More "you never see this stuff just once"

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Reichu wrote:Is there?

I was thinking of Kaworu. He's right in front of Lilith when Shinji grabs him, and although most of that set of shots focuses on Kaworu in front of Lilith's Mask, Lilith is of course on a giant cross.

edit:
Surprised no one wants to take a gander at the Akira-Kyoko connection, though. You peeps are no fun!

In the shot you posted of Dr. Katsuragi, he was in the process of saving his daughter's life. Perhaps Kyoko was trying to do the same?

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 11:31 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I was thinking of Kaworu. He's right in front of Lilith when Shinji grabs him, and although most of that set of shots focuses on Kaworu in front of Lilith's Mask, Lilith is of course on a giant cross.

Hey, you're right... Those sneaky bastards! That's another one for the KKKK! Image

In the shot you posted of Dr. Katsuragi, he was in the process of saving his daughter's life. Perhaps Kyoko was trying to do the same?

Yes, I think so. ("You must live!") Well, that's part of it. Here's what I think is going on...

What do we KNOW these two parents have in common? They were scientists who worked for "the Organization". Each had a single child who was neglected as a result of overdedication to vis work. (Among other things.) Both Asuka and Misato tell themselves that they hate said parent -- but we know that Asuka greatly desired Kyoko's love regardless, and Misato was torn apart between love and hatred of Akira*.

What happens in the end? Kyoko dies in an attempt to protect Asuka and let her child live -- struggling against a body that has been all but destroyed, in defiance of the assailants who mock her from afar before dealing the coup de grace. She fails. OTOH, Akira satisfies his own goal, but it's still the same basic thing. He sacrifices himself to protect Misato (I imagine he served as a human shield at some point) and struggles against death -- courtesy of a mutilated body -- so that he can deliver Misato to safety (or the best possible chance for it), after which he expires immediately. (The timing is no accident, I imagine...)

* I really wish that Anno bastard had provided, like, a given name for the guy. "Dr. Katsuragi" takes way too much effort to type again and again. Image

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 07:24 AM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

We could always shorten it to "Dr. Katz" Image

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 07:57 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

LuigiHann wrote:We could always shorten it to "Dr. Katz" Image

Oh sweet Yui-sama, the irony would be too much for my fragile little heart to bear! No... I will simply need to continue committing my sin, and justify it by providing the "Mass Production Model Evangelion" vs. "harpy" correlate.

But that would provide incredible parody potential... (Misato and Daddy would be even better than Shinji and Gendo.)

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 08:30 AM

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Sachiel: Someone set us up the N2 mine.
Samshel: We get signal.
ADAM: Main Screen turn on.
Dr. Katz: How are you gentleman? All your white moon are belong to us!
ADAM: What you say?
Dr.Katz: You have no chance make your time. HAHAHA
ADAM: Take off every AT Field, you know what you doing. For Great Justice!

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 08:57 AM

MonkeyBoy0314 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MonkeyBoy0314 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:And...
Image Image

Image This further proves my theory that Anno was a rocker

http://www.evageeks.org/ANF-Archive/images/7KPLU1QFE2KC2R5EGP11KIG6B-gnr.bmp
GNR LIVES!! Image

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 09:08 AM

zuggy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zuggy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Wait a goddamn minute…

That guy in the classroom is a fusion of both of them!

Quantum Magic?

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 09:49 AM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

zuggy wrote:Wait a goddamn minute…

That guy in the classroom is a fusion of both of them!

Quantum Magic?

Depends... What color are his eyes?

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 09:56 AM

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

He is....the Hygoba!

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 09:56 AM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Seele08 wrote:He is....the Hygoba!

Needs more vowels:
Hyugaoba

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 10:02 AM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

(self-quote from another thread)

When Arael tries to communicate with Asuka, its intentions may have been benign but Asuka reacts as if being raped.
When Armisael tries to communicate with Rei, its intentions may have been benign but Rei reacts as if being raped.
The next angel is Tabris, who tries to communicate with Shinji.
Discuss.

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 01:10 PM

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Haha. That actually made me laugh. A cookie for you, sir - tis not easy to make someone emotion-dead like me laugh. Image

No opinion, I'm afraid. Jolly Roger of a topic, though - keep on posting, people.

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 01:23 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

LuigiHann wrote:When Arael tries to communicate with Asuka, its intentions may have been benign but Asuka reacts as if being raped.
When Armisael tries to communicate with Rei, its intentions may have been benign but Rei reacts as if being raped.

...Rei does? She seems to more react with a confused discomfort -- the biofusion is at once pleasurable and painful. After the sniper rifle is ineffective, she's simply paralyzed to do anything. When Armisael opens the gates of communication, Rei certainly doesn't treat her like some kind of rapist; Armi is, instead, "the person we call an Angel".

When Armisael begins to invade Rei's mind in this "inner universe" -- represented by an "reenactment" of the physical invasion -- Rei simply stands (er, floats, I suppose) there calmly. Armi floods Rei with the pain in her heart, and Rei simply elaborates upon what it is, as if explaining something to a child (which it technically sorta is).

All things considered, Rei's reaction is lightyears away from Asuka's...

The next angel is Tabris, who tries to communicate with Shinji.
Discuss.

