More "you never see this stuff just once"

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

I don't see what you want me to see, I don't think.
The fusion of Chibi-Asuka and Creepy-Doll-Asuka looks kind of like Creepy-Chibi-Rei, but only because of the creepy smile. Rei's tormented fantasies toward the end have clones in them, but they're presented in a different sort of context.
Then again, I didn't understand much of that scene from 22' in the first place, so I'll have to go back and rewatch it, because your screenshots aren't quite clicking in my head yet.

Originally posted on: 04.18.2006, 06:00 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I don't see what you want me to see, I don't think.

Just what's there. Image

The fusion of Chibi-Asuka and Creepy-Doll-Asuka looks kind of like Creepy-Chibi-Rei, but only because of the creepy smile.

That's the first connection my brain made, yep. I think there might be more to it than that, though.

Rei's tormented fantasies toward the end have clones in them, but they're presented in a different sort of context.

For whatever reason, Asuka's "clones" are all wearing smiles and giggling inanely, too...

In any case, both the dolls and the 'clones' have these leers, and they're all various "representations" of Asuka, in a sense. For example, the hanging doll is apparently the other half of Kyoko's "double suicide". ("Please die with me!")

Just in case it has any relevance whatsoever, none of them have actual eyes, either. Or, in the clones' cases, none that we can see. The latter, at least, might have a link-up with the many cuts in which Asuka's eyes are obscured by that common "brow shadow" visual device.

Speaking of no eyes, Asuka the Maggoty suddenly invades the sanctity of my brain -- but, uh, I'm still boggling over that one. So forget I mentioned it, and think happier thoughts.

Then again, I didn't understand much of that scene from 22' in the first place, so I'll have to go back and rewatch it, because your screenshots aren't quite clicking in my head yet.

I really don't get it all, either. Image The part with Shinji is referenced to death (for obvious reasons Image ), but the rest of the scene hasn't gotten a whole lot of attention... (If, like, any.) Huh. I have some very vague inklings, but they're going to have to roll around in the tumbler of my brain for a while.

Originally posted on: 04.18.2006, 07:40 PM

zuggy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zuggy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Reichu wrote:Attack of the Clones!

There is a similar shot for all the Rei clones (I did a version of that where they all had cigarettes), dunno from which episode though.

Originally posted on: 04.19.2006, 05:17 AM

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Reichu wrote:Attack of the Clones!

btw Reichu, where did that image come from?

Oh, and I'd like to see the cig smoking clone picture

Originally posted on: 04.22.2006, 09:48 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Ornette wrote:btw Reichu, where did that image come from?

'Tis from Groundwork of Evangelion Vol. 3.

Originally posted on: 04.23.2006, 12:46 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

More randomness...

Episode #19

IBUKI (OFF):
The pulses have vanished.
It's rejecting the dummy plug.

IBUKI:
It's no use! Eva Unit 01 won't activate!

RITSUKO:
The dummy, Rei...

FUYUTSUKI:
It won't accept them?

IKARI (OFF):
Fuyutsuki...

IKARI:
I'm leaving you in charge for a bit.

Episode #25'

Fuyutsuki:
The JSSDF have committed almost an entire division...
It's only a matter of time before they take us over completely.

Gendo:
Fuyutsuki-sensei, take care of things here.

Fuyutsuki:
I understand. Give my regards to Yui.

Originally posted on: 04.24.2006, 08:32 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Episode #20

Misato:
What's that?

Kaji (OFF):
A present for you, the first in eight years.

Kaji:
Though it may be the last.

Episode #26'

Gendo:
I've been waiting for this moment for so long... To finally be with you again, Yui.

A little later...

Yui: Image
Gendo: I'm in my heaven. All is right with the world.
Yui: :chomp:

Episode #25

Yui: Shinji, let's go. Abandon the integrity of your ego and any traces of sanity you may have left. You have been chosen by the Divinity Trinity to determine humanity's fate.
Shinji: Who ever said I wanted to do that?!? Mom, you suck! How can you do this to me?!?
Yui: Because (A) I'm God, (B) I'm your mother, and (C) these are our final moments together and you'll miss me once I'm gone. That's why.
Shinji: Fair enough. But I'm still pissed off.

