's still gonna be popular... Some of you ppl who bitch and whine about G-Saviour are a bunch of stupid pansies too. I actually thought that movie was good. The graphics was fine! Although it coulda been a bit brighter but still.. it was well done especially considering the capabilities or all the time, work and dedication is involved in making something as long lasting as this. And not only that, some of the crew who worked on Lord Of The Rings trilogy (Who just HAPPEN to be New Zealanders *I am Australian btw.*) are responsible also in the dedication to the Evangelion LIVE movie.

So I say.. Push off and let them make the FOOKIN' movie DAMNIT!

Phew! And if any of you %#@!*$*# #*&#*#@(& $&#*@))%*# @&&)$#&# (#(&$&^#)@)&&%^#!!!!! Wanna take it up with an Aussie. Make sure you have someone diggin yer grave.

>End Mi-chan rant
So beware, there is a fanbase for this thing! :smash: Image

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 15:30 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Ikaruga wrote:Those look horrible. Ramiel looks like crap.

Indeed. As much as I love both Eva and Babylon 5, I don't think it's a good idea to turn Ramiel into flying Minbari-temple. Silly me, I didn't think it was humanely possible to f*** up Ramiel's design, but I know better now... Maybe the next thing they'll do is to change King Kong into some kind of tentacle monster (with lazer eyes, of course).

vice-commander Wilkinson (= Fuyutsuki): "What the hell is that thing?"
Michele (=Misato): "It appears to be the mothership."
vice-commander Wilkinson: "Then what did Ray just blow up?"
---
Michele: "The Hubble-telescope."

BTW, I can't wait to see what Reichu is going to say about the new look of her beloved Evas... :evil:

BTW, does anyone see any religious symbols anywhere? Even the NERV-logo? What does my little ear hear? Chop chop chop...

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:17 GMT

HimuraProns [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HimuraProns [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Image

Indeed. As much as I love both Eva and Babylon 5, I don't think it's a good idea to turn Ramiel into flying Minbari-temple. Silly me, I didn't think it was humanely possible to f*** up Ramiel's design, but I know better now... Maybe the next thing they'll do is to change King Kong into some kind of tentacle monster (with lazer eyes, of course).

vice-commander Wilkinson (= Fuyutsuki): "What the hell is that thing?"
Michele (=Misato): "It appears to be the mothership."
vice-commander Wilkinson: "Then what did Ray just blow up?"
---
Michele: "The Hubble-telescope."

BTW, I can't wait to see what Reichu is going to say about the new look of her beloved Evas... :evil:

BTW, does anyone see any religious symbols anywhere? Even the NERV-logo? What does my little ear hear? Chop chop chop...

I don't realy see [i]much[/i[ difrence between the Mechanical desing of the line art from the anime, then again I saw the anime more then a year ago....

And wasnt Tokyo III in the anime just a plain city covered in water?

Speaking of live action versions of anime, anyone remember the movie G-saviour that (I thought was a decent movie) most gundam fans considered so bad it was KICKED off the gundam timeline and deemed as a non gundam show?

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:29 GMT

tronica [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tronica [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Oh my god. Ramiel looks terrible, and what the hell is up with Asuka and Misato.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:34 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Plum wrote:look this thread is to long and i don't want to read it so can sum 1 just pm me and tell me if thers going to be a eva live moive in the us?

If you ignore all the smoke-and-mirrors over the past couple of days meant (probably) to increase interest in the prospect of a live-action Evangelion among the anime fandom niche so that ADV can have an easier time selling the concept to a proper studio, the answer is "no", or, at least, not anytime soon. Until they get a studio, this thing will never get out of early pre-production.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:51 GMT

Chibi Assassin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chibi Assassin [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Sounds like Misty needs to settle down, to me. Goodness. Talk about whining and bitching.Image
Sorry, but I don't respond well to hyperventillating and insults.

Although, I too am intrigued by the Eva movie. The way see it, it'll either go two ways: It'll be awesome or it's gonna suck.
If it turns out awesome, well, great. I'll be a happy girl. If it sucks, it sucks. I'll just never see it again. Either way, I'll wait til after I see this film to judge.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:51 GMT

Arsinol [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arsinol [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

I still think this movie is going to be horrible.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:53 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

HimuraProns wrote:And wasnt Tokyo III in the anime just a plain city covered in water?

No, Tokyo-3 is supposed to be a brand new fortress city and it sure as hell isn't in any way flooded.

Speaking of live action versions of anime, anyone remember the movie G-saviour that (I thought was a decent movie) most gundam fans considered so bad it was KICKED off the gundam timeline and deemed as a non gundam show?

If you consider G-Saviour "decent", I don't even want to know what kind of movies you generally watch. It deserved the kick, believe me.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 17:57 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Arsinol wrote:655321
65535 :)
I still think this movie is going to be horrible.
a safe assumption... but I want to see this movie get made, mediocre or not :)

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 19:16 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Ah, Zac Bertschy takes a similar position to my own in the latest Answerman column:

________________________________________ _______

Is it true that they are making an Evangelion live action film? I heard it was being made by Weta. I just heard this somewhere.

