Character heights v.2

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:54 pm

The original title of "Gunbuster" was "Top o nerae!", or "Aim for the Top!", just so no one gets confused. I saw it a summer or two ago; it was good from what I recall, though I really need to see it again. The mechs were kind of dopey-looking (then again, I think most mechs are), but the aliens were very cool, very unique. The music by Kouhei Tanaka is quite good, as well (I've seen his name pop up here and again and he tends not to disappoint me).

I've taken the liberty of scanning in the image I believe Wigs-sama is referring to, a line drawing produced for the reference of the animators showing the primary Lilim players to scale with one another, published in Newtype 100% Collection. Enjoy. By using the height of a beer can relative to Misato-san as a guide, we can thus figure out the exact heights of all these characters! [Optimistically, anyway.]

But what of the Evas and Angels? GAINAX is non-committal on the heights of the Evas, but they seem to have a fairly consistent size relative to the Lilim characters in Cage shots. Using that as a guide, it should be possible to get a fairly good estimate of their height (depending on what set of proportions one decides to apply to the Evas -- GAINAX is pretty inconsistent on that front, as well). I prepared a very crude size comparison chart of the Evas and Angels (with the T-RIDEN-T Landcruiser from "Girlfriend of Steel" thrown in for fun), which I wouldn't mind getting input on. Check that out, too. The katakana says "KAWORU", for those who can't read it.

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 04:20 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Keel looks -VERY- out of place in that image. Image

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 04:23 GMT

Siendra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siendra [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Gunbuster pummel's Eva into the ground (imo), well, atleast in some respect's.

-The music
-Finale
-Scientific merit
-Lasting quality (Even today, something like 15 year's later, it still look's good)

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 05:57 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Reichu wrote:But what of the Evas and Angels? GAINAX is non-committal on the heights of the Evas, but they seem to have a fairly consistent size relative to the Lilim characters in Cage shots. Using that as a guide, it should be possible to get a fairly good estimate of their height (depending on what set of proportions one decides to apply to the Evas -- GAINAX is pretty inconsistent on that front, as well). I prepared a very crude size comparison chart of the Evas and Angels (with the T-RIDEN-T Landcruiser from "Girlfriend of Steel" thrown in for fun), which I wouldn't mind getting input on. Check that out, too. The katakana says "KAWORU", for those who can't read it.

I remember GAINAX giving some "official" Eva-proportions for the Sega Saturn game Super Robot Wars F (Wigs mentioned this in the past, surprise surprise). I think they stated Eva's height to be something between 40-200 metres, depending on the situation... Image

That comparison chart is cool and it looks fairly accurate. I never truly realized how big Matariel actually was Image
Two questions though: Shouldn't Armisael's ring-form be a lot bigger? And is Zeruel truly that small?!?

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 07:47 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I remember GAINAX giving some "official" Eva-proportions for the Sega Saturn game Super Robot Wars F (Wigs mentioned this in the past, surprise surprise). I think they stated Eva's height to be something between 40-200 metres, depending on the situation... Image

That comparison chart is cool and it looks fairly accurate. I never truly realized how big Matariel actually was Image
Two questions though: Shouldn't Armisael's ring-form be a lot bigger? And is Zeruel truly that small?!?

Matariel looks way oversized, and Ramiel and Armisael look too small; Look at the shots of Ramiel's carcase dominating the skyline of Tokyo 3, and I thought that Armisael was at least a mile across...

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 20:01 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Well, Matariel is mostly legs and they are damn long...

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 20:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

[Edit: The forum doesn't seem to want to imbed my images for some reason... \/\/h0r3. ::P]

Dr. Nick wrote:I think they stated Eva's height to be something between 40-200 metres, depending on the situation... Image

Hence why I said "noncommittal". ;;>

Shouldn't Armisael's ring-form be a lot bigger?

That's what I thought, too. However, consider that, in Armisael's fused state, Zerogouki's hand fits rather neatly around her. So, I considered the difference in width before and after Armisael "fused" and based the scale accordingly. If Armisael's "hula-hoop" form were any bigger than I made it in my scale chart, Zerogouki wouldn't be able to clutch the vile worm. ::>

And is Zeruel truly that small?!?

