Imitatation is the sincerest form of rip-off

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:18 pm

That's because vampire souls are different and way more awesome than pitiful human souls.

...Seriously speking, yes, it's just a weird little reference. But the show itself is a Trigun rip-off, and this is coming from someone who doesn't hand out rip-off labels easily. It was just so wrong in so many levels. Trinity Blood should have been a six-episode hentai OAV, filled with hot, clumsy vampire-on-nun sex (Ion x Esther, squeal). Instead, we got 24 episodes of this. It's not fair.[/rant rant rant]

Originally posted on: 07.18.2006, 07:00 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:18 pm

I took this image a few years ago I believe, I lost it but found my Double Zeta Gundam fansubs today & decided to take another screenshot of it.

Puru Two scene thats reminds me very much of Asuka.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 05:23 AM

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Here's a possible reference that (probably) not too many have heard of...anyways, some years back, Capcom created a fighting game with giant mecha as characters, called "Cyberbots" (this is where Jin Saotome of the "Marvel vs. Capcom" series comes from). They included a hidden character, a giant robot version of Akuma, one of the characters from the Street Fighter games.

Here's a pic of his sprite being used in MUGEN...

...some grainy art from the "limited edition" Playstation release...

...and a card from one of the "Card Fighters Clash" games which features him.

Why do I mention this? In case you weren't aware, Akuma's name in Japan is "Gouki" (sort of like "Vega" here is "Balrog" there, "Servbot" here, "Kobun" there, etc.), and they named the giant robot version of him "Zerogouki!" Am I the only one who thinks that might have been an Eva reference?

I also have some (much more blatant) references from the pseudo-sequel to Cyberbots, "Tech Romancer"...I'll hafta see if I have any pics...

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 10:36 AM

Ninja337 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ninja337 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Since Gainax is a team of otaku (the real kind, not the pathetic kind), they like to add tributes to many anime and manga of the time. Space Runaway Ideon, Oruchuban Ebichu, were referenced to in NGE and also Gainax's later works referenced to Evangelion, such as Kare Kano, he is my master, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, etc...

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 01:34 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Bumpity-bump. Have I already mentioned Aquarion? It's made of Shouji Kawamori being like this and staggering amounts of hilarious mecha references. There are dozens of cute little nods to Getter Robo, Macross, G Gundam and who knows what else. And, of course, some Eva-stuff as well:

I believe I've already posted this pic of Shadow Angel's Tree of Life in some other thread. A bit later we get to see a rather familiar-looking UN headquarters building, where we also meet some rather familiar-looking personnel... Also, the show's over-the-top sexual symbolism kinda reminded me of NGE. Combining orgasm-bots! Vaginal-shaped launch chutes! Aquarion glows, grows and extends! Longpunch is loooong!

Talking about Ramiel's design, BTW, would you consider these as plausible sources of inspiration?
- Flying castle's power source from Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky
- Psychedelic shapes from 2001: A Space Odyssey

And finally, some amusing foreshadowing from Diebuster manga.

Originally posted on: 10.20.2006, 05:49 PM

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:It's made of Shouji Kawamori being like this

I think that right there wins a thousand internets

I actually started to watch "Holy Genesis of Aquarion" but aside from the few NGE similarities I noticed, it was put on the back burner for playing catch-up on all the episodes I have in the queue from the spring and summer releases in Japan that I have sitting around.

Dr. Nick wrote:Talking about Ramiel's design, BTW, would you consider these as plausible sources of inspiration?
- Flying castle's power source from Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky
- Psychedelic shapes from 2001: A Space Odyssey

Personally, I think octahedrons are all over the place, outside of anime. For one thing, a perfect octahedron is a nice shape, and anyone who must roll a 1d8 attack is familiar with it. However, Ramiel wasn't actually a perfect octahedron; that dude had a split through its center.

Originally posted on: 10.20.2006, 10:00 PM

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Flying castle's power source from Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky

This one in particular reminds me of the "Stone-Like" from Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga.

Originally posted on: 10.20.2006, 10:14 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Ornette wrote:Personally, I think octahedrons are all over the place, outside of anime. For one thing, a perfect octahedron is a nice shape, and anyone who must roll a 1d8 attack is familiar with it.

Quite true; sometimes an adventure in geometry is just an adventure in geometry and nothing else.

Now here's an interesting bit of geek lore: according to Mr. Anonymous, NGE's famous "angel face" design originates from Yoshitoh Asari's old manga, Wahha Man. This is the picture that was posted in conjunction with the claim:

I have no idea if any part of this is true, but if someone feels like doing some digging, go ahead. There seems to be terribly little info available on the said manga in English, though.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:This one in particular reminds me of the "Stone-Like" from Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga.

Got a picture?

Originally posted on: 10.25.2006, 07:12 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

But why BLUE octahedra?

I dunno, man. The resemblance to the Angel face is sorta... Well, the "Wahha Man" thing is a stylized human skull. And the Angel face is a stylized bird skull.

Originally posted on: 10.25.2006, 11:15 PM

TS-Scorpio [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TS-Scorpio [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

2001: Space Odyssey is probably the main one. What with the blue octahedrons, the monoliths and the wheel shaped space station that also appeared in Gunbuster.

Originally posted on: 10.26.2006, 06:13 AM

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Got a picture?

Found a bunch from RSG on this site.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

In both games it's basically some sort of sentient all-powerful (though not necessarily "evil") thing that you encounter at the very end of the game, but you can't shoot at it, you've just got to dodge the junk it throws at you for a certain period of time.

As for whether the shape has anything to do with anything else, you've got me.

Originally posted on: 10.26.2006, 11:55 PM

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Why do I mention this? In case you weren't aware, Akuma's name in Japan is "Gouki" (sort of like "Vega" here is "Balrog" there, "Servbot" here, "Kobun" there, etc.), and they named the giant robot version of him "Zerogouki!" Am I the only one who thinks that might have been an Eva reference?

Wow, Eva created the Japanese language? I never knew that!

Zerogouki = Unit 01 = common name that has existed llllloooonnnnnggggg before Eva.

Next thing you'll tell me that Eva created the concept of the recap movie... wait a minute, someone named 'EvaXephon' already claimed that... Image

Originally posted on: 10.27.2006, 07:57 PM

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Quiddity wrote:Zerogouki = Unit 01 = common name that has existed llllloooonnnnnggggg before Eva.

I didn't mean it quite like that, I just wondered if the fact that said giant robot might be a reference to the other, more famous giant biomechanical weapon. Have there been any other famous "Unit-01"s for this particular "Gouki" to parody?

Originally posted on: 10.27.2006, 10:05 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Famous? It's rather a generic term for scifi/war/giant robot anime past and present, I think since Evangelions have no "rollout number/code" and instead are considered their own units and seperated as such, the names are more memorable for each Eva. (Hence, you get a decent amount of Evangelion pictures even when googling the vague "unit 01" )

Originally posted on: 10.28.2006, 12:05 AM

Hekym [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hekym [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm

I sincerely think that the particular classification system is unique to EVa. not the Unit-# classification, but the particular way it was organized. Namely, Unit-00 to the prototype and then the others following. I might be wrong, but I'd never seen that before. Prototypes dont usually get the same status as other units.

And another thing. I think the term Unit 01 is used more throughout science fiction than unit-02. Unit-02 is really famous as just unit-02 (especially after that nonsense in EoE). it's sort of unique.

Originally posted on: 10.28.2006, 10:36 AM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”