[b]Well, they aren't so much “making” the film as they are “shopping the idea around to various and sundry production houses”. ADV and Weta both have a vested interest in this film getting made, but according to the script they've apparently got written, the film is going to cost north of 100 million dollars. Considering the source material and what it's going to take to bring some of that stuff to life in live-action, 100 million dollars is pretty cheap. Weta is known for its obsessive attention to detail, Oscar-caliber special effects and ridiculously high price tag (in terms of effects costs), so the temptation must be there to farm the effects out to a cheaper house. There's no telling which, if any, studios are interested in producing this film; it's based on what can only really be described as a cult hit. Evangelion is big among anime fans, but even the nation's largest anime convention has trouble cracking the 20,000 mark in terms of attendance, and that just isn't a big enough number to impress a major studio. They've got a lot of work to do and some serious things to consider before they actually dive in to production.
You can find out a lot more about the Evangelion live-action film in the current issue of Newtype as well as a series of interviews on ADV's just-released Evangelion Director's Cut disc.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 21:30 GMT

JesusTheNinja [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JesusTheNinja [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Why change Ramiel? It's so damn cool as just a floating daimond-thing.

Do we know it takes place in Tokyo 3? Or even in Japan? 'Kate Rose' isn't the most Japanese sounding name out there.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 21:41 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Some people are so delusional they are saying Kate Rose is the name of the designer.

Yeah, right. I guess "Kate Rose Plug Suit Back View" is a very common name. As common as "Ray Plug Suit Back View".

http://www.madcaps.pwp.blueyonder.c...t-katerose2.jpg

http://www.madcaps.pwp.blueyonder.c...ept-rayback.jpg

Notice that it´s the same designer (if you can´t tell by simply looking and seeing it´s the same style, read the name on the last box).

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 21:48 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 pm

JesusTheNinja wrote:Why change Ramiel? It's so damn cool as just a floating daimond-thing.

Do we know it takes place in Tokyo 3? Or even in Japan? 'Kate Rose' isn't the most Japanese sounding name out there.

Tokyo 3 is now named "New City", it seems. :bday:

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 22:11 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 pm

in case somebody missed this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16790

several new preprod artworks

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 22:45 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:You forgot one thing:

Anno. Doesn´t. Give. A. Sh*t.

He turned his back to animation and doesn´t want go back. All he cares about this movie is if he gets any moeny in it.

I'm sorry I refuse to believe thats true.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 23:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:BTW, I can't wait to see what Reichu is going to say about the new look of her beloved Evas... :evil:

Pretty much the same thing as felineki (we're allies, after all Image), but with a little more composure.

As was already said, the Evas look totally Giger-fied. The original designs actually had some level of practicality to them (or perhaps they were just gradually simplified throughout the course of the design process to make them easier to animate Image), but there isn't really anything practical about what Weta's cooked up. They've taken the originals and layered on strange sinewy details and various unneeded intricacies without an iota of grace or functionality. I like the fact that the teeth are showing when their mouths are open, but that's it.

And maybe the Ramiel designs would be mildly cool if it wasn't supposed to be Ramiel. I don't even want to think about what they're doing to Adam's other young'uns. I bet Sachiel's stylized barn owl face would get the boot for something far more "ominous" -- like a realistic skull with freaky eyes in it, or something. (And BTW, y'all, Ramiel's an octahedron, not a diamond.)

The fish tanks they've got the Evas in don't impress me. And why'd they make the Command Center so dark and dismal? People are supposed to work there, after all; you're supposed to make them feel like they're in a comfortable working environment, not give them the creeps. (Though, oddly, I think it'd work if it was supposed to be for the ill-fated Antarctic installation.) The anime's C.C. is cheerful and inviting in comparison. ("Attention, K-Mart shoppers...")

There are so few similarities to NGE, they might as well just call the Evas something different, redesign them into something entirely unrecognizable, and plug this as some new project "loosely inspired" by NGE, not something intended to be a cinematic adaptation of the original.

But, hey, there might still be hope... Most of the LotR beasties look helluva cool onscreen, whereas most of the concept art on the DVDs is kind of bleh.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 23:33 GMT

tenchiwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tenchiwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:19 pm

Since when is Rei a fat chick? She looks like some chunky, greasy cosplayer!

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 23:38 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:19 pm

Reichu wrote:And why'd they make the Command Center so dark and dismal? People are supposed to work there, after all; you're supposed to make them feel like they're in a comfortable working environment, not give them the creeps.

If that was their thinking they never would have let Gedno work there. Image

But I agree, Nerv (As well as Toyko-3) looked very real, and practical. It was a nice change that made it different from most animes with secret agencies. And added very nicely to the atmosphere of the show.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2004, 23:54 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”