More "you never see this stuff just once"

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

stolenji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby stolenji [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Those pics make my heart break for Kyoko&Asuka Image

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 03:49 PM

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Is it so very very wrong for me to love that last gif? *liplick*

And, damn, there's a lot of reused/recombobulated shots in Eva. Though I know that already. Image

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 05:07 PM

The Opinionator [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Opinionator [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Well...just how many different ways do you expect an Eva to freak out when it's being seriously messed up? There are only so many ways to writhe, after all.

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 05:49 PM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Yeah, some of these connections are a lot vaguer than some of the previous ones. Still, it is interesting that the Evas react to mental pain the same ways they react to physical pain.

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 06:52 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Magami No ER wrote:I should rewatch and see what I may find....most likely nothing unfortunatly. =/

There are TONS of recurrences -- visual and otherwise -- in there, many of which I've never seen mentioned in discussions. Somehow or another, I just keep on finding more... (My brain just does it automatically.) No shortage of material to be noticed and "officially recognized" by the geek community, at any rate.

Z Metalla wrote:Is it so very very wrong for me to love that last gif? *liplick*

Sweet Akira-san in the Antarctic Dead Sea -- why? Image

And, damn, there's a lot of reused/recombobulated shots in Eva.

Yeah, but it's done in a really cool way! Image (Aside from gratuitous cheapskate recycling.) Makes the show a lot of fun, IMO, and it's rewarding when one finds new link-ups.

The Opinionator wrote:Well...just how many different ways do you expect an Eva to freak out when it's being seriously messed up? There are only so many ways to writhe, after all.

The situational/visual parallelism seems pretty blatant to me.

LuigiHann wrote:Yeah, some of these connections are a lot vaguer than some of the previous ones.

How are they vague?

Still, it is interesting that the Evas react to mental pain the same ways they react to physical pain.

I'm not quite sure what that's supposed to mean.

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 07:04 PM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Reichu wrote:How are they vague?

I just meant that they're "vaguely similar," especially when contrasted with some of the extremely pronounced parallelism used from time to time in Eva.

Reichu wrote:I'm not quite sure what that's supposed to mean.

I was just commenting on the fact that the pictures you posted, one situation is Asuka/Kyoko's mind being violated, and the other is their body being eaten, and she reacts similarly in both situations. This is interesting, because it draws a connection between physical pain and mental anguish, yes?

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 07:39 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I just meant that they're "vaguely similar," especially when contrasted with some of the extremely pronounced parallelism used from time to time in Eva.

Eh, I think it's just a bit subtler... One thing to keep in mind is that visual recurrence is just part of the picture -- situational recurrence and thematic repetition, etc., should also be kept in mind. So even though I've been suggesting connections by juxtaposing various screenshots and animated GIFs, they aren't meant to be considered in some kind of vacuum apart from the full context.

I was just commenting on the fact that the pictures you posted, one situation is Asuka/Kyoko's mind being violated, and the other is their body being eaten,

Their body? </picky>

and she reacts similarly in both situations. This is interesting, because it draws a connection between physical pain and mental anguish, yes?

I'm not sure how many of the visual similarities in #25' I would describe as her actually reacting to the pain, in the way that she is in #22. (But the arm-flailing during the Ravaging looks like her doing, even though she's not supposed to be powered at that time.)

But on a related note to the idea you brought up: Episode #22 establishes the extent of the psychic connection existing between Eva and pilot: Much like physical pain, the Eva's psychic pain is passed along via feedback.

EDIT: Oh dear, those last two paragraphs are rather poorly articulated... I'm tired, forgive me.

Originally posted on: 04.12.2006, 07:59 PM

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Reichu wrote:Sweet Akira-san in the Antarctic Dead Sea -- why? Image

Because I love Eva when it gets brutal and/or psychological. Image

It's fascinating, the brutaility Evas wreak on their own will, really. Which is really funny, considering I'm not that brutal of a guy, otherwise. If I saw real-life brutality like that, I'd get squeeeamish.

Yeah, but it's done in a really cool way! Image (Aside from gratuitous cheapskate recycling.) Makes the show a lot of fun, IMO, and it's rewarding when one finds new link-ups.

Quite so. Image And I'm willing to bet there's more out there that are waiting to be uncovered. XD

Originally posted on: 04.13.2006, 06:35 AM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:33 pm

I've done thes before, but I figure they belong in this thread:
Image Image

Image Image

Originally posted on: 04.13.2006, 06:39 AM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

And...
Image Image

Originally posted on: 04.13.2006, 06:39 AM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Reichu wrote:Ravaging of Mind and Body[/b]

(Just two frames where you can actually see Kyoko-sama fairly clearly. Don't feel like doing an impractically HY00J animated GIF or whatever right now, but she's leaning back and flailing her arms -- or it looks like it, anyway -- throughout.)

I'd already figured that what's happening when Arael bids EVA-02 & Asuka warm welcomes was setting the stage, in many ways, for episode #25' -- but, even so, the visual parallelism connecting Kyoko's respective Ravagings struck me as being sort of creepy.

You missed out the monkey toy's guts exploding. You've mentioned it before in this context I think.

Originally posted on: 04.13.2006, 07:33 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Ark wrote:You missed out the monkey toy's guts exploding. You've mentioned it before in this context I think.

I can only post so many things at once. :P "Toy/doll" motif is for another day. (But here's some monkey guts if you want them now.)

And now, for one of my old favorites: Raggedy Handy.

Katsuragi-hakase in #12:

Kyoko-sama in #25':

More compliments in action: lefty, palm-side; righty, knuckle-side. Both hands mutilated, both staggering shakily from one side of the screen to the other, reaching for something.