The point of these last two is that we have Yui-sama, in her Now and Future God-Incarnation, holding the Ikari boys in her very large fists. With Shinji, we get the "normal" EVA-01, the one that he's familiar with. She holds him in her righty. Gendo, on the other hand, is greeted by a "freaky"* EVA-01, whose appearance recalls Yui's bousou antics in #19 (which Gendo watched with a grin on his face). She holds him in her lefty.

The scene in #25 seems to complement the one in #25' right after Kyoko-sama and Asuka die, where Yui breaks free of her bakelite prison and insists that Shinji hop in. Enter her body, if you will. In mere moments, it seems that Gendo will be entering her body, too, albeit via another route.

* That's literally what the script says. In English.

Originally posted on: 04.24.2006, 08:57 AM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

I think the blocking differes, but Gendo does that "Fuyutsuki, take care of things here" in Episode 1 and Episode 11, as well. I think in both of those cases he says it from his little one-person elevator though.
I'm also surprised that you didn't throw the Eva01-holding-Kaworu shot into that post, just for the sake of completeness.

Originally posted on: 04.24.2006, 10:13 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

The LCL Sea scene has other correlates throughout the series, I've noticed. Magami sorta started the chain reaction in my brain over in this thread, but I decided not to go totally crazy with "you never see this stuff just once" there because it was sorta off-topic. (Some interesting comments nonetheless -- check them out.)

This is one that Shin-seiki noted a while back (for the episode #02 commentary), that I'll just post for the hell of it...

Couple more later...

Originally posted on: 06.12.2006, 08:07 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I diverted the "version with comments" into my 'mother figures' thread, but we'll post the pics here anyway, just for the sake of completeness.

Variations of a particular Shinji image turn up multiple times in #16...

When Shinji stirs, after the entry plug is opened.

And in the hospital, when Shinji first wakes up.

After everyone leaves and Shinji's alone again, he collapses, and...

"The smell of blood won't come off." This one shows up again in #20, in the interchange Shinji has with himself that concludes, "No, this is the smell of my mother."

Of the three, the latter is the most directly echoed in #26'.

"Where am I?" (alt. "Where are we?") / "Am I dead?"

(But I'm kinda at a loss for how it fits in, otherwise.)

Originally posted on: 06.12.2006, 12:48 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

More Shinji/Gendo parallelism...

This one again:

Complemented by this one:

Also, this one might be stretching it, but I figured I'd put it here anyway. A correlation just sort of popped into my head "for no obvious reason".

Well... Hey, you never know.

Originally posted on: 06.12.2006, 01:02 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Oh noes! Diversion into mother figures thread generated off-topic content that should probably go here instead! Well, I can try, at least...

LuigiHann wrote:I guess this would better go in the other thread mentioned, but that pic of Misato crying over the entry plug...

...brings to mind the shots of Gendo and Shinji over Rei's plug, which of course mirrored each other already.

Yeah, that popped into my head, too, when I was preparing the screenshots from #16. Would add the paralleled Gendo/Shinji scenes now, but I haven't capped the #06 scene yet... ("Crap.")

Jabberwok wrote:Not to wander too much into this thread, but I've always liked to think that Shinji's line in the aforementioned scene, "I just wanted to see you one more time", was not being directed to Misato but past her...

Hmm, I dunno. Just on a technical note, Shinji isn't specifying who he's talking about: "Tada, aitakatta 'n da. Mou ichido..." Basically what Platinum translates it as, just with no "you". (Originally, they used "wanted to see them" instead, I think. Don't feel like checking right now.) This is echoed later on...

"But I thought I wanted to see them again." ("Demo boku wa mou ichido aitai to omotta." No "they" specified, but...)