Tabris is a different sort of case... Shinji actually had his "Close Encounter" with an Apostle back in #16, even though Leliel never seemed to speak to him directly, as Arael and Armisael do with Asuka and Rei...

I actually have a number of thoughts beyond this, but things got wildly out of hand Image, so that'll be quits for tonight.

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 06:40 PM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

I was oversimplifying it to make them sound more similar. In Rei's case, I wasn't talking about the internal discussion she has with the angels, just the physical reaction she has. I'm not saying it was actually any kind of rape, quite the opposite actually. But the imagery was sexual, even though what was happening was something else entirely.
Similarly, in Asuka's case, what's happening there isn't actually sexual at all (the angel doesn't come remotely close to even touching her) but the idea of rape is introduced anyway, giving a sexual connotation to a completely nonsexual encounter.
And then Tabris/Kaworu shows up, shares emotions with Shinji, confuses Shinji, and most likely makes Shinji think uncomfortable sexual thoughts, even though nothing truly sexual happens.
The only reason I'm making the connection with Kaworu (rather than with Leliel) is that these are three consecutive angels, they're the three last angels (not counting Mankind) and it's these three encounters that ultimately "break" each of the Children. The fights with Leliel, Bardiel, and Zeruel all mess them up quite a bit in different ways, as do some of the previous angels, but it's these last three that leave pretty much all of them hopelessly depressed at the start of End of Eva. And it's interesting, then, that each of these encounters has sexual overtones on some level. Even without that, though, there seems to be a connection between the three episodes.

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 07:36 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

LuigiHann wrote:I was oversimplifying it to make them sound more similar. In Rei's case, I wasn't talking about the internal discussion she has with the angels, just the physical reaction she has. I'm not saying it was actually any kind of rape, quite the opposite actually. But the imagery was sexual, even though what was happening was something else entirely.

Oh, I totally agree. The imagery, and, heh, the physical reaction.

Then you throw in weird stuff like the "umbilical cord", the Apostles being birthed (well, almost) out of EVA-00's back (where you've got, like, a hole that a long, phallic object goes into), and Armisael being absorbed into the "womb" of Zero's core to produce a grotesque "mock-pregnancy". And there's the whole "sex"/"hearts as one" motif -- Armisael goes after Sho (and maybe not just to "link up" Shinji), and then we get the "arched back" thing there, too. Man, what a perverted show. :snicker:

The scene (non-Inner Universe) with Armisael serves to prognosticate the Tree of Life sequence in EoE in many ways... But that deserves extra-special handling.

Similarly, in Asuka's case, what's happening there isn't actually sexual at all (the angel doesn't come remotely close to even touching her) but the idea of rape is introduced anyway, giving a sexual connotation to a completely nonsexual encounter.

Some of Kyoko's posturing is sort of ...questionable. Image

And then Tabris/Kaworu shows up, shares emotions with Shinji, confuses Shinji, and most likely makes Shinji think uncomfortable sexual thoughts, even though nothing truly sexual happens.

I do agree on the "sexual confusion" part, surprisingly enough. (Fully compatible with my "Mother Figure" thesis, too! Think about Shinji when he first meets Kaworu's counterpart. Image )

The only reason I'm making the connection with Kaworu (rather than with Leliel) is that these are three consecutive angels, they're the three last angels (not counting Mankind) and it's these three encounters that ultimately "break" each of the Children.

Oh, well, when you put it THAT way... Yes, the three consecutive Angel-induced whammies have come up in the past. There's been a bit of stuff (primarily Shin-seiki's doing, if memory serves) about the various "personal tragedies" occuring towards the end and how they're linked up with each other, too. Offhand, I can think of one other probably-not-mentioned (I can't remember) thematic trio that I could dump here, but that would take a while to prepare. (Dang, that little problem ALWAYS gets in the way!)

Originally posted on: 04.16.2006, 08:39 PM

Talon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Talon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Blood Orgy, Yay!
-Woodland Critters, South Park

I'm too afraid to post this so i'll just link...

Notice the resemblance?

*ahem* back on topic

*sigh* Metaphors.....

Originally posted on: 04.17.2006, 01:49 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Even better:

Even better than that.

Wait... what's the connection between the two images you posted?

(BTW, I almost got a hernia from laughing so hard when I saw that episode of SP.)

Originally posted on: 04.18.2006, 05:18 AM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

^XD YTMND
Also, I thought of the Harpy feast when this South Park aired.
Chef. Image

Originally posted on: 04.18.2006, 06:37 AM

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

scientologists Image

Originally posted on: 04.18.2006, 08:02 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Ornette wrote:scientologists Image

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu wrote:So, Scientology, you may have won this battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will not stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!

I love them.

Okay, now for my feeble attempt to get this thread back on track...

Episode #22'

"WTH are you?" (Rough translation of "Anata dare?")

"Oh, you silly liar, you!"

Asuka's Sith Lord doppelganger. (Well... one of them.)

Attack of the Clones!

"No, Asuka! You were going the wrong way! We shall take you to HIM!"
"If it's not Kaji-san, I'm not going!"
"Ohhh... YOU'LL see..."

Does this, uh, remind you of anybody? Image

Originally posted on: 04.18.2006, 05:43 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”