Well... Hmm... He might need to be a little taller. Here are some screenshots that seem to best illustrate the height difference:

EVA-00 + Zeruel
EVA-02 + Zeruel
EVA-01 + Zeruel 1
EVA-01 + Zeruel 2

And a couple I like for my own weird and perverse reasons: 1 2

Shin-seiki wrote:Matariel looks way oversized

Matarael [that is the official spelling, BTW] is the correct scale. Newtype 100% Collection's published drawings of the shito included little doodles of the Evas to show the scale for Gaghiel, Israfel (combined form only), Matarael, Sahaquiel, and Leliel (shadow). The others required some more improvisation...

Look at the shots of Ramiel's carcase [sic] dominating the skyline of Tokyo 3

Hmm, indeed... Ramiel does look a bit small to me, as well, and I didn't base her size on anything especially concrete. Looking back, episode 6 tells us that her drill has a diameter of 17.5 meters (whoa...), so once I figure out where in that 40~200 meter range the Evas most substantially fall, I'll be able to scale Ramiel accordingly.

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 12:43 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:And a couple I like for my own weird and perverse reasons: 1 2

In picture two, where is Shogouki's horn?!? Does it go inside Zeruel's eye? Image

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 13:32 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:In picture two, where is Shogouki's horn?!? Does it go inside Zeruel's eye? Image

Indeed it does. This isn't really clear in episode 19, but Sadamoto-san elaborated upon it in his manga version of the same scene. Gore! Yay! Here's a snippet of the relevant panels.

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 15:07 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks for providing the scans Reichu, yes that is the one I was referring to.

As for the Eva dimensions, the official range is indeed, "40 ~ 200 m tall and 700 ~ 96 000 t heavy".

Originally the Gainax staff never settled on an exact height and weight for the Evas. They "modified" them according to the situation, in some cases making them much bigger (bigger than the buidlings) in some cases smaller. The reason being they didn't want to be tied down and so this variation allowed for more dramatic scenes. (Asuka in Eva-02 climbing up a building for instance).

I think the same applies to the Angels. They change size relative to the size the Evas happen to be during that episode.

Also in the file I have on dimensions in the Eva universe I've got written that Misato is 163cm tall but that it isn't said for the other characters. Now for the life of me I can't remember where I got that 163 figure from.

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 15:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

MDWigs wrote:Now for the life of me I can't remember where I got that 163 figure from.

Well, wherever you got the 163 from, Wigs-sama, it's all we have! Based on that figure, I went ahead and calculated the height (in cm) of the other characters in that image (measuring from the back of the foot to the top of the head). For those of us who are silly Americans (myself included) and haven't adopted something as nifty as the metric system, I've attempted to convert everything into feet and inches, as well, though I might've screwed up. (Definitely not as accurate as centimeters...)

Ikari Gendou - 184 (6')
Kouzou Fuyutsuki - 183.5 (6')
Kaji Ryouji - 178.5 (5'10")
Aoba Shigeru - 176 (5'9")
Hyuga Makoto - 174.5 (5'9")
Akagi Ritsuko - 165 (5'5")
Ibuki Maya - 160 (5'3")
Keel Lorenz - 159 (5'3")
Suzuhara Touji - 150.75 (4'11")
Sohryuu Asuka Langley - 150 (4'11")
Ikari Shinji - 148 (4'10")
Hikari Horaki - 147.75 (4'10")
Aida Kensuke - 145.25 (4'9")
Ayanami Rei - 143 (4'8")
Pen-Pen - 61.5 (2')

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 16:01 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

I found 163 in another file of mine as well. Though it's weird, becuase I don't remember writing anything in this file, and the structure is rather strange.

It's from a file called "ngeinfo.txt" , last modifed on the 06/08/2000 and in the "Info on Characters:" section it has the following...

* Katsuragi, Misato:
Blood Type: AO
Height: 163
Father died during 2nd impact.
Lived with Kaji.
When Fuyutsuki was abducted she was kept in the 4th isolation ward (Located in Nerv HQ).
Was the sole survivor of the research team during 2nd impact.
Didn't speak for 2 years after 2nd impact.
First joined Gehirn in Germany, was stationed in the 3rd branch.

