Common Misconceptions

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Heh, I'm not sure where that label came from, truth be told, I just tend to use it automatically whenever stuff like this comes up, just for accuracy's sake (at least compared with the Gregorian calendar, anyways)...

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 19:57 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Heh, I'm not sure where that label came from, truth be told, I just tend to use it automatically whenever stuff like this comes up, just for accuracy's sake (at least compared with the Gregorian calendar, anyways)...

Eh, forget about Gregorian. From now on, let's date everything by Shire Reckoning.

Originally posted on: 12-Jan-2005, 08:58 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Or maybe "Stardate," a la Captain Kirk.

Originally posted on: 12-Jan-2005, 03:37 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

^That'd be fun to remember whilist putting the date on tests. Image

Originally posted on: 12-Jan-2005, 03:39 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

It'd be a lot more fun though. The teacher hands out the tests, a few students start scribbling stuff down, then from out of the corner of the room, a lone voice:

"Stardate, 84665: I have encountered what appears to be some sort of bizarre two-dimensional measurement of my personal merit. While such a concept is quite foreign to me, since I am merely an interloper within this realm I have little choice but to oblige its every demand. Nearby I've discovered what appears to be a slender carbon-based object with a graphite core...how the two objects may be related is still under analysis..."

For even greater effect bring along a tape recorder and play dramatic music in the background as you say that.

Originally posted on: 12-Jan-2005, 03:44 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

I like it O_O

Originally posted on: 12-Jan-2005, 03:46 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Browsing some older threads last night I came across one misconception that is possibly held more widely than it might be enunciated. How shall I put this tactfully? It's the assumption that Shinji must have found some hand lotion in Asuka's hospital room.

While it is quite likely there would be some antibacterial cleanser as part of the general hygeine routine of the hospital, the actual fact of the matter is that, unless post-2I Japan followed the USAn custom of ritual infant genital mutilation, such artifice would not be needed.

---

In the wider world of NGE fandom, there does seem to be a common assumption that if you're a fan of a particilar pilot, that must also mean you are also a shipper for Shinji/that pilot. Well, mainly this is assumed true for fans of Asuka and Rei, and perhaps Kaworu. Touji fans are possibly below the general radar (though this page possibly has possibly the best comment on that issue).

Of course it's not clear that even a Shinji fan could be completely free of this preconception, given the obvious scary shot from 26', let alone Woody Allen's comment on Shinji's activity in 25'. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 14:55 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I remember one guy who put forth the "theory" that Shinji just sneezed a really goobery one in Asuka's hospital room.

As for that page you mention -- it would help if I knew a drop of Italian. Show-off. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 15:09 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Reichu wrote:I remember one guy who put forth the "theory" that Shinji just sneezed a really goobery one in Asuka's hospital room.

Hand lotion, as in the circumcised male needing something to lubricate his membrum virile during the activity of self stimulation, in a manner that the intact find superfluous.

The context is in posts 3 and 4 of this thread

Reichu wrote:As for that page you mention -- it would help if I knew a drop of Italian. Show-off. Image

A basic background of French or Latin (which is all I'm working with - but probably the equivalent in any other Romance language would do) should suffice to translate the substance of "risata generale" given the context.

The key word shares the same Latin root as the English "risible".

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 15:25 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 pm

The biggest misconception in my opinion is that the final scene of Eoe has no biblical symbolism.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 16:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I thought the major misconception there was that it DID. The world is not going to be repopulated by Asuka and Shinji alone (heaven forbid). If you've got some three billion people sitting around in the Ooze, and any one of them has the ability to return, that puts quite a damper on the "Adam and Eve" nonsense. Any resemblance is as shallow as those silly cross-shaped explosions and hardly "symbolic" or thematically significant of anything. (You want religious symbols with more substance, look at the Tree of Life.)

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 17:34 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Reichu wrote:The world is not going to be repopulated by Asuka and Shinji alone (heaven forbid).

