Does Gendo "love" Rei?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Does Gendo "love" Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:13 pm

I hope this didnt come up yet, but I just watched the 4 deleted scenes and one was kinda odd.

There´s one scene where nude Rei is being checked by Ritsuko. And Ritsuko asks Rei whether she shall get her some underwear (the subtitles said "Dessous", so not just underwear, but sexy underwear) because Gendo would like that. Rei declines.

I mean, of course Gendo and Rei have a special relationship since Rei is a clone of Yui - but would Gendo "love" her? I dont know... I dont think they´d have sex, but you know... it´s strange. And also strange that Ritsuko would ask her something like that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does Gendo "love" Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:58 pm

I don't know whether that might be the replacement for Ritsuko looking green-eyed at Gendo when he suggests lunch -- jealously projecting the "if Gendo is that fond of you he's probably bedding you as well, and here's what I know his tastes are..."

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah I think Ritsuko was just being a bitch, personally. At least they are foreshadowing Gendou and Ritsy's relationship this time instead of it coming out of nowhere.

Also I think Gendou just likes her because he is so obsessed with his dead wife. He clearly regards Rei as less than human.

As I've said before Rei is his real doll.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:48 pm

I doubt that we're ever likely to get an answer--it's not like the next movie is going to contain a shot of the two in bed.

Interestingly, though, one of the unused TV scripts indirectly compares Gendo to the protagonist of Bruges-la-Morte, a novella about a guy who becomes sexually obsessed with a dancer who looks just like his wife. Yeaaaah...

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

First I've heard of them.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:05 pm

These deleted scenes are on the DVD, I'm guessing?

Anyway, I thought it was clear that(in NGE at least), judging from how polite and reserved they were around each other, Gendo and Rei were not in a sexual relationship. I got the feeling Gendo was trying to keep as distant as he could from Rei so he wouldn't become emotionally involved with her, since she was merely his means to get Yui back and not the end result.

Lonecow12 wrote:As I've said before Rei is his real doll.

:rimshot:
Last edited by Killer Bee on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Re: First I've heard of them.

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:These deleted scenes are on the DVD, I'm guessing?

Yup, I believe so.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:49 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:Also I think Gendou just likes her because he is so obsessed with his dead wife. He clearly regards Rei as less than human.

As I've said before Rei is his real doll.

Yeah, and this is his face when his favourite doll is going to break herself...
Come on, enough with this evil-Gendo theory, there's already Sadamoto out there that he's doing his best to mock him since he was not happy with only Kaworu...

KillerBee wrote:These deleted scenes are on the DVD, I'm guessing?

And of course on the BD as well.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Excellent post Hyper Shinchan. That about sums up my feelings on the subject.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Excellent post Hyper Shinchan. That about sums up my feelings on the subject.

Thank you child of Lilith; I just don't like how some people tend to see things black and white, surely Gendo used Rei for his own purposes but it doesn't mean that he saw her only as a tool, or that his affection was fake or only caused by her being a "substitute" of Yui, human relationships are more complicated than that.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:11 pm

I don't know if sex is out of the question, ever, in Evangelion. The notion isn't even that farfetched.

Also, could you point out this scene, I don't remember that line of dialougue in the movie. and I don't remember any deleted scenes on the DVD.
Not who you think I am.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Ritsuko and Rei scene is here. Hope that helps. On the 2.22 DVD/BD, deleted scenes are in sketch/storyboard-ish form and under the Extra titled "Omit Scene".
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks.

I remember now. It had that scene in the elevator where Asuka is sitting way back and a few others scenes.

No, I definitly don't think that it's an accusation of Rei/Gendo sex. I think she is just genuinly teasing her about her ugly, unfeminine underwear and telling her that she can get certain things off the comander if she asks, you know, like she could ask for pretier underwear budget or a dinner with him and his son there? You know? that kinda thing...

Edit: Wait, the topic is about him loving her, yeah, it's possible, many things are possible on that. He named her what his child would've been called had it been a girl so there is the possibility of parental love, but she looks like and reminds him of his wife, projecting his wife onto her and participating in sexual behaviour with her (In which case it wouldn't be love, just generally fucked in the head), or he could be, as others said, his just using her the way his used most other women in his life but has no actual interest. If there was a clear answer it wouldn't be Eva.
Not who you think I am.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:47 am

I dunno. To me, one of Rei's most important themes is virginity, in almost every sense of the word. In other words, she's a social, emotional, and sexual virgin, in contrast to her true identity as the mother of all mankind. Rei also holds an air of purity about her, which would go against her ever having had sexual relations with Gendo. So no, Gendo and Rei have not had sex. Handjob? Maybe.*

As for Gendo loving Rei, I don't think he truly did. He loved her for being his key to reuniting with Yui, but not for who Rei truly was. However, based on the fact that he does show emotional concern for Rei at times, it makes it difficult to discern whether or not he was fearing for Rei herself, or his key. In other words, I think Gendo cares for Rei on a certain level, but no more than that.