"Because I think that my feelings then (lit. that time) were real." ("Sono toki no kimochi wa hontou da to, omou kara.")

So who's Shinji's referring to in #16. Misato? Everybody?

Originally posted on: 06.12.2006, 06:00 PM

Jabberwok [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jabberwok [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Reichu wrote:Hmm, I dunno. Just on a technical note, Shinji isn't specifying who he's talking about...

For the most part I was just trying to be a bit cheeky there. I just got ahold of my Angelic Days V.1 and felt the need to inject a little shipping goodness (again )

So who's Shinji's referring to in #16. Misato? Everybody?

Keeping in mind Shinji's final line during his last dream sequence (before Ghost-Mom)...
Ep:16 wrote:Shinji:[/b] I hate this place... I don't want to be alone anymore...

...I still don't know, but I lean more towards "everybody".

Although... Two scenes later, we do see a certain redhead checking in on our troubled anti-hero again...
...Again, cheeky.

Originally posted on: 06.12.2006, 06:34 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Jabberwok wrote:For the most part I was just trying to be a bit cheeky there. I just got ahold of my Angelic Days V.1 and felt the need to inject a little shipping goodness (again )

No, no, no! If you want to be cheeky, you have to do stuff like write dialogues about intimate encounters between Akira and Keel, Kaworu (femme only) and Shinji, or various combinations of Evas, Angels, and Gendo! (Crumb, I think I revealed too much there.)

Keeping in mind Shinji's final line during his last dream sequence (before Ghost-Mom), I still don't know, but I lean more towards "everybody".

I think I do, too. (But Gendo and Fuyutsuki obviously wouldn't count. Image )

Although... Two scenes later, we do see a certain redhead checking in on our troubled anti-hero again...

Rather embarassed-like, too. I guess I would be if I were caught eavesdropping on such a boring conversation, too. (BTW, your link makes my Firefox crash and burn.)

This thread should provoke more discussion than it does. I hate you all. Image

Originally posted on: 06.13.2006, 12:03 PM

Jabberwok [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jabberwok [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Reichu wrote:This thread should provoke more discussion than it does. I hate you all.

:cracks knuckles:

[I just realized that I didn't really add much here to regenerate said discussion. Maybe I'll get something better later.]

No, no, no! If you want to be cheeky, you have to do stuff like write dialogues about intimate encounters between Akira and Keel, Kaworu (femme only) and Shinji, or various combinations of Evas, Angels, and Gendo! (Crumb, I think I revealed too much there.)

Writing mock intimate encounters seems to skirt very close to writing serious intimate encounters which then starts getting into Lemon/Lime territory. And I just don't get the point of Limon (I mean, there's easier ways to masturbate). :P

I'll save my literary energies for eternaly unfinished fanfics and movie references.

I think I do, too. (But Gendo and Fuyutsuki obviously wouldn't count. Image )

...Obviously.

(BTW, your link makes my Firefox crash and burn.)

Hmmm. Well it's was from "Go Hikari!", pg. 231, post #3457.
And if my earlier link doesn't work either, that was "Go Hikari!", 232, 3466. I'm just "Copy Link Location"-ing on the post number for these. Someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

[characters lying on their backs]

Now, to play devil's advocate a bit here, there are a finite number of ways to depict someone lying on their back. That said though...

Unless you were indirectly making this connection with prone-Kaji:prone-Gendo and then later with prone-Gendo:prone-Shinji, I think a very significant parallelism is Kaji:Shinji in these...
...a man in the place he most wants to be (a renewed relationship with Misato), coming to terms with the end of his life and the choices he has made...
...and a boy in the place he least wants to be (the Sea of LCL, "I felt pain in that place"), coming to the realization that his life is only just beginning but only if he has the courage to make difficult choices.
"Most" and "Least" were used to illustrate the point, not to make any sort of generalization.

After reading back through the first pages of this, I was surprised that this connection was not illustrated with all of the other Unit-02 fun...