Although it's impractical for me to replicate the shakiness (adds a lot of extra frames = bigger file size), here are the GIFs:

(Click for the full-sizer, ~700K.)

(Cropping the sides off cut the size down by, like, half. If you want the full thing, let me know.)

An interesting detail to note is that Kyoko clutches her hand, as if around some imaginary object.

They seem to be establishing a rather intimate thematic connection between these two parents, moments before their respective deaths...

(BTW: Shin-seiki, you do realize that my current fling with animated GIFs is mostly your fault? Image "Using animated GIFs in, like, regular posts? Instead of plain screenshots? Hey... now there's an idea...")

Originally posted on: 04.13.2006, 09:13 AM

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

hehe NGE's has some rather amusing hand shots....

Originally posted on: 04.13.2006, 09:34 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Boy, I woulda thought that the stuff here would inspire more comments than it's gotten. Huh.

A bit of pedantic fun -- or is that Pointless Religious Symbolism? I forget what the exact relationship between the two is sometimes -- I don't recall ever seeing publicly noted.

Kaji-kun buys it in #21...

C-275
(^ Gonna do more work on that before I release the full-sized one. Damn fan blades.)

C-277

"You're, like, late, and stuff."

>BANG<Or>SLAP<, if you're watching DEATH.)

In the first cut (275), note how the grate of the fan forms a cross behind him. Hard to make out in a still image; watch the scene again if you don't believe me. :wink:

We get another cross in 277 (276 = missing number) behind his head. I'll gratuitously throw in the Collector's Disc version, just because it's so pretty.

This detail isn't there in the OA version, BTW:

(Another bit of trivia: This, and many other OA versions of various cuts, are not in Renewal. E.g., in the Renewal version of OA #21, they use the NPC versions of C-275 and 277.)

(CONTINUING...)

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 07:23 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

And, as we know, Kaji is shot down by some random grunt. But, as Shin-seiki rather interestingly forwarded here, Kaji's otherwise somewhat inexplicable line ("Yo~. You're late, aren't you?") seems to carry the connotations: "You can kill me, but it won't do you any good. I have a really hawt and kick-a$$ girlfriend who knows ever-y-thing. So you'll have to kill her, too!" Well, more or less. Image

Alright. So, fast forward a bit to #25'. "Katsuragi" is attempting to put what Kaji-kun's given her to good use, by passing it onto Shinji (however briefly and cryptically), and trying to get him to EVA-01 before Seele does. Too bad the kid's not in much of a psychological state to appreciate her efforts.

And then...

zOMG! She's heading for the Cross!!! Well, at least, another cross that just so happens to be formed by the local architecture when the time comes...

...for her to get shot...

...by some random grunts.

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 07:25 AM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Reichu wrote:(Another bit of trivia: This, and many other OA versions of various cuts, are not in Renewal. E.g., in the Renewal version of OA #21, they use the NPC versions of C-275 and 277.)

What others?(you needn't do screenshots).
I don't have the last two Platinum discs, and won't for a long while.

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 07:50 AM

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Hmm, anybody else we know get killed in front of a big cross? Image

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 09:27 AM

zuggy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zuggy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Sidenote: I remember EVA-00 doing this in the DC (episode 23) as well (when she totally splodes).

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 09:49 AM

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

ZOMG Sachiel exploded in a cross-shaped explosion!!!!1111 and oh yeah Lilith...but that wasn't very important.... Image

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 09:49 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Magami No ER wrote:What others?(you needn't do screenshots).

Well, posting screenshots would be potentially cooler than describing each one, but... yeah, okay. You told me not to, so I won't. Image Let's see... :looks through her archives:

Episode #21
C-034: Yui closeup ("That is, if I find the right person...")C-258: Command Tower, Pan-Up (before outline of Naoko's body)C-263: Kaji standing in doorway (silhouetted)C-264A: Kaji undoing Fuyutsuki's restraintsC-267: Misato in isolation ward (lights come on and she sits up)C-269: Misato looks at the intelligence agent questioninglyC-271: Misato stands up and puts her gun into her jacketC-275: Kaji standing in front of the giant fanC-277: "Yo~. You're late, aren't you?"
Episode #22
C-001B: Asuka at Kyoko's funeral, looking rather sulliedC-005A: Asuka scowling at Kyoko through the glassC-006: Asuka from the side, looking slightly sullenC-276: Arael becomes a mere speck of light above EarthC-282: The Spear moving into lunar space
Probably others, but I haven't screencapped #22 to death the same way I have #21. Image

Renewal #23 reverse-engineers the NPC in a couple of places (WHY DID YOU DESTROY THE REIQUARIUM? WHY?!?). Off-hand, I can't recall anything that falls under the "NPC shots in OA version" phenomenon in #23 and #24, though.

I don't have the last two Platinum discs, and won't for a long while.

Why's that?

LuigiHann wrote:Hmm, anybody else we know get killed in front of a big cross? Image

Is there?

zuggy wrote:Sidenote: I remember EVA-00 doing this in the DC (episode 23) as well (when she totally splodes).

Yeah, that's the other link-up. (Both of Shogouki's comrades reaching up into a mysterious bright light before they die.) This game is fun, isn't it? Image

Surprised no one wants to take a gander at the Akira-Kyoko connection, though. You peeps are no fun!

Seele08 wrote:ZOMG Sachiel exploded in a cross-shaped explosion!!!!1111

That doesn't really have anything to do with Kaji and Misato, though...

and oh yeah Lilith...but that wasn't very important.... Image

What about Lilith?

Originally posted on: 04.15.2006, 04:54 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”