What's up with The End of Evangelion?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

And, of course, we have Asuka:

That she's winking with her left eye...

and gesturing with her right hand...

somehow doesn't strike me as a mere coincidence.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 13:18 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

And we have Rei's face obscured:

which may be indicating that she will be around in the post 3I world:

and yet not around:

at least not in the same sense as the others...

And of course, in the "photo", as Reichu is hinting, it may as significant who is not present, as who is.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 13:19 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Can anybody tell what that is? Does Hyuga have a shotgun? Image
Also, I wouldn't analyse the picture too much, because while it does seem to represent the future in a sense, it is a photograph from the past (or an imagined photograph) so Kaworu isn't there because Shinji hadn't met him yet. Gendo isn't the sort who'd pose for a freindly group photo, especially in Shinji's imagination (In episode 15, Gendo expresses an apathy toward photographs, preferring to keep memories in his mind). Yui wouldn't be in a photo like that for fairly obvious reasons. I'm not sure about Kozo, it seems like Shinji knows him about as well as he knows the bridge staff, but perhaps Shinji associates him with Gendo.
I guess I'm just saying there's no reason to use it as an indicator of who is and isn't going to come back after EoE, although I suppose there's nothing wrong with interpreting it that way. I suppose Yui wouldn't come back because her soul is in outer space, Gendo wouldn't come back because Yui's gone and his last scene in EoE suggests he wouldn't consider himself worthy of returning. Perhaps Kozo wouldn't come back because he's at peace, now that it's all over?
Kaworu's a bit of a different story, and it's hard to label one way or the other. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't come back, perhaps because there's no indicator of whether or not the angels are able to return, and perhaps because the Adam/Lilith hybrid seems effectively "dead" at the end, but the body is still present, I'm not sure what that means. Given Kaworu's parallelism to Rei, perhaps he'll also become a floating spirit who pops in randomly.
Also, I think if he really came back, the way Asuka does, it'd make Shinji pretty happy, and the universe seems to be intent on preventing that Image

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 15:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:and gesturing with her right hand...
some doesn't strike me as a mere coincidence.

Well, just to be devil's advocate: Which hand is she supposed to gesture with? And Shinji's doing a gesture with his right hand, as well.

(The winking bit is cute, though. Image )

This image could also reflect a post-EoE condition where Hikari and Pen^2 are concerned. She would've only had the bird for, like, two or three days (= liberal guess) before 3I, but, well... "He's my penguin now, bitch!"

Rei looks like she's floating in the photo, too. Unless she suddenly got a whole lot taller.

And of course, in the "photo", as Reichu is hinting, it may as significant who is not present, as who is.

Yessum. Chances seem high that this photo -- which follows immediately upon "red earth --> forest --> bustling street" -- represents the fulfillment of a "post-3I restoration" of the main cast. Well, save those four.

If Yui is not there because she left Earth -- and thus wouldn't be around for the post-3I restoration -- is it possible that the other three are with her...?

EDIT:

LuigiHann wrote:Can anybody tell what that is? Does Hyuga have a shotgun?

It's Kensuke's.

Also, I wouldn't analyse the picture too much I guess I'm just saying there's no reason to use it as an indicator of who is and isn't going to come back after EoE, although I suppose there's nothing wrong with interpreting it that way.

As a general rule, context tends to be a pretty reliable guide.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 15:45 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

LuigiHann wrote:Image
Can anybody tell what that is? Does Hyuga have a shotgun? Image

Is that something Kensuke is holding, say a toy gun, perhaps?
Reichu wrote:Yessum. Chances seem high that this photo -- which follows immediately upon "red earth --> forest --> bustling street" -- represents the fulfillment of a "post-3I restoration" of the main cast.

That this pic appears as Shinji is saying "Still, I want to see them again..." seems to indicate something along those lines...

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:01 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

I wouldn't expect Keel to be there -- everyone in that image is both somebody Shinji knows and a member of the main cast. (Keel happens to be one of the few named characters who doesn't count.)

I'd say he's a member of the main cast. He's in the opening theme and he is shown in production sketches in a heigth chart with the rest of the main cast. He's in plenty of episodes as well.

Yui=Eva, Kaworu=Adam, Eva is made from Adam, thus... Kaworu is Yui's mom!

Yeah if I use the same kind of logic this happens.... so Keel is blind, love is blind, god is love, Eva-01 is god (according to some rather innaccurate translations), Eva-01 is Yui. Therefore Keel is Yui.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:That this pic appears as Shinji is saying "Still, I want to see them again..." seems to indicate something along those lines...

The line that you refer to -- which finishes, "...because I think that my feelings at that time were real" -- begins exactly when people appear on the empty street. The photo is just part of the greater context of this scene, wherein proper living conditions are about to be reestablished on Earth and individuality guaranteed for all (whether they want it or not).

And hence, bare red Earth is restored to a forest, and an empty street becomes filled with people once again. And three people are still unaccounted for.

Nobody else's curiosities are being sparked about this detail?

Seele08 wrote:I'd say [Keel]'s a member of the main cast.

I never said he wasn't. He's still a named character that Shinji doesn't know, hence the exclusion from the three group assemblies I've drawn attention to.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:26 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Seele08 wrote:I'd say he's a member of the main cast. He's in the opening theme and he is shown in production sketches in a heigth chart with the rest of the main cast. He's in plenty of episodes as well.