None of the information for all the other characters in that file contains any heights.

I'll have another look and see if I can pin down the exact reference. I really need to clean up all this stuff one day and archive it properly.

That breakdown looks great Reichu, all of the heights see to fit with the characters.

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 16:18 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

I always thought that Aoba was taller than Hyuga but then again I never actually saw them stand upImage

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 23:25 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:56 pm

How tall do you think Yui was? In the flash back she look very tall in comparison to Fuyutsuki, if the proportions are correct I would say any ware from 5'4" to 5'7". But it is hard to tell, they never show they in a good shot to really tell. I could be way off.

Originally posted on: 28-Aug-2003, 00:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Actually, this picture from episode 26 shows Yui's height relative to Gendou very nicely. I'd say she falls between Hyuga and Aoba in height, which makes her about 175, or 5'9". Pretty tall for a Japanese chick. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Aug-2003, 03:14 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Actually, this picture from episode 26 shows Yui's height relative to Gendou very nicely. I'd say she falls between Hyuga and Aoba in height, which makes her about 175, or 5'9". Pretty tall for a Japanese chick. Image

Pretty tall for any chick! Image

Edit- I guess we know how tall Rei would be when she is that age right? She is a clone of her body after all, so I would guess she would be the same hight.

Originally posted on: 28-Aug-2003, 03:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:56 pm

tv33 wrote:Pretty tall for any chick! Image

Well, I have her beat -- I'm 5'11". ::maniacal laughter::

Just for fun, I went and figured out Naoko's height as well. (There's a nice pic in episode 21 that shows her standing next to Gendou.) She's actually slightly taller than her daughter, about Misato's height, 163 (5'4").

And for the Kaworu fangirls, I tried to figure out "eggnog boy" (according to HimuraProns, anyway). He seems to be about the same height as Hikari, which makes him approximately 147.75, or 4'10".

MDWigs wrote:As for the Eva dimensions, the official range is indeed, "40 ~ 200 m tall and 700 ~ 96 000 t heavy".

Despite their penchant to change size relative to buildings as the animators' whimsy dictates, the Evas, as I've mentioned, have a fairly consistent size relative to Lilim. Based on the height Wigs-sama provided for Misato, her size relative to Shogouki's head in episode 1, and a straight frontal profile of Shogouki provided in Newtype 100% Collection, EVA-01 is approximately 51 meters tall (from the top of the head to the bottom of the foot, not counting any of the kousokugu). Sounds about right, ne?

So, with the Evas' "actual" height in hand, I went ahead and rescaled Ramiel. If the drill is 17.5 meters in diameter, that's about the same as the distance from the top of an Eva's head to the top of her hips, which makes Ramiel really f*ck*ng big. She easily takes the cake for "largest angel" (too bad for Sahaquiel). Here's the revised chart.

Originally posted on: 28-Aug-2003, 03:38 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:So, with the Evas' "actual" height in hand, I went ahead and rescaled Ramiel. If the drill is 17.5 meters in diameter, that's about the same as the distance from the top of an Eva's head to the top of her hips, which makes Ramiel really f*ck*ng big. She easily takes the cake for "largest angel" (too bad for Sahaquiel). Here's the revised chart.

That is a nice chart. I had no idea Ramiel was so big, it is hard to tell from episodes 5 or 6 how large it really is. I also did not think Matarael was that large either. And I like the Uber-Rei eye Image.

Very Nice! Image

Originally posted on: 29-Aug-2003, 00:33 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:56 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reichu
Well, I have her beat -- I'm 5'11". ::maniacal laughter::

Man! You're taller than me!!!! Image

[B}And for the Kaworu fangirls, I tried to figure out "eggnog boy" (according to HimuraProns, anyway). He seems to be about the same height as Hikari, which makes him approximately 147.75, or 4'10".[/B]

If you haven't, most likely you did, you can use the scene in eps 24 where they're showering together...

Originally posted on: 29-Aug-2003, 00:45 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

There is also this picture from EoE.

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/albu...eiandKaworu.jpg

Originally posted on: 29-Aug-2003, 00:51 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”