And even if it were, every culture's origin myth has a primal couple.

In the context, they would be more likely to be interpreted as Izanagi and Izanami.

Izanami is actually quite interesting in this context, as she combines in the one figure the aspects of both Lilith and Eve in the more common Western mythology.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 17:43 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Reichu wrote:Any resemblance is as shallow as those silly cross-shaped explosions and hardly "symbolic" or thematically significant of anything. (You want religious symbols with more substance, look at the Tree of Life.)

How can you say that?

Its so blatant.

Even if EVA was not overtly referencing judeo-christian themes I still couldn't understand how anyone could miss the symbolism.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 18:22 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:And even if it were, every culture's origin myth has a primal couple.

In the context, they would be more likely to be interpreted as Izanagi and Izanami.

Yes, but EVA focuses on Judaism/Kaballah and christianity.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 18:23 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Ark wrote:Yes, but EVA focuses on Judaism/Kaballah and christianity.

Admittedly my own initial thoughts on viewing (inevitably, due to the culture of my upbringing) did fly to Judeo-Christian themes, but that was to verbalise the place as Anti-Eden, at the other end of Creation, a setting more reminiscent of the Vestibule of Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy than the Garden at the summit of Mt. Purgatory, and that the two pilots were embodied in post-mortal, quasi-angelic perfected forms.

In that context, Asuka's final words I translated to echo those of Mephistopheles in Marlowe's Dr Faustus - "Why, this is Hell, nor am I out of it."

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 18:36 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:Admittedly my own initial thoughts on viewing (inevitably, due to the culture of my upbringing) did fly to Judeo-Christian themes, but that was to verbalise the place as Anti-Eden, at the other end of Creation, a setting more reminiscent of the Vestibule of Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy than the Garden at the summit of Mt. Purgatory, and that the two pilots were embodied in post-mortal, quasi-angelic perfected forms.

In that context, Asuka's final words I translated to echo those of Mephistopheles in Marlowe's Dr Faustus - "Why, this is Hell, nor am I out of it."

I think that in Eoe you have religious and scientific themes running parallel together.

Instrumentality is like the "primordial soup" scientifically but religiously its like Eden because its a world without sin and pain.

In the final scenes Shinji emerges from the sea reflecting the evolution theory but a woman is also provided for him as in judeo-christian belief.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 18:49 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 pm

That misconception about the end of EOE, where the children "represent" Adam, Eva and Lillith, comes (as I believe) from a well known misinformation eva website which said that this was said by Anno in some kind of interview.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 18:51 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

AchtungAffen wrote:That misconception about the end of EOE, where the children "represent" Adam, Eva and Lillith, comes (as I believe) from a well known misinformation eva website which said that this was said by Anno in some kind of interview.

I came to the conclusion just by viewing the film.

And I don't believe they literally represent any religious figures.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 19:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:and that the two pilots were embodied in post-mortal, quasi-angelic perfected forms.

^ I hope you don't believe that anymore... :uhoh:

Aren't Izanami and Izanagi siblings? I believe I remember reading that somewhere... So the entire nation of Japan is the product of incest. (Then again, if you start out with only two of anything, incest is pretty inevitable.)

And, Ark, Shinji and Asuka are no longer in Instrumentality, so no "Eden" parallel can be drawn. The only similarity I see is that we have a guy, and we have a girl, all alone as far as the eye can see. Pretty loose, if you ask me...

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2005, 19:55 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Reichu wrote:Aren't Izanami and Izanagi siblings?

I do have a book of Japanese mythology someplace which has that story in there somewhere, I could check to find out where the two of them came from...the thing I personally remember most about that story, though, is when 'gi (that was the guy, right?) went to the underworld to look for 'mi, and when he looked upin her face against her wishes she got really po'ed at him and swore that she would do her utmost to destroy every person he would bring into existence...sort of a big bicket of cold water thrown on top of the story, heh.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2005, 01:36 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”