Oh wait, I found it now. It was just hard-linked, not image-linked. Disregard the previous nonsense.

Although, on a plus, when looking for the doll image, I fast-forwarded exactly to it and then proceded to watch the remainder on the mind-rape scene. I've never found that scene more powerful than when watched in a vacuum, without any of the preceding of following scenes; I openly shed tears.

[Lol, wut? Smileys count as images in a post? Simply stunning.]

Originally posted on: 06.13.2006, 03:37 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Jabberwok wrote:[I just realized that I didn't really add much here to regenerate said discussion. Maybe I'll get something better later.]

Well, there's loads of stuff in the show that hasn't been dumped here... Some of it's been mentioned "publicly" before, some (AFAIK) not. Lots of potential for fun, regardless.

Writing mock intimate encounters seems to skirt very close to writing serious intimate encounters which then starts getting into Lemon/Lime territory. And I just don't get the point of Limon (I mean, there's easier ways to masturbate). :P

I think part of the reason I write them is to mock ones that ARE done seriously. Another is because Sammael told me to. Yet another is because my brain finds it funny (and possibly kinky). (If I were to write actual serious lemon, I sure as hell wouldn't post it on the Internets. But satire = okay. Fufufu.)

I'll save my literary energies for eternaly unfinished fanfics and movie references.

Ah, EUFs... I know them well. Regarding the latter: "I lolled." (I need to catch up on "Go Hikari!", seriously.)

...Obviously.

You read the "What's up with EoE?" thread? ;)

Now, to play devil's advocate a bit here, there are a finite number of ways to depict someone lying on their back.

Something about these three seems eerily deliberate, though...

(Would be better if all three had the mouths the same way, but whatever.)

I don't have any sort of response to your suggestion about Kaji-Shinji at this time (you used the wrong Shinji pic, BTW -- at least, I *think* you did...). My own thoughts about this trio are rather inarticulate right now, as well.

Unless you were indirectly making this connection with prone-Kaji:prone-Gendo and then later with prone-Gendo:prone-Shinji...

Well, that's the order that I found them in, at least. But to my mind, those do feel like two distinct duos within the greater trio.

Originally posted on: 06.13.2006, 05:30 PM

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

I was recntly reminded of another instance of the cross/death parallel that was featured in this thread... remember how Eva-03 was carried to the Matsushiro site attached to a huge cross on the bottom of a plane? And of course, we all know what ended up happening to her...

Originally posted on: 06.26.2006, 12:18 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:40 pm

That reminds me more of the "giant uber-beings being 'crucified' for your sins" pattern -- Lilith, EVA-03, EVA-01, harpies. Yeah, what's the deal with all that shee-yat, yo?

Something about the EVA-03/cross thing always bothered me "for no apparent reason". Generally, #17 and #18 were pretty straightforward, so having this giant cross, out of nowhere, improbably hanging off the bottom of a jumbo jet to transport an Eva (when no other Evas are ever transported via jumbo jet in so lamely nonaerodynamic a manner) feels like one of the more pointless examples of Pointless Religious Symbolism. ...Unless I'm missing something. (EoE is so wacky in general it has a lot of elbow room in that particular arena. Image )

Originally posted on: 06.26.2006, 12:35 PM

Supercat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Supercat [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Reichu wrote:Something about these three seems eerily deliberate, though...

(Would be better if all three had the mouths the same way, but whatever.)

While I typically find these visual correlations to be very intruiging and revelatory, I would just like to point out that the fact that Gendo, Kaji, and Shinji are all framed with their heads sideways in similar-looking shots may represent some visual symbolism, or may also very well be an artistic preference (as in, Anno thought it looked interesting or appealing, and as a result used this similar image multiple times, without any intended symbolism).

Originally posted on: 06.26.2006, 01:06 PM

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Reichu wrote:

They're all experiencing pleasure and pain??

Originally posted on: 06.26.2006, 03:02 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”