Yes, but Shinji never met him. That's the essential critierion for that photograph.

Yeah if I use the same kind of logic this happens.... so Keel is blind, love is blind, god is love, Eva-01 is god, Eva-01 is Yui. Therefore Keel is Yui.

I would have said "questionable" translations - that word is still used by the Japanese when they mean the Judeo-Christian god, but the connotations it carries within their own society and their own mythology are entirely different.

In any case, I don't think Reichu was serious about that piece of reasoning. God knows, I hope not.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:28 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Shinji didn't meet him but he's still a main cast member or at least this pic seems to say so....

Than again it's probably a good thing they never met....they are kind of both whiny in different ways...combined they could raise the most unholy whining known to mankind.

Is it just me or does this photo seem to look something like a prison photo. What did they go to jail for? Defacing Jet Alone (like it could look any worse) with graffiti?

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:33 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Seele08 wrote:Shinji didn't meet him but he's still a main cast member or at least this pic seems to say so....

Yeah, I'll grant that. However, the function of that picture appears to be to show those whom Shinji is anticipating seeing again some day. Since he's not met Keel, he would have neither positive nor negative thoughts about him, and would not imagine meeting him again.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:35 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

IF he did meet him at any time I can hardly imagine him having positive thoughts about him...he's a grumpy old cyborg...its kind of hard to have positive thoughts about some thing like that. (Except for me his lone fangirl).

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:38 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Reichu wrote:...And three people are still unaccounted for.

Nobody else's curiosities are being sparked about this detail?

Well I know where you're going with this, but, out of curiosity, did Mr. Tines' comment about the male anglerfish prompt this line of reasoning, or were you thinking this way on your own beforehand?

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Well I know where you're going with this, but, out of curiosity, did Mr. Tines' comment about the male anglerfish prompt this line of reasoning, or were you thinking this way on your own beforehand?

Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with anglerfish. What did I say that implies I was taking this in such a direction? Image (That is, if I'm even understanding you right.)

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 16:53 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:Well I know where you're going with this, but, out of curiosity, did Mr. Tines' comment about the male anglerfish prompt this line of reasoning, or were you thinking this way on your own beforehand?

If you know where Reichu's going with this, d'you think you could share? Personally, I left my decoder ring in my other pants, and the anglerfish comment just makes me even more confused. Image Image

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 17:00 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Soluzar wrote:However, the function of that picture appears to be to show those whom Shinji is anticipating seeing again some day.

That would explain the absense of Gendo and Kaworu (who each betrayed Shinji) and Kozo likely got grouped in with Gendo, is my best guess.
Is that something Kensuke is holding, say a toy gun, perhaps?

Oh, now it makes sense. I don't know how I missed that.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 18:07 GMT

Mr. sickVisionz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. sickVisionz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:23 pm

I just got EoE yesterday and I have one question. One thing that really sticks out in my head as just "huh?"...:

Why does Shinji choke out Asuka at the end of the movie? I'm pretty sure that he doesn't kill her in the long run, but I never really got a good grasp of why he started to in the first place.

PS: Does anyone else think that EoE is perhaps one of the worst dubs ever done? I bought the platinum collection and to me, the dubs are great. Well, I won't say great, but I didn't notice them. But with EoE... its horrible. a lot of lines you can tell are supposed to be serious, but someone says it in like the stupidest way. Then they put goofy as sound effects underneath stuff.

Its funny cuz when you listen to the commentary track, they act like all this goofball stuff they did actually makes the film better.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 18:13 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:23 pm

Soluzar wrote:If you know where Reichu's going with this, d'you think you could share? Personally, I left my decoder ring in my other pants, and the anglerfish comment just makes me even more confused. Image Image

Anglerfish? Those things are really ugly....I'm a fish lover and I still think those things are ugly. But I have no clue what that has to do with Gendo, Kozo, Keel, Yui, and Kaworu....unless maybe someone is saying that Kaworu has a hidden lantern tentacle thingy on his forehead...

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 18:16 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:23 pm

LuigiHann wrote:That would explain the absense of Gendo and Kaworu (who each betrayed Shinji) and Kozo likely got grouped in with Gendo, is my best guess.

Yeah, that was my thought. Although in the case of Kaworu, I think Shinji would still be glad to see him again. He just doesn't think it's possible. In the case of Gendo and Kozo, I think that Shinji probably doesn't care what happens to either of them. You'd have to assume that he resents them for putting him through this whole mess.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 18:18 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:23 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:did Mr. Tines' comment about the male anglerfish prompt this line of reasoning

For the benefit of the perplexed, the context is
http://www.animenation.net/forums/s...ish#post5446659
and the reference is to the parasitic nature of the male of that species.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:Why does Shinji choke out Asuka at the end of the movie?

Good question. Not one that has a good answer.

The common explanation is to provoke a reaction from her, and thus prove that he is back in the real world again - but that raises the question of "why not do something less drastic to start with?"

It could be that he's carrying on from where he left off in the kitchen scene in instrumentality, or that he is taking Asuka's last words in Instrumentality "If I have to be with you, I'd rather die!" literally. He stops when she strokes his cheek, though, and blubs enough to disgust her.

As for the dub.... Let's not go there.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 18:40 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:23 pm

I don't think that Gendo is a parastic gonad of Yui....that's one of the weirdest and worst theories yet...I hope it was a joke.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2006, 18:45 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”