View Original Postberto wrote:I don't know if sex is out of the question, ever, in Evangelion. The notion isn't even that farfetched.

This mindset is what causes rifts to appear in the fandom over whether or not Asuka and Shinji had sex during the series; yes, it's happened.

* I kid.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:53 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:As for Gendo loving Rei, I don't think he truly did. He loved her for being his key to reuniting with Yui, but not for who Rei truly was. However, based on the fact that he does show emotional concern for Rei at times, it makes it difficult to discern whether or not he was fearing for Rei herself, or his key. In other words, I think Gendo cares for Rei on a certain level, but no more than that.

Gendou loves Yui. Is it any wonder that he responds so strongly to Yui's image, especially when it insists on throwing itself into the line of fire? Gendou's emotionality during his rescue of Rei from berserk 00 takes on a whole new meaning when you realize that he witnessed the Eva-related death of Yui in (I believe; not sure it's ever confirmed) that very test chamber. He's flashbacking, substituting self-sacrifice for Rei for his inability to save Yui.

But - at least in NGE - he's not in the least interested in her except inasmuch as she bears Yui's image - if he had been, he might have realized that she was a different person with different goals who was not planning on supporting his mad plan.

In Rebuild, on the other hand, where Gendou's entire plot appears to hinge weirdly on Rei developing into a humanlike mind (I can only assume to manipulate Lilith by way of Shinji and so finagle with the "contract" that Seele are so interested in), his treatment of Rei in 1.0 doesn't make a great deal of sense, but his relationship with her in 2.0 - a sort of grudging indulgence - actually fits rather better, and is one of the nicer touches in that clusterfuck of abortive development.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:25 am

what the heck?! why he will do such thing????

well as a HUMAN... i think you will also treasure the MEMORIES of your LOVED ONE right???

and thats the reason why gendo give too much attention to Rei... apparently not that the LOVE STUFF

haha!!
Last edited by Assasinate on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:31 am

On the one hand, Gendo is a selfish bastard who has shut off his heart from others.

On the other hand, people by their very nature grow attached to and love one another. You can't raise someone from childhood without the dead-eyed chibi growing on you.

You also can't be a dick one hundred percent of the time. It takes discipline to be an unloving asshole all the time, and every once in a while you are going to slip. I don't think Gendo cares about Rei on a conscious level except as a tool. Though when eva 00 went berserk, his concentration slipped, and some actual concern showed through. I think that she reminded him of Yui contributed to his slip.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:10 pm

You also can't be a dick one hundred percent of the time.

Unless you're Shinji mirite?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:But - at least in NGE - he's not in the least interested in her except inasmuch as she bears Yui's image - if he had been, he might have realized that she was a different person with different goals who was not planning on supporting his mad plan.

Rei's desire was probably returning to Lilith and that desire wasn't completely incompatible with Gendo's desire, I always thought that there's a big difference between what could have happened if Rei II was still alive and what eventually happened with Rei III; Rei II's last thoughts were for Gendo apparently he was her entire world (if you want to think about it cynically you could almost say that he didn't want her to die because he wasn't sure that she still wanted to help him after they placed her soul in another body).
You also can't be a dick one hundred percent of the time. It takes discipline to be an unloving asshole all the time, and every once in a while you are going to slip. I don't think Gendo cares about Rei on a conscious level except as a tool. Though when eva 00 went berserk, his concentration slipped, and some actual concern showed through. I think that she reminded him of Yui contributed to his slip.

I can agree with what you said (since I can't know what Gendo is really thinking, more than an asshole Gendo is a Machiavellian) but Gendo "slip" out of his usual attitude several times, during the mentioned 00 berserk incident, during her suicide attack against Zeruel and finally he doesn't really show anything but he decided to remove the seals on the 01 without consulting Seele in an attempt to save Rei from Armisael.
I don't really see how he could see her as a tool if he actually slipped out so many times, and the very idea that she's only a tool in his mind is a little hard to believe since "she can be replaced".
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:49 am

Rei's desire was probably returning to Lilith

I doubt it, considering what a big deal she makes about being afraid of losing her sense of self and how Lilith is this big scary great unknown she wants to keep away from and shit.

(BTW this is also a sex metaphor, srsly)
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:I doubt it, considering what a big deal she makes about being afraid of losing her sense of self and how Lilith is this big scary great unknown she wants to keep away from and shit.

(BTW this is also a sex metaphor, srsly)

...Yeah. Which is why it's important that she does have an instinctive urge to death which turns into an urge to return to Lilith once the Rei II and Unit 00 halves of her soul are reunited.

But the decision she makes in EoE is only tangentially related to that, because she says out loud that she's doing this to help Shinji. It's really a rather touching moment, but seeing as how it takes place at the same time as nude underage groping, dismemberment, more dismemberment, insanity, and the death of several main characters people tend not